The Republic WILL burn

OlBuzzard

Chapter 1: Introduction

This will be a multi-chapter story of how a sith lord watched for the fall of Vitiate and the rise of a new emperor over the empire before making his move to dominate the galaxy. It was his plan from the beginning to use deceit and cunning. He understood the power of the dark side. He understood the drive of humanity to free itself of a dictator. BUT, there was one thing he understood perhaps as much as anything: greed ! How easily people can fall into a trap when the right set of circumstances avail itself ... almost anything is possible. There were a number of other lessons he learned. Perhaps too many in enumerate ... Most of those he learned not from the hands of a careful sith who simply sought to train an apprentice to do his bidding... but rather from the powers of observation while hiding in the shadows!

Lord Scourge stood before his master listening to the rant of what seemed to be madness. His concerns for hundreds of years now seemed to be validated. Yet there was something else he sensed. This, however was illusive. What part of the dark side did he not understand that would seem to slip away from his mind.

"You're not listening!" Barked the emperor !! " What foolish temptation has entered your mind ? (he continued to rant). Don't you know that I can sense everything you are contemplating!"

"My lord !" Scourge begged "I continue to do all that you have bid me to do and willingly serve you as your right hand!"

Not satisfied with the answer from Scourge the angry sith, using the force, grabbed him by the neck and held him firmly!

Gasping for breath: "I sensed the presence of another darkness close by my lord!" Scourge insisted.

The emperor released his servant and reached out with his mind... but could sense nothing !! "Are you certain? he mocked. " Odd that that there is nothing for me to see? I can sense everything in this room and beyond ... even to the outer court yard!"

Scourge: " I give you my word! Upon my LIFE I sensed the presence of someone!"

"To what end?" demanded the emperor as he released his faithful servant.

"I don't know !!" Scourge responded as he began to regain his breathing with less difficulty.

At a distance behind one of several statues to the glory of the empire a lone sith sat quietly meditating. His mind strongly disciplined and focused on the task at hand. He had discovered it was easier for Scourge and the emperor to see what they wanted to see (each in their own way) rather than to confront them head on. The young sit had also witness the death of dozens if not not hundreds who had made the mistake of challenging either the emperor or Scourge. No ... that would not be a good idea. Instead a better path to the understanding of the dark side was to allow both men to see what they wanted (at least for the time being).

With time the student of darkness learned much about the force .. about the emperor and even Scourge. In time he, through meditation and growing in knowledge of the dark side sought out more to see the end of what had to be only the beginning of insight regarding the fate of both the emperor and Scourge as well. From time to time he sat quietly in the shadows .. listening to Scourge and the emperor while easing quietly into their minds gaining knowledge of their plans. With that knowledge of the darkness which the emperor had even hidden from Scourge the young sith began to focus his meditation on the emperor: his powers AND his plans.

Having touched the mind of Tenebrae (or Vitiate) the young sith soon realized the scope of power from the emperor. Knowing also the fierceness of raw power from Scourge he determined that in order to rise above them ... they both MUST be defeated. But how ? The direct approach would be foolish. Countless thousands had already tried and failed. This wasn't a matter of debate. This was fact.

How would he be able to better understand the totality of the emperors plan?

What could be done to stop the emperor (or was that even possible) ?

How to use the force to gain the knowledge he so craved without costing his life?

Only a handful of the emperors closest servants could even get close enough to talk with the one who would eventually bring both the Empire and the Republic to their knees ! Surely someone knew the answer! For several weeks the young sit watched at a distance and to carefully observe all who come to visit the Empires seat of power and the one who controlled it ! For months the sit watch patiently .. and faded into the shadows when anyone became suspicious of his presence. Soon the picture was becoming clear that there was more to the emperor than just an exceptionally powerful master of the dark side. Lord Scourge was becoming suspicious of the hunger and obsession of his master and was becoming increasingly uneasy with the possibilities of what lay ahead for the entire galaxy. That concern perhaps was the one thing that the young sith who watched it all unfold needed to keep himself hidden from both the emperor and from Scourge.

Months passed. The young sith observed those who could approach the emperor ... and who could not. Anyone who opposed the emperor paid the price. Those who served were used and often discarded. Some gladly listened to the nonsense of eternal bliss offered by the emperor ... and died in emptiness. Darkness seemed to cover the Empire like a warm blanket giving those who believed a false sense of security. All the mean time the young sith watched at a distance ... and learned.

He observed carefully as to what motivated people the most. Some would act out of fear. Others out of loyalty. Still so many would follow willingly at the promise of a brighter future when given the most basic pleasures of life. Pleasure seemed to work quite well for many with less effort and even less hardship. And for those who would not be motivated ... there would always be "other alternatives" that would guarantee results one way or another.

And with that his plan began to unfold. Now! Could he approach the right person without them realizing what was genuinely behind his actions.? Could he slip into their mind and get the answers his cravings so passionately demanded ? Without question ... And his power grew !

Even watching the false emperor Malgus proved both entertaining and useful.

The darkness that surrounded the young sit was in fact so thorough that only a few times did Scourge even recognize his presence. And with each time .. the young sith disappeared into the shadows of darkness both in thought and in deed.

Suddenly, while in deep meditation searching for knowledge of the dark side and of the force ... his thoughts were shaken. A most disturbing revelation of the future. Of one named Valcorian. But perhaps even more disturbing was another face. Whether one of light or darkness it did not matter. All that did matter was to understand what steps he must take to survive the on coming conflict between the two !

Dolthus used his skill and cunning to gather all that he could in knowledge and understanding of what was to come. Then he began to work quietly in the shadows. None suspected his handy work. Only a few knew him at all. But most of all his power and knowledge of the dark side grew. He mastered the art of cunning and deceit !!

EDITED

Edited by OlBuzzard

Chapter 2: Who and why?

With the final death of Tenebrae, Dolthus could sense the change in the force just as he had foreseen the emperor's demise had unfolded. The new emperor controlling the Empire was preoccupied with Malgus and Malgus with the alliance commander. The Republic had wasted no time pressing the apparent victory in saving the Meridian complex in Corellia. Time for rebuilding the ship yard was unquestionably a high priority. But the Republic wasn't the only one pushing to restore their military resources. The Sith Empire has suffered equally in loss of man and material while under siege from the Eternal Empire.

Dolthus used ALL of this to his advantage. The Empire needed allies. They needed a LOT of old fashion credits and contacts with those who had them. Over the last few years the young sith had made plenty of both, keeping them all well hidden and now sought the means of using both to create the chaos needed to make his next move. This alone provided a most powerful ally for the sith. He had mastered the art of cunning and lies to the point that countless thousands now listened to his voice and gladly did as he asked. There was even little or no difficulty in keeping his identity hidden since he never seemed to appear as the same person. Even here more lies and deception.

The stage was set. It was time to begin. Finding a test subject to put his plan into action was even easier than he first suspected. It needed to be away from the core of the empire or at the edge of Republic influence. The more remote, the better ! Finding his unsuspecting subjects for the drama ahead would be easy as he knew just the right bait to lure his prey into a false sense of ease and eagerness to do his bidding.

"The empire will reward you handsomely"! he bragged to two unsuspecting pirates. " All I need is for you to deliver these 6 crates loaded with supplies to the coordinates located on the outer rim !"

Receiving the down payment from the sith one of the two men was growing suspicious. "This was too easy" he thought to himself. "Is that why you met us here in this small out post?" He inquired curiously " I've seen junk yards that were more accommodating! I get the part about secrecy. But why here?" he insisted.

"In case you're wondering!" The sith began .. "We simply need to get these supplies to the hidden shipyard as soon as possible and frankly our ships are preoccupied with other business. It will be another 3 days before a transport is scheduled to show up ! This happens to simply be the closest station with these components.!"

As scarce as some supplies were that answer seemed to satisfy everyone ! Well for the most part !

"When did they set up a ship yard way out there?" Asked the leader.

"Oh, not long after the defeat of Valcorian and his so called eternal empire !" replied Dolthus. " We have several such bases hidden away until we have rebuilt our fleets again. "

The two pirates began to make their way to their ship. No one from the empire suspected anything! Moving the spare parts to a secret base to help with the reconstruction of the fleet seemed appropriate AND necessary! Nothing seemed out of place. And the more than generous fee for their time seemed fair. No one suspected the sith for a moment: especially the pirates.

Then suddenly a barrage of blaster fire erupted on the outskirts of the base.

"We're under attack by unknown ground forces!" someone reported to Dolthus.

Then three Republic light cruisers dropped out of hyperspace !

"What are they doing here?" demanded one of the pirates ! " Everybody run for it ! We need to get out of here FAST !"

In the meantime the meager forces of the Empire rallied what troops they could and a handful of smaller ships to face the oncoming Republic ! As a of the sudden chaos that followed no one noticed that the attacks outside of the small compound had stopped for the time being!

"You must protect that shipment at all cost! " The young sith insisted. "Quickly !" He demanded ! All ships provide cover until the shipment can escape !! We must do this: FOR THE EMPIRE !! "

" Heavy weapons fire on the surface!" reported the lieutenant on board the Republic lead vessel ! " But that seems to have stopped!"

"Confirmed sir!" informed a second officer watching his console carefully. "However there are several ships forming up and coming right at us now!"

"Identification?" the captain demanded!

" Two frigate class and a handful of fighters! I'd say 5 ... confirmed 5. ALL of them Empire configuration!" the young ensign reported. "Hang on sir! I also see a smaller craft behind them ! It appears to be civilian!"

"Try to disable and capture as many as we can, especially the civilian !" The captain ordered ! " It could easily be pirates working for the empire ! And I'm guessing that the empire is trying to protect that civilian ship so they can escape! It appears that the tip we received was accurate for a change !"

" Aye sir!" the Republic officer acknowledged "Preparing tractor beams!" Weapons are hot and standing by! Enemy ships are closing in and preparing to engage !"

Before either side could successfully execute their intended actions against the other ... A MASSIVE explosion occurred from the pirate ship causing a chain reaction and destroying two of the Republic ships. The third light cruiser was left in shambles: barely functional.

As Dolthos calmly watched set off a detonator which ignited a large cash of additional explosives scattered through out the buildings and left the entire remaining outpost lifeless. Quite pleased with what had happened and with only one Republic ship left and it barely functional, it was nothing for the young sith to slip away quietly without anyone being any wiser as to what had taken place.

With his first step of many completed with such seamless execution more followed with a few slight variations to each plot. Money flowed easily with the promise that so many looked eagerly for. Unfortunately the truth revealed final payoffs that were less than what anyone expected. Deaths finality made the concluding statement. A commentary of reality which would eventually reveal a much more harsh conclusion for anyone opposed to Dolthos.

On Odessen the commander spent an hour with general Daeruun discussing what seemed to be an unusual number of increased attacks by the Empire.

"All of these are out on the rim!" The commander insisted. " And besides that we have other commitments to the Jedi !" he reminded the general. "This couldn't have happened at a worse time ! We are stretched too thin ! I DON'T LIKE IT !" He complained ! "Republic and alliance resources may have improved some the last few months but NOT enough for a multiple front engagement ! That leaves the door wide open to get caught with our pants down !"

" I completely agree that we must keep our priorities straight the general insisted. " I also know that we have to do some investigating to make sure that the empire isn't trying to do an end run around our forces and surprise us in the middle of supporting the very thing we're trying to protect."

"Something is still out of place!" The commander insisted. "I'm going to discuss this with Lana, Scourge and Kira! I smell a rat at the bottom of this !! And before we get caught in a bad way we need some answers!"

EDITED

Edited by OlBuzzard
  • Like 1

Chapter 3: And what of Malgus

Without question Dolthus was counting on the war raging between the Republic and the Empire to continue to obscure his carefully managed steps. He had his own agenda. He also knew exactly which buttons to push in the minds of others to spar fear or how much and WHAT to promise his followers to get his desired results.

"Your fuel bill!" Informed aging C1-5K unit. " Everything on the preflight list has been completed and awaiting your approval sir!" He pointed out.

The young female pilot reviewed the work and made her way to the entrance of the ship "So go ... so far!" She replied calmly. Let me check the ships systems to confirm the fuel loaded and I'll sign off on the credits.

The space port was a smaller one. Nothing of particular interest. It had, over the years become a favorite stop for many a weary traveler needing food, lodging and fuel. Consequently it had managed to turn a tidy profit. And since it also had managed to serve as solid source of information the Empire liked it just where it was at. Located away from Ilum and yet close enough to open, unknown areas of space it was a very special location.

"OK Maxx !" The young female captain called to her own C2 unit. "Time to notify the rest of the crew to start making their way back to the ship. Looks like we deadhead it back to Corellia ! Looks over the ship with some degree of satisfaction. "At least we managed a good profit without getting pummeled to death this trip!" she sighed.

Close by .. in the shadows she is approached by single male figure dressed local traditional attire. "Forgive me for overhearing your concern for traveling without a load!" he began as he stepped into the light.

Startled: " What?" insisted the captain.

"Captain?" asked the stranger.

"Captain Leanna Tridrique!" the young captain replied "Who's asking?" she insisted. "What do you want?" she asked as she placed her left hand near her blaster pistol.

"That wont be necessary!" the stranger assured the captain.

"Call my own personal insurance policy to make SURE I don't!" she quipped holding her side arm.

The stranger grinned! "If you would like a small, but profitable, job I just the cargo for you. It's quick, easy and several thousand credits ... IF YOU are interested."

"You talk!" Leanna instructed "I'll be the one to decide what works and IF there is any real profit to be made!"

Not wanting to alarm the young entrepreneur the modestly dressed stranger carefully more into the light to discuss the business proposition: "It's quite simple. " He began. " I have a total of 35 canisters of a unique raw material needed at the Republic ship yard: the Meridian complex in Corellia. They need the contents badly. As it now stands it will be another 3 weeks before another transport is due to show up!"

"HMMM!" The captain walked toward the ship in doubt for a moment "How much does it pay!" she asked bluntly!

" Considering the how log the run is ... 5000 credits! Half now! Half upon arrival!" Surely that is more than generous !"

"What's the catch?" Leanna inquired.

"No catch!" The stranger informed calmly. "That is if your ship is fast enough!"

"Really?" the captain demanded while stepping up to him face to face: "Whos' capitol ship am I out running? Suddenly 5000 sounds more like a down payment!"

"Are you suggesting 10,000?" the stranger snapped back.

"NO!! 15,000 !" she replied firmly. " The last time I made that sort of run it cost me thousands in repairs that took nearly a month!"

"That's a little steep !! ... but under the circumstances I'm authorized to pay the extra ... same agreement though! 1/2 now and the rest upon delivery ... BUT delivery MUST be made within the next 15 hours !!"

The captain thought for a moment. "Where do I pick up the shipment? How long will it take to get it loaded?" She inquired.

The young stranger wanted the captain to be at ease (not raising any suspicions). "It will arrive here within the hour! he answered the captain. As for how long it will take to load properly and secured that will be up to you. The containers are environmentally controlled containers. Be sure the seals remain in tact at all times!"

"You didn't say anything about hazardous materials !" The price goes to 20,000 and not a credit less!" she demanded!

"The stranger remained calm so as to not alarm the captain or reveal any sense of trouble. " Very well! BUY not one single credit more. I'll see to your down payment as soon as the goods are loaded! I don't have to remind you of your contact once you arrive at Corellia!"

" All good!" the captain assured the stranger. " See you back here in a few! "

As soon as the stranger left a young boy, a rather energetic but somewhat inexperienced member of the crew quickly gained the captains attention "Soooo when do we leave?" he eagerly insisted. "Gonna bring a lot of credits from what I just heard !" he continued with enthusiasm.

"Settle down!" the captain insisted ! " just make sure the cargo area is properly organized and not piled with uncatalogued goods. Make sure it's done so we can find stuff when we need it!"

"You know !! " the youngster started .. " If I didn't know better I'd say you're more of a warehouse manager than you are a smuggler ! "

"Excuse me ?" The captain grumbled "Since when do I have to run a pig farm in order to be good at what I do ! If that doesn't work for you just let me know!" She exclaimed as she began to make her way to her cabin.

" And you're even buying into that bit about environmentally controlled substance ... Kind of makes me wonder what's really in the containers!" the boy retorted.

" Leave the ships business .. INCLUDING the cargo to me!" she snapped!

"OK ! " the youngster agreed quickly (knowing it was time to back down before things got out of hand) . " I'm just suggesting that it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more careful."

The captain knew that the boy was right. She also knew that sometimes it was best to keep some things to yourself. This was one of those times.

At the alliance command center on Odessen Theron, Senya and Vette looked over a disturbing report concerning the increased number of attacks on supply ships coming from the extreme edges of Republic space. The commander walked in noticing the discussion carried with it a tone of concern more so than normal.

"What seems to be the problem?" he asked.

Theron walked over to the commander with a data pad containing the information on not one or two but a total of 10 attacks on freighters within the last few days.

"Something is definitely going on!" he concluded . " Seeing these kind of attacks on the outer rim area just inside of Republic space is nothing new ... " (handed the commander the data pad) " But there's something else behind this I'm certain."

"Can Rass do something about stepping up the security on shipments to the Republic?" asked the commander.

" They're not THOSE kind of shipments!" Theron responded .

"Smugglers?" asked Ol Buzzard.

"More like independent contractors... " Theron started .. " And maybe some (or most) of them are or were into dealing in some form of contraband or at the least had ties to an interesting networks of suppliers !"

"What else is there?" asked the commander while leaning against a table.

"NOW THAT is where things get really interesting!" Theron reported.

Sanya spoke up: "We have unconfirmed reports that in some cases ships from the Sith Empire were showing up to stop the shipments and were being attacked by the Republic moments later!"

"Say that again!" The commander insisted. "That's a bit odd! I have similar reports from Lana that Republic ships have been attacked by the Empire as well. And of course they seem to have evidence that the Republic ships were attacked by a freighter ?"

Theron looked at a holo display were all of the attacks had been reported. "Do you have the coordinates of those attacks you and Lana discussed?"

The commander walked over to the computer and begin to access the data Theron requested. In a few moments the data had been loaded and displayed along with the information Theron had posted.

"On the other side of the map ... well almost" Theron observed. " And in every case there is a civilian freighter involved. That ship is always destroyed and POSSIBLY the one responsible for the Republic or Empire ships that are seriously damaged or taken out as well. "

Lana walked in to join the discussion.

"Any thoughts?" asked the commander.

"Under normal circumstances I would have immediately suggested Malgus!" Lana answered. " But after meditating on this for a while I'm convinced that there is something else ... very cunning, deceitful, illusive."

"Are you ruling out Malgus?" the commander inquired ... looking for either clarification or confirmation. "Let's face it .. this plays right into his hand. We get thrown off the trail or end stretched too thin to be able to track his whereabouts. At the VERY least it makes our job finding him a LOT more difficult. "

"No!" Lana quickly responded ... " I wouldn't rule out Malgus or the Sith empire either one. At least not completely."

The alliance commander stared at the holo projection map with the data still displayed of the location of the attacks.

"Lana, Theron, have Hylo and Gault meet with me in the situation room!" he commanded. " I bet there if there is anyone who can help solve this ... those two can without question do it !"

EDITED

Edited by OlBuzzard

Chapter 4: Odd Man Out

For the last 3 weeks Theron and Lana both had been following additional reports of similar incidents. Freighters, particularly independent, civilian or even a well known smuggler or two caught in the wake of an increasing number of suspicious affairs. It was not uncommon for transports to be attacked, especially with the heightened focus of the Sith Empire against the Republic.

Theron takes one last look at the data pad that Seyna provided before she left the command center on Odessen. "I still say there's a big piece of the puzzle we're not getting ! he insisted !! " I mean look at this" ... he continued. Then manipulated the computer / holo map and illustrated the points of each of the new attacks. "It just doesn't make sense !" he concluded.

"At least from what we see now!" Lana reminded. " I can almost sense the darkness around this!"

Theron put the data pad down and leaned up against the projector table "I agree that there is something really out of place. Do you think the emperor of the Sith Empire is orchestrating this?"

"Why?" asked Lana. " We're already at war .. and Darth Malgus has already severed his ties with the emperor. I'm guessing Malgus wants to take over the empire again. And to be brutally honest ... this just isn't his style. BOTH sides are being attacked! Or at the least ships from both fleets are reporting similar incidents. ALL of which are on the outer edges of the rim and away from both ? Or are they ?"

"Oh great !" Theron chimed in sarcastically " So now we have a nut case on our hands !"

"Theron!" Lana cautioned !

"OK!" he agreed softly. " Someone who is strongly preoccupied with blowing up civilian ships in front of Empire and Republic ships alike. And making it look like either an accident or a deliberate attempt to attack either the Republic or the Empire!"

"Sorry to interrupt!" came the voice of Hylo Viz over the com channel. " Gault is on his way to you right now. He said it was definitely important. Thought you might want a heads up!"

"Thanks Vis!" Theron replied. " Get the commander while you're at it and have him to report here as well. You bet he will be interested!"

"One step ahead of you !" Hylo answered. "He should be there any second !"

"He just walked in!" Lana noted, "Thanks again !"

""Any time!" said Hylo.

The commander walked on over to the area where Theron and Lana were standing.... "Any idea what this is all about?" he inquired.

"Not yet!" Lana responded. " Apparently he's coming directly here from the landing area!"

Which one?" asked Theron ... "we just added two more last week. Having just the one was getting too crowded.

"Two more landing pads ... three more schools, more civilian housing areas and now apparently I've been approached to look into getting support for advanced educational opportunities!" to be more precise!" the commander chimed in!

"Hard to believe!" Theron added. "How much we've grown. How much has changed since we first landed here!"

"I know !" Lana agreed. "And we're not done yet! So much more we need to add to Odessen now !"

"Suddenly I feel very tired!" Theron concluded!

"As long as there are no schools with my name on it .. I'm good to go!" the commander insisted.

"Buzz High ?" Theron quipped. " Nice ring to it !"

Gault walked into the command center "Sorry to be gone for so long ... but I had a most interesting visit with a few of my old buddies.!"

"And you're still alive!" Cracked Theron!

"I shot first!" Gault responded .

"You're on a roll Theron!" the commander chuckled !

Lana was less impressed. "Can we get on with business ?"

"Sure!" Gault replied "Why not? After what you hear you might want to load up that new hot rod of your and take it for a spin around the galaxy !"

The commander looked directly at Gault: "That sounds serious!"

"Spooky!" Gault insisted. I've spent the last 3 weeks (and then some) .. trying to track down information on bad guys doing what bad guys do best... they do all kinds of bad things... And often time leave a trail of bred crumbs scattered about that I can usually get to the bottom of!"

"And?" the commander inquired anxiously.

"And if you can believe it ... everything came out squeaky clean!" Gault continued.

Lana, Theron AND the commander all stopped and focused their direct attention at Gault! That got everyone's attention!

"So are you suggesting that all of these incidents have been "legit"?

Gault looked curiously that the threesome. "Well ... YES ... and NO!" Looking toward the new visitor " Let me introduce to you Leanna Tridrique. She's one of the better upcoming free agents in the specialized acquisition and transportation business. It appears that in this particular case whoever is behind this made one mistake: Survivors!"

The the group briefly exchanged greetings. Afterwards the group with the freighter pilot made their way to a more secluded area. Though it was more of a conference room setting .. the decorum was considerably more inviting to conversation.

" I can only imagine what you've been through ... but would you mind rehearsing what took place for us?" the commander asked calmly.

"Sure!" Leanna replied bluntly ... "In a word we were set up!"

"How so?" Theron asked.

The freighter pilot turned her attention to Theron .. " I had my suspicions at first ! The money was good. A small simple shipment that seemed to be on a tight schedule! I even checked the data specs back from the point of origin to the intended destination. Everything was legit !!"

"Excuse me?' Insisted the commander.

Leanna continued: " Everything was in order.... right down to the last detail. Heck ... I even contacted someone inside of the receiving dock at the yard as soon as we took off ... "

"Then what happened?" asked the commander.

"Just before we went into hyper drive I noticed that even though the cargo was in environmentally controlled containers that there was something out of place. At that same moment an Imperial ship dropped out of hyperspace VERY close to us!" the captain continued. Then without warning our cargo began to become VERY unstable. I knew that if we waited around to see what would happen we would dead in just a few minutes. So I ordered everyone to an escape pod. One of them was blasted as soon as we launched. Mine and one other was rescued later on."

"Your ship?" asked the commander.

"What ever was in those containers was powerful enough to almost vaporize my ship. The explosion caused severe damage to the Imperials. "

Gault spoke up. " This has all the earmarking's of an inside job."

"But WHICH side !" Theron insisted.

" Leanna you're welcomed to stay here as long as you like!"

"Theron you and Gault both work with Hylo and see what or how forged entries can be made into Republic data bases where that shipment was headed. Someone knows more than they realize or we have a spy in our midst."

"Commander!" called Senya " I need to speak with you about an urgent matter!"

"What's happened?" asked the commander.

"Within a matter of minutes after Gault landed with the captain of that freighter someone made an unauthorized communication off world from here on Odessen. I'm not sure of the exact location ... but there doesn't seem to be any outposts of any kind in that area of the rim. If had to guess I'd say they probably were communicating with a ship of some kind!"

"Anything else?" asked Buzz.

"Yes!" Senya replied "Whoever it was here on Odessen was using an Imperial code of some sort!"

Gault looked at everyone in the room "Ever feel like someone was baiting a trap!"

Theron answered: " But who is the trap for ... and are we the bait?"

"Or worse!" the commander added " Are WE about to be the odd man out ?"

EDITED

Edited by OlBuzzard

Chapter 5: Interlude : The Calm Before the Storm

Several days have passed. The freighter captain and the three remaining crew members have managed to find lodging and for the most part have tried to make the best of things. But for at least on member of the crew his legs are still a bit restless, his curiosity stirred and eagerness to get into places he probably shouldn't at a premium level of intensity.

Leanna had been busy looking for a means of finding a new ship. Her resources were stretched thin AND finding the kind of vessel she wanted were even more so ever since the invasion of the eternal fleet and it's dominion over the region. Her research had not gone unnoticed by key personnel in the Alliance.

Hylo Vis walked into the commanders office with a data pad of most of the inquiries made by Leanna: "Commander ... you should take a look at this."

"What's going on?" he asked calmly.

"It's our newest house guest!" Hylo responded. "I kind of feel bad for the whole crew really... what's left of them!"

" I agree!" the commander confirmed . " She lost most of her crew and her ship destroyed. I know it has to hurt!"

" It appears she's been makin' contacts with several know suppliers for a new ship!" Hylo informed the commander. " But from what I've seen in these reports .. she'd be better off buying direct from a manufacture right off the assembly line: full custom !"

"You're serious?" the commander questioned.

"Here! See for your self !!" Vis pointed out while handing the data pad over to the commander.

Ol Buzzard scanned over the information detailing each of the ships and their cost ... his eyes widened ! " You get the impression we should be in business?"

"Should we?" asked Vis.

"I was just ... "

Vis cut the commanders sentence short... "I know where you're headed with that. But let's face it!

1. We could use some of the ships out there for the Alliance.

2. We've also started our own ship yards.

3. Sooner or later this sort of thing was inevitable.

So I'm thinking that we find someone who we can trust in this sort of business... and KNOWS the ship business as well. We help them with a safe place to set up shop..."

Buzz interrupted " provide a little security! "

"You're getting the idea !" Hylo agreed. " Once they're on their feet.... !"

" I get the picture!" the commander continued to finish Hylo's potential request to hire someone for the job. " Go ahead .. get it started!"

"Already done!" Hylo informed her boss . " A good friend of mine is looking for a place to retire and open up a quiet little shop!"

The commander looked at Vis and grinned " How did I not see that one coming! I must be getting old or something! Anything else I should know?"

"Leanna's replacement ship will be here tomorrow for her to look at, along with a former resident of Mek Sha!" she informed the commander.

"That wouldn't by any chance be an old fellow that's an engineer?" the commander inquired curiously.

"One in the same!" Hylo exclaimed laughingly! " He's a hoot !! I like him. He'll fit in around here REALLY well! And ... frankly he's good at what he does and knows a lot of the right people too !"

" I couldn't agree more!" the commander replied.

Just a the conversation ended in walked Leanna and Lana both. Leanna was understandably concerned about something.

"He's gone!" exclaimed the freighter captain.

Hylon who had almost left the room turned back to see what was about to unfold.

"He?" asked the commander.

"Sorry .. " Leanna responded " It's Zornne.. Zornne Undiio. (Noticing the blank look on the commanders face) .. The kid off my ship !

"Oh?" Buzz responded calmly. " No I haven't met or seen him!"

"From what Leanna has told me... we should probably have some help locating him. " Lana pointed out!

"Energetic is he?" asked to commander.

Leanna smiled a bit ... then became serious ! " That's probably one way of putting it ! Is there a shooting range around here? It's become a favorite pastime of his for some reason ! "

The commander walked over to Leanna, Lana and Hylo Vis ... we have three: A target practice range ... probably more relaxed atmosphere sporting and not at serious as the two other training areas. Besides he can't get into the other two without proper authorization and clearance. "

"I'd start with those last two!" Leanna suggested.

"Surely not !" Lana insisted !!

Ol Buzzard looked at both of the ladies.. I'll use a speeder bike and go to the advanced training area. Lana, if you don't mind take Leanna over to the basic training course."

"Any thoughts about what you prefer to do if he's there? " Lana curiously inquired. "It is after all a restricted area!"

"Just how restricted ?" asked the freighter captain.

"Nothing too serious of an infraction!" Lana replied "But not opened to the general public. Several reasons: Safety protocols and for military personnel profiles and proficiency records are kept. Admiral Aygo tries to keep the fleet in top shape as much as possible."

Lana noticed an incoming call on her holo communicator from Senya "Yes?"

" I can't seem to raise the commander. Do you know where he is ?" Senya questioned. "His appointment has arrived!"

"Have HK escort her to the advanced tactical test and trials area!" Lana responded.

"Trouble?" Senya inquired.

"Nothing to be alarmed about!" Lana replied. "Have HK take our guest to him there. I'm certain it will be fine."

In a matter of minutes Lana and Leanna had quickly made their way through the Alliance compound and to an adjacent facility where combat training and target practice exercises were carried out.

"This is the "basic" training area?" asked the freighter captain. Looks to be considerably more advanced! What in the name of common sense do you people call advanced?"

Lana stopped briefly to give the captain some matter of confidence of their philosophy and strategy at the alliance headquarters. " The ADVANCED area is similar in several areas. Just a bit more intense with one thing that the commander absolutely insisted on... CIVILIANS intermixed with the programs."

"Programs?" asked Leanna.

"There are a total of 15 so far that are picked from at random. That way no one can get comfortable with and memorize enough of in order to give a false sense of what they have retained. Protecting the lives of civilians is something that the commander feels very strongly about?"

"And you Lana? How do you feel about protecting them?" the captain inquired bluntly.

"How do you mean?" Lana retorted with concern in her voice.

"I've heard rumors! " the captain responded ." You're a sith ! Just how does a sith fit into all of this?" she insisted.

"There was a time when my views on the force, life, death and everyone around me was different than what it is today." Lana replied, pleading her case.

"I thought sith saw anything less than dominion, strength, and hate as a sign of weakness. They use fear, anger and whatever is necessary to manipulate and destroy anyone who will not submit to their rule. They use brutal power and strength to rule over others ! They worship the dark side of the force. RIGHT ?" Leanna scorned.

Lana was a bit uneasy and uncharacteristically really wasn't up to debating sith philosophy with anyone. " That's not who I am. Not now! I try to do the right thing. I try to protect the rights of others and fight for those who can't protect themselves. But I'm definitely not in the Jedi courts. I've fought by their side and will continue to do so! Beyond that I really don't want to discuss this right now ! We need to find your friend. I don't think he's in any danger. But there is no sense in taking any chances."

In the mean time the commander had located the young man INSIDE of the training facility. The complex was quite large with 8 different fields of operation just for blasters and 8 more for the Jedi or other force users who wished to remain in the alliance. He had managed to no only break in ... BUT was on the outer perimeter ready to enter one of the testing areas when two seeker security droids were approaching Zornne Undiio.

"Halt!" One of them commanded.

Zornne ignored the warning and ran toward the simulation area.

This time BOTH units issued a much louder warning followed by a stun beam aimed close to the young man.

Again the first droid warned firmly and with even increased volume "Halt !! Or we will take stronger measures! This is your final warning!"

"Droids!" the commander called out loudly "Security protocol Alpha 2 level 10. Return to duty station and stand down. Commander Ol Buzzard authorization Alpha 1 level 1. Password Code: laughable"

Both droids immediately stopped pursuing Zornne and sped away to return to their station until needed again.

"Laughable?' Zornne cracked. "Seriously?"

The commander looked at the young boy: " You're welcome ! You almost got your butt zapped a good one !"

" You mean stunned!" the youngster corrected.

"Duly noted ... The next time I'll let you get zapped and see just how good you feel when you finally wake up !" the commander.

Zornne thought for a moment and realized that the commander really was making sense " Good point !" he finally agreed. " I apologize. I just wanted to get in some practice with my blaster. And I was sure you'd send me to the beginners area first."

"Maybe ... Maybe not," the commander point out sympathetically. " Come on. Walk with me. We'll come back here when you're ready. That is ... if you're interested."

The youngster walked along side of the commander, looking up to him. The view wasn't just from a perspective of physical size but as to someone who he did have respect. Making their way to the outer court the boy was still obviously disappointed in not being allowed to participate in the test area.

"Why do you insist on treating me like this?" Zornne demanded.

"How do you mean?" inquired the commander.

" I don't know .. like a kid.. a REALLY dumb one!" the youngster snapped back.

"Hold it right there ! You're not dumb, " the commander responded bluntly. "YES you do have a lot to learn. BUT learning is a part of life. If you want to grow in life and become something bigger than you are now ... then plan on learning a LOT and for a LONG TIME ! That's just called life."

Seeing that Zornne was still upset and frustrated the commander took a large coin out of his pocket and showed it to him. "Think you can hit this with your blaster ? I mean if I toss it in the air?"

"I think so! Yeah ... maybe !" Zornne replied.

With that the commander tossed it up a good distance so that if the youngster did in fact shoot it would be toward the ceiling. Quickly Zornne with one smooth motion grabbed his side arm and simply fired and hit the coin in mid flight.

"Better than average!" the commander admitted. "But do you know how to properly USE that blaster!"

"Sure!" the boy admitted. "Point this end at the target and shoot!" he said using his index finger indicating the flash suppresser on the end of the barrel. "

The commander looked at the youngster " That was what I thought you might say! Let me explain something to you. There is a lot more to using a blaster than just killing people. Sometimes it's more important to know when to NOT pull your weapon from that holster and simply having a cooler head. One of the reasons we have this training area is to make sure that our people are trained to know when to shoot .. and sometimes when to stop and pay attention to your surroundings. AND the difference between the two. Better to learn here than if faced with that kind of a choice and make a serious mistake with innocent people involved. "

" Now you're starting to sound like a Jedi or something... not a famous smuggler who's blasted his way out of more situations than I'd ever care to count!" Zornne responded.

"Well ... it's true that many of my friends are Jedi. And I have made some changes in my own life style in the last few years. There's a lot more to using a blaster than just pulling a trigger and shooting and knowing WHY you're doing and the consequences of your actions. Until you know the difference between making that kind of a choice and why ... you're not ready for this advanced range. You're a good shot! No question about it. Trust me!" Seeing that there was something really eating at the youngster the commander continued " Look .. you seem like a good kid ! What's your story?"

"Not much to tell really!" Zornne replied. " Mom and dad were both killed during the invasion and occupation of that tyrant from Zakuul. I managed to get by for a few weeks at home... until the food and everything else ran out. I met Leanna on the streets by accident. She felt sorry for me and took me in. I'm pretty good with starship engines and designing stuff!"

"It's my experience that your meeting your captain wasn't just an accident, " the commander insisted. " Take it for whatever it's worth! And I'm truly sorry to hear about your parents. That's tough on anyone!"

"So you believe in destiny?" asked the youngster.

" Not like the fanatics to!" the commander responded. " But I do believe that so much of life is about choices. And it sounds like you and Leanna both at least tried to make some good ones. And when the time comes and you have grown up enough you will understand the difference between shooting a blaster and knowing how and when to use it: for good or evil! "

"Everyone in our business seems to think other wise !" Zornne insisted.

"Everyone in your business makes choices. " the commander pointed out. "You will soon learn that those choices ALSO have consequences. Those consequences will lead you down a path of some sort. Many of those paths will lead you to a place you REALLY DON'T want to walk!"

" Now I know you sound just like a Jedi!" Zornne concluded!

"I couldn't agree more!" agreed Satele who had arrived but chose to stand hidden so as to not disturb the two. " I think you should give a lesson to our young padawans. "

"Satele!" the commander acknowledged. " I remember the meeting! I guess time slipped away ! My apologies !"

"Under the circumstance commander ... Your work here was needed and equally important. Come!" the Jedi beckoned. " I some information that may be of benefit to everyone here !"

Zornne recognized the Jedi master and stood quietly to one side out of respect, but couldn't help but to wonder what her presence at the Alliance headquarters was all about.

" You too young one!" Satele instructed. "I'm sure your captain will want to know of your whereabouts. "

With that the threesome made their way back to the central part of the alliance headquarters.

EDITED .

Edited by OlBuzzard

Chapter 6: Find the spider : Then Feed It !

Satele now on Odessen sat across a table in a conference room with several members of those closest to the commander. Of late an increasing number of attacks which independently seemed to be the results of both Republic and Empire intelligence discovering covert shipments or attacks upon independent contractors. Gault had been on a facts finding mission of sorts for a few weeks and then there was Theron!

"How is Theron ?" asked his mother.

The commander spoke up: "Theron is on assignment right now at an unknown location for an unspecified amount of time!"

Satele remained calm : "I see! Then perhaps my presence here is more apropos than I originally believed."

"How?" asked the commander bluntly.

"For several months now I have sensed a darkness that is set to unbalance the force and in favor of darkness without question," Satele replied kindly. " This is unquestionably not the work of Malgus. I have focused on this specifically now and it is still illusive." she explained.

"Did you say illusive ? " Lana asked. " Scourge has approached me with a similar experience. As has Kira. I have since tried to meditate on this as well. But as you have pointed out... IT or whomever THEY are ... it's quite illusive. Scourge mentioned sensing this precise disturbance once before. But that was YEARS ago when he severed the emperor. Even then those moments lasted only for a moment or two. As you have obviously experienced and reported Master Satele: Illusive."

"Gault is on his way here right now with some interesting findings of his own!" Senya reported. " I spoke with him just before we came in here. As urgent as it sounded I'm surprised he's not here already."

"This all has the earmarks of trap of some sort." Hylo Vis pointed out. " Question is who is it really for?" If it were not for out connections to General Daeruun this thing could get REAL ugly if the wrong part started implicating each other. "

"But mess for who?" The commander pointed out! "We've got to get some more information and fast before this gets out of hand!"

Gault entered the room : " No need for everyone to stand up... though you may want to remain seated when you hear what I've uncovered (the hard way I might add). Oh and umm commander ther's a pretty good chance you might happen to hear about a couple of missing ship reports from a couple of obscure listening out posts ... I'd just let it slide!"

"Just a couple?" the commander asked in jest.

"Well you know how it is when you're in a really big hurry... One, two or maybe SIX ... who really keeps track of that sort of thig !" Gault cracked as though it were all in a normal days work. " What I DID find out:

** Someone has some REALLY deep pockets. I mean it's obvious that someone has credits to burn ... and THEN some.

** Whoever this is... is also exceptionally good at covering their tracks.

OH By the way: I had to bring along a few of my contacts. Ten to be exact!"

Lana looked over at the commander: " This ought to be good!"

Gault grinned from ear to ear "Oh it does ... it really is THAT good !"

The commander swiveled his chair: changing it direction and looked more directly at him. "It's not going to be one of THOSE kind of days? ... Is it?"

"Commander!" Gault pleaded " I'm disappointed. Now just sit tight and I'll fill you in on the details.. well just the good parts ! Now where was I ... OH yes! I'll cut to the interesting parts.

** Let's see ... well funded

** Obviously has a LOT of contacts.

** No one wants to tell who it is.

** We tried to track a few of them.

The commander interrupted: " Wait ... you tracked them?"

Gault continued while walking the floor: " Ten of them to be exact. I thought that if we put a tracker on their ship we might find out where they were heading. IF ALL TEN ended up at the same place ... Or even HALF for that matter that we might be on to something."

"And?" the commander asked somewhat impatiently.

"And three of the 10 !" Gault replied bluntly. " But that was only the start. Before we knew what was happening each of my contacts and myself were immediately running for our lives. We swapped / traded / borrowed a whatever kind of ship we could just to loose whoever was tailing us. I used a portable holo device to make sure we kept all of our records and data where we could keep it and I dropped a data bug into the main system of those ships we borrowed. BUT the one thing that I do know for a fact... there is someone out there with a lot of resources and apparently are making an impression on the both sides of the isle: Republic and Empire alike."

"BOTH?" the commander insisted

Gault looked seriously at the alliance leader " YES ! BOTH ! That was one thing more I've uncovered."

"But we are already at war!" Senya stated, though somewhat puzzled. "This doesn't make sense!"

"Who benefits form something like this?" the commander demanded. "Certainly not the alliance ... we've sided with the Republic!"

Satele turned and looked up suddenly at the wall behind her! A faint noise in an adjacent air duct caused everyone to stop suddenly and assume an offensive stance.

"Whoever you are come out with your hands behind your head and move VERY slowly if you want to live!" Senya demanded.

"OK!" exclaimed a familiar young male voice " Just don't blast me to pieces!"

"ZORNNE!" the commander called with frustration. " That's a good way to get hurt! Come in here right now! Slowly!"

"I'm coming! " the youngster replied with a low keyed voice.

Once inside several members of the group looked at the young man with a great deal of displeasure. But the commander called him over to his chair. " You might as well grab a seat and hear the rest !"

"What?" Senya questioned.

"Why not! " the commander responded ..."He's already heard the rest. And I'm guessing he's wanting to know what we're going to do with the people behind this mess. "

" I know what I'd like to do!" Zornne informed the group.

"Revenge?" asked Satele.

"Well ... maybe!" the young man replied once again using a softer voice. " But to start with we need to get to the bottom of this. So why not just fix a big trap of our own. Make it big enough that whoever is behind this is either greedy or stupid enough to fall for it!"

Gault walked over to Zornne and put his hand on his shoulder. " I like the way you think kid! But somehow as thorough as these people are something tells me that they would send out a few messengers to see just how authentic it is before the REAL brains behind this operation comes out to play. "

The commander grinned then chuckled lightly.

"NO!" exclaimed Lana. "OH NO !! NO WAY !!! I've seen that look before And it ALWAYS spells trouble."

The commander stood to his feet: " Time to get to work people. Gault: set up a meet with your colleagues we're not done with them by a long shot. There are some details we've over looked somewhere! Find it! Senya, Satele and Lana it would be REALLY nice if all of you could focus on this with the force along with Kira and if necessary Scourge and see what or WHY this is such a mystery. "

"Speaking of details!" Gault interrupted there's a couple of issues regarding !"

The commander cut his somewhat unscrupulous friend short "No Gault ... no extra bonus this trip. Besides I have a feeling we're going to be coughing up a few credits on some missing ships !! " He then turned to Hylo "Here take this node ... it has the coordinates of a currier on stand by for emergency coms with Theron. Just one word to relay "RAZZO".

Hylo looked curiously at the alliance leader: "OK! sounds a little odd ... but that works I guess!"

The commander looked at everyone for a final word before each followed up with their assignments ... "If there is a spider weaving a web ... let's find it and feed it! Right now as it stands if we go out there blindly looking for it ... I rather suspect that is EXACTLY what they want ! And we will fall right into their trap!"

Gault stopped everyone as they were about to leave : "There is one other thing that you should know. Whoever this is REALLY hates the Republic .. or the EMPIRE. Depends upon who you are talking to. Apparently that is how they have so many friends or allies or whatever is the right term! Right now both sides are trying to kill each other off and the Empire ESPECIALLY just can't wait to see the Republic burn to the ground !"

" A little old fashion ear tickling?" asked the commander "Promise everyone what they want to hear ..."

Gault smile reflected that of a greedy salesman " Then give them the shaft !"

"In the meantime whoever THEY are get all the contacts, information that they need or help that they want " Lana concluded. "At least until the unsuspecting victims get their FINAL payment."

Gault looked at the commander. "That my friend pretty well sums it all up in a nutshell !"

"So many people are hurting right now!" the commander exclaimed. " And they are being used without realizing it. Greed, cunning, deceit, and without question betrayal and killing off anyone who could expose them. That sounds a lot like to me someone from the dark side alright! Scourge is on to something! Though I doubt seriously this time it's Tenebrae. Just not his style. Whoever this is ... pretends to be generous at first. That seems just to be a way to dupe their prey into a false sense of security. "

"I agree!" Satele and Lana said simultaneously.

"And with all of the security clearances and details provided at first it all seems so legitimate!" Lana pointed out. "Which reminds me ... we have someone on Odessen who has been communicating using an Imperial code. It happened again. This time Vette is doing some interesting work tracking down some specific details on the last attempt. If it happens again we WILL know who and where !"

"Come we have much to do!" Satele continued.

"Senya, Lana and Satele left to find an appropriate place to discuss further the situation at hand .. and to meditate on what might be the first hint of resolving the illusive mystery.

EDITED

Edited by OlBuzzard

Chapter 7: How to Feed a Spider

Satele sat quietly at a large oval shaped conference table in a moderate sized room which was set aside for those well practiced in the ways of the force for meditation and group discussions. She noted the modest decorum of Jedi artifacts and even two artists renderings of ancient Jedi temple ruins of the past. Kira Carsen, Sana-Rae and Lana along with seven Jedi associated with the Alliance were seated in no particular order around the table . Their expressed purpose was to find a crack in the seemingly seamless mysterious attacks on both the Republic and Empire alike. Kira observed master Satele's review of the paintings.

"Ever wonder WHY?" asked Kira.

"I'm not sure I follow your question", Satele answered kindly.

"Did you ever wonder why there are so many Jedi Temples that lay in ruin as a result of destruction from the Sith and most Sith ruins are at the hands of someone else and never the Jedi?" Kira inquired more earnestly. "Very rarely do the Jedi simply close a temple and move to a new location. Our temples and dwellings are so often destroyed by the Sith Empire."

Satele stopped and thought for just a moment, "I would suppose that many would suggest that the Jedi are always too weak never insightful enough or strong enough to stop the sith. Others might simply see the Sith as a group of fanatics who will stop at nothing to assert themselves over the lives of others. The Jedi are not a police force to the galaxy, but rather simply we try to be the guardians of peace. Often times that comes with a price as standing against the darkness of the sith so often does!"

Lana listened carefully as the discussion was quite somber, reflecting the truth of the price so many Jedi had paid time and time again at the hands of the Sith Empire.

Satele, ever so mindful of everyone in the room continued : " We should always reach out to others Kira. ALWAYS. The force always seeks balance. We must trust in the leadership of the force and be ever vigilant of the task ahead of us. Fear, destruction, hate, anger and greed are not our ways. Not everyone who starts out in darkness remains there. And, unfortunately not everyone who starts out following the light side of the force remains there either."

Scourge walked in and changed the mood of the conversation. "What help can I do to be of help to the Jedi this day?" he asked firmly.

Satele spoke up quickly "You think you might be able to help us unravel the mystery behind these bazar attacks?"

Scourge slowly paced the floor in the room as one slightly agitated with his surroundings. "The one we're looking for I do not believe to be connected to the old emperor. If his presence were returning I believe that many of us in this room would sense it!" Scourge insisted. " This one's identity is illusive and has been for a long time. They practice hiding in the shadows frequently finding others to do their work. Using deceit and fear combined with a false sense of the promise of easily gained riches for success to gather his followers. Whoever this is, has waited since the last days of my old emperor Vitiate just prior to the fall of the Sith Empire at the hands of Tenebrae's last host: Valkorian. I could sense a presence in the shadows probing my thoughts .. but only for a brief moment."

"Any idea who was behind that?" Kira asked bluntly.

"I was never able to focus on the source of that illusive demon, " Scourge responded quickly. "I would imagine that this individual has managed to learn a great deal about the mind ... it's subconscious state and how to walk quietly without creating a disturbance or how to remain hidden."

"I agree!" said Satele. " And for that reason we should be cautious. We must not be discovered. Not just yet! We must focus on the Force and seek guidance to unravel this mystery. Nothing more! We could accidentally tip our hand too early."

Lana looked toward Scourge: "Are you certain this is not Tenebrae? That somehow we have managed to overlook something and he has returned?"

Scourge turned to Lana "I'm quite certain !" he exclaimed. "It is entirely possible that while Vitiate was still alive that someone else ... another sith ... someone else strongly connected to the force was able to and in deed had a similar vision of Tenebrae's ascension and JUST as possible the emperors final destruction. "

"So what is he really up to!" Senya insisted.

Sana-Rae spoke up : " Not of light ... only darkness surrounds this mystery. Many willfully follow his leadership. I see many in fear others in pain and many more to follow bowing . I also sense great darkness moving like a cloud. Death and destruction are close at hand. A lie within a lie. A master of ruthlessness and cunning. "

As the group embraced the force and sought answers in quiet meditation another group from the Alliance took a somewhat different more direct approach to the situation at hand. If ever there was anyone knew how to play someone else in the art of graft and ill-gotten gain it was Gault. He could make an experienced scam artist working for the Hutt Cartel look like a saint. And in deed had scammed the Hutt Cartel on more than one occasion and managed to receive a gratuity from other members of the same coalition for a job well done in the process !!

Under the direction of the alliance commander Gault had no problem locating another source from which Gault would stage his won version of infiltration into the network established by the cunning sith. Now that he had established communication with a lead or two it was nothing (to him at least) to sneak in the back door of just about any establishment on the outer rim and make contact with someone with a discrete but assured contact with an employee of someone connected to the source of their impending trouble. Making that trip to the obscure location took less time than expected. With little time wasted the sales pitch needed was even simpler.

"Trust me my friend!" Gault began while placing his hand on the shoulder of his new best friend. . "You'll never regret this! I'll make that 10,000 credits your received for the clearance passes you forwarded to your contact look like play credits . Just send this nice little care package to our esteemed collogue in appreciation for his efforts in restoring order to this remote part of the galaxy. "

The somewhat confused Ishi Tib reached out his hand as Gault handed him the equivalent of 5000 credits in gold. This form of payment was rare in deed. That said it's value was seen as a universal commodity for payments and exchange and seemed to make the sales pitch that much more genuine.

It will seem like a cheap paper weight" ... Gault continued. "Be sure to meet me here for the rest of the payment. And I'll be sure to tell your employer how your loyalty is so unquestionably irreplaceable! I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it ! Now don't forget ... That shipment for me is a top priority for the Empire !! Use the express route and sent it straight to the man himself! If there are any over charges I'll be sure to pay up the next time we meet."

Without saying another word (or allowing his new business acquaintance to get a word in edgewise ) Gault slipped away with glowing reassurance that the entire affair was executed better than expected. With that concluded he made his way directly back to his ship and wasted no time leaving the remote outpost. As soon as he made the jump into hyperspace he made contact with Hylo Vis.

" All done here!" he bragged. "Went exceptionally well I might add " he concluded.

"I'll let the commander know!" Hylo responded. " Now then get to your last stop and wait for further instructions."

"I'll be here until the clock runs out or I hear other wise!" Gault insisted. "Out!"

Vette walked up to Vis standing next to the alliance communications center who had just signed off with Gault. "What's the word?" she asked calmly.

"Well it's a little iffy to be honest. The Jedi and the other force sensitives are in one room trying to sort things out. Gault is back out on the rim trying to act like he's not getting noticed by the wrong people. Theron: Frankly I have no idea what he's up to in the middle of all of this: Some sort of special assignment that's so hush-hush that his own mother a Jedi Master is in the dark ... Malgus is still on the loose somewhere (I think we've actually lost track of him ) and the Sith Empire is at war with just about everyone not willing to call them "MASTER".

Vette didn't seem too shook " And you seem to think this is odd ? Seriously? More like par for the course if you ask me!" she concluded.

Hylo looked at Vette and grinned "SURE !! You're absolutely right !! Makes perfect sense ... (to someone I guess )!! Oh Vette! Have HK, Oggrubb, Jorgan and Admiral Aygo repot to me in OPS ASAP ! Closed door meeting !! Boss has a grocery list of things to do as long as your arm ... Including a few items for the civilians as well !"

"Got it!" Vette replied cheerfully "On my way!"

Vettes' analysis, strange as it might have seemed was accurate. Theron was indeed meeting with two specialists assigned to the SIS also on a distant moon on a remote installation for the Sith Empire. One of the few survivors in a very recent attack costing the Empire three heavy cruisers had managed to gain the attention of both the Republic and the Empire. The "official reports" indicated that the Republic had set a trap using an independent contract freighter as bait and attacked the Empire cruisers that came to investigate.

"Someone inside of the Sith controlled outpost set up all of the clearance codes to make the shipping manifests look legitimate!" Theron informed his two associates. "That just doesn't happen without someone on the inside!"

"So the details become the lead?" the two concluded.

"Yes .. Loth-Wolf and Nexu you are both correct!"

"Sir.. ?" The young femal began. " Ellii and both already know each other. "We originally met several years ago right after the Eternal Empires invasion!"

"Thinna was out numbered in a bad cross fire on Alderaan near their defensive tower," Ellii continued. "But unfortunately things really went sideways. I managed to draw fire from the enemy just fine!"

"But in the end when the dust cleared I pulled him to safety and dressed his wounds!" Jaihn exclaimed.

"We actually work quite well together!" the young man insisted.

Tinna Jaihn looked at the young human male: Ellii Unne, then smiled. "Yeah! I suppose we do at that !"

Theron cleared his throat.. " Sorry not trying to spoil the moment, but we do have work to do!"

Bringing up a holo projected map of the area Theron began to rehearse the task in front of the two agents. It would be tough to get in ... if discovered extremely tough to get out.

"Both of your suits are light weight .. but heavily integrated with technology to assist your already honed skills," Theron pointed out carefully. Your blasters have two settings: rapid fire and EXTREME rapid fire. I believe that both of you are familiar with most of the rest of your defensive packages in these suits. Both of you seemed to be extremely adapt to some rather impressive defensive moves with extreme emphasis on agility and speed."

The planning and briefing continued for over an hour. The plan over all seemed simple enough. But executing it would be more challenging. Get in ... get the data file and get out. If all three could be done with minimal resistance and contact with the personnel at the station even better! The estimated time for the entire OP was less than 30 minutes.

" We wont let you down sir," Tinna assured Theron!

"Back up plan for evac?" asked Ellii.

"You have that data coded into your implant sequencer!" Theron replied. " Once you have what we need make for the tower at the far end of the out post. One the other side of the fenced area you will see a large group of trees and several small bushes. Hit the green tracker button on the left sleeve cuff of your suit and you will locate your escape module. It works in the same principle as an escape pod from a ship only you will attach to the side of my ship when we fly by. If all else fails I'll just land and grab you the old fashion way!"

Theron watched the scanner on his ship anxiously with no word or remote prospect of hearing from the two operatives. "They been in there over 45 minutes!" he thought to himself! "This can't be good!"

Moments later a series of explosions at the far end of the installation away from the tower erupted. The ensuing activities that followed demonstrated just how well the twosome really did work together! They made an absolute folly of the entire defensive network of soldiers. Two more explosions followed and again the two agents managed easily to climb over the fence of the compound away from the tower in hopes that their means of escape had not been discovered.

"Any bets on our pod being undetected?" asked Tinna.

" NOPE!" Ellii replied firmly. "Only question is what do we want to do as a counter move?"

"Got the answer right here in my little hand!" his friend pointed out with a twinkle in her eye.

"A remote detonator?" Ellii questioned.

"And just where did you get that?" her companion questioned. I don't remember that being issued to us earlier!"

" Just watch and see!" Jaihn laughed.

Moments later three explosions erupted from the central command center. Black smoke belched out long after the debris landed scattered in all directions.

Moments later Theron landed just outside of the compound in a remote area hidden with a thick forest.

"We should go!" Insisted Tinna

"We are !" Theron replied calmly

"NO !! I mean RIGHT now!" she insisted

Theron hit the vertical thrusters just as a massive explosion was set off sending a powerful shockwave and debris in virtually every direction!

"Well ... that was subtle!" Theron concluded calmly. "Please tell me that you found what we are looking for!"

"Yeah !" Ellii responded. "It's all here as you requested (handed over the data file to Theron). "I haven't seen all of it. But I think that as soon as you find a good place to land this ship safely you do so! You aren't going to like what you see!"

EDITED

Edited by OlBuzzard

Chapter 8: Throw Out the Welcome Mat

With the situation becoming more evident that that there was more than likely a wild card now entering the war between the Republic and the Empire the Alliance commander thought it prudent to stir up a few things with some plans of his own. As a result several plans were set into motion. And sensing that at least one person in particular would probably be getting into trouble trying to discover things on his own, the commander enlisted the help of a certain young man that was a part of Leanna's crew. His enthusiasm and natural abilities could be turned into an unexpected source of ideas ... or maybe, if nothing else, it would keep Zornne out of trouble. Well that was the plan at least.

"I fail to see what use you plan on making of that compound!" Dr Oggurobb exclaimed. "It was supposed to be a reusable liquified rubber material that when mixed with just the right amount of my new bio-gel with a possible nanite inhibitor to act as a stabilizer. Yet ... it seems that the nanites are still a far cry from perfection. About the only it does now is become a very sticky mess that can't be cut away with any thing less than a Jedi saber. Or perhaps turn into a giant rubber ball that has a significant return power ratio that is almost dangerous: particularly when fired as a projectile!"

"Then you wont mind if I borrow some of the liquid goo then!" Zornne pleaded. "The commander said you'd be happy to help. And this will definitely go a long way in completing my special project !"

"I can hardly see how!" the brilliant scientist rebutted "But if you insist!" he reluctantly agreed. "How much do you need?"

"How much do you have?" asked the youngster.

"I limited the first production to 50 standard drums used by the freighters union to refuel ships, " Oggurobb replied. " If you need any more than that it will have to wait. I still need to finish approving the final programming for the new defense droids that are being deployed!"

"I saw those!" exclaimed Zornne. He started to complain about the lack of design creativity to the scientist but suspected that the ego of the Hutt might be too sensitive for critiques of someone his age. "Those seemed .. well pretty darn good !" Zornne acknowledged.

"They look simple don't they ?"Oggurobb pointed out. "And they're not that large. About twice the size of an oversized trash receptacle. But hidden inside each one there is enough energy to support their shield generators for a minimum of 3 hours without recharging while still maintain a steady stream of maximum fire power output during that same period of time. I saw the beauty of a simplistic and unsuspecting object strategically placed in an open area that might be other wise difficult to defend!"

"Or you could use them in a narrow passage area where your team is haplessly out numbered!" Zornne eagerly pointed out.

Oggurobb thought for a moment.. "Hmmm! Yes. I suppose that could also be true! If these droids were stationed in their passive mode no one would suspect what was packaged inside until it was too late to react. The attack sequence could be initiated either automatically or (for best results) activated manually. The end results would leave the enemy in a very difficult situation at best !"

"Any chance these things can fly?" asked the youngster.

"I thought about it!" Oggurobb confessed. " All I need to do is add a simple thruster and gyro unit to the bottom. Easily adaptable and extremely functional. But for now that will remain an upgrade for the next batch out of production. "

Zornne said nothing else simply made his way to the supply level of the shop and picked up an assortment of tools, equipment, spare parts and of course the 50 containers of the goo from the lab storage area. For the next 3 days he worked as hard as anyone gladly following instructions from the commander.

"Are you sure that Oggurobb said it was OK to use THAT MANY of his new droids?" The commander questioned.

"Hey! It's really not a problem!" Zornne insisted. " Besides I only took 12. He had plenty left over!"

"Zornne! It doesn't work that way when we're planning our defensive network strategy!" the commander pointed out ! "We are counting on everything working together as a part of a bigger strategy! And what on earth are those extra pods underneath them? They look like thruster packs robbed off of ... something else.. And I'm almost afraid to ask what's in those canisters! How many did you say there were?"

" I thought this was a last minute addition to your already beefed up defenses. Besides you did say you wanted me

to use my imagination!" Zorned reminded the commander "Soooo ... let's just say that if you want to irritate someone: This should do the job! And it wont be easily removed from from Oggurobb said! As for how many ... he gave 50 large drums of the stuff. And I divided it up. I lost track! Over 200 I think ! You wanted to frustrate the enemy! Trust me ... from what Oggurobb said ... this will DEFINATELY do just exactly that !!"

"Well! " exclaimed the alliance CO ... IF HE said it ... then we both can take him at his word!"

"I've got to ask you something!" the youngster insisted. "Is there something going on that I should know about ?" the youngster inquired curiously. " I mean what's with all of this that we're doing? This planet does have a good defensive system? RIGHT? "

"Yes there is a great deal happening. And I suppose I should fill you in on what I can." The commander began. " Ever hear of Vaylin?"

"Yeah! Her brother was the one responsible for my family's death!" He replied. " And I don't get why he and his mother are both here!"

"Fair point!" the alliance commander agreed. " Several years ago Arcann wanted me and many of us dead. Senya, his mother, along with Lana did what was necessary to rescue me from Arcann and brought me here along with hundreds of others to start a new beginning. To stand against the emperor .. who was actually named Tenebrae. A show down between me an Arcaan was inevitable. And one day that took place. He and I fought a fierce battle. His mother believed that she could reach him if we were able to separate Arcaan from his fathers influence. At the end of that battle he was nearly killed. His mother essentially rescued him, nearly giving up her own life to restore his and turned him to a better life and a new man. I had a choice. I chose to give him a chance to prove himself. He has since shown to be a trusted ally and a good friend. In the mean time Vaylin in her untethered wrath attacked this planet with a significant part of the eternal fleet. We some how managed to survive: in part thanks to Senya and Arcann. The entire planet took a beating. From that day forward all of us in a command position of responsibility have worked as much as possible to improving our defensive posture and strategy for Odessen !"

"Do you think we're in any real danger?" Zornne asked calmly.

"There is ALWAYS that risk! " the commander pointed out! " I wanted you to help out with a few surprises. You have a knack for the unexpected. That is exactly what I need right now! I think that will lead to a lot of frustration. The more frustrated our enemy is the more mistakes they will make. The more mistakes ... the BETTER I like it !"

"Any word from your friend Theron? " asked Zornne.

"I wont hear from him for a while!" Buzz replied deliberately evading the issue.

Leanne walked up to the commander and Zornne who were still working on the the last of their surprises. "You two having fun?"

"That comes later!" Zornne said with a grin. " Just a couple more things to program into the droids and some of these canisters. Both of you can go! I can finish up on my own!" he assured them.

The commander stopped what he was doing and turned his attention to Leanne. "Is everything alright? "Any final word on your prospective new ship? Do you need anything?"

"Things are moving along better than I had hoped for. That Jott fellow is something else!" Leanne admitted. " No nonsense ... straight forward! Kind of odd at times.. but frankly I LIKE him! Wouldn't have him any other way!"

"Wouldn't do you any good to try to change 'im either!" Buzz pointed out. "What you see is what you get. Kind of refreshing in a sense!"

"Pretty much!" Leanne chimed in. "And on that note: Our new ship looks good on the outside . It's solid and the essentials are all good. But it needs some work under the hood! A few upgrades! Probably another gun or two more in the right places! And I usually prefer an oversized power supply to give it that EXTRA kick when I need it!"

"Sounds like that's right up Zornne's path!" The commander replied. "From what I've seen the last few hours he's as close to an engineering prodigy as I've ever seen personally. No wonder Oggurobb was glad to work with him for an entire hour. Usually everyone else is either bored to tears or he runs off inside of 10 minutes! "

The captain smiled: "Sounds about right!"

"Whatever you need for your ship I'll see to it that Vis works with Jott to get it for you. Don't worry about payment for right now! You're credit is fine ! I know you'll make good! And I'll see to it that they assign a team to get things installed the way you want it! That is unless you want the kid to do it! He does good work !!"

Leanne looked at the youngster and took a deep breath... then just looked away to the sky a bit "Yeah ! He really could do well as an engineer somewhere with the right training. But, we're on the run so much. It's not really a good life for him! BUT I don't want to push him away either. He's already lost too much!"

"When the time comes, captain, you'll know what to do !" the commander reassured her. " Which reminds me: You really don't need to stick around for what might be coming. If there is a fight ... it really isn't necessary..."

The freighter captain looked sternly at the Alliance commander and cut him a little short: "I pay my debts, and I take care of my crew. I don't run from trouble either! No!," the captain insisted, " This became my problem every bit as much as it is yours the minute that JERK blew up my ship and killed my friends ! I don't care who it is! I have an appointment to keep!"

"Speaking of appointments!" the commander interrupted, "The time is slipping away from me as well. I need to run!

There's a meeting I need to attend!"

"Mind if I tag along?" Leanne asked.

"Can't!" Buzz replied bluntly. " Look I don't have the time to explain. You need to trust me! If all goes well You'll be keeping that appointment with a very special guest! Lana will help if you need anything!"

"You two are an item?" The captain asked as delicately as possible under the circumstances.

"Very much so!" the commander replied .. And a lot more!"

Zornne spoke up !" I hate to break up the situation but if you're going to catch that shuttle headed to Ilum you'd better get going. I'll finish up! It's OK! I wont let you down: either of you! I promise!"

" I'm not worried about your work !" the commander reassured the youngster. " Both of you report to Lana as soon as you're done! Just leave the welcome mat out for us! That will be a big help!"

EDITED

Edited by OlBuzzard

Chapter 9: The Republic WILL burn (and you're in my way)

Theron and his team of specialists worked with anticipation reviewing over the collected data from the outpost. There had to be a connection of some sort with everything that had been unfolding the last few months. This time the links could be either Republic or Sith Empire. And that meant there was unquestionably a network of communication between those contacts into BOTH the Republic and the Sith Empire as well. Some of those contacts were more evident than others. Keeping those contacts above suspicion would be more subtle. Oddly enough the inquiries that Gault had been making along with the investigations from Theron's teams of specialists had began stirring up a lot more attention than originally believed. All that was needed now was proof. Something to connect the dots to whomever was behind this masquerade.

"There's the connection!" Theron pointed out. "Not the ones that seemed to be at the forefront ... but rather some of the more obscure contacts still showed up! Communications activities with some of those same mysterious and seemingly unrelated correspondence now indicated increasing activity. That increase coincided with the time frames shortly after our twelve teams along with Gault and his league of injudicious associates began to stir things up a bit!"

"Our next move?" asked Ellii.

"Contact all of our teams with just one word .. 'RAZZO' " ! Theron responded. "Then take us to these coordinates at maximum speed!"

Thiena spoke up " Coordinates already loaded in and ready to execute, sir!"

Theron looked a little surprised that she would already have that information.

Ellii smiled .. " Get use to it sir! " He exclaimed. It's just what she does. Be concerned when she can't !"

"OK !" Theron acknowledged somewhat reluctantly. "Good to know!"

Moments later the threesome arrived at the specified location. Theron looked at his computer monitor. "Excellent. No one in the area," he noted calmly. "Bring the extended power cells on line as well as the long distance scanners and commlinks on line!" He ordered.

Thiena looked over the controls which operated the corresponding equipment needed to comply with Theron's commands. "Everything is in position and in operating order!" she responded.

"Looking good!" Ellii confirmed "all systems confirmed on line and working as needed!"

"Transmit the messages!" Theron ordered.

"Done!" Ellii replied as he sent them.

"Ready the next set of coordinates in the computer and be ready to jump to light speed!" Theron ordered. " This time make certain that all 16 contacts are able to comply before we make the last jump. We have a stop to make near Ilum!"

"Data set, ready to jump on you word!" Theina replied.

"Let's do it!" Theron commanded.

At another location far from that of Theron and his team another ship sat behind the moon of a planet that at one time was well inhabited. Raved by war it was now barely sustaining life. Effectively the system and it's primary life supporting planet ... dead. The ship orbiting the once lush green world : Empire in origin and design. The one who was in command was at one time considered a faithful member of the empires best. Now he gladly served another sith... self appointed lord.

"Lord Dolthus will need to know this immediately!" The ships commander ordered the chief of communications.

"Immediately SIR !" she replied!

"Prepare to make the jump to hyperspace! Secure all stations! " he ordered ! " Set coordinates as planned! It appears the trap is ready to be sprung!"

"Coordinates set and ready!" The young female first officer assured the commander. "On your command SIR !"

"Very well !" The commander responded calmly. It's time to take charge of this war and settle this matter once and for all!"

Lord Dolthus, as he was preferred to be called watched the facial expressions of his fleet commander. "Everything must be unfolding as I have envisioned!" he bragged.

"The reports you have released regarding the attacks on Republic forces and their subsequent retreats as well as those that were overthrown on three different systems earlier today have not gone unnoticed. Our ships are now climbing into orbit around the abandoned moons in all six systems are now awaiting your command!" the admiral reported. "Our force is as large as the one that attacked the Republic ship yards months ago! We await your orders sir!"

"Malgus and the one they call emperor will continue to wallow in their disgusting trivial struggle for dominion while I take control over this entire matter and eliminate the real problem!" the sith lord ranted! "AS soon as the last group of ships report in as ready begin the attack sequence as we planned!"

"Sir! " interrupted the young female communications officer . "We have final confirmation: The Alliance commander was spotted near Ilum... his craft was shot down and his body confirmed in the wreckage. We left the site untouched as you ordered! No one suspects we have any knowledge!"

The smile the upon the face of Dolthus turned into a soft creepy laughter!!

"That's not all sir!" she continued. "We also have confirmation from our source on Odessen that a large number of ships from the Republic and Alliance are leaving orbit as we speak. Unofficially there has been some sort of question as to who should lead the Alliance and some fear an emanate attack. No one seems to be in complete control right now!"

"As I have planned to the letter!" the sith continued to rave!

"All fleets are confirmed and we are ready to begin lord Dolthos!" the admiral reported.

Within the next few moments all ships from all six systems disappeared from their orbit jumping into light speed!

Senya and Arcaan looked to Lana for last minute instructions: " We are here to serve as you and your commander ask " Arcaan reassured Lana.

"Any final word on the commander?" Senya asked.

"Strange I have not sensed his demise as some have suggested!" Arcaan pointed out.

"Everything will be clear shortly!" Lana exclaimed. "Assuming we survive all of this!"

" I know we will!" Senya responded "I have faith in all of us and what we've accomplished ! "

"I know ! " Lana agreed. "But there is something still out of place in all of this. I know what we have planned ... and we will finally get to the bottom of this mystery. But there is still something that we're not seeing! That's not a chance I'm willing to take. There was a time that risking the lives of others just seemed to be something that we had to take into account. But now ... "

"Now we see those lives as individuals that count!" Arcaan blurted out.

"Yes!" Lana agreed softly ... " All life does matter!" The force surrounds us and it is a part of us!" Something I did not see for so long! I guess I really am changing in more ways than one!"

"Are you sure you're up to this right now?" Senya asked tenderly.

Lana looked at her and Arcaan: " Yes! " she responded without hesitation. " Quite sure. A few more months from now might be another story. But I'm quite alright !"

At that moment Leanna rushed up to the group along with Hylo Vis: " Anyone seen...

Lana interrupted :" You're kidding!?"

Arcaan looked to Senya and Lana then turned to Leanna " Leave him to me!" he assured them. " I was almost as eager to see what was happening as he is once upon a time!"

"Very well!" Lana agreed. "Leanna ... you can trust him! If anyone can find the boy and take good care of him it's Arcaan."

Arcaan who had already began walking away to go look for the young man turned and looked toward Lana with a smile. It was good for him to hear someone make a statement like that for a change. His life had changed directions ... for the better.

Suddenly Senyas countenance dropped as she looked at the hollo display of Odessens defensive net work; "Ships coming out of hyperspace right on top of us!" she exclaimed .

Lord Dolthos on board his lead ship wasted no time in ordering a massive bombardment of the surface below!

"Shields to maximum!" Lana ordered " Notify Aric and Havoc Squadron to begin executing their maneuvers!"

"We've lost one of the shield generators!" Senya reported. " Just what we expected. I'm holding back the reserve units until you give the word!"

Hylo took her place along side of Vette in the command : " Multiple landing craft just outside of the main structures."

"Any chance any of them with unusually high energy out-put?" Lana asked.

Looking at the read out... "ALL of them! Hylo reported.

Vette looked at Hylo .. "seriously? Soo how many are just plain stupid high?"

Hylo grinned " Just one!" And there's enough energy coming from that shielding system to power a good size battle cruiser!"

"Care to guess who's on board?" Gault cracked as he walked into the room. "Allow me to introduce you to the guest of honor!"

"He's running a little earlier than we expected!" Lana pointed out ! "I see that Theron just arrived!"

" Just follow the trail of blaster fire aimed at the tail of his ship !! " Gault commented casually.

"This is insane!" Lana concluded!

"Insane?" Gault pointed out... Oh no! Just wait a little while longer! THEN it's going to get to be insane!"

"Anyone call for back up" Theron asked.

"Everything in place?" The commander asked.

Lana all but leapt into the arms of the commander " Good ! You're here!"

"We have a long ways to go before we celebrate Lana" the commander interrupted " ... but for what it's worth ... I'm glad to be here and not on some dark desolate place away and alone! Everyone ready?"

A gentle positive nod from everyone the commander was ready as well. "Back up generators .. go! Notify Havoc squad to move into position and close the back door! Move all non-essential personnel to the emergency areas with all automated droid and security personnel in full lock-down mode! They should know the drill by now !! "

As quickly as the commander gave the orders they were executed one by one! But the bombardment from above was relentless and Havoc squad was having difficulty with containment!

"Have the robotics division move into position to give Havoc additional support but keep them away from a direct line of fire!" They're still droids and wont last that long!" the commander ordered! "Lana call in Admiral Aygo."

Theron walked over to the communications side of the command area: "I'm initiating the deployment of all 12 teams" He informed the commander. I'll send them in behind the lines and try to catch a part of the landing force in a cross fire ! That should shake things up a bit!

"All seven Alliance heavy cruisers are dropping out of hyperspace and have already attracted the attention of the attacking fleet!"

(please note: new cruiser concept drawing: http://area51.alienmedia.net/AllianceHvyCrsr.jpg

"Arcaan is pinned down!" Senya reported "I'll go and help him! Apparently they've landed with more forces than we expected!"

"Commander!" Lana exclaimed.

He had heard that tone of voice before. And what followed usually was anything but good news!

"Thirteen more ships from the Empire just dropped out of hyperspace !" Lana informed everyone!

Theron looked at Lana: "By the empire do you mean:

** The actual EMPIRE

** Malgus and his followers formally EMPIRE

OR

** Neither one ... this other nut job sith who THINKS he's taking over the EMPIRE ... or whatever his plan is ?"

Lana was not impressed. The commander handed her a freshly opened package of fruit roll-ups laying on the near by console! Vette standing in between Lana and Theron casually took one step backward just as the impending projectile zipped past her finding a true mark to the side of Therons head!

"We all need to get out there NOW ! the commander insisted! "Try to drive the main part of the force toward the area where my ship was parked! Zornne has that area filled with some special welcoming gifts! " The commander thought for a second! "And exactly where is he right now ?"

"Arcaan has him!" Vette replied.

For just a second the commander almost bought into that statement ... then thought about what was said "WAIT a second!! Arcann is pinned down. Exactly WHERE are they?" he insisted.

"Just outside of that area you were just talking about!" Vette responded. "We also have additional droids moving to intercept a possible pincer move from the enemy!"

The commander wasted no time at all! He knew what had to happen! " Increase all planetary defensive systems between the first line of invaders and Odessen! Have admiral Aygo push his fleet toward that same group. That should take out part of the first wave. Bring in all remaining ships to support Aygo and launch fighter squadrons to support Havok and reinforce ground assault teams trying to reach their position. Make sure none of them get pinned down! This could get real messy real fast!"

"Commander!" Vette called out. "That landing platform with that really high energy wave has landed just short of the outer perimeter and is making his way directly here! Looks like he's making his move! Total package: looks like 6 transports heavily armed, nearly 50 ground assault personnel and another group taking point!"

"Time to make this happen!" the commander insisted. "Vette.. you Hylo and Gault make sure that no one gets in here that doesn't belong! Period !

Edited by OlBuzzard

Chapter 10: NO: You're supposed to die ( and your friends with you)

The sith lord Dolthus was making his presence known and gaining ground rapidly. The fighting was intense and costly for both sides. The alliance seemed to be loosing more ground. How odd that the one thing that the dark sided would be conqueror had not noticed that the majority of the body counts piled along the way was that of machine rather than of flesh and blood. Additionally the alliance forces were prepared to use a different means of communication which the sith had not expected.

As the forces of the sith approached the intended area where the alliance commanders ship normally sat ... the sith stopped suddenly and unexpectedly. He suspected a trap. The dark side had made its revaluation known and the dark commander was no fool either.

"I'll spring their stupid trap," he mumbled to himself. " I can send in a large group of heavily armed mechanical beasts along side two dozen of my dark followers and 50 troops to act has heavy support. Once the trap is made known I'll lead the main division through to the other side where the second division should be meeting me!"

The commander waited patiently knowing that something big was about to unfold! Though not a word had been passed through normal com-lines he received word that the main entrance was under heavy attack. It was obvious what the sith had intended to attempt. With a flick of the index finger over his wrist a subtle signal sent to several more droids including HK-55 and a specialized group prepared by Oggurobb for him to command. The message that the sith intercepted from Vette was a position in serious trouble .. one about to be overran. The sith couldn't have been happier. Then again .. he was not seeing clearly. Or was he?

Quickly Dolthus moved a large part of his force up the the edge of the the field. But rather than to expose his plan and fall into the trap he moved to one side before advancing forward. One end of the area was enclosed with a high bluff .. and on one end another opening up with a cliff dropping sharply. Strategically if he were to be so blind to run head long into the area it was ideal for the a showdown. To that end he had plans of his own.

Com chatter seemed to pick up for a moment! But only for a moment! Then silence!

A member of the siths command staff was frustrated! "Sir !" he beckoned "I still can not get a fix on their signals. It lasts for two maybe 3 seconds! Even our best jammers can't seem to lock on to anything! If we use a broad band disrupter network we stand a chance of cutting off our own signal as well."

Dolthus wasn't impressed "Either push through this area to the right side next to the bluff or pay the price for failure! I have 35 more sith followers who are supporting over 500 troops and mechanized armor division! That doesn't count the 1000's more that will be landing shortly! Be quick about it! This commander may not be as brilliant as he thinks and we have more than enough to wipe this installation out of existence without the support of his once vast resource of the eternal fleet! The Republic and the emperor are both chasing after Malgus. How foolish. they WILL ALL fail. The alliance is now done for !! And shortly thereafter the REPUBLIC WILL BURN as I have promised! MY plan will NOT fail!"

"Yes SIR!" the captain agreed whole heartedly "I'm mobilizing all troops and moving the mechanical weapons units into position now!"

Again a brief crackle of noise on the communications channel ! Nothing more!

This time however, the commander was upset! "Not now!" he said out loud ...

"What's wrong?" Lana asked.

"Zornne!" the commander replied bluntly.

" Surely not!" Lana responded in total disbelief. "Arcaan was going to keep him out of trouble! "

"Arcaan got pinned down .. remember! " the commander pointed out !! "Besides this kid has a way of getting into places or OUT of them that most people never thought of! I'm just hoping that Senya is close enough to Arcaan and between the two they can get to Zornne and fast before he gets in over his head!"

Moments later there was a serious disruption from the front lines where the sith and their forces were trying to do an end run around the alliance! The commotion that followed was nothing less than total chaos!

One large BANG and a small canister filled with some of Oggurobb's goo was launched into the air like a small depth charge. Another smaller explosion followed and what followed was a total disaster for the sith and anyone else it made contact with. Some were fighting a substance that seemed to be easily sliced with the light saber ... but that only made matters worse. The compound splintered into dozens of smaller masses and still found it's way to a target. Their final impacts were of no particular order or value. Everything that the goo came in contact was in serious trouble! To add to the frustration of anyone caught by the barrage of the dispersed amalgamated product was that large portions of it inexplicably reacted to the situation hurling dozens of extremely hardened compressed rubber spheres which quickly became deadly projectiles indiscriminately hitting anything in their path.

Then .. it started! Several sith thought it would be a demonstration of their command of the force to use the same canisters and turn them on the alliance. Bad move! Zornne had anticipated the move. He knew where the larger traps were ...as well as counter measures of high explosives to redirect the most offensive of the canisters. Well... more or less. The safest place to be was anywhere AWAY from the entire zone! The sith, buildings, trees and larger plants, plate glass windows and even a couple of the siths ships that had landed near by were reduced to a chaotic even torturous disaster.

One sith in particular attempted to force slam and push back two canisters filled with the volatile compound. The end result was less than satisfactory as he was repeated hit by several slightly larger oddly shaped rubber masses and sent rolling down a hill side covered in a sticky goo that began to change to compressed rubber: bouncing totally out of control. He anger was one of total rage! "This is ridiculous " he screamed ... until he finally met his fate.

"Well! the commander noted "I suppose we could let him try rolling down the hillside again to see if his chances of survival improved ... Would that constitute a re-roll?"

"How many of these crazy things did Zornne plant out here?" Lana asked .

"At last count there were well over 200 !" the commander answered as he ducked from incoming debris. "But I thought that most of that was further inside!"

Another scrap of metal from the side of an armored transport zipped past the two of them!

Theron and his two team mates had managed to safely crawl over to the commander and Lana. "This is fun!" he exclaimed. "Exactly what in the name of common sense is going on?"

" It seems this ... mess .. whatever it is" Lana tried to explain as she dodged the hard rubber masses of varying sorts and sizes ... IS REACTING to the power of light sabers AND the energy being released by the SITH when they use the force !! The MORE POWER ... the worse the reaction!!!"

"And hitting anything OR ANYONE in its path! with greater force than what was released !! GREAT !!!" the commander exclaimed !!

Another blotch of goo zipped past Therons head and landed on a nearby rock that he and the rest of his team had just managed to find as they joined the commander and Lana. The rock became unstable and rolled to one side .

It was then struck by an additional compound which turned into a thin coating cover most of the rock. Then stuck again with an oddly shaped hard rubber mass then bounced into the air!

"Move!" exclaimed the commander.

"Ya THINK!" Lana quipped!.

To add to the already insane madness Zornne decided that the best way deal someone who was being totally uncooperative and had failed to walk blindly into the trap ...was to send the trap to the sith. Now there were several purposes that droids were used for. Their construction usually meant that as long as objects were not too heavy .. those objects could be easily moved by a droid. OR in some cases a droid could actually throw some objects a fairly good distance. Rerouting several droids was an easy matter. Giving others the task of simply throwing smaller canisters even easier. In short, the youngster had turned the massive assault form the sith into a three ring circus! Out of 50 standard fuel canisters canisters of the unstable product Oggurobb had deemed a failed idea Zornne had divided into 290 smaller units and attempted to use them to wreak havoc on an enemy. Of the 290 containers only 10 remained unused.

At that moment the commander spotted Zornne. Senya and Arcaan were both considerably further away but finally making progress since the entire sith assault team seemed to be preoccupied with the obstacles they had encountered!

Unfortunately Dolthus was not nearly as amused as everyone else!

"ENOUGH!!" he bellowed as loudly as he could! "This has gone far ENOUGH!" Standing to his feet the minister of darkness filled with rage began to raise his hands to the sky. The sky darkened quickly! Suddenly there was a burst of lightening then a shock wave. Everything fell quiet! Even his own team was silent for a few seconds!

"Sir!" came a call on the dark lords holo receiver! "We're holding our own but ... "

The link went dead!

"Meat bag infestation zero!" was all the commander heard from HK-55.

"Secondary defenses GO "! reported Aric Jorgan.

"20 seconds!" from general Daerunn.

Dolthus' anger was out of control and he was boiling mad! He caught the kid out of the corner of his eye. The dark side of the force had revealed the identity of the one who would cause him grief this day!

"YOU !" the sith growled with a voice of a demon. "You will die!"

"Really?" asked the youngster as he noticed some of the deposits of goo seemingly reactivating. "Before you do that ... just answer me this:"

The sith cut his monologue short. "I answer to no one! I am SITH ! I have foreseen all of your childish pranks! I know your end! I WILL destroy you and this filthy station and move on to the Republic as I have promised my followers! I WILL NOT FAIL !"

The commander stood at a short distance in front of Dolthus . " Do you sith go to some sort of special school to learn how to make those kind of speeches or something ? I mean it seriously ... Do you practice in front of a mirror or something? I mean it .. REALLY .. just exactly what do you expect us to do? Are we supposed to fall down and worship the ground you walk on out of fear of what will happen if we don't ?"

""NO! "I EXPECT YOU TO DIE !" Dolthus replied loudly.

"You have a serious problem SITH! " the commander insisted.

"You pathetic excuse!" The sith grumbled with a lower tone in his voice. " I thought this place to be much more. But all I see is dirt! Walls.. ceilings everywhere! A few scattered buildings. How pitiful! This is your domain? You're equally pathetic as the entire alliance!" the sith continued to rave. We can NEVER be stopped. You're in over your head. Do you have any idea how many want this place gone? Do you know how may can't wait to see this ... THIS GARBAGE die. This planet will be wiped clean of your existence."

" Yeah .. I get it ! We need to do some more remodeling ... and maybe another coat of paint here and there. But it's home! Granted we don't threaten people... make them live in fear or make them apologize for their freedom or who they are. We just want to live in peace! "

The commander moved around a bit while talking trying to get Zornne out of the line of fire. "What is it with you sith anyway? Hate is not enough ... you need , servitude, greed and tyranny to control everyone ! BUT most of ALL you thrive on FEAR. Oddly enough most people prefer : freedom of choose, kindness and sometimes just plain fun. I have yet to see any group of civilized people make laws against meekness or being helpful to others!"

"Your blind, weak, foolish ideals will serve as your epitaph!" Dolthus mocked as he began to summon the dark side of the force.

At that moment Lana stepped out into the open and began to walk slowly in the direction of the sith. "And exactly how do you plan to do that? Your forces are nearly routed! Your promises to your followers to guarantee that the Republic will burn will have to be postponed."

The sith said nothing else ... but rather began to make a move quickly, suddenly toward the commander and Zornne! The exchange that followed was all just a blur. And in an instant the commander was stunned severely: motionless. The youngster Zornne was lying next to him face down as a heavy, thick fog rose from the ground. The darkness seemed to creep in and the fog thickened from all directions. Visibility was becoming increasingly more difficult.

Dolthos began once again to summon all of his power to make the final assault on the commander and Zornne.

A brief com-link squawk broke through the eerie silence.

Lana force leap to the side of the commander ... and for a moment seemed to be outraged! But inside of her ... an unexpected calmness began to emerge. She could sense a presence she had not felt before:

From Senya: the regrets of a mother who reached out too late in life to her children ... but had still managed to find peace. "You need that calm right now Lana"

From Arcaan: reassurance of strength to make better choices with the right motivation " Selflessness ... not anger!"

From Kira : A genuine sense of well being with the force. Lay aside your anger. Peace and calm are the ways of the force!

From Satele: Focus on the force ... it seeks balance!

Dolthus had began an assault on Odessen to eliminate their support of the Republic! More of his troops were on the way. He now had many of his sith followers back at his side. The traps had been silenced for the time being but most importantly the commander was down! Again he laughed with glee! " Now you will see the power of the dark side that you once knew Lana ! You turned your back on the empire and now you will die with this insignificant group of nothings!" he mocked .

His sith associates drew their sabers all at once and readied themselves for the attack! The remains of his ground troops began to stand again and take up position. " The rest of my forces are HERE !" Dolthus bragged. " I have seen this day! I know of your attempts to rally your pitiful group of followers and your friend. YES I have been in your mind LANA.. YOU sicken me! You ARE WEAK ! YOU WILL DIE !"

Lana stood still next to the commander! The com-link again squawked for only a moment! Then behind her the sabers of Senya, Arcaan, Kira and Satele ignited as they all stepped into the clearing next to Lana.

"Fools!" the sith responded in bitterness. " You will now ALL die !" using the force he created another volly of lightening!"

The five who defended the commander and young Zornne stood side by side using the force together deflected the energy blast.

"Sir!" the captain of the sith force called out.

"NOT NOW !" barked the dark lord.

"Those ships coming out of hyperspace .... they're not ours!"

Dolthus was stunned to say the least! His countenance dropped suddenly.

Two dozen shots from sniper rifles in the hillside surrounding the area came from the blasters of Havoc squad. A dozen men standing right next to Doltus fell to the ground lifeless.

Momentarily a single blast from an unexpected source struck the hand of the Dolthus. Everyone was shocked to see the young man Zornne holding one of the blasters dropped by the commander when he was knocked unconscious. "Time for you to leave!"

The commander, still a bit groggy stood to his feet: his clothing still smoldering from the attack of Dolthus "I agree! Nice shot Zornne! You're learning !"

The sith seeing his men nearly routed and either dead or dying summoned the last of his efforts and tried to disorient everyone long enough to make it to his shuttle to escape. Unfortunately the cover fire from his remaining forces fell short of success just a squadron of Odessen based heavy escort fighters made a strafing pass. Dolthus was no more! Nearly 1/2 of his orbiting fleet had been destroyed in the encounter and 1/2 of what remained was in flames barely able to make the jump to hyper space. Two larger ships exploded as they made their exit.

"Commander!" called a familiar voice on his com-link.

"Go ahead Vette!"

"We're all secure here!" she reported. " HK, Scourge and several others repelled the assault on the command center. Enemy forces have either bugged out or been destroyed! Also we have several ships in orbit from General Daeruun and the Republic. Apparently they got your one word message and got here as fast as possible. Also there is a General some body from Zakuul with three heavy support ships also in orbit... wanting to speak to you!"

The commander was shocked that anyone from Zakuul was even aware of the situation. "Put him through!" Buzz insisted.

Moments later a familiar face appeared on his portable holo communicator. "Sorry we're a little late, commander!"

"Koth! you old dog you! How ? When ?

"It's a long story!" Koth replied. " I'll fill you in planet side later!"

"Sounds good!" the commander agreed.

Hylo interrupted with yet another call "Sir! We've got about a dozen member of various command staff personnel all wanting a meeting ASAP!

"Understood!" the commander replied. "Have them meet me in the commander center in an hour! We've got a lot of cleaning up to do!"

"Commander!" Hylo Vis continued.

"Yes?"

"We've also got hundreds possibly as many as a thousand civilians reporting in for clean up detail!" Hylo reported. Some of them are in rout returning to the planet. I've never seen anything like this before!"

The commander smiled! "That's great to hear! See about rounding up as much of the basic materials needed to get them started! OH !! And you might as well set up a few places for food and drinks to take of them while they're taking care of clean up!"

Hylo looked at the roster of volunteers and began to make assignments right away! People were eager to work together each helping to restore and rebuild.

Lana walked over to the man she loved and embraced him gently. "You will never stand alone!" she said.

The commander looked at Zornne. "You want to keep that blaster ?" he asked.

Zornne looked at the blaster ... then to the commander .. "No thanks. Maybe one day when I'm ready!" (then handed the weapon to Buzz). But I think if I'm sticking around I'd like to go to school and learn more about engineering! I can't think of a place that has more opportunities than this place."

"Sounds good!" Buzz agreed.

"I'll need a place to stay ... and a speeder to get around on!"

"OK!" the commander agreed.

"Cool!" I'll snag that new one Oggurobb is working on in the lab!" Leanna can sort out a place to stay!"

"HEY!" that was .. " (too late the kid had ran off to see the speeder) !

Lana laughed " He catches on fast !"

"Tell me about it!" Buzz admitted ... "But that was also the new speeder that Oggurobb had just finished for me!" He thought for a moment then laughed! " Have to admit the kid has style! Speaking of which ... if the new dinner is still standing we need a quite evening!"

"Why Commander?" Lana inquired. "Are you asking me out on a date?"

"Yes, as a matter of a fact I am!" he replied with a gentle smile on his face. " That's something that we never forget to do. I don't care how crazy things get .. we need time for just the two of us !"

"I couldn't agree more!" Lana replied.

The commander looked over the mess created by the sith who had intended to take advantage of everyone's hardship and the war torn galaxy to destroy Odessen for the purpose of convincing others he was the one to follow.

"This could have been much worse !" The commander pointed out. " The crazy ideas of that kid bought us the time we needed for help to arrive. I know it was outside of the box ... but that seemed to help. Our enemy thought he knew us so well because of his ability to get inside of our heads while hiding in the shadows."

"Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it ? " Lana concluded.

"Yes .. it does!" Buzz agreed. "It also tells me that what we are doing really is worth while. I'm certain we'll face more challenges. Some will be considerably more serious than this! We simply MUST continue to grow!"

"And stick together !" Lana added !

"And stick together!" the commander repeated.

EPILOGUE

Kira Carsen stopped by the private quarters of Lana in a room adjacent to the command center. It was evident that Lana had been crying.

"Are you OK?" Kira asked with a soft spoken voice.

Lana tried to cover up her emotions ... but under the circumstance was unsuccessful. "I'm such a mess. And Buzz wants me to have dinner this evening."

"That sounds good!" Kira replied. "So what's the problem?"

"I can't wear that dress any more!" Lana insisted while pointing to a beautiful black evening gown. I'm changing .."

"I've heard!" Kira interrupted. " And I'm not talking just about the encounter with Dolthus either. Congratulations are definitely in order. And it may take a few more months later on before you can fit into that dress again. In the mean time I know just the ticket! Come on Lana.. that new boutique that opened up a few months back is still in one piece. AND they have a new seamstress that can do just about anything! I picked up something just a few minutes ago! I like being a Jedi ... but there are times when it's still nice to be a lady too! It drives Satele nuts when I say things like that around her! That place is so nice. And it make me think that maybe not EVERY fashions designer may have gone to the dark side! Come on ... let's go!

The two walked out the office door and headed to the new part of Odessen which, for the most part, had not been attacked at all since it was not a part of the operations buildings for the alliance.

In the mean time the commander was finishing up the last of the meetings with friends and ally's who had answered the call for assistance to Odessen.

Hylo Vis and Senya both were in the command center with Buzz reviewing over a stack of data pads eager for analysis.

" This entire matter could have been far worse. I'm not certain that the sit we encountered was nothing more than an opportunist who was trying to take advantage of everything else that was going on. Still we need to be vigilant and ready to defend our self when needed. I need all of these organized and set in priority as we discussed: Defensive network repairs; damages done to civilian housing and other structures; ship status; updates on Malgus and the matter that Shae is still sorting out with the Mandalorians. We'll start in 3 days doing a comprehensive review starting with civilian needs first ... then tactical priority as needed. Hylo .. you see to the civilians ... Senya you work with Admiral Aygo and Aric to review their concerns!"

Everyone agreed to the task ahead. Senya and Hylo both were eager to get started as quickly as possible. Even if resources were being stretched a bit there was a certain energy in the air after what they had been through. The entire affair seemed to give them a new resolve to work even harder to finish what was started. Their lives had both changed. Both were glad to be a part of the alliance.

Arcaan walked in to the command center and handed the commander yet another data pad. "We discovered the mole! " he informed the commander. " Apparently they left Odessen when the assault began. Theron and his teams are following up on several leads. If there are any more surprises they will no doubt uncover them. They seem to be exceptionally thorough."

"Thanks Arcaan!" I appreciate everything you've done! Glad to still have you on board!" the commander responded. " Keep up the good work. And if you need anything ... just let me know! OH! Also ... I did have a talk with Koth! We're continuing to help with support as he needs it! Seems like he's starting to make a difference on Zakuul. It's a small one right now ... BUT it's growing!"

"One day .. I hope that Zakuul will be reunited and at peace!" said Arcaan.

" I believe it will!" the commander reassured the man he now called a friend. " In time I believe it will."

Later that evening Buzz met Lana at the new restaurant. Both were dressed a little more formal than normal. Lana was stunning. "I can't keep my eyes off of you, Lana . That black dress : beauty wrapped in elegance!"

The atmosphere of the business was lively. Laughter could be heard from time to time over the normal voices of conversation. Waiters darted about seeing to the every need of their guests. It was a time to appreciate life and what they had together.

For the time being there seemed to be a calmness.. just a brief moment! It was a time to stop and enjoy life.

On board a large battle cruiser a familiar figure dressed in darkness and wearing his mask sat in meditation in his room alone. A single currier carrying a data pad made his way to the lord of darkness and entered when the door opened.

"As you suspected" the currier informed his master. " It's all here lord Malgus! The court jester is dead and his followers scattered!"

"Are we ready?" Asked Malgus.

"Everything is set in place as you have commanded, SIR !" the currier answered.

"Excellent!" Malgus responded " It's time to begin!"

EDITED (again 07-06 ... sorry ... something interesting was left out)

Note: this concludes the series. I hope that everyone has enjoyed it! Thank you for your kind attention!

Edited by OlBuzzard
  • Like 1