Gear progression support idea for 7.1.1

DarthBryn

To help with gear progression going forward, would it be a good idea to allow for the conversion of SM R-4 operation tokens to Veteran R-4 operation tokens at a level that makes obtaining blue tier 330+ gear attainable to casual players say 8 - 1. i.e., Do 2 SM R-4 operations completely and you can convert the tokens received for a HM upgrade token.

The benefits being upgrade path for all to 340, raiders will see a benefit in doing SM R-4 which currently there isn’t, SM R-4 participation would Increasing. Purple 340 gear (R4 Boss tokens) is still left as an achievement for people who clear R-4 HM.

The benefits being upgrade path for all to 340

Elitists who believe only the top-tier nightmare end-game people should have the best because they worked the hardest for it would scream bloody murder at this. Work hard, get the gear, that's their mentality. Easing accessibility to mediocre types like myself isn't their bag.

Case in point, look how many times people have said "now that everyone's in 306" in previous posts.

Intentionally or unintentionally, Bioware created an effort barrier, and don't expect the elitists to want to see that barrier fall. Meaning, if everyone's suddenly in 340, nobody's uber, and the uberists wouldn't like that.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Elitists who believe only the top-tier nightmare end-game people should have the best because they worked the hardest for it would scream bloody murder at this. Work hard, get the gear, that's their mentality. Easing accessibility to mediocre types like myself isn't their bag.

Case in point, look how many times people have said "now that everyone's in 306" in previous posts.

Intentionally or unintentionally, Bioware created an effort barrier, and don't expect the elitists to want to see that barrier fall. Meaning, if everyone's suddenly in 340, nobody's uber, and the uberists wouldn't like that.

I as the person that would usually reply the thing you mentioned, I agree with OP. The skill/time ratio seems to be fine here. It wasn't in 306.

Casuals should want to have there be things not everybody can do. Yes only some people will experience it but they spend an huge amount of time in the game and it is important to reward somebody trying their best since its rewarding once you are able to finally do it. If there is nothing you can work towards you have no goal and end up quitting.

The only metric that matters in MMO is how much the player has in comparison to others. It's not a flex to be a darth because anybody can do that, but it is a flex to be of the ruined world even though that title is worse.

Casuals should want to have there be things not everybody can do. Yes only some people will experience it but they spend an huge amount of time in the game and it is important to reward somebody trying their best since its rewarding once you are able to finally do it.

You're not charged for subscription per hour so why should it matter to BW how much time you spend in the game?

If there is nothing you can work towards you have no goal and end up quitting.

You mean like half of the game's population quit since they released 7.0?

Edited by juliushorst

At this point i don't care what elitists think. A return to where everyone had the same gear would be very welcome. The whole point to taking out mods was to simplify things. Now that there is a huge barrier to getting the best gear that very few people can attain, there's this huge gap and a lot of resentment, but then again, resentment has been a recurring theme for 7.x. It's been a disaster from the beginning. Not just players, but even staff are jumping ship. That should tell the ones in charge a lot. Free our people, or they will free themselves of you.

I as the person that would usually reply the thing you mentioned, I agree with OP. The skill/time ratio seems to be fine here. It wasn't in 306.

Casuals should want to have there be things not everybody can do. Yes only some people will experience it but they spend an huge amount of time in the game and it is important to reward somebody trying their best since its rewarding once you are able to finally do it. If there is nothing you can work towards you have no goal and end up quitting.

The only metric that matters in MMO is how much the player has in comparison to others. It's not a flex to be a darth because anybody can do that, but it is a flex to be of the ruined world even though that title is worse.

As (what some would call) a casual, the only thing I'm really OK with having behind an "effor barrier" are cosmetic things, like Wings of the Architect. Let me clarify because maybe I'm mis-using that term I just saw for the first time. The things that should be ONLY available by clearing the most difficult content should be cosmetic. An exclusive mount, some nifty looking armor skins...whatever.

Gear Rating / mods / etc....I like the idea of some level of conversion for tokens you're going to get doing the content you're going to do.

I said as much a few times suggesting a single universal currency (aside from credits). A token of some kind that drops from EVERYTHING. You would then be able to by nearly EVERYTHING in the ENTIRE game with that currency. How much currency you get depends completely on the things you do in game. How much things cost at these vendors depends on what "level" they're for.

The details could be hammered out, but that's the general idea.

I mentioned Wings of the Architect because that's got to be my favorite mount in the game, and I don't have one.

Why? Because I did the whole be in a raid guild once, and while it was ok, we weren't good enough to do that content at that level.

But I'm still OK with it being behind that level of difficulty.

Gear rating, on the other hand, I'm not very ok with that.

I understand that's MOSTLY how this game has done it, but I don't like it. However, I'm forced to accept it because I don't see it changing again any time soon.

Edited by Darev

Justify. Why should they want this?

EDIT: more importantly, as noted above, why should the "exclusive" thing be "top tier gear" rather than cosmetics like Wings of the Architect?

If everybody has everything nobody has anything. Its not a hard conclusion to come to, but another question was "why should time spend in the game be rewarded when we all pay the same" oh jeez idk so the game isn't a singleplayer game with login rewards? You need content that people want to clear, but can't. Then they will spend time which makes a game alive! If you just pay and play 2h a month you aren't contributing the same as an active player who plays idk 3h+ a day. If this player feels like he is wasting his time, because someone that spends no time has the same things it will lead to frustration, those players quit and we are left nobody logged in and the game is dead. By being online you are directly promoting the game to new players even if you don't talk to them.

However I agree that while best gear will always drop from the hardest content, and with gear just being... pretty much a time waster (not that bad) everybody can have gear, it won't help them anyway. The only thing bothering me is having the expactation that only doing single player things will get someone max gear. They should group, they should wipe and interact with each other. People should want to join guilds... stuff like this is highly supported with max. gear only coming from hard content, but R-4 sm is already too hard for many people. So I'd be ok with 340 being obtainable from sm.

They should just allow SM r4 tokens to continue to be upgraded up to 338. Make a VM token be required to get to 340. This would give everyone enough to clear ICP in VM.

But this is pure copium, no amount of gear would help...either you can or you can't, not to say gear is useless - bit if the player clicks abilities it is.

But this is pure copium, no amount of gear would help...either you can or you can't, not to say gear is useless - bit if the player clicks abilities it is.

There will always be people that are not good clearly. They won’t be able to get the best gear in the game. Why I proposed is something to help them gear up to the tier below. Maybe the additional stats will help some people. Some people it won’t for sure.