Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

I have a mac, and I play just fine with bootcamp... In fact the WoW mac client was incredibly buggy, for instance some raid bosses would take my fps down to 0.2 fps for no apparent reason...

I never noticed anything glitchy about WoW on Mac. In fact, it ran so smooth, at times I forgot they made the game for Windows, lol

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you arguing that a Star Wars subscription game from the second largest game publisher cannot make money, if anything at all CAN? Come on man, the blind defensiveness is just getting silly.

I didn't say that at all, I never said they couldn't make money. Its a matter where they want to invest their money and what kind of return they can get, and for what ever reason they decided not to invest money into the Mac OS version. Doesn't mean they won't eventually, and they more then likely will, but apparently there are higher priorities things in their budget they feel will give them a better return.

The proof for a need of Mac support is not complex. It is simply good business. Any company with a "fastest growing market" should be taken advantage of. Simply for monetary gain. Is this really so hard to grasp?

Users who post here ask for proof that the Mac platform should be supported. Well you could look at the stock market if you are searching for figures. The company in question has been removed from stock numbers in order to give a more realistic view of the market. Apple has been so successful during the recession that analysts are ruling out their gains in order to show what the market picture really is.

Forget the Apple name, label it company X. If company X was gaining that kind of stock share AND it was a computer company would it simply not make sense to improve revenue stream by adding support to a fast growing, well supported platform?

PC users call for numbers and figures, I refer you to the NYSE. There is money to be made, that is the simple argument.

Those of us Mac users who are creative professionals resent the labels given by PC users. Would it really be fair to label Alienware users as nothing more than grossly overweight gaming nerds who pay for over priced plastic computers? I don't think that is a fair assessment nor do I think that all Mac users are trendy hipsters, a great many of use work for a living.

Be respectful and you will be treated likewise.

Edited by Pencilvania

The proof for a need of Mac support is not complex. It is simply good business. Any company with a "fastest growing market" should be taken advantage of. Simply for monetary gain. Is this really so hard to grasp?

Users who post here ask for proof that the Mac platform should be supported. Well you could look at the stock market if you are searching for figures. The company in question has been removed from stock numbers in order to give a more realistic view of the market. Apple has been so successful during the recession that analysts are ruling out their gains in order to show what the market picture really is.

Forget the Apple name, label it company X. If company X was gaining that kind of stock share AND it was a computer company would it simply not make sense to improve revenue stream by adding support to a fast growing, well supported platform?

PC users call for numbers and figures, I refer you to the NYSE. There is money to be made, that is the simple argument.

Those of us Mac users who are creative professionals resent the labels given by PC users. Would it really be fair to label Alienware users as nothing more than grossly overweight gaming nerds who pay for over priced plastic computers? I don't think that is a fair assessment nor do I think that all Mac users are trendy hipsters, a great many of use work for a living.

That post was logical, poignate, and promotes civilized, intelligent discussion.

Now behold, as two people passionately argue over their respective platforms of choice as if it were their freakin job.

Edited by Toxen

I think I will stay away from la la land aka "proof"

All anyone has to do is look at Blizzard when WOW started, when they launched it for MAC and look now. So is there any other thing Blizzard is putting out that will also work on MAC? Hmm gee why would they keep doing something that didn't make money? HAHA yeah its was NEVER to make PLAYERS happy. If it works you don't fix it.

Now look at SWTOR for PC. Going to MAC will not bring in extra money. I am sure they went through all this months and years before launch. Its easy to look from the outside and ..well say anything and it sounds like truth.

Work and music .. Mac.. though I would play SWTOR on Mac.

You assumption fails to take into account that company X is doing well because of a product line unrelated to gaming, unless you are in fact proposing an iOS ipad client. The computer sales can not be translated into their stocks when their sales pail in comparison to ipads, ipods which are in fact the reason the company is growing at all. One only needs to look at the company X before their trendy little windows CE knockoffs to see how little their computer sales are in the scheme of things.

Oh and Alienware owner's are trendy hipsters smart enough to get actual power for their money, not waste it on an apple logo. Gaming geeks build their own PCs, spend a lot less on hardwarr that makes company X's product look like company F.

Anyways, you bought Mac knowing full well that game devs as a whole did not code for it. Learn to adapt with tools already available instead of demanding someone else foot the bill for you. They arenot obligated to provide you with a Mac client(period)

Edited by kjfett

You assumption fails to take into account that company X is doing well because of a product line unrelated to gaming, unless you are in fact proposing an iOS ipad client. The computer sales can not be translated into their stocks when their sales pail in comparison to ipads, ipods which are in fact the reason the company is growing at all. One only needs to look at the company X before their trendy little windows CE knockoffs to see how little their computer sales are in the scheme of things.

Oh and Alienware owner's are trendy hipsters smart enough to get actual power for their money, not waste it on an apple logo. Gaming geeks build their own PCs, spend a lot less on hardwarr that makes company X's product look like company F.

Anyways, you bought Mac knowing full well that game devs as a whole did not code for it. Learn to adapt with tools already available instead of demanding someone else foot the bill for you. They arenot obligated to provide you with a Mac client(period)

Your assumption doesn't take into account that the computer portion of their business has been growing exponentially.

Your assumption doesn't take into account that the Mac market share has increased by at least 600% since Jobs came back to turn it around.

Your assumption doesn't take into account that games were already being made and were profitable back then.

Your assumption doesn't take into account that TOR's largest competitor has a hugely profitable Mac subscriber-ship for their game.

Your assumption that people (other than kiddies) buy computers purely for gaming is flawed.

Your assumptions are wrong. Period.

Yes, but even more so I would love to see a linux client. Even though it will never happen :*(

I believe that if a Mac version comes out, a Linux port should be easy by then. But don't waste your hope on that too much. Even the Mac version might never come to be.

There are no current development efforts to create a Mac OS client for Star Wars: The Old Republic (or indeed, for any other operating system or platform).

No-one here hates Macs (in fact, many of us quite like them :)) but development efforts are currently focused on expanding and improving the game for PC/Windows.

I must say that I am hugely disappointed by this news. I really thought BW was way smarter than this. 30% of the gamers in the world own a Mac, in Asia the number will soon be over 50%, that means more people will own a Mac than any other type of computer (*not* counting pads to computer, mind you).

Anyone who claims the Mac is not a platform that a lot of serious gamers choose doesn't know what they are talking about.

Anyone who claims that there is no reason to buy a Mac has absolutely no clue what so ever what they are talking about.

Micro$oft = the devil of the world. Bugs, crappy coding, worthless OS, everything bad. Mac = everything right from the beginning and a great environment to work in.

There is a reason Blizzard has chosen to develop their code base on the Mac and then port it over to Windows. Since windows development take longer time, cost more, is more volatile and will more often result in unresonable and unexplainable bugs.

How can you, BW, can justify the decision you have taken?

You will loose money on this. Not maybe, not perhaps, not a little - you will loose a HUGE chunk of money as a result of this decision.

Why am I not part of this discussion on this forum more? Cause people who cling to the outdate, crappy M$ OS is blinded by their god icon Windows and cannot be made to listen to reason. It's just too frustrating.

EVERYONE (100%) - every single one who has tried to work in a Mac environment around me (and those are many many many) have decided to never ever go back, Mac (or Linux) is so vastly superior in every single way that it's just mindboggling.

But M$ fanboys are too gullible to even wanna try.

And no, I am not an Apple fan boy - I use a lot more OS than only Mac OS. I work with windows (yes, I use it to, to be updated on what crap M$ dishes out), several different Linux dialects, different Unix version and of course Android and iOS. I would like to see a game client for Windows, Linux, Unix and Mac OS.

To not develop for Windows would also be a huge failure of course. I don't deny that the market for Windows is still significantly larger than for Mac and I can respect that you wish to release your product first on Windows since they sale would be higher than if you first released it on Mac. Your development process will be more expensive due to the high number of problems that comes with development on the Windows platform, but you'll get your money back faster.

So Windows and Mac is a given, every serious game developer knows this.

Ok, Windows might have to come first if you want to spend more money developing and then get return faster, but Mac has to come soon after.

Linux and Unix clients should be developed for most games, there are many many many people who would start playing much more and purchase much more games if you started to develop for Linux/Unix too.

And don't come with the crap that Linux/Unix gamers are only an insignificant number of users - you know that there are no games for those platforms so it's irrelevant how the statistics look today.

Developing for Mac OS (which is based on a Unix core) will make it easy to port to Linux/Unix and from there you can also convert it over to Windows.

Viola - less development time, less bugs, less developer frustration, more money, more subscribers, everyone happy.

Why not?

Edited by LordRahlik

For what its worth, Codeweavers who makes Crossover Games finally got this working on their latest client.

It cost money, sure, but it runs a lot better than anything you could play under parallels and is worth looking into for some of you Mac users. Theres a free trial so you dont have much to lose.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name?app_id=7626

I must say that I am hugely disappointed by this news. I really thought BW was way smarter than this. 30% of the gamers in the world own a Mac, in Asia the number will soon be over 50%, that means more people will own a Mac than any other type of computer (*not* counting pads to computer, mind you).

Anyone who claims the Mac is not a platform that a lot of serious gamers choose doesn't know what they are talking about.

Anyone who claims that there is no reason to buy a Mac has absolutely no clue what so ever what they are talking about.

Micro$oft = the devil of the world. Bugs, crappy coding, worthless OS, everything bad. Mac = everything right from the beginning and a great environment to work in.

There is a reason Blizzard has chosen to develop their code base on the Mac and then port it over to Windows. Since windows development take longer time, cost more, is more volatile and will more often result in unresonable and unexplainable bugs.

How can you, BW, can justify the decision you have taken?

You will loose money on this. Not maybe, not perhaps, not a little - you will loose a HUGE chunk of money as a result of this decision.

Why am I not part of this discussion on this forum more? Cause people who cling to the outdate, crappy M$ OS is blinded by their god icon Windows and cannot be made to listen to reason. It's just too frustrating.

EVERYONE (100%) - every single one who has tried to work in a Mac environment around me (and those are many many many) have decided to never ever go back, Mac (or Linux) is so vastly superior in every single way that it's just mindboggling.

But M$ fanboys are too gullible to even wanna try.

And no, I am not an Apple fan boy - I use a lot more OS than only Mac OS. I work with windows (yes, I use it to, to be updated on what crap M$ dishes out), several different Linux dialects, different Unix version and of course Android and iOS. I would like to see a game client for Windows, Linux, Unix and Mac OS.

To not develop for Windows would also be a huge failure of course. I don't deny that the market for Windows is still significantly larger than for Mac and I can respect that you wish to release your product first on Windows since they sale would be higher than if you first released it on Mac. Your development process will be more expensive due to the high number of problems that comes with development on the Windows platform, but you'll get your money back faster.

So Windows and Mac is a given, every serious game developer knows this.

Ok, Windows might have to come first if you want to spend more money developing and then get return faster, but Mac has to come soon after.

Linux and Unix clients should be developed for most games, there are many many many people who would start playing much more and purchase much more games if you started to develop for Linux/Unix too.

And don't come with the crap that Linux/Unix gamers are only an insignificant number of users - you know that there are no games for those platforms so it's irrelevant how the statistics look today.

Developing for Mac OS (which is based on a Unix core) will make it easy to port to Linux/Unix and from there you can also convert it over to Windows.

Viola - less development time, less bugs, less developer frustration, more money, more subscribers, everyone happy.

Why not?

It's been explain numerous times already that the current design won't port because of hooks in code by MS. I'm no MS fanboi. I would drop MS for Linux the moment games become playable on them, but let's be honest. I recognize I can't get these games on Linux so I have an MS machine to play them, much in the same way I realize certain games can only be played on Xbox and not PS3 and I need an Xbox to play them or I simply don't play the. It is foolish to demand MS make games usable on the PS3 for example. These same rules apply to you. You can play this game on your Mac using certain tools or you can play it on a secondary gaming rig. You already do this with console games so why the rage?

Mac users are grossly overstating the actual number of mac gamers vs pc gamers.

Trust me on this - Mac users are the 1%ers.

You are a HUGE minority - and from a monetary standpoint it is not worth it.

True, I used their own Mac/fuzzy logic and determined there are actually more Mac users that would prefer to flame MS on the BW forums than there are Mac users that would buy the game because it had a Mac client. Interestingly, that number was a negative figure, but I did use the square root of PIE in the equation so it could be even less.

I'm a hard core PC person myself, but I think they ought to start putting more effort into making straight Mac versions of these games, all our great games. The make 2-3 console versions of many of the games we enjoy these days, yet the Mac still gets the shaft.

I'll admit, I'm not terribly knowledgeable about Macs, don't own one, not 'sure' if I'll ever buy one (toying with the idea of a Macbook Pro for my next work rig, since most of my 'work computers' are all virtual machines I connect to and work on these days, 'what' I use to do that is becoming less and less important), but to think after all this time, this is where we're at, it's kinda sad.

A Mac is a PC. Just like Puffs are Kleenex. Doesn't matter what got coined as the name, it does the same thing. It just happens to be a tightly coupled hardware/software marriage.

Not sure why I decided to post. Maybe it was because I took a bit of the Apple today and my first iPad (first Apple product, I think...oh wait, I had an old *** iPod with a big hard drive in it once) is on it's way. April 11th though - heavy sigh.

I made no assumptions in my pervious post. You may have added them after the fact but it doesn’t change the market. Adequate proof of market share and support was given. The onus does not fall to me in such a case. The computer sales have grown year after year if you wish to belabor the point. Those statistics are not in dispute.

A company that makes computers gains market share and brand loyalty year in year out. Is this not enough of an indicator? I suspect that perhaps you problem lies more in a company name and it’s perception than in it’s worth in the gaming community.

Your bias towards a particular brand of computers does not change the market trend and strength I had outlined previous. If you would like to debate maybe how strong that momentum really is then I think a dialogue is more than acceptable.

Simply saying Company X is nothing but it’s mobile line is a skewed view not taking into account the rest of the company hardware and the loyal users they garner.

Your did not give a counterpoint to what you had asked for. You did not acknowledge the point previously made. You pointed out a large wing of a company and skipped the portion of the company that you had asked to be clarified.

I would ask that you give a response related to the answer of your original question.

Edited by Pencilvania

Mac users are grossly overstating the actual number of mac gamers vs pc gamers.

Trust me on this - Mac users are the 1%ers.

You are a HUGE minority - and from a monetary standpoint it is not worth it.

The hundreds of thousands of Mac World of Warcraft subscribers may disagree with your viewpoint.

Many guild started in SWTOR have said in many other SWTOR forums that their guilds are taking 20-30% hits because of the Mac users in their guilds. This of course is an indicator from another game however it is SWTOR’s main competitor, all MMORPGS main competitor in fact.

If you like I can find some of those links for you to take a look at.

I made no assumptions in my pervious post. You may have added them after the fact but it doesn’t change the market. Adequate proof of market share and support was given. The onus does not fail to me in such a case. The computer sales have grown year after year if you wish to belabor the point. Those statistics are not in dispute.

A company that makes computers gains market share and brand loyalty year in year out. Is this not enough of an indicator? I suspect that perhaps you problem lies more in a company name and it’s perception than in it’s worth in the gaming community.

Your bias towards a particular brand of computers does not change the market trend and strength I had outlined previous. If you would like to debate maybe how strong that momentum really is then I think a dialogue is more than acceptable.

Simply saying Company X is nothing but it’s mobile line is a skewed view not taking into account the rest of the company hardware and the loyal users they garner.

Your did not give a counterpoint to what you had asked for. You did not acknowledge the point previously made. You pointed out a large wing of a company and skipped the portion of the company that you had asked to be clarified.

I would ask that you give a response related to the answer of your original question.

and yet with all this time and effort on your part...wasted. How's that feel?

and yet with all this time and effort on your part...wasted. How's that feel?

If you choose to invalidate yourself from the discussion I take no offense. You may taunt me if you choose but it won't elisit an angry response on my part.

My answer was clear and accurate, I still awake a counterpoint to the question you asked.

If you choose to invalidate yourself from the discussion I take no offense. You may taunt me if you choose but it won't elisit an angry response on my part.

My answer was clear and accurate, I still awake a counterpoint to the question you asked.

It's more an issue of me being too busy queueing up for WZs and only have a few minutes to pester you on this thread between them....can't type long winded responses and PVP at the same time. You're welcome to join me on Ajunta Pall...that is if you have a Windows PC sitting around....

A Mac is a PC. Just like Puffs are Kleenex.

I hate to be that guy but:

Puffs aren't Kleenex. Puffs and Kleenex are both brandnames of facial tissue.

EDIT: but you're right, Macs are PCs.

Edited by Toxen

I hate to be that guy but:

Puffs aren't Kleenex. Puffs and Kleenex are both brandnames of facial tissue.

EDIT: but you're right, Macs are PCs.

It's what makes the argument so convoluted and silly. What people are really saying is "My PC is better than your PC." Either way the topic is worded it still has nothing to do with our thread.

if they can produce a mac client version without diverting resources into making the game not completely terrible, then sure, why not.

so, yeah, the answer is no.

Your avatar is the first one I've seen. :p