My sincere apologies to Galactic Starfighter team mates

Pscyon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. My apologies too.

I said *** and did a GSF match last night for GS. It took me over half the match to figure out how to steer the ship. 😁

I died 4 times. I think my team lost - dunno for sure.

It certainly didn't make me want to do it again, but I suppose if it comes up in GS again, I can waste another few minutes flying around aimlessly. 🙂

It took me over half the match to figure out how to steer the ship. 😁

I figured out near the end how to speed up. Early on I got an inactivity warning because it took me so long to reach the action.

Yesterday I rerolled a starfighter match, only for it to be replaced by unranked pvp. Urgh. Was luckier today though; rerolled a starfighter and got Outer Rim enemies. But yeah, most likely I won't be jumping into starfighter again.

And "you're welcome" to the other team that gets easy kills.

Since I'm rubbish at this particular part of the game, I have barely played it at all and this was the first time in who knows how long. I think I had 1 kill maybe and like 7 deaths. That probably made it as enjoyable for my team as it was for me. In other words, not at all. And what happens today? The same stupid thing. Not sure if I should punish myself and the other players by queuing again, or stick to just punishing myself by having half my Seasons done today; or maybe even none, if the other objective refuses to count progress again. sigh

This is me. I have NO interest in PvP in any form and only do this for the GS reward. I'm sure my team is happy to have me and my lack of ability and its great for the opponents that get to increase their kill count. The 5-10 minutes for it to finish are far too long.

Never apologize for not being good.

Let's just say this thought of "I can't do anything, I'm worthless" is quite the thing to get stuck in your head on constant replay when, say, old age or a medical issue takes away your ability to do stuff like you used to. Anyone who internalizes this idea sets themselves up for some seriously dark times.

I remember when I first tried Galactic Starfighter, I was completely clueless. I could barely do anything. It takes practice. After you learn the mechanics, you can get better. It's actually one of the most fun things to do in the game for me now.

I'm sometimes one of the best players in any given match. Not too long ago, I killed 20 opponents in one match (even though we lost 46-50).

Occasionally, when my teams come up against pro groups that completely destroy us, I've managed to become the best of the worst. There were a couple times we lost 50-1 or 50-2, and I was the one who got the one kill to prevent a sweep.

If you're terrible now, that doesn't mean you can't be better later.

This is me. I have NO interest in PvP in any form and only do this for the GS reward.

And Bioware wins.

Every time someone logs into PvP or GSF just to "do it for the GS reward" someone at Bioware calls up the chain of command and says "See, I told you forcing them to play this stuff by gating non PvP/GSF rewards behind it would work; no need to actually invest in Devs who know how to make good content" and Bioware laughs.

The ONLY way to send the message to Bioware to stop gating stuff like this is to not do it... ...ever.

But, too many player have FOMO for those rewards, so Bioware will continue to be incentivised to engage in cheap, lazy, bad game design.

All The Best

Same for me, except that today I managed to achieve 9 and then 12 kill assists...

Just make sure you hop on a different ship every time you die, so that you can try all 4 basic ships: there is also a weekly for flying all 4 ships. Use your weakness to your advantage.

Bioware will continue to be incentivised to engage in cheap, lazy, bad game design.

Gameplay that is cheap to develop, comes with tons of longevity and stands repetition extremely well is the polar opposite of bad design though. All Pvp settings tend to have some of this going.

Release five hours worth of awesome, new story content on Monday and you'll have players wondering how to spend their time in-game by Tuesday. Meanwhile, good pvp content can keep one busy for years or decades.

They know GSF amounts ot some extremely well designed content and want to encourage ppl to check it out.

.....ofc it is entirely subjective how much one likes or hates GSF, if one has fun or terribad time in there etc. How incredibly well balanced gameplay and the 12 ships are though? It is undeniable and almost surprising.

No ship is an obvious upgrade from one another. 11 out of 12 have their own playstyle and path to victory. Make a party of 4 vet GSF pilots with 10k++ matches played between them and they'll have surprisingly hard time agreeing with stuff like " what is the best ship" or " ultimate cookie cutter build" etc.

Edited by Stradlin

Never apologize for not being good.

Let's just say this thought of "I can't do anything, I'm worthless" is quite the thing to get stuck in your head on constant replay when, say, old age or a medical issue takes away your ability to do stuff like you used to. Anyone who internalizes this idea sets themselves up for some seriously dark times.

Oh I honestly think I could become good at this, if I put the effort in. Previously I was one of the top pvp players in another MMORPG as part of a premade, well-coordinated group. It was just means to an end however. Two ends spesifically; helping two of the other group members achieve the highest pvp rank and getting myself a sweet armour set, since armour sets were few and far between, good-looking ones doubly so. I do not enjoy pvp, in fact I despise it, and the only thing that made me enjoy it somewhat back then was doing it with a full group of friends.

If I wanted to get good at it, or even play it, Stradlin posted some good advice on the first page of the thread and I'd work from there. But I have no reason to want to play it, or become good at it. Starfighter as an objective is random and not something that requires my commitment. I'm just going to leave it alone and occasionally catch up on lost progress with some of the cartel coins I get through Seasons.

As someone who has lost games with 23 kills 0 deaths and 26 kills 0 deaths (and even a 29 kills with 3 deaths), I don't care if you're not very good -- all I care about is whether or not you actually tried.

Unlike regs or ranked, there's usually less attitude and the loudest ones are usually players who think they're a lot better than they actually are.

So don't apologize for being new as no one starts out in GSF as a great pilot.

And Bioware wins.

Every time someone logs into PvP or GSF just to "do it for the GS reward" someone at Bioware calls up the chain of command and says "See, I told you forcing them to play this stuff by gating non PvP/GSF rewards behind it would work; no need to actually invest in Devs who know how to make good content" and Bioware laughs.

The ONLY way to send the message to Bioware to stop gating stuff like this is to not do it... ...ever.

But, too many player have FOMO for those rewards, so Bioware will continue to be incentivised to engage in cheap, lazy, bad game design.

All The Best

The number of players that paid to skip everything in seasons week one tells me this has been at least a short-term boon for Bioware - whether that holds up over time though, I'm not sure.

I personally am back to the 'log on when friends are on - play what I want - skip everything else' mode, and likely to not renew my subscription.

Will enough players drop theirs and stop spending on CM to offset the revenue gained from FOMO players paying real money for seasons?

I'm doubtful, otherwise these types of monetization strategies would not be so prevalent in modern gaming.

Edited by DawnAskham

I did a second GSF for GS. It went a bit better, but controlling the ship is still a pain (I need to figure out how to reverse the vertical axis, but at least I discovered spacebar.)

I still died 4 times, but my team won! 😁

But really the only thing I can say is that I might continue to do GSF for GS (until I get my Fleet apartment), but I can't take it seriously.

Edited by JediQuaker

As someone who has lost games with 23 kills 0 deaths and 26 kills 0 deaths (and even a 29 kills with 3 deaths), I don't care if you're not very good -- all I care about is whether or not you actually tried.

Unlike regs or ranked, there's usually less attitude and the loudest ones are usually players who think they're a lot better than they actually are.

So don't apologize for being new as no one starts out in GSF as a great pilot.

now I've only tried GSF 3 times ever, BUT...the one thing that really stuck out to me is that it actually FELT like I was alone in the vastness of space with only the occasional enemy to destroy me from so far away that he was barely a spec amongst the stars.

my point here is that it in no way felt like I was part of a team whatsoever. so yeah, it's definitely not as divisive as ground pvp ops chat. but...it also feels A LOT more like you're Ripley alone amongst a colony of xenomorphs.

When I first played GSF in 2014, I hated it. It was only a couple of years ago that I gave it another try, and now it's probably my most-played game mode.

But, as others have said, I was terrible at first. The good news is that it really does not take that much practice to get into a state where you're contributing, or to feel a level of enjoyment. My advice is to pick one aspect of GSF and spend 1-2 matches practicing it, then move onto the next. Here are some examples:

• Power management (default F1, F2, F3). Switch to weapon (F1) power anytime you're about to shoot. Switch to shields (F2) if you're on a satellite and just need to hold out for reinforcements. The rest of the time, switch to engines (F3).
  • Shooting. Practice following the target reticle and keeping the target in your firing arc.
  • Escaping. Practice using your engine maneuvers and learn how your ship will react to each one. Notice your environment and you'll quickly learn to use an engine maneuver a) without crashing into an asteroid/wall, and b) to MAKE USE of those asteorids/walls, by timing your maneuver so that you fly around them and into cover. Spend a whole match or 5 matches practicing this if you need to, it is a crazy boost to survivability.
  • Hovering over buffs/debuffs. Many new players feel like they can't hit anything, or that more experienced players are invulnerable. Although there are passives that contribute to this, there are also a lot of active buffs/debuffs which you can play around. E.g. if someone pops their Distortion Field (light blue ability) then they've broken your missile lock and get a nice evasion boost – if you're a new player, don't bother shooting them until this wears off.
  • Get the right crew and components. Components can take a bit of time to level up, but crew add a huge amount and are relatively cheap. Check out some of the stickies in the GSF forum.

I'm not suggesting that you invest hours or days learning GSF. Some people may just decide they are never going to like it, and that's fine – I hope you might feel differently after playing it for a bit, but ultimately everyone has their own preference.

However, if you are going to play GSF for the Seasons points, there are some simple things that you can practice as you play so that you might enjoy it a little bit more.

To the OP: don't apologise, there are enough of us who regularly play GSF so that each team has a few people who can carry. Don't let it put you off, keep queuing and keep playing, and I hope you can find some fun with it. :)

Edited by JarenWelen

Gameplay that is cheap to develop, comes with tons of longevity and stands repetition extremely well is the polar opposite of bad design though. All Pvp settings tend to have some of this going.

Release five hours worth of awesome, new story content on Monday and you'll have players wondering how to spend their time in-game by Tuesday. Meanwhile, good pvp content can keep one busy for years or decades.

They know GSF amounts ot some extremely well designed content and want to encourage ppl to check it out.

.....ofc it is entirely subjective how much one likes or hates GSF, if one has fun or terribad time in there etc. How incredibly well balanced gameplay and the 12 ships are though? It is undeniable and almost surprising.

No ship is an obvious upgrade from one another. 11 out of 12 have their own playstyle and path to victory. Make a party of 4 vet GSF pilots with 10k++ matches played between them and they'll have surprisingly hard time agreeing with stuff like " what is the best ship" or " ultimate cookie cutter build" etc.

"Good PvP" and "MMORPG" are 100% mutually exclusive.

All The Best

While it is good that Star Fighter opens up more frequently the number of leechers is woyying.

If your problem is that you don't want to play a certain game mode don't play it. Rewards are not Human rights. If you join a team based game it is your responsiblity to give your best to contribute ina posiitive manner to your teams efforts regardless of wether it is an FP an OP or any kind of PvP

While it is good that Star Fighter opens up more frequently the number of leechers is woyying.

If your problem is that you don't want to play a certain game mode don't play it. Rewards are not Human rights. If you join a team based game it is your responsiblity to give your best to contribute ina posiitive manner to your teams efforts regardless of wether it is an FP an OP or any kind of PvP

I would argue the problem stems from homogenizing all of the rewards systems and making them a reward (singular) system.

keep pvp rewards separate from ops, which are separate from fps, which are separate from gsf, and so on...

but instead, the end game is the same. tech frags and the same gear. there are differences in decos and some gear drops. but...not this big GS thing. not the big tech frags thing. and that is a divisive issue that, I'm sorry is not cut and dry.

keep pvp rewards separate from ops, which are separate from fps, which are separate from gsf, and so on...

That simply doesnt work. While there are some rewards specific to PvP, GSF and Operations players want to progress their character and the ideal way to allow that while giving them the freedom to play whatever mode they want is homogenizing rewards with time invested and difficulty beeing the most important factors in determining what one gets.

• 3 months later...

Ah, so there are other people out there like me. That means:

- I can't do any damage to any other players, no matter how much ammo I use up during an encounter. I can shoot a player like 2 minutes straight and still, 100% life.

- They can 1-shot me. Gunships? lol. Strike fighters? Maybe a few simple shots here and there, but a missile will do the job. Speaking of missiles:

- I can't shoot my missiles. The amount of time their require to lock-on a target compare to others. They can like kill me 3 times by the time I could shoot 1 missile, and still, that'd do 0 damage.

- Skills: Shields negates nothing. Scout ships skills do nothing, Reorganizing my energy outputs means nothing, Putting more energy into weapons gives me 0 extra damage, same with shields, maybe engines is useful occasionally to escape from a hot situation... only to be shot down 1.5 seconds later...

Conclusion: GSF is the most hillarious game mode in swtor, where there are some people with invincible and indestructible ships, and there's me with my glass cannon that shoots marshmallows.

There are no setups modifications or builds that could make me any better in this game format.

Ah, so there are other people out there like me. That means:

- I can't do any damage to any other players, no matter how much ammo I use up during an encounter. I can shoot a player like 2 minutes straight and still, 100% life.

- They can 1-shot me. Gunships? lol. Strike fighters? Maybe a few simple shots here and there, but a missile will do the job. Speaking of missiles:

- I can't shoot my missiles. The amount of time their require to lock-on a target compare to others. They can like kill me 3 times by the time I could shoot 1 missile, and still, that'd do 0 damage.

- Skills: Shields negates nothing. Scout ships skills do nothing, Reorganizing my energy outputs means nothing, Putting more energy into weapons gives me 0 extra damage, same with shields, maybe engines is useful occasionally to escape from a hot situation... only to be shot down 1.5 seconds later...

Conclusion: GSF is the most hillarious game mode in swtor, where there are some people with invincible and indestructible ships, and there's me with my glass cannon that shoots marshmallows.

There are no setups modifications or builds that could make me any better in this game format.

There is: Practice.

If there are those who can beat "Boshi" or "I Want to be the Guy"

Except unlike those games, you have an advantage: You are a fan of Star Wars to begin with. Is it balanced? Probably not. Is it SW:Squadrons? No. But it is the only actual RPG starfighter game that is officially licensed. My advice? Lose that mindset of "I can't" because that is the only thing stopping you.

Have faith! GSF throws you to deep end of the pool without many good ways to practice it. If you don't get any help at the beginning, you are going to have real bad time. Help can me experienced pilot flying with you and giving guidance. It can be a youtube video, Or a written guide.

As is starting to become clear to anyone reading these threads, significant portion of people who figure Starfighter out gradually end up really liking it. It is a very well made, incredibly well balanced minigame, But it can be annoying to learn the basics. Check this guide: https://grinningnebula.enjin.com/activity

Most notably, check the links section at bottom. And or just search GSF school movement 101 in youtube

Edited by Stradlin

A single sufficiently skilled player can carry a whole team in GSF. In cases like that all you have to do is not kill yourself.

For new players interested in actually playing GSF, upgrade any lock-on missile and go from there.

Edited by Templock