Change my Mind: Mara's should've never been given stealth

Llacertus

Mara should've never been given stealth. The stereotype of a marauder is supposed to be a berserker type class. Not some mix between a stealth class and a frontline class. Most of mara's dcd's are outdated, and the double cloak is just a rushed addon to compensate for poor survivability. Every mara main I've ever talked to hates the fact that they have to take double cloak into ranked just to survive. I don't think I've ever met a mara main thats satisfied with where the class is right now. Every mara main I've talked to thinks the devs either hate the class or have completely given up on mara's.

While I agree that doubling up on stealth is excessive for maras, Force Camouflage is fine as an ability. It’s not hard to get around, doesn’t last super long, doesn’t cleanse DOTs, and doesn’t cancel combat. It hasn’t been a huge issue with Maras until they got the ability to reset it every 30 seconds with their speed boost.

Also, I don’t know what mara main players you’ve been talking to, but tell them to reevaluate. Fury mara is one of the most effectively powerful classes in ranked due to their CC immunities and high damage. Maybe these people you referred to main Annihilation or Carnage, in which case I see their point. But Fury is the gold standard for Force-using melee classes in ranked.

Mara should've never been given stealth. The stereotype of a marauder is supposed to be a berserker type class. Not some mix between a stealth class and a frontline class. Most of mara's dcd's are outdated, and the double cloak is just a rushed addon to compensate for poor survivability. Every mara main I've ever talked to hates the fact that they have to take double cloak into ranked just to survive. I don't think I've ever met a mara main thats satisfied with where the class is right now. Every mara main I've talked to thinks the devs either hate the class or have completely given up on mara's.

It's pretty bonkers that we're pretty much relegated to only one tactical in ranked. And yes, I think the developers hate the class. It seems obvious by their reluctance to do anything to help the class...particularly Combat.

It's pretty bonkers that we're pretty much relegated to only one tactical in ranked. And yes, I think the developers hate the class. It seems obvious by their reluctance to do anything to help the class...particularly Combat.

I mean, just about every class is relegated to one tactical to be effective in ranked. Operative/Scoundrel has Volatile Strike, Jugg/Guardian tank has Grit Teeth, Sin/Shadow has Two Cloaks, and PT/Vanguard has Powerlode. Obviously, the tactical is spec dependent, but they all have something that is considered BiS.

Also, Fury/Concentration is perfectly fine in PvP while Annihilation/Watchman is one of the best specs to have in PvE. So it’s really just Carnage/Combat that desperately needs help.

While I agree that doubling up on stealth is excessive for maras, Force Camouflage is fine as an ability. It’s not hard to get around, doesn’t last super long, doesn’t cleanse DOTs, and doesn’t cancel combat. It hasn’t been a huge issue with Maras until they got the ability to reset it every 30 seconds with their speed boost.

Also, I don’t know what mara main players you’ve been talking to, but tell them to reevaluate. Fury mara is one of the most effectively powerful classes in ranked due to their CC immunities and high damage. Maybe these people you referred to main Annihilation or Carnage, in which case I see their point. But Fury is the gold standard for Force-using melee classes in ranked.

Took me awhile to get around to this, but here we go.

Fury + Forcebound is the gold standard for melee 4v4 dps solo's. Anytime you bring them into groupranked, they dont do well because the meta comps have nothing to do with maras. If you brought a forcebound wearing fury mara into groupranked, they'd be outpressured by a tank. Also I don't think you understood what I was saying when I was talking about Force Camo. I'm not saying its overpowered or unpowered. I'm saying the fact that you have you use a defensive tactical just to survive with that class is ridiculous. The design choice of a berserker type class having to act like a stealth class ruins the aesthetic of a marauder. It forces a melee dps that has 0 tools to use from stealth to play as a stealth class except without being able to cc or heal from stealth. Mara's would be much better off if force camo was a dcd that increased their damage output while being attacked, and gave them self heals to maybe 50-60% of their hp. As it stands now, mercs, a ranged class with a net, are tankier than maras.

Also, Fury/Concentration is perfectly fine in PvP while Annihilation/Watchman is one of the best specs to have in PvE. So it’s really just Carnage/Combat that desperately needs help.

I wouldn't say Fury is perfect rn, but performs fairly well. Anni mara, however, is a cleave spec that gets out cleaved by every other cleave spec in the game. It's dot spread only includes 2 dots, the aoe is very small, and those dots will quickly fall off anytime you get stunned, slowed, or rooted. If it were up to me, maras would be given increased damage and radius from sweeping slash.

Edited by Llacertus

Fury/Conc is arguably an A-tier spec in PvP cause of double camo. It has good group util with Roar (+ Force Bound set), Obfuscate, and Ravage root, plus solid survivability with Crush’s CC immunity and if you talent Blood Ward. It’s no operative or merc but when played well, it’s damn good in solos. Annihilation/Watchman is also one of (if not the best) the top specs in PvE right now, although the rotation is rigorous to a degree.

Carnage/Combat sucks though, which is unfortunate cause it’s easily my favorite spec, but Marauder/Sentinel is in a good place right now if you look at the tools it has (specifically thru a PvP lens). Could it use some tweaks for Combat/Carnage and some DCD updates to keep up with how the meta’s shifted almost entirely to yellow damage? Sure, but it’s by no means bad.

• 8 months later...
I wouldn't object to losing force camoflage if they had let us keep obfuscate and undying. Personally I like to play aggressively, I try to stay in the fight as long as I can. Most other dps classes get self heals, reflects and shields. With Maras yes they have a lot of DCD's but it takes time and effort to learn how to use them effectively.

I mean, just about every class is relegated to one tactical to be effective in ranked. Operative/Scoundrel has Volatile Strike, Jugg/Guardian tank has Grit Teeth, Sin/Shadow has Two Cloaks, and PT/Vanguard has Powerlode. Obviously, the tactical is spec dependent, but they all have something that is considered BiS.

i agree with this statement... mostly.... concentration / fury is also pretty strong in pve...

right now, combat/carnage is pure trash. i think the devs hate this this class for some reason.

The stereotype of a marauder is supposed to be a berserker type class. Not some mix between a stealth class and a frontline class.

You're only seeing one side of the coin here.

Sentinels are jedi who usually prefer working with the people and learning more than just the force. That is why they had the droid CC on launch. And during war times, one of the most effective combat tactic for a sentinel is hit and run. Force camouflage is sentinel's guerrila warfare at its finest to drag attention of forces away from citizens and then retreat and hide away when they themselves are focused down.