Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Returning player.....Are Snipers really that bad now?!?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Returning player.....Are Snipers really that bad now?!?

CheesyEZ
08.29.2021 , 08:55 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by karimthejedi View Post
@Trix yeah I wish they would correct the backfill issue like WHAAATTT!!!! It's annoying. Why hasn't it been fixed?
the deserter debuff was added to reduce back fill. I think it has lessened it a bit. a lot more players visibly AFK or, especially, announce that they quit and then chew out the rest of the op for not coming when he called that one time. personally, i'll just AFK and watch otters on youtube, maybe the latest ep of emergency awesome, check the kitchen situation, or sometimes i'll just go join the DM. iunno. it is what it is. you can either be trixxie screaming the sky is falling and write exacting step by step instructions to "make swtor great again," or you can...you know...let it go. now if only I had control over ice and snow.....

I've also found that most players still leave immediately in 1) vandin, 2) arenas, 3) OPG, 4) quesh in that order. the differen between 2 and 3 is fairly large. but the different between 4 and 5 is exceptionally large. I think we've isolated the maps/formats most players dislike or won't play ad nauseum.

it's anecdotal, but I'm very confident in it at least as far as SF is concerned. I do queue at all different times from 10am-3am EST various times a given day but the range of days and hours of the day is pretty large.

TrixxieTriss
08.30.2021 , 01:52 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by thefishdude View Post
Submited a customer service ticket just to see the response. I quote....

I have reviewed your ticket and it looks like you are referring to issues with PVP warzones matching issues for 3v3. I have checked all the required things you asked me to and I would like to inform you that WARZONES ARE WORKING AS INTENDED and we did not receive many reports about this

Glad to see not much has changed in my six years away from the game.
Maybe we should all make tickets every time we get a 3v4 game or 1v4 game. Then they’ll have the reports to support what’s happening.

xXSchmedlyXx
08.30.2021 , 07:40 AM | #13
No need to respond. Got my toon leveled, geared and played a bunch of pvp matches. Snipers suck now.

**UPDATED**
Appears you just need to roll a Merc,Jugg or Operative to completely destroy everyone.
clearly you've never watched scooby

Rion_Starkiller
08.30.2021 , 10:34 AM | #14
I played the game at launch for about four years and I'm stepping my toes back in after 5+ years. I've read a bunch of forum post and other articles. Are snipers ( Eng & MM) really that bad in PVP now or are the other classes just that much better?

I know metas come and go, but it makes me sad to think my favorite classes sucks....
This is a L2P issue.
Beruhl (ง︡'-'︠)ง ~ ADAL-IstyanFiend
8 pugs and a grophet can i borrow a stim?
Quote: Originally Posted by Trolltar View Post
I believe he's quoting a frequent contributor to these forums. His name is Strawman.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Thanks Rion Starbrah.

tharlainmar
08.30.2021 , 11:37 AM | #15
definitely a l2p issue, just keep playing the game and learning with whatever class is most fun for you. you'll get there OP
-Hasai | Räizo
twitch.tv/hasaipvp

the_nerfherder
09.02.2021 , 11:45 AM | #16
My main is a slinger that I have been playing since launch… It was a hard *** class to PvP with back then, but mastering it was worth it…

Compared to launch (I returned to the game about a year ago) sniper/slinger is so much easier and, once mastered, so deadly. Not bad at all.

thefishdude
09.13.2021 , 02:34 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
This is a L2P issue.
It's funny. It's always easier to just write "it's a L2P issue" than actually address the comment. Makes the person look edgy I guess.....

Having played for several weeks now (all three specs in pvp), snipers are definitely not the top dogs. They aren't the worse, but definitely not top dog. Give them a tactical that auto crits Ambush, allows Ambush to insta cast and continues to proc it for 30 seconds....then we'll talk about being top dog (looking at you Powerlode).
Forum Warrior Apprentice

LordCamTheGreat
09.13.2021 , 06:25 PM | #18
You could spend hundreds of hours learning to be the best sniper possible, or you could just make a brand new mercenary and get practically the same results + more utility. Tank juggs and all types of merc are defo the top dogs rn and hopefully the 7.0 rebalancing levels out the playing field for others specs (though I doubt dot specs like madness will ever be considered good).

Marksman and engineering can do really good damage and win a lot of 1v1s, but against some classes you just don't stand a chance, you need to always be thinking 2 steps ahead with positioning and relocation. Virulence absolutely is terrible. Great for numbers fluffing, terrible at anything else.
Jack of all classes, master of some. Always remember that cake is a lie.

CheesyEZ
09.13.2021 , 10:01 PM | #19
I think you're conflating "ease of play" with "most effective."

I suspect there are quite a few sniper mains who will be upset if your complaining about snipers leads BW to lower the skill floor for the class but also (as they should) lower the ceiling along with it (just as merc ceiling is lower than sniper).

for my part, I'd be fine with such a shift as I don't play sniper. but yeah...iunno. I'd take caprica's word on this over random dude who can't seem to play the class effectively.

this xpack, I play arsenal (less), IO (most), deception (most recently), fury mara. and I'm toying with a skank jugg (but it's so silly simplistic that it feels like arsenal that doesn't die in regs, so I'm struggling to login with it).

my point is this...I will go after mercs and sorcs on my sin and mara without hesitation. if I fail, I'll go at it a few more times before deciding that the opponent just has my measure. but with snipers, I'll only try once. you can tell right away whether a sniper knows what he's doing or not. and if he does, I just go do something on the other side of the WZ (or wait for an army of friends to help me on the sniper).

thefishdude
09.15.2021 , 10:12 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by LordCamTheGreat View Post
You could spend hundreds of hours learning to be the best sniper possible, or you could just make a brand new mercenary and get practically the same results + more utility. Tank juggs and all types of merc are defo the top dogs rn and hopefully the 7.0 rebalancing levels out the playing field for others specs (though I doubt dot specs like madness will ever be considered good).

Marksman and engineering can do really good damage and win a lot of 1v1s, but against some classes you just don't stand a chance, you need to always be thinking 2 steps ahead with positioning and relocation. Virulence absolutely is terrible. Great for numbers fluffing, terrible at anything else.
First, thanks for the detailed response. Second, I'm just not gonna roll a merc or commando (seriously, that ability that heals them is nuts....I've learned to simply stop firing at them or CC them). I've always loved snipers, so I'll continue working on that front.

With that said, Engineering is definitely my favorite spec, but I just don't think its burst is enough. I want it to be, but it just doesn't measure up to my least favorite spec....MM. Unfortunately, as always, MM is/was always the best spec in PVP.
Forum Warrior Apprentice