Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Jenovan
02.28.2012 , 10:56 AM | #511
Quote: Originally Posted by MoogleNut View Post
http://kotaku.com/5888909/why-a-vide...o-be-a-gay-man

Sooo, maybe the Doctors forgot to send the memo to Bioware Austin

As positive as I try to stay (the medication helps sometimes, honest), articles like this really makes me wonder if Bioware Canada even know what's happening over in Austin, or rather what's NOT happening.

The founders openly support Mass Effect and Dragon age, but not a word about SWTOR?

Makes no sense
Wow. Just...

Quote:
"It's surprising that people think it's that big a deal," Zeschuk said. "If you're creating this kind of content, it's very natural to provide all the options. So that's always kind of funny."
(Emphasis mine)

Stuff like this just makes me wonder what is going on here with SWTOR?
Star Forge * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas

Rayla_Felana
02.28.2012 , 11:00 AM | #512
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenovan View Post
Wow. Just...

(Emphasis mine)

I realised a long while back that Edmonton and Austin are two completely different companies.

Lurkz
02.28.2012 , 11:02 AM | #513
Wow. Just...

(Emphasis mine)

A very good question... I'm starting to wonder if Rayla's right and they're really just two different companies but EA decided to slap the name "Bioware" on BW:Austin to make it sound better.
The Nightborn Legacy - Ebon Hawk - Aquillian Rangers
Captain Jaxx - Gunslinger || Caiden - Jedi Sentinel

...Holospectrum...

Rayla_Felana
02.28.2012 , 11:21 AM | #514
Quote: Originally Posted by Lurkz View Post
A very good question... I'm starting to wonder if Rayla's right and they're really just two different companies but EA decided to slap the name "Bioware" on BW:Austin to make it sound better.
Bioware Edmonton is run by Bioware, Bioware Austin is blatantly run by Electronic Arts.

Suaine
02.28.2012 , 11:25 AM | #515
Well, at least the writing team has some significant overlap. Both Jenifer Hepler and Mary Kirby have written for SWTOR and you might recognize them as prominent writers in the Dragon Age series. I don't know how different the companies are on a managerial level, but they do share resources, especially writing staff. Drew Karpyshyn, who was one of the main writers of Mass Effect also wrote a lot for SWTOR. As much as it sometimes looks like it, these are not different companies, not when it comes to the people who make up the stories and that's our main focus here - the coders and software engineers they hired to keep up with an MMO are, in my opinion, the bulk of entirely new staff.
We have to create the future, or others will do it for us. We have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will?
~ Susan Ivanova, Anla-shok Na, space bisexual

Jenovan
02.28.2012 , 11:25 AM | #516
Well... Edmonton and Austin are certainly two different and separate studios, but they both fall under the Doctors' Bioware umbrella. The Docs were certainly heard at launch, promoting this big new thing of theirs.

SWTOR has a strong Bioware pedigree: the name on the label, obviously; its place as a successor to KotOR; and its implementation of interactive, voiced dialog a la the Mass Effect games and Dragon Age 2. Edit: and as mentioned above, a shared pool of writing and possibly other talent with previous Bioware games. With this interview fresh in my mind, it feels more than ever that whatever blocked SGRAs in the first place was related to LucasArts (or some other outside agency, but who else has more stake in it?), or (and I like the implications of this even less) the idea that an MMO, with a broader audience than BW's recent titles, was not a good place to implement them.

Possibilities we've been over before in these threads, of course, but sometimes it just bears repeating for incredulity's sake.

MoogleNut
02.28.2012 , 11:26 AM | #517
I'm beginning to think the same thing.

/sigh, time to apply the compartmentalisation attitude to this as I do with most other things, and try to remember Austin is not the Bioware I know and love, although honestly, when I see things like this: http://www.swtor.com/blog/ray-and-gr...nk-you-playing it's kind of difficult.

The longer we're left in the dark and the more I see and hear Bioware Canada espousing their inclusiveness, the more I thing we've some-how slipped into some strange, unpleasant alternate-universe.

Oh well, back to my ME2 playthrough.

Kioma
02.28.2012 , 11:31 AM | #518
Quote: Originally Posted by MoogleNut View Post
The longer we're left in the dark and the more I see and hear Bioware Canada espousing their inclusiveness, the more I thing we've some-how slipped into some strange, unpleasant alternate-universe.

Oh well, back to my ME2 playthrough.
Maybe the studios are competing. Who knows? That's the biggest problem - not the differences, not the discrepancies, but the silence. Until we get some feedback we just won't know why things are the way they are with TOR. It's all speculation.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Jenovan
02.28.2012 , 11:33 AM | #519
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Until we get some feedback we just won't know why things are the way they are with TOR. It's all speculation.
I suspect that even if all our implementation dreams come true (holding out hope!), we'll never know the full story behind the non-implementation. Just gotta hope that whoever was responsible learned something from it. :|

Kioma
02.28.2012 , 11:40 AM | #520
I suspect that even if all our implementation dreams come true (holding out hope!), we'll never know the full story behind the non-implementation. Just gotta hope that whoever was responsible learned something from it. :|
I'd settle for that, yeah. A little bit of mystery is no major drama.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::