Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dear Story Team, What Year Are We Currently In?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Dear Story Team, What Year Are We Currently In?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

jedimasterjac
05.23.2020 , 12:32 PM | #61
I'm still trying to understand the opposing argument. It costs virtually nothing for BioWare to offer an official timeline for the game, and for someone like Boyd to tell us what year we're in. Even if it were true that RPers play outside of the established storyline (they do not), why is it a bad thing for us to get an official year, and why should we not?

I don't really get the anti-RP sentiment.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.
Feel like I've said something good? Click my referral link for free goodies!

Ylliarus
05.23.2020 , 12:43 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Goreshaga View Post
I also don't get what's so hard to understand about what Ylliarus and Kiesu explained.
I'm not a RPer, in the sense i don't RP with other people, but i like writting stuff.
I am glad to see I was not as unclear as I feared to be

And while i'd have chapter focusing on the main cast, some would focus on the other characters.
So for me as well, knowing the passing of time would actually be very usefull.
The argument became a little focused on RPers in particular, but I am sure that even those that do Light RP or don't even RP at all, but are interested and invested into the story, would like to know the current in-universe year. It's very much like Jedimasterjac said:

Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
It costs virtually nothing for BioWare to offer an official timeline for the game, and for someone like Boyd to tell us what year we're in.
Exactly! It would be more than sufficient if Charles Boyd or someone else from the story team would post the current in-universe year in this thread. They could perhaps create a brief overview of how they see the timeline and where all the expansion and story updates fit in year-wise and post it in here. At most, it would cost only a little bit of fingerwork to type it out that's the only cost there is to posting it for example here.

Even if it were true that RPers play outside of the established storyline (they do not), why is it a bad thing for us to get an official year, and why should we not?

I don't really get the anti-RP sentiment.
I hope it's not so much an anti-RP sentiment as simple misunderstanding of why such details in lore are important to RPers, be they heavy RPers like I used to be or Light RPers like others in this thread.
The One, True Lord Ryssius
Playing SWTOR since November 2012
Darth Malgus [EU]

jedimasterjac
05.23.2020 , 01:24 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Exactly! It would be more than sufficient if Charles Boyd or someone else from the story team would post the current in-universe year in this thread. They could perhaps create a brief overview of how they see the timeline and where all the expansion and story updates fit in year-wise and post it in here. At most, it would cost only a little bit of fingerwork to type it out that's the only cost there is to posting it for example here.
I seem to remember another thread where you tweeted at Charles Boyd and he responded; have you tried tweeting him to ask what current year it is, in-game? (Sorry if someone already brought this up in the thread; I haven't read through every post.)

Setokai
05.23.2020 , 01:24 PM | #64
Something i do tend to notice with some people that RP and their backgrounds they come up with tend to completely contradict things in game, like sayng you're from a noble house on alderaan yet, when your character in game has never even been there or ever knows what is going on there
http://www.swtor.com/r/xlcFwx
free stuff for a new or preferred status player
HK-55: Commentary: I am programmed for self-restraint. Usually.
Star Forge Guild site: https://swtorfancommunity.com/guild/132/606781

jedimasterjac
05.23.2020 , 01:26 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Setokai View Post
Something i do tend to notice with some people that RP and their backgrounds they come up with tend to completely contradict things in game, like sayng you're from a noble house on alderaan yet, when your character in game has never even been there or ever knows what is going on there
Which doesn't have much relevance to the question at hand. Some roleplayers having dubious backstories doesn't mean that roleplayers, as a whole, do not benefit from access to information (such as the current year) which helps keep the universe more cogent.

Ylliarus
05.23.2020 , 01:34 PM | #66
I seem to remember another thread where you tweeted at Charles Boyd and he responded; have you tried tweeting him to ask what current year it is, in-game? (Sorry if someone already brought this up in the thread; I haven't read through every post.)
No, that's okay! No problem I have been trying to entice a response from Mr. Boyd, but my tweets to him from the last few days have remained unanswered I have tweeted him today with a link to this thread, maybe he hasn't noticed it yet!

*sigh* this is what I have been trying to explain yesterday. RPers don't play as the class stories, they create their own original stories among guild members or other RPers outside of the class stories. They create story arcs, events or personal storylines in the background of the class stories.

So, for example, an RP guild will roleplay as a noble house on Alderaan. Some players will roleplay the actual family members of that family, others will RP the attendants, or security or some sort of rivaling House. All of this happens in the background of the class stories, but they don't roleplay the class stories themselves. So they won't be playing as the Smuggler, the Jedi Knight or the Sith Inquisitor, but they will roleplay a noble from Alderaan who exists in the background of SWTOR's story, but obviously is influenced by the events of the class stories and expansions. So in the background of that noble character, they will have lived on Alderaan their entire life. Because that character is roleplayed as separate from the class story or expansion, but within its setting, as part of the story's background.

So in other words, in that example, the noble character is not the class that player uses. The class and noble character are two separate characters that way. In a sense, you could see that player's toon assuming a different role, like an actor. For example, Ian McDarmid and Emperor Palpatine are not the same person, obviously. The former assumes the role of the latter. In heavy RP, RPers use for example a Smuggler to take on the role of an Alderaanian noble. But the Smuggler is not the noble. However, the class story of the Smuggler may create lore content that influences how the Alderaanian noble is played. If for example in future story content Alderaan is conquered by the Hutts (with Dasty as the Archon of Alderaan *raises martini*), then the Alderaanian noble character will have to reflect that development of the lore in their story.
Darth Malgus [EU]

Goreshaga
05.23.2020 , 01:49 PM | #67
Thing is, it's open enough for your character to possibly be from Alderaan, even in the context of a class character.
Some of their answers would clearly indicate they've never been there, while picking the others could indicate otherwise.
In need of more Arcann, Aric, Torian, Vector, and a lot, lot, lot more Theron.
There's nothing like geting too much Theron

My characters

Ylliarus
05.23.2020 , 01:54 PM | #68
Thing is, it's open enough for your character to possibly be from Alderaan, even in the context of a class character.
Some of their answers would clearly indicate they've never been there, while picking the others could indicate otherwise.
That is true if you are an RPer that simply RPs the class. But that's not what heavy RPers do, they play as a character separate from the class story. They simply use that particular toon to assume the role of an Alderaanian noble, for example, but any role can be assumed really: a senator, a businessman, a freight captain or a simple civilian. The roleplay they do is separate from the class stories, but entirely influenced by what lore the class stories and expansions create.
Darth Malgus [EU]

Kiesu
05.23.2020 , 04:29 PM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
The argument became a little focused on RPers in particular, but I am sure that even those that do Light RP or don't even RP at all, but are interested and invested into the story, would like to know the current in-universe year.
Yeaaah that RP insistence was probably all me. I like D&D a lot. Like a lot a lot. And lot of my characters may live and die just for one gaming session. Cant get too attached when their life is literally tied to dice! Makes everything more exciting when your character is still a mortal who can die at any time. Rises the stakes of every decision, thrilling! It's the only thing I don't like about most fanfiction, the plot armor is too strong there. Makes things predictable. Like most Netflix originals (lol). (if someone has red wedding style everyone-dies fic suggestions, throw them my way :P)

Anyway. From D&D standpoint we mostly can't reuse characters with the timeskip+everything after since its so unclear where everything is. It's a bummer for sure.
Refer! - Pawn alignment funzies - [Add impressive e-peen brag here]
What made Origin stories superior to KotFE/ET? All 8 story characters could co-exist.
Level and world designer, comic artist, general RP nerd and occasional snark novelist.
Legions of Lettow → Tomb of Freedon Nadd → Red Eclipse → Darth Malgus.

Ylliarus
05.23.2020 , 04:40 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Kiesu View Post
Yeaaah that RP insistence was probably all me. I like D&D a lot. Like a lot a lot. And lot of my characters may live and die just for one gaming session. Cant get too attached when their life is literally tied to dice! Makes everything more exciting when your character is still a mortal who can die at any time. Rises the stakes of every decision, thrilling! It's the only thing I don't like about most fanfiction, the plot armor is too strong there. Makes things predictable. Like most Netflix originals (lol). (if someone has red wedding style everyone-dies fic suggestions, throw them my way :P)

Anyway. From D&D standpoint we mostly can't reuse characters with the timeskip+everything after since its so unclear where everything is. It's a bummer for sure.
Which shows that the issue is not only relevant for the RPers I spoke of (the heavy RP roleplayers) but all kinds of players who love SWTOR for the story or who love to write about the story themselves. Having clarity regarding the timeline simply helps the immersion, the credibility of the story.
Darth Malgus [EU]