Dear Story Team, What Year Are We Currently In?

Ylliarus

It's a question many players have been asking themselves and in particular roleplayers have been trying to figure out what year the latest story content takes place in. All we have so far are approximations upon approximations without much clarity regarding the issue. It's creating confusion in the roleplaying community and beyond.

So, dear story team, could you please tell us what the current in-universe year is? Did Onslaught take place in 24 ATC (After the Treaty of Coruscant)? Did The Task at Hand take place in 25 ATC if the latter question is a 'yes'? In what in-universe year will the next story update take place?

Having asked that, a timeline of when which expansion takes place wouldn't hurt at all either. By this I also mean story updates such as Iokath, Nathema or Ossus. Knowing those dates simply creates some form of clarity in regard to lore. It would also simply be nice to know how fast/much our characters are aging.

Perhaps future story updates or expansions could include the in-universe year they take place in, either when launched and the story title shows up or written in the mission description. It wouldn't be too much effort, I presume, while creating clarity as to the timeline.

Edited by Ylliarus

It's a question many players have been asking themselves and in particular roleplayers have been trying to figure out what year the latest story content takes place in. All we have so far are approximations upon approximations without much clarity regarding the issue. It's creating confusion in the roleplaying community and beyond.

So, dear story team, could you please tell us what the current in-universe year is? Did Onslaught take place in 24 ATC (After the Treaty of Coruscant)? Did The Task at Hand take place in 25 ATC if the latter question is a 'yes'? In what in-universe year will the next story update take place?

Having asked that, a timeline of when which expansion takes place wouldn't hurt at all either. By this I also mean story updates such as Iokath, Nathema or Ossus. Knowing those dates simply creates some form of clarity in regard to lore. It would also simply be nice to know how fast/much our characters are aging.

Perhaps future story updates or expansions could include the in-universe year they take place in, either when launched and the story title shows up or written in the mission description. It wouldn't be too much effort, I presume, while creating clarity as to the timeline.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/3630_BBY

here's the best info i can find currently on the overall timeline

I don't remember where but i've read that after Ilum and save for the 5 years in carbonite the timeline was supposed to follow the rl timeline of the game updates.

If that's the case, then that'd give something like this :

- 10 ATC = Prologue + Chapter 1 + The Lost Suns comics (as there are references to the Esseles incident)

- 11 ATC = Chapter 2

- 12 ATC = Chapter 3 + Ilum

- 13 ATC = the Annihilation novel (clearly happens after Ilum, and they still don't know if Vitiate is dead, which is "confirmed" by Saresh at the end of Imp Makeb)

- 14 ATC = Makeb + Oricon

- 15 ATC = FA + SoR (so from the first Tython/Korriban FP to the end of Yavin)

- 16 ATC = Ziost + KOTFE 1

then the 5 years in carbonite with KOTFE 2 somewhere there

- 21 ATC = KOTFE 3 to KOTFE 9

- 22 ATC = KOTFE 10 to KOTET 9

- 23 ATC = Uprisings + Iokath + Umbara + Copero

- 24 ATC = Nathema + JUS

- 25 ATC = Dantooine + Hearts & Minds + Kira & Scourge appearing on Odessen + Onslaught

- 26 ATC = The Task at Hand

I don't know if this is actually accurate, but i decided to follow that when writting, as it gives me a better idea of the passing of time, but an actual, official timeline would be great.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/3630_BBY

here's the best info i can find currently on the overall timeline

The information on Wookieepedia is of course one of the best approximations out there, but that there is already the problem. It's an approximation based on conjecture.

It would be so much easier if the story team simply slapped a date on their story updates and it doesn't seem that much effort to do. A simple post detailing in which in-universe year each major story update takes place shouldn't be that hard to put here, nor to keep it updated. Or, the in-universe year could simply be added into mission descriptions or when the story update flashes in on the screen when we start it. For example, when you launch Inflection Point, the title "Jedi Under Siege" fades in on the bottom right. There's more than enough room beneath it to add "23 ATC" or "24 ATC". It would be one of the easiest ways for the team to add in the in-universe year.

I don't remember where but i've read that after Ilum and save for the 5 years in carbonite the timeline was supposed to follow the rl timeline of the game updates.

If that's the case, then that'd give something like this :

- 10 ATC = Prologue + Chapter 1 + The Lost Suns comics (as there are references to the Esseles incident)

- 11 ATC = Chapter 2

- 12 ATC = Chapter 3 + Ilum

- 13 ATC = the Annihilation novel (clearly happens after Ilum, and they still don't know if Vitiate is dead, which is "confirmed" by Saresh at the end of Imp Makeb)

- 14 ATC = Makeb + Oricon

- 15 ATC = FA + SoR (so from the first Tython/Korriban FP to the end of Yavin)

- 16 ATC = Ziost + KOTFE 1

then the 5 years in carbonite with KOTFE 2 somewhere there

- 21 ATC = KOTFE 3 to KOTFE 9

- 22 ATC = KOTFE 10 to KOTET 9

- 23 ATC = Uprisings + Iokath + Umbara + Copero

- 24 ATC = Nathema + JUS

- 25 ATC = Dantooine + Hearts & Minds + Kira & Scourge appearing on Odessen + Onslaught

- 26 ATC = The Task at Hand

I don't know if this is actually accurate, but i decided to follow that when writting, as it gives me a better idea of the passing of time, but an actual, official timeline would be great.

What you say about ingame time following real life release was indeed true for the content between the release of Ilum and Chapter 1 of KotFE. However, Charles Boyd explicitly said "between Ilum release and chapter 1 of KotFE". Whether it holds true for the content after chapter 1 of KotFE isn't mentioned and probably doubtful, as we have seen in the story that the flow of time doesn't align with release dates IRL.

Your timeline doesn't look too bad, albeit I don't think we have moved beyond 25 ATC yet. Based on the approximations we get, Onslaught is supposed to take place in 24 ATC, which is also what Wookieepedia states about the Missions to Onderon and Mek-Sha. It is possible The Task at Hand takes place in 25 ATC, but that remains highly unconfirmed and I think that story update is to take place relatively shortly after Onslaught. I think it's likely The Task at Hand still occurs in 24 ATC.

Yet this just shows how much easier it would be if we could get an official answer from the story team. Players wouldn't have to base themselves on approximations then, but would just have a clear answer on the question what in-universe year the story they play takes place in.

Edited by Ylliarus

What you say about ingame time following real life release was indeed true for the content between the release of Ilum and Chapter 1 of KotFE. However, Charles Boyd explicitly said "between Ilum release and chapter 1 of KotFE". Whether it holds true for the content after chapter 1 of KotFE isn't mentioned and probably doubtful, as we have seen in the story that the flow of time doesn't align with release dates IRL.

Your timeline doesn't look too bad, albeit I don't think we have moved beyond 25 ATC yet. Based on the approximations we get, Onslaught is supposed to take place in 24 ATC, which is also what Wookieepedia states about the Missions to Onderon and Mek-Sha. It is possible The Task at Hand takes place in 25 ATC, but that remains highly unconfirmed and I think that story update is to take place relatively shortly after Onslaught. I think it's likely The Task at Hand still occurs in 24 ATC.

Yet this just shows how much easier it would be if we could get an official answer from the story team. Players wouldn't have to base themselves on approximations then, but would just have a clear answer on the question what in-universe year the story they play takes place in.

Yep, honnestly i have no idea what is the most accurate timeline, i went with following the RL one, even after KOTFE 1, simply to have an idea of the time passing between each story segment.

For instance, having 6 months between Copero and Nathema doesn't seems too odd to me, as there clearly is a time gap between the 2 in game. And 9 months total from Umbara to Nathema seems correct too as the dialogue clearly indicates that Theron has been missing for a pretty long time when he comes back.

But i fully agree with you that having an official indication of that would be much better.

Putting the year bellow the title on the loading screen where there's the little summary of what happens would be the ideal place for that imo.

Yep, honnestly i have no idea what is the most accurate timeline, i went with following the RL one, even after KOTFE 1, simply to have an idea of the time passing between each story segment.

For instance, having 6 months between Copero and Nathema doesn't seems too odd to me, as there clearly is a time gap between the 2 in game. And 9 months total from Umbara to Nathema seems correct too as the dialogue clearly indicates that Theron has been missing for a pretty long time when he comes back.

I don't disagree with you of course, what you wrote makes perfect sense. Yet even if it makes sense, it's still an approximation. A good approximation, but it still leaves room for uncertainty. But your assessment is definitely sound!

Putting the year bellow the title on the loading screen where there's the little summary of what happens would be the ideal place for that imo.

If they would want to go really low-effort with this, heck, the story team could just include the in-universe year in the post-mission messages that we get. Just an additional line at the top that says "23 ATC", "24 ATC" or "25 ATC" etc etc. That's the way to include the current in-universe year with the least amount of effort, but I think it really wouldn't be too much to ask to include it in the mission description or below the story title somewhere.

In the original SW trilogy, they never mentioned a 'year', and SWTOR is only mentioned as being approximately X years earlier.

Also, consider a few minor points:

- there is no stated galaxy wide dating method mentioned in Star Wars, unlike say, the "star date" in Star Trek, or CE (Common Era) in our calendar.

- a 'year' is the time it takes Terra (Earth) to orbit it's sun. In the SW galaxy, there is no Terra, and therefore, no 'year'. The "5 years" you spend in carbonite, could be practically any length of real time. 🤔

- and/or, in the SW galaxy, if there's no galaxy-wide standard, different planets could have various year lengths, or even totally different ways of keeping track of time.

From an RP perspective, perhaps the best 'workaround' would be to RP your own dates based upon some arbitrary event. Even if it turns out to not be the 'official' date, it can still be used within your group. (Much as the Jewish calendar, or Muslim calendar, etc, is used within certain communities, along with CE.)

Edited by JediQuaker

In the original SW trilogy, they never mentioned a 'year', and SWTOR is only mentioned as being approximately X years earlier.

- there is no stated galaxy wide dating method mentioned in Star Wars, unlike say, the "star date" in Star Trek, or CE (Common Era) in our calendar.

- a 'year' is the time it takes Terra (Earth) to orbit it's sun. In the SW galaxy, there is no Terra, and therefore, no 'year'. The "5 years" you spend in carbonite, could be practically any length of real time. 🤔

- and/or, in the SW galaxy, if there's no galaxy-wide standard, different planets could have various year lengths, or even totally different ways of keeping track of time.

From an RP perspective, perhaps the best 'workaround' would be to RP your own dates based upon some arbitrary event. Even if it turns out to not be the 'official' date, it can still be used within your group. (Much as the Jewish calendar, or Muslim calendar, etc, is used within certain communities, along with CE.)

Sadly, your post is wrought with errors and wrong information.

1. There actually is, there are several calendar methods that have been used throughout lore. You have the following ones used throughout Legends continuity:

- Before/After Tho Yor Arrival

- Before/After Treaty of Coruscant

- Before/After Ruusan Reformation

- Before/After Great ReSynchronization

The most known dating system is BBY and ABY, meaning Before the Battle of Yavin and After the Battle of Yavin. All of these dating systems are literally used in-universe and in the lore.

2. There are years in Star Wars, please check your facts before you start posting. A year in Star Wars is called "Galactic Standard Year" and this is how it is described to work:

"A standard year, also known more simply as a year or formally as Galactic Standard Year, was a measurement of time on the Galactic Standard Calendar, consisting of 368 standard days, with twelve months of at least 30 days each." - Wookieepedia page on "Standard year"

3. There are standardized calendar systems as I have described above. Also, the page on "Galactic Standard Calendar" stipulates that standardized dating system and year measuring methods have been used throughout the eras of Star Wars. They vary from era to era in their name and counting. For example, the calendar that's being used in SWTOR's era is BTC and ATC, meaning Before the Treaty of Coruscant and After the Treaty of Coruscant. This method of time measurement is being used both ingame as well as on this site in the About section. The use of the BTC and ATC calendar is even mentioned in the page I linked to at the start of this paragraph:

"One particularly notable epoch is the Treaty of Coruscant of 3653 BBY. The calendar eras before and after this event (referred to as "BTC" and "ATC," respectively) were popularized by the famous Jedi historian Gnost-Dural. His holographic records, which used this numbering system, contained some of the most complete records of numerous important events such as the Hundred-Year Darkness, the Great Hyperspace War, the Great Sith War, the Mandalorian Wars, the Jedi Civil War, and the Great Galactic Waragainst the returned Sith Empire. For this reason, this method of numbering years remains important to historians." - Wookieepedia page on "Galactic Standard Calendar"

Now, let me ask you what you were thinking when you came to post here? Because, I truly wonder what your intent was. You write a post wherein literally everything you have said is wrong, blatantly wrong, as the in-universe lore clearly disproved what you say. What was your goal by sharing so much false information in here?

Edited by Ylliarus

Now, let me ask you what you were thinking when you came to post here? Because, I truly wonder what your intent was. You write a post wherein literally everything you have said is wrong, blatantly wrong, as the in-universe lore clearly disproved what you say. What was your goal by sharing so much false information in here?

I'm sorry. I tend to exist in the real world, and in the real world, I recognize that a Galaxy long, long ago and far, far away is a phantasy world. And I'm sorry if basic facts upset your 'immersion', but... oh well. 🙄

If you want to go by various made-up "years" or events that you get from fan sites, go for it. But as I stated, in the original trilogy, and the books I've read, no dates were ever given.

But obviously, from the very premise of the OP's post, no one actually knows what the 'real' date is in a fantasy universe. Shocking, I know.

The bottom line is that my 'purpose' was to propose that RP'ers, UNTIL SUCH TIME that an "OFFICIAL" date can be universally agreed upon, should pick a convenient date that fits with their own RP'ing. 🤔

That is, until someone makes up a date for you, make up your own date. Make the date as true to the lore as you can, or want.

I mean really -relax, get a grip. 😂

Edited by JediQuaker

It should be noted here that if you look at the actual tweet, the person he responded to specifically asked about the stuff between Ilum and KOTFE chapter 1, as the tweet itself is from December 2015, shortly after KOTFE came out. I personally like to apply the whole "passage of time in-game equals passage of time in the real world" rule-of-thumb thing, but that doesn't always work.

For instance, I kind of doubt that chapters 12 and 13 (sending Jorgan/Kaliyo on the GEMINI Frequency mission and returning after the Gilded Star raid) took over a month to complete, likewise the in-game portrayal makes me doubt very much that between the Alliance Commander raiding the Zakuulan factory on Darvannis in chapter 14 to the Battle of Odessen in chapter 16, two whole months passed.

Were we to go by the letter of in-game = IRL thing, we'd already be in 26 ATC. I don't think so either, because it would mean that Malgus has been on the run for almost 5 months inbetween the releases of 6.0 and 6.1.

I tend to agree, but I believe the reason there's no official word here is that the devs don't want to adhere too closely to a set timeframe for fear of restricting what players want it to be, i.e. "nothing is canon except what you decide for yourself to be". There's also the possibility that the writing team doesn't want to open themselves up for attack over disrepancies and things like that. For instance,

containing all the different dialogue variants for the Kira and Scourge dialogue in Onslaught. They played the audio for a cut response from Kira saying it's been 6 years, which would suggest that everything from being thawed from carbonite to now was only a year of real time. Edited by BenKatarn

I'm sorry. I tend to exist in the real world, and in the real world, I recognize that a Galaxy long, long ago and far, far away is a phantasy world. And I'm sorry if basic facts upset your 'immersion', but... oh well. 🙄

If you want to go by various made-up "years" or events that you get from fan sites, go for it. But as I stated, in the original trilogy, and the books I've read, no dates were ever given.

But obviously, from the very premise of the OP's post, no one actually knows what the 'real' date is in a fantasy universe. Shocking, I know.

The bottom line is that my 'purpose' was to propose that RP'ers, UNTIL SUCH TIME that an "OFFICIAL" date can be universally agreed upon, should pick a convenient date that fits with their own RP'ing. 🤔

That is, until someone makes up a date for you, make up your own date. Make the date as true to the lore as you can, or want.

I mean really -relax, get a grip. 😂

You're clearly just here to be antagonistic and unhelpful. If you've got nothing to contribute other than trying to undermine the OP's suggestion/request and detract from the topic with your unfamiliarity with the lore, just get lost and do something better with your time maybe?

'Make up your own date' is a laughable suggestion too, for a plethora of reasons, but you know that. Pretty consistent with the usual anti-RP trolls our lot have to contend with whenever we raise RP-related issues on the forums, though, so grats on your lack of originality.

Back under the bridge with thee!

You're literally ignoring what is being stated on this very site about the game's setting:

All dates have been adjusted to match the system adopted by the Galactic Senate in the wake of the recent peace agreement between the Republic and Sith Empire.

ATC - After the Treaty of Coruscant

BTC - Before the Treaty of Coruscant

Detailed holorecords for each event will come online as they are researched and recorded by Archivist Master Gnost-Dural. Available records are indicated by illuminated nodes. Please monitor standard frequencies for notification about the availability of new holorecords.

This is not coming from a fan site, this is coming straight from the SWTOR site. This site literally states there is a calendar system in place. Seriously, check your facts before you start posting.

Well, you have been a little blind so far, so I guess it is a habit for you now. Did you notice the little source stamps on Wookieepedia? Everything that is being stated there has a source in actual in-universe lore, whether it's books, comics, movies, games or other material. Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the concept of Wookieepedia, but as the name suggests it works like Wikipedia. I am sure you have heard of the latter. The statements on Wookieepedia are regularly checked to be consistent with recognised Star Wars lore. That's how sources and posting sources works.

You're clearly just here to be antagonistic and unhelpful. If you've got nothing to contribute other than trying to undermine the OP's suggestion/request and detract from the topic with your unfamiliarity with the lore, just get lost and do something better with your time maybe?

'Make up your own date' is a laughable suggestion too, for a plethora of reasons, but you know that. Pretty consistent with the usual anti-RP trolls our lot have to contend with whenever we raise RP-related issues on the forums, though, so grats on your lack of originality.

Back under the bridge with thee!

Sadly that particular poster has been fairly antagonistic towards me and others who mention the word "RP" over the years I have taken part in forum discussions here. Whenever their points are disproven, they have a tendency to go like "dude, chill out man, you're being obsessive". It's the classic ridiculing trope when one runs out of reasonable arguments. I have taken the effort to point out the sources that clearly disprove his every point, but sadly, instead of simply admitting that he is wrong, the poster fails to grasp what Wookieepedia is and dismisses the literal lists of actual lore sources that it cites.

Edited by Ylliarus

People who don't know anything about the lore probably shouldn't talk down to RPers about how to RP.

There is an established calendar and dating system in this era. We have it. It actually strongly mirrors ABY and BBY (which is also canonical.)

Also, we do have a yardstick for years. The galaxy uses Coruscant as a baseline. (which has a 365 day, 12 month year.) This is confirmed to be canon via a Rebels behind the scenes interview with Pablo Hidalgo.

A: We kinda assume that there is a standard hour, a standard day, a standard week, a standard month, a unit of measurement that everyone understand how long that is. And in our storytelling we say that unit of measurement comes from Coruscant. So not only is it the galactic capital, it is sorta the yardstick through which all time is measured in the galaxy.

Seriously, dude, I know you want to talk down to Yilarius, but spend like 5 minutes googling first. Or just don't be a jerk.

Edited by jedimasterjac

I can't tap dance... So I don't try to give lessons...

People who don't know anything about the lore probably shouldn't talk down to RPers about how to RP.

RPers tend to study the lore of their favourite universes in detail and I can assure you, I love to gobble up details about Star Wars lore like nothing else :)

It's hard for some to understand, as exemplified by the poster your quoted, but RPers follow the lore as closely as possible and want to stick to the lore as closely as possible in their stories. It's why in-universe lore is so important to them, because RPers know it's not their place to make up lore. That's the right and privilege of those who own, write or create said universe. This is why "simply make something up" is the worst thing you can tell an RPer, because that's not how RP works. Not at all.

Got nothing to contribute, but I'd like to know what year it is as well. Just adding my name to the pile of wants here.

The addition is highly appreciated! :D

Edited by Ylliarus

So 2 years and Commodore Pardax is still not up to speed. And it took a year to go from Onslaught to meeting on Alliance base?

I don't think that much time passed between Jedi Under Siege, Onslaught and The Task at Hand. I believe that all of those story updates occur in the same year, namely 24 ATC.

I like the timeline on Torcommunity and have used it extensively when establishing the backstory for my characters. If we take as canon the events of 3630 (23 ATC) as actually happening in 3630 then I would surmise that everything that's happened since Jedi Under Siege has occurred within and the current year is 3629 (24 ATC). I would place the events of JUS and the start of Onslaught at, at most, six months (possibly less) apart. The time between the Meridian complex battle and Task at Hand is likely no more than two weeks. Maybe three based on Scourge's tantrum.

Obviously, that's the speculative answer. Ideally, I wish the writers would create a page on the official forums (and update it more frequently than their Community Content Creators blog) that mirrors the presentation of the Torcommunity timeline so we could easily see when major events happen. I would be highly surprised if the current year is not 3629, but it would still be nice to know for sure. So, I guess that's me adding my name to the petition.

Maybe we can beg Charles for a more definitive, even if rough, timeline on Twitter.

I like the timeline on Torcommunity and have used it extensively when establishing the backstory for my characters. If we take as canon the events of 3630 (23 ATC) as actually happening in 3630 then I would surmise that everything that's happened since Jedi Under Siege has occurred within and the current year is 3629 (24 ATC). I would place the events of JUS and the start of Onslaught at, at most, six months (possibly less) apart. The time between the Meridian complex battle and Task at Hand is likely no more than two weeks. Maybe three based on Scourge's tantrum.

I really like this timeline, it's clear and concise and follows the timeline the same way I have all these years. I don't see why it would be difficult for the dev team to post a similar thing on the forums. It could be updated regularly with each new story update so that a player can simply go there, click on the timeline and learn what story updates takes place in what year. It could also have a similar header as to Torcommunity's saying "The current year is XX ATC".

Maybe we can beg Charles for a more definitive, even if rough, timeline on Twitter.

I have been trying to reach Charles Boyd with this request/question over the last few days, but sadly I have had no response yet :( I hope he'll be able to respond, because especially in the RP community this is something that people really want to know, to have a clear and concise answer.

Edited by Ylliarus

I figured that out while figuring out my roleplay http://crysodenkirk.com/conlangs/SWtimeline.php this link will help you find the year its is.

I figured that out while figuring out my roleplay http://crysodenkirk.com/conlangs/SWtimeline.php this link will help you find the year its is.

Sadly, the site you linked is out of date regarding the current year. I appreciate the thought of course, but it's not so much that we don't know what year it is. We know that the year is 23 or 24 ATC approximately. But this is based on player speculation and what for example the RP community would want is an official answer.

Sadly, the site you linked is out of date regarding the current year. I appreciate the thought of course, but it's not so much that we don't know what year it is. We know that the year is 23 or 24 ATC approximately. But this is based on player speculation and what for example the RP community would want is an official answer.

It's quite possible they don't have a specific date in mind, and aren't responding, because they don't want to pin it down?

Unfortunately it's quite like them to bury their heads instead of answering something they don't or can't, or just couldn't be bothered with.

It's quite possible they don't have a specific date in mind, and aren't responding, because they don't want to pin it down?

Unfortunately it's quite like them to bury their heads instead of answering something they don't or can't, or just couldn't be bothered with.

Charles Boyd has answered a lot of lore questions over the years lately, I have an entire thread with the list :) it would be strange if this is something that they wouldn't want to answer, as it's not that big of a deal. A lot of story-heavy games and MMORPGs pin a date on their stories. I don't see why it would be a problem for the story team of SWTOR to set a date to their story content as well. I am sure they're keeping track of the timeline for their own purposes, it wouldn't hurt to share that timeline with us and make it official.