Arsenal Mixing Arpen & Weapon Expertise

foxmob

so...my arsenal set is really cobbled together. it's mostly arpen except for shells that are required for 6-set that I use for IO (periodic). so the arsenal set is already kinda cheesed.

arpen and weap exp are supposed to be very close, but is mixing them detrimental? I'm assuming swapping out the 2 periodics for weapon expertise is an upgrade, but what about a legendary weapon expertise for a white or green arpen?

If you’re running IO merc, you should stick with Periodic Intensity. The theorycrafting discord has mountains and mountains of discussions on Armor Pen vs. Weapon Expertise/Tech Wizardry, but in general, Armor Pen does you more good in PvE than PvP due to the variety of defenses you’ll encounter. Not saying Armor Pen is bad, especially for specs with mixed damage types.

yeah. this is for arsenel.

I think I presented this wrong in the op. I have full arpen and only a couple expertise. exp is supposedly a little better but is the arpen better with full arpen than mixing-in the exp since there's only a couple?

arsenal already have armor penetration built into the build.. having more or less is your choice.. since you is playing the toon.. if you decide on mixing make sure you have a optimal balance.. basically all what you can say on your topic..

If you’re running IO merc, you should stick with Periodic Intensity. The theorycrafting discord has mountains and mountains of discussions on Armor Pen vs. Weapon Expertise/Tech Wizardry, but in general, Armor Pen does you more good in PvE than PvP due to the variety of defenses you’ll encounter. Not saying Armor Pen is bad, especially for specs with mixed damage types.

Completely agree. In general, armor pen is very negligently better in PvE than weapon expertise, but very negligently worse in PvP.

However, there are some complicating factors you might consider. Since you are an arsenal merc, you already have some armor pen built into the spec. As was said earlier, you could opt to go for a little more armor pen. Also consider who you attacking the most. If you are hitting into tanks and AP pts, you might want to mix some armor pen. On my tank which I take solely into group and solo ranked, I mix armor pen with weapon expertise because double pt is the meta.

With all of this said though, the damage difference is negligible. If you are strapped for cash just take the first gold amp that comes your way.

Edited by septru

ah. yeah. this was what I was looking for.

so mixing them doesn't hurt (like the cumulative effect is straight 1+1 not a multiplier), and whichever is higher rating is better in the moment?