Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

EQN dead, Wildstar dying...swtor?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
EQN dead, Wildstar dying...swtor?

Elly_Dawn
03.12.2016 , 09:18 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Warrgames View Post
ROFL PvP is major part of the health of the game.
indeed, PvP is such a non-thing i didn't even consider it in my reply... it's like wow, there's still PvP, i thought it killed itself off...
if all the great fashion designers have gone over to the Darkside, then i will too...
Jedi Covenant: The Ashtear Legacy:

Elhaym - Shadow / Shinoa - Scoundrel
Dawnaria - Assassin / Adawn - Mercenary / D'jour - Operative

branmakmuffin
03.12.2016 , 09:19 AM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Elly_Dawn View Post
indeed, PvP is such a non-thing i didn't even consider it in my reply... it's like wow, there's still PvP, i thought it killed itself off...
Indeed. PvP is a marketing check-box for this game.

Jerba
03.12.2016 , 09:28 AM | #53
Yeah, yesterday was definitely a sad day for any MMO gamer, even those who don't care about EQN and Wildstar specifically. It is a sign that the market is too saturated IMO, and only when more MMOs have shut down will the market work itself out. For years, WoW has had a monopoly, now there are too many MMOs so hopefully there will be some balance between the two soon.
I have lost the hope that SWTOR will be a major player, it has left the MMO sphere and focuses on single player story, so I'm hoping WoW will stay true to MMOs.
Scoundrel healer. Raid leader. Guild officer @ Tulak Hord

Max_Killjoy
03.12.2016 , 09:31 AM | #54
There will always be those players who believe that if the game doesn't constantly and heavily focus on the health of their little corner of the game, and treat their minority of the playerbase like an overwhelming majority, then the game is doomed to die, sooner rather than later.

branmakmuffin
03.12.2016 , 09:36 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Jerba View Post
Yeah, yesterday was definitely a sad day for any MMO gamer, even those who don't care about EQN and Wildstar specifically. It is a sign that the market is too saturated IMO, and only when more MMOs have shut down will the market work itself out.
If that's true, that's a good thing.

Quote:
I have lost the hope that SWTOR will be a major player, it has left the MMO sphere and focuses on single player story, so I'm hoping WoW will stay true to MMOs.
How many other games out there are "major players?" WoW? I guess that's a given? FFXIV (no idea)? EVE? EVE is a specialized niche game. LotRO? It's kinda on its last legs. ESO? TSW? AOC? Running out of "big name" MMOs that I have heard of at this point. Random Asian MMOs I have never heard of?

Talosred
03.12.2016 , 09:50 AM | #56
Today's gamer is not a gamer, you have to keep that in mind gaming is main stream and that is the issue on why people don't stick to one title.

Basically you only see hardcore fans seeing one movie over and over, the mainstream sees it once and its done for them, that is the same for gaming now.

Which is why TOR has switched to a episode model to push its story along and try to keep the mainstream hooked

The true gamer market died awhile ago.

branmakmuffin
03.12.2016 , 09:52 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Talosred View Post
Today's gamer is not a gamer [...] The true gamer market died awhile ago.
So tell us, what's a "true gamer?"

Jerba
03.12.2016 , 09:56 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
There will always be those players who believe that if the game doesn't constantly and heavily focus on the health of their little corner of the game, and treat their minority of the playerbase like an overwhelming majority, then the game is doomed to die, sooner rather than later.
A developer can easily ignore one niche of the game, the problem is when they ignore every niche. The thing is, there is no majority in an MMO, you have numerous sub-groups of your population, from raiders to PvPers to roleplayers to casuals and so on, and often the groups overlap with some players enjoying different parts. And that's why any dev post will be met with criticism because some players like it, others are against it.

The only way to run an MMO is to support every niche a little bit so that no group is completely angry, just a little annoyed by changes they don't like. And that means adding an operation once in a while, adding a PvP map from time to time, adding a stronghold and whatever QoL features to make sure every group is pleased.

SWTOR decided to only focus on one group, the story players, so the other groups either already quit the game or are staying around, hoping for things to improve.
I'm not saying that WoW is the only way to run an MMO but it works. SWTOR is going an unknown path, so the chances of success are unknown. Personally, I'm thinking building a loyal fanbase is more important than catering to casual players who complain and overwhelm Customer Service for every single problem they face (like the puzzle in Chapter 11), and who will quit as soon as they lose interest in the story.
Scoundrel healer. Raid leader. Guild officer @ Tulak Hord

IanArgent
03.12.2016 , 09:57 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
So tell us, what's a "true gamer?"

He's a Scotsman.

I have seen hobby hipsterism destroy hobbies. If you don't attract casuals, you don't get new customers. If you don't get new customers, you die. On the other hand, you only due if you lose old customers faster than you gain new ones. So, yeah, you want to target casuals rather than veterans if you have to choose (You don't often have to choose)
You want Things? Do some Work. Find me on Star Forge
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
that doesn't mean I want anyone else punished or shunned...we ALL matter.
Referral link - click it, or don't

Max_Killjoy
03.12.2016 , 10:34 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Jerba View Post
A developer can easily ignore one niche of the game, the problem is when they ignore every niche. The thing is, there is no majority in an MMO, you have numerous sub-groups of your population, from raiders to PvPers to roleplayers to casuals and so on, and often the groups overlap with some players enjoying different parts. And that's why any dev post will be met with criticism because some players like it, others are against it.

The only way to run an MMO is to support every niche a little bit so that no group is completely angry, just a little annoyed by changes they don't like. And that means adding an operation once in a while, adding a PvP map from time to time, adding a stronghold and whatever QoL features to make sure every group is pleased.

SWTOR decided to only focus on one group, the story players, so the other groups either already quit the game or are staying around, hoping for things to improve.
I'm not saying that WoW is the only way to run an MMO but it works. SWTOR is going an unknown path, so the chances of success are unknown. Personally, I'm thinking building a loyal fanbase is more important than catering to casual players who complain and overwhelm Customer Service for every single problem they face (like the puzzle in Chapter 11), and who will quit as soon as they lose interest in the story.
I don't disagree with you.

It does need a broad base -- the problem is that certain players can't see beyond their little neighborhood and think that if their little neighborhood has some trouble, then the entire city or state must be in freefall and about to fall apart.