Star Forge Server Lagging all of 5/4/21

septru

How is that possible. I’ve not noticed and issues and shouldn’t the sever be able to deal with full instances in 2021

should is a far cry from can.

ald was unplayable the first week.

tat is a little better this week.

follow the GS heroic planets and you will find significant lag.

that said, it has been higher all around since the patch.

I am 100% certain that it is not on my end or my isp. ergo: BW.

(there are times when I'm pulling down 30mb/s newsgroups and unpacking 80g files. I'm fully aware of times when I'm dong that and it affects game play. that's entirely separate. :D

Of course, because your ISP has a direct connection to BioWare's servers without passing through any other company's intermediate network.

It might *be* BioWare's servers struggling with the load, but you can't support such a conclusion from "my ISP and my connection to my ISP are fine".

Of course, because your ISP has a direct connection to BioWare's servers without passing through any other company's intermediate network.

It might *be* BioWare's servers struggling with the load, but you can't support such a conclusion from "my ISP and my connection to my ISP are fine".

I have a gigabit line. and no trouble with any other connections. you wanna squabble with language about routes or hardware, you do that. connection on my end is fine.

I have a gigabit line. and no trouble with any other connections. you wanna squabble with language about routes or hardware, you do that. connection on my end is fine.

Have you tested the connections in the middle, between your ISP and BioWare's? No? Then you don't know that it's BioWare's fault.

Have you tested the connections in the middle, between your ISP and BioWare's? No? Then you don't know that it's BioWare's fault.

buddy, it happens on GS planets. gen chat is full of the same issues. shoo.

buddy, it happens on GS planets. gen chat is full of the same issues. shoo.

Ironically, I have had no issues all day, and had no issues, other than Heroics not advancing, yesterday. I'm on Star Forge, so if the server was the issue, I'd have been having problems. I've been on a server with issues, every two minutes, someone will move a couple of steps, and chat windows take a couple of minutes to update new posts to them, none of that was going on. Skill activation was on cue, and no mobs suddenly materialized out of nowhere.

I did have a rather fun event with one mob that kept resetting, about 15 feet off the ground, but considering there were 40 other mobs around him, the Sarlaac pit zone, and none of them had any issues, it was just the one mob, which is a far cry from a server wide issue.

I play on a 4G LTE hotspot that supports two connections to the game on two computers. My ping could be a little better, but I have not experienced any of the issues that have been reported here at all any day this week. I have played every day this week and Star Forge is my home server. My little hotspot must have some magic properties if it is able to resolve server issues. That, or the problem is not with the server and instead lies along the connection to the server.

Now, one thing I have noticed, and I fully understand that this is purely anecdotal, is that although my ping is a bit worse than before my connection is much more stable than when I was playing over a 400 MB cable connection. The difference? The path my connection takes. When playing over the cable connection my traffic would travel through Denver and Level 3 Communications servers (or whatever they are called now). When playing over my hotspot my traffic does not go through the L3 server in Denver. Coincidence? Nah, it must be the game server because that is the only explanation some will accept.

** What I mean by more stable. Over the hotspot my ping is generally 80-100 ms and remains fairly stable in that range with only the occasional hiccough. Over the cable connection my ping would often be about 50 ms, but would randomly jump up to the thousands, then go back, then drop out again, then go back, etc. And this would often happen multiple times during a play session. Frankly, I will take the higher ping if it means a more stable connection.

should is a far cry from can.

ald was unplayable the first week.

tat is a little better this week.

follow the GS heroic planets and you will find significant lag.

that said, it has been higher all around since the patch.

(there are times when I'm pulling down 30mb/s newsgroups and unpacking 80g files. I'm fully aware of times when I'm dong that and it affects game play. that's entirely separate. :D

It’s weird because Ive had zero lag issues like you describe and my normal ping is 220ms. So usually if there is server side lag too, it’s exponentially worse than what you guys would be feeling or seeing,

The question remains, have any of you actually tried running ping plotter to see if it shows any problems between you and the server or problems at the server? If you don’t test it, then you are guessing.

If you do the testing you can provide Bioware with data from your end to support your complaint instead of just saying “lag is bad, fix your servers”. Which I can tell you, Bioware ignore 99.99% of the time because they know it’s usually players connection to the server.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

It's funny how some people seem to think there's just one loooong wire between them and the "internets". 🤔

Maybe they should teach "internet routing" in school. It would certainly be more useful than a lot of useless guff they 'teach' these days.

Edited by JediQuaker

It’s weird because Ive had zero lag issues like you describe and my normal ping is 220ms. So usually if there is server side lag too, it’s exponentially worse than what you guys would be feeling or seeing,

The question remains, have any of you actually tried running ping plotter to see if it shows any problems between you and the server or problems at the server? If you don’t test it, then you are guessing.

If you do the testing you can provide Bioware with data from your end to support your complaint instead of just saying “lag is bad, fix your servers”. Which I can tell you, Bioware ignore 99.99% of the time because they know it’s usually players connection to the server.

since, as I maintain, it's a load issue, it's not like that all the time. clearly, there was a huge influx at the time. this was also clear by the complete lack of quest mobs in ow quests. gen chat was alight with lag issues. this doesn't rule out routing issues, but it's more likely than not server/engine fail.

since, as I maintain, it's a load issue, it's not like that all the time. clearly, there was a huge influx at the time. this was also clear by the complete lack of quest mobs in ow quests. gen chat was alight with lag issues. this doesn't rule out routing issues, but it's more likely than not server/engine fail.

Fox, I get what you’re saying, but if you dont bother to test, neither Bioware or anyone is going to take this complaint seriously because “load issue” could also be network congestion on your routing to the server.

I’m not disputing you’ve got a problem or others have, I’m just suggesting you trouble shoot it first from your end and show the results. If what you are saying is true, then it vindicates you and it provides evidence that Bioware can use to hunt down the problem.

Remember what we see on our end, Bioware often don’t see on theirs and if you don’t “show” them examples through testing, they can’t zone in on the issue, I know this first hand from when they merged the servers east. I had sever lag and performance issues, but from Bioware end they said they couldn’t see a problem. I worked with Kieth to provide them with all my test data to show them that it was on their end (network, not server) that was the problem. Within a few weeks they’d reduced the ping from 300ms to 240ms, mostly due to myself and others providing them with the data they needed.

Lastly, Bioware use multiple ISPs and routing paths into their servers. It very possible that what you and some others are seeing is poor routing or congestion at certain times of the day coming into the server on your path. Where as my routing is fine because I’m honestly having no issues like you describe in those areas of the game. The only “lag” or performance issues I’m seeing are in pvp at the moment and that’s mostly desync. If it was wide spread there would be many more people posting about it here and I’d also be experiencing it.

Try using ping plotter and either send the results to Bioware via a PM or post them here so we can see if there is an issue.

Here’s a guide to setting it up

Edit : how to get the data and watch it live.

Download Pingplotter at http://www.pingplotter.com

Install it so you can look at the hops to the server

To find out the server IP (it changes everytime you log in now) you need start swtor and then go back to your Windows desktop.

Now run command prompt in Administrator mode

(Depending on which Windows you have, there are different ways to run it in Administrator mode, so do a quick Google search on how too for your windows version)

Type this command into the command shell after you have opened it.

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

(I usually have the netstat command saved in a txt file for notepad and just copy and paste it into the command prompt)

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP

It usually has an ip like this - 159.153.65.233 or 159.153.65.232

But because it changes each time you login it will be different.. Ie it could be - 159.153.65.220

This is why you have to run this each time if you want to get an accurate read on the server ping.

Once you have that ip, open pingplotter. You can then enter the swtor server ip you are connected to and it will run a live trace

Run ping plotter in the back ground as soon as you start having issues. When you’ve collected 10-30 mins worth of data you’ll have a good indication if there is routing or congestion or if it’s on their end. The only thing I would say is ping plotter isn’t fallible, but it is a good first step to identifying or eliminating possible causes.

Edited by TrixxieTriss