How do i talk to my companion in private?

xnoxiousx

most planets small "cantina's" wont work. you must go to the fleet or a "larger" one. this is true for both sides.

also as previously posted some conversations are dependant on your level and or progress in your class quest as they give "quests" relating to them. it would spoil your class quest line to do certain companion quests before you reach the point in your class quest.

a prime example is one of inq pet khem's final quests which wont make any sense if you havnt completed act one which sets the stage for this.

I got the trouble with my champ that after i hag given her som gifts she won't talk to me anymore.. is it a bug or something? been like gon from like 3200 to 4800 affection without any talking with her at all.. HELP!!

It could be that you've talked to her as much as you can without advancing your class quest more.

My companion won't talk to me in the Coruscant cantina, so I have to take him to the Fleet each time. (Hopefully I'll be getting my ship soon.)

There is another cantina in coruscant that you can go into that will work. Both the cantina where you have a quest about missing soldiers, and the cantina where you have to go in and bring the boss out works. The only cantina that doesn't work is the one in the senate tower market area - we figure it's too small.

I found this post because I was having the same problem, thanks to everybody for posting comments recent. I miss my empire that I built over 3 years in wow, but eventhough I'm starting over on star wars, I feel great with this community. It's so nice that people want to help everyone in Star wars. I hope we can keep it this way.

• 9 years later...
Your companion might not have anything special to say to you yet. The conversations with them are based on how much affection you have with them. once you reach the right point, they'll usually tell you "We need to talk," or something along those lines. Of course, that might come in the middle of a fight and is easy to not hear. If you want to check, just try talking to them anywhere. If they say "We should talk in private," then they're ready to talk. Head to a cantina (I've noticed the cantina outside of the Republic Senate Tower, where the smuggler trainer is, doesn't seem to work for this, for some reason.), or your ship, and you should see a marker appear over your companion, showing them as a quest giver. This just further goes to show you when your companion is ready to have a conversation with you. Each time you visit your ship, I'd suggest doing rounds and visiting each of your companions to see if they've got anything interesting to say.
what do u mean with affection? story progress, influence approves?

what do u mean with affection? story progress, influence approves?

The comment you quoted is from 2011, when things were very different in the game compared to now. Much of what that person said is no longer applicable. If you have a question about companion influence, conversations, etc. it would be best to make a new post rather than resurrect a nine year old thread. The game has change quite a bit over the years and what was true then is not true now.

The comment you quoted is from 2011, when things were very different in the game compared to now. Much of what that person said is no longer applicable. If you have a question about companion influence, conversations, etc. it would be best to make a new post rather than resurrect a nine year old thread. The game has change quite a bit over the years and what was true then is not true now.

When 4.0 came out and changed things, the thread was four years old (2011 to about the same time in 2015). 4.0 is *now* older (five and a half years) than this thread was when 4.0 launched.

Yes, this is an old thread, but I’m sure some new player has this question or similar ones, so briefly:

Original class specific “vanilla” companion conversations are gated behind both influence rank and progress through the original base vanilla class story. You could have your companion at influence rank 50 and still not be able to advance the conversation because you haven’t completed your class story, and similarly you can complete your class story and not be able to advance conversations because your influence rank is too low.

For anyone returning from a very long time ago, influence is the new affection, and 10000 affection translates to influence rank 10 now.

If you skip ahead in the game’s story to Knights of the Fallen Empire (KOTFE) or beyond, you will be permanently locked out of any original class specific vanilla companion conversations. Though certain original class companions come back during the KOTFE story, and even become available to all classes, you will not be able to resume any old conversations with them.

You will want to complete the companion conversations for all of your original companions at least once because they unlock important legacy-wide combat bonuses.

Original class specific “vanilla” companion conversations are gated behind both influence rank and progress through the original base vanilla class story. You could have your companion at influence rank 50 and still not be able to advance the conversation because you haven’t completed your class story, and similarly you can complete your class story and not be able to advance conversations because your influence rank is too low.

Influence is no longer a gate for companion conversations. It is entirely based upon story progression.

From the 4.0 patch notes.

Edited by ceryxp

Um, the OP wanted to know WHERE or how to have a "private conversation" with their companion - no doubt in response to the companion's request. The answer is - in a Cantina, or onboard your spaceship, or in your Stronghold. It has nothing to do with influence, etc. 🙂 Edited by JediQuaker

Um, the OP wanted to know WHERE or how to have a "private conversation" with their companion - no doubt in response to the companion's request. The answer is - in a Cantina, or onboard your spaceship, or in your Stronghold. It has nothing to do with influence, etc. 🙂

At the time, of course, "in your Stronghold" would not have been part of the answer.