The Trooper's romance options...mostly about Wraith...

KoutaHirano

Okay, I'm gonna just gonna throw this out right now.

Half of this is just me venting because...

Well...

I found out in a very NON-SUBTLE way in the game that Wraith is not romancable and I'm now sad

===========

I'm...a little disappointed with the Trooper romance options I've seen so far (level 35 Trooper is how far I've gotten, just started: "Return to Duty").

I think...the only actual 'romance' option (I mean actual romance, and not just a one night stand)

Is Dorne? : |

That's it? The trooper doesn't get any other female companions? Just Dorne? Well...er...no offense...but that's kind of a disappointment, to be honest. :/

Don't get me wrong...Dorne can have her cute moments, I give her that. But...she wouldn't have been my first choice in terms of romance options (and I'm really sorry to say this but...I don't really like her customization options, even though they do fit her personality somewhat).

Sorry to Dorne lovers, but...meh, not really my cup of tea.

^-^a

My first choice would have been Wraith as a romance option, with Jaxo coming in as a REALLY close second.

(Jaxo has a very fun personality and would've been an interesting character to have along for the ride...oh and lets not forget...)

(Bow chicka bow wow)

I can also explain my exact reasoning to fancying Wraith.

(WARNING: This is gonna be a LLLLOOOONNNGGGG post...and I think part of the reason is...)

YOU DO NOT WANT TO CLICK ON THE NEXT SPOILER, UNLESS YOU WANT TO KNOW WRAITH'S FATE!

LAST CHANCE, SERIOUSLY! DO NOT CLICK THE NEXT SPOILER!!! BELIEVE ME, YOU DON'T WANT TO SPOIL IT FOR YOURSELF!

Alright fine then...

Part of the reason this post is long is because I'm kind of sad that my Trooper had no choice but to kill Wraith, even though half of the reason I played through the Trooper story was because I had the strongest desire to find and help Wraith. I was a man on a mission and there was nothing that could've stopped me. So I hope you can understand my annoyance of having no choice but to KILL Wraith...35 levels later.

Wraith...is mysterious.

You can tell all you need to know from the other Havoc squad members:

Tavus: Mustache of Authority, that's all you need to know.

Fuse: He's a demolitions expert with a heart of gold.

Needles: An amoral psychopath who would sooner gut your innards than mend your wounds.

Gearbox: (Okay not so much Gearbox, but know enough about him because he's the first character you interact with...which makes it kind of annoying since...)

You have to kill him later and don't really have a choice, despite my trooper promising that he'd bring them ALL back alive! I should make a troll face image of that:

"Promises to bring back all 5 Havoc squad members"

"Kills 3 of them."

In fact, here it is.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7852/trolltrooper.jpg

But Wraith.

Wraith was mysterious, she was a wild card, she was a closed book, a woman with many secrets that I just wanted to know. It might share the same draw that Tali (Mass Effect) had:

"You don't know what's under her mask, for all you know it could be the ugliest thing you've ever seen, or something so cute it would make your head explode by thinking about it. This act of 'filling in the blanks' done by the player (or me), creates a blank slate of the player's (or my) ideal romance partner which can be worked around Tali. Part of you is curious, this drives you to want to know more about Tali and then slowly finding yourself going: "Awwww" *chooses the romance option*. At some point, you just stop caring what's under the mask and you find yourself liking Tali for being Tali, not what you thought Tali should've been."

Wraith is similar in her mysterious allure, because she only says no more than a few sentences to you. A simple greeting, telling you what your mission is, and that's it. Every other Havoc squad member, you get a few lines of dialogue with, but those lines of dialogue tell you some pretty interesting things about what makes the characters tick and provide some insight into their being. With Wraith...you have to really let your imagination run wild. That can also be a plus for some people.

For example...

"I don't think Wraith is a sociopath. Unlike Needles, who very openly enjoys his job. Wraith seemed to only have one thing in mind for her, just the mission. She never took joy in taking life, she was just following orders. Constantly calculating risks vs rewards. I think...she could've easily ghosted Jaxo's whole team, Jaxo included. But she didn't, why? Because she secretly values life? Or maybe it was because she understood the risks outweighed the reward. If she was discovered or captured, she'd be killed. From the looks of things, she was fiercely loyal to Havoc Squad."

That possibilities of who Wraith could've been are endless.

And....please just allow me a little more hero worship here. Bioware has made me kinda sad today and I could really use a comforting pat on the shoulder.

:(

There were so many missed opportunities, romance wise.

Despite being an assassin she looks so small and frail, even with the armor on. What made her into who she was? Was her innocence completely destroyed or beneath that cold, ruthless, calculating demeanor is there just a scared girl trying to protect herself? How did she join Havoc Squad? Why couldn't you have more than a few lines with her?!

Why couldn't you let me save her Bioware?! Why did you give me the false sense of hope that I can bring Wraith and the rest of Havoc squad back alive, if all I could do was kill most of them in the end?! WHY?! D:>

Didn't even play any sad music or anything. Just. *bam* *dead* *walk away like you don't give a s--t* :(

*emo*

Anyways...I think I'm done ranting for now.

I'm just gonna go sit in the corner for a while or...something...maybe draw some fan art.

Well...

Yes, I know, the romance aspect is just a small part of the game and that there's so much more to the game than just, 'which character you can romance'. Still...I like me's a good romance story (even if it's just a subplot), so...yeah....

Here's hoping future updates will add more companions, more companion appearance packs or further romance options for every class.

To the corner I go!

Edited by KoutaHirano

Well if you want something else to vent on... here's another romance relevant Act 3ish spoiler:

You end up having to choose between saving Jaxo (dark) or saving 300-400 Republic troops (light) from an Imperial Prison. And if you do end up saving her, she supposedly quits SIS and suffers from PTSD.

Ive read most of your post and while it was heading at the right direction, you start talking about Mustache and other males and wow man..

You either off the rails or NO! Trooper romanche is not gay!

The mentioning of the rest of Havoc squad was just pointing out that, you get a glimpse into who the rest of them are. But Wraith, not so much, so it creates this kind of mystery around her that I wanted to know. :/

Though you do bring up an interesting point that I seem to have missed.

Haven't seen many "flirt with the same sex" options. Considering it's Bioware, I was half expecting that. lol

Well if you want something else to vent on... here's another romance relevant Act 3ish spoiler:

You end up having to choose between saving Jaxo (dark) or saving 300-400 Republic troops (light) from an Imperial Prison. And if you do end up saving her, she supposedly quits SIS and suffers from PTSD.

So...the choice is...

Take a huge hit of Dark side points, or remove Jaxo from the game.

Tough choice.

Any other repercussions from saving Jaxo?

nooooooooo that sux.

• 5 months later...

About Act 3 and Jaxo...

if you choose to save the hundreds of troopers she starts sounding very pitiful right before she dies and you feel kind've guilty. But you did the right thing.

IF you save her:

huge companion affection loss

many dark side points

You get chewed out by Garza

Jaxo gives you one letter or holo-call or something and then you NEVER see her again

Edited by KtheN

On the Jaxo thing... It is never said outright, as far as I can recall, but...

1. There are hints that she is actually a deep-cover Imperial mole in SIS, and

2. Jaxo's body is (obviously, under the circumstances) never recovered. So if the deep-cover mole hints are true, she may have been playing you all along, and escaped to a shuttle at the last minute. Reunion in Act 4 or 5, perhaps.

Granted, Dorne is the strait-laced, by-the-book romance, and Jaxo is the anti-establishment sex appeal for the trooper, whose situation is designed to engender huge gnashing of teeth and a massive no-win moral dilemma. Jaxo is a fox, and if she could be taken as a companion I doubt Dorne would get a look in for 95% of male troopers, but she is also ultimately that most alluring of women - the one who is just out of reach.

About Act 3 and Jaxo...

if you choose to save the hundreds of troopers she starts sounding very pitiful right before she dies and you feel kind've guilty. But you did the right thing.

IF you save her:

huge companion affection loss

many dark side points

You get chewed out by Garza

Jaxo gives you one letter or holo-call or something and then you NEVER see her again

Just a side note to this...

If you choose Forex as your Companion during this mission he actually APPROVES of your decision to save Jaxo, i.e. affection point gain to go with your DS points.

• 1 month later...
so this is off topic but iwas having trouble finding anything on this-- i told the old commander that i would bring in all of havoc alive...then i had no choice on taris but to kill needles. no option whatsoever to bring him in...did i just make a subtley wrong choice in the convo with him or something where i got no ls or ds points or any hint saying i would kill him or attack or anything, or is this what always happens? kinda a bummer if it is...

• 3 months later...
so this is off topic but iwas having trouble finding anything on this-- i told the old commander that i would bring in all of havoc alive...then i had no choice on taris but to kill needles. no option whatsoever to bring him in...did i just make a subtley wrong choice in the convo with him or something where i got no ls or ds points or any hint saying i would kill him or attack or anything, or is this what always happens? kinda a bummer if it is...

Nope.

No matter option you take, you kill Needles. Kind of a dick move after you promised to bring them all back alive...

First off...yes, Id go for Wraith, she kinda had that bad girl thing going on with me at end of Act 1 (Im just starting Act 2) 2ndly, Jaxo was kinda just a one night stand, one i sent my companions on crew skill quests before I went too :sul_wink:.... and finally Dorne....yeah, shes on a ship non stop with you....its bound to happen.

• 8 years later...
The mentioning of the rest of Havoc squad was just pointing out that, you get a glimpse into who the rest of them are. But Wraith, not so much, so it creates this kind of mystery around her that I wanted to know. :/

Though you do bring up an interesting point that I seem to have missed.

Haven't seen many "flirt with the same sex" options. Considering it's Bioware, I was half expecting that. lol

I wanted the Wraith romance thing too. She was cool but it never happened.Trooper just gets the bad end in romances until fallen empire.

I wanted the Wraith romance thing too. She was cool but it never happened.Trooper just gets the bad end in romances until fallen empire.

Hmmm, so you necro'd a Wraith?

As I often say; there is basically no outward appearance of having romanced anyone. The most you ever get is a kissing cutscene. Other than that, there's no "moving in" together, or holding hands, or calling each other pet names, etc. So, you can just "head canon" or RP a romance with Wraith and no one will ever know the difference. 🙂