Craftable vs. expansive stims/adrenals

Econometrix

I have read many posts and guides suggesting to take Biochem for PVE. However, the legacy-bound stims and adrenals I possess seem to be better than the stims and adrenals I can craft with Biochem and use at my level (26). For example, the Expansive Versatile Stim appears to be much better than the Prototype Field Tech Versatile Stim. Am I missing something?

I have read many posts and guides suggesting to take Biochem for PVE. However, the legacy-bound stims and adrenals I possess seem to be better than the stims and adrenals I can craft with Biochem and use at my level (26). For example, the Expansive Versatile Stim appears to be much better than the Prototype Field Tech Versatile Stim. Am I missing something?

The main thing you've missed is that those posts and guides are talking mostly about "end-game" == max-level characters. As always, such guides have limited relevance for low-level characters at the best of times. In addition, probably most of them were written before the login rewards started *giving* the Expansive stims, so of course they aren't mentioned.

No, you're not missing anything. These expansive legacy bound stims you get as part of the login reward system are the newest addition to the library of stims and adrenals, and they are better than low level counterparts.

Where the recommendation to "take Biochem for pve" comes from is actually at endgame. At the highest levels of biochem crafting, you can learn versions of stims, medpacks, and adrenals that are infinitely reusable. However, you must be at maximum biochem crafting level to utilize these. Resuable medpacks and adrenals are like having an extra ability, so this becomes very useful in operations (raids) and other forms of endgame pve.

None of those things can be used in Warzones, however, Warzone Adrenals can be bought or crafted(1). That's why people say Biochem is the most useful crafting skill for endgame pve content.

(1) Technically, the schematic for a Warzone Adrenal requires a material that doesn't drop any more, but if you have a stack of the material you can craft them.

Thanks for the replies.

I have some further questions about the reverse engineering of Biochem schematics. I reverse engineered the Prototype Battle Medpac to learn the Advanced Battle Medpac schematic. However, the advanced medpac appears to be worse even though it has a higher rating:

Prototype Battle Medpac

Rating 46

Heals 1804-2241 + 800/15s

Scales up to level 24

Advanced Battle Medpac

Rating 50

Heals 1168-1397 + 318/15s

Scales up to level 10

Curiously the same relationship is not observed for the Prototype and Advanced Bio-Enhanced Medpacs. The former heals for 1593-1947 + 708/15s (scales to 40), while the latter heals for 2677-3201 +728/15s (scales to 24). Any explanation for these differences? Is the Advanced Battle Medpac bugged (or Prototype Battle Medpac bugged in a positive way)?

Also, I do not see explicit level restrictions on any of the crafted medpacs but assume that the scaling has an impact on how much they heal (so that a medpac that scales to level 75 would heal less on a low-level character than one that scales to nearer to the character's level). Is this correct?

Curiously the same relationship is not observed for the Prototype and Advanced Bio-Enhanced Medpacs. The former heals for 1593-1947 + 708/15s (scales to 40), while the latter heals for 2677-3201 +728/15s (scales to 24). Any explanation for these differences? Is the Advanced Battle Medpac bugged (or Prototype Battle Medpac bugged in a positive way)?

Sure does look bugged. Good job for finding that out. Feel free to report it via the Bug Report Forum and the in-game /bug command. I would not expect it to be fixed any time soon because there is literally no point in making these. No one will ever use them ... they are not necessary for leveling, players out level them too fast, plus, as you correctly pointed out in your first post, login reward ones make these obsolete.

Also, I do not see explicit level restrictions on any of the crafted medpacs but assume that the scaling has an impact on how much they heal (so that a medpac that scales to level 75 would heal less on a low-level character than one that scales to nearer to the character's level). Is this correct?

Yes. Similarly, if a level 75 player uses a medpack scaled to a maximum level much lower, it will not heal much of their total health pool.