Loadouts Feedback Thread

JackieKo

• Dev Post

With PTS now live, you can help test Loadouts!

Please answer the following questions:

• Are you experiencing any difficulties or issues with Loadouts?
  • How is the flow of using Loadouts?
  • Please provide any other general feedback you have in detail.

Please note your feedback accordingly so we can track it. Feel free to answer in as much detail as possible to help us understand your thought process and line of thinking.

Thank you!

Edited by JackieKo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some difficulty with the loadouts as the 2nd implant and the 2nd relic are not currently swapping. The flow of the load outs is a bit confusing at first as the UI is very different from what players would be use to seeing; but after a little toying, it was easy enough to figure out. I would say the option to save one particular load out over another load out did cause some confusion when trying to find how to swap between the different load outs. The message that states you have changed your discipline too recently provides further confusion related to how to swap between the loadouts as it prevents swapping. Currently it is necessary to swap to another tab and then back to the loadouts and the loadouts will become active again to swap between. If there is a timeframe that must past before swapping between loadouts it would be good to clearly define those limitations. The main issue is the functionality of the load outs currently not swapping out every piece of gear. Edited by fjlanders

Observations:

*Have to complete chapter3 of class story before you can unlock 2nd combat style. Work around is to use PTS droid to advance to lvl 80 then pick up a Kotfe chapter to skip past your original story.

*Did not find a way to keybind loadouts or combat styles.

*Every time you switch between styles it sets the middle spec as the default choice. So if you want another you have to select it.

*Switching between styles resets the locations of your abilities on the toolbar.

*Switching between styles does not reequip your weapon.

*Pressing "I" twice does not close inventory.

*Inconsistency-Ability tree tab reads top of the page down where low lvl abilities are at top of page. Ability list tab reads bottom of the page up where low lvl abilities are at bottom of page.

*MAJOR OVERSIGHT- cannot switch loadouts out in the world. Can only switch in safe zones like cantinas. This is a giant mistake. Being able to fluidly switch loadouts is a key selling point. If you are exploring out in the world and want to change your plan of attack, you have to go back to a cantina to switch loadout then travel all the way back to where you just was to engage a target, really? Cmon, man! That is terrible!

So far my impressions are that it's better than the last iteration but still needs work, particularly keybinds and an option to remember your spec. Right now it's cumbersome to open the window then select other style then discipline then equipment then you have to reorganize your toolbar to just how you like it. You spend far too much time behind in game windows.

Ok, I'm messing around with the loadouts and combat styles and to be honest I don't see the real advantage to them at the moment. Yeah, sure, being able to play a scrapper as a bounty hunter sounds cool in theory but in the past ten years I've made so many scrappers as a smuggler that there is no appeal. The shiny wears off quick.

Secondly, unless I missed it entirely in the settings somewhere, I can't switch combat styles with a button's click as advertised. If the intent is to have the 2nd combat style readily available then ease of action should be made apparent. If i have to reselect my spec, reequip my weapon, and redo my toolbar EVERY SINGLE TIME then this system is absolutely pointless. I can log in and out of three alts in the time it takes to change completely from one combat style to another.

Finally, it's been said you can't switch combat styles while in an instance, Well, unless you're out just about exploring the world, fine no problem, however the rest of the game involves instances. I'm still just trying to understand it correctly. What is the point of being able to switch styles when it's so limiting?

Edit: Okay, I managed to get the loadouts to save ability locations on the toolbar when switching styles however I found that different UI and keybinds do not save. Only your current ui and keybinds saves. Some styles have more abilities, need more toolbar space, and require a different ui/keybind setup.

Edited by TonyTricicolo

I'm concerned about loadouts in ranked, I assume we're not going to be able to switch them at the beginning of the game (this would obviously break the entire ranked system if people could change specs or classes within a match), but is there any separation for classes on one character?

for example, let's say someone is going for Top 3 Powertech. That player has the Powertech and Mercenary classes as combat style options on that 1 character. That player, in this current system, could just q Mercenary or Powertech depending on the queue and switch between them between games.

My question is, how would this work for the leaderboard? The leaderboard has always been divided into the classes, so someone switching between classes would mess that up.

If there isn't already a system in place to fix that, I would recommend having a separate rating for the 2 classes on each character. So in the example above the player could be 1500 rating Powertech and 1300 rating Mercenary at the same time, and the window to queue would show both as separate, same with the leaderboard

Loadouts are a bit difficult to test with the focus on low level characters, I don't have much to play with yet.

The one issue I have found is that you cannot link UI Layouts to profiles. I have different layout for healing and tanking/DPS and it would be nice to link those.

Loadouts are a bit difficult to test with the focus on low level characters, I don't have much to play with yet.

The one issue I have found is that you cannot link UI Layouts to profiles. I have different layout for healing and tanking/DPS and it would be nice to link those.

This 100 %, I also agree that at this point in time it is quite difficult to test out loadouts due to the focus on the levelling up experience currently. However, this will of course naturally change over the PTS cycle as we gain levels. Now I do have some thoughts on the UI for loadouts, I personally find it a bit confusing and convoluted to use in it's current state I accidentally saved my first loadout twice and the game currently won't allow me to save a new loadout to the second slot which is a bit annoying since subs will only have access to a few loadouts before having to buy more once it gets pushed live. Have I understood correctly that loadouts also save different outfits if you choose to equip those?

I do also agree with a previous point of feedback here, loadouts are part of a fundamental system change to the overall game and how it can be played and it is a great addition to the overall function of combat styles in concept, but it will remain that way if it is not explained how to utilise it properly within the game itself, a tutorial is necessary here. In the future Loadouts and Combat Styles provides a lot of opportunity for the developers and players to iterate on how we engage with classes so not having a tutorial on how it works is a bit weird at this stage. Maybe it is already implemented and I just have not seen it yet.

Edited by SanktePer
Grammatical mistakes.

Observations:

*Have to complete chapter3 of class story before you can unlock 2nd combat style. Work around is to use PTS droid to advance to lvl 80 then pick up a Kotfe chapter to skip past your original story.

*Every time you switch between styles it sets the middle spec as the default choice. So if you want another you have to select it.

*Switching between styles resets the locations of your abilities on the toolbar.

So far my impressions are that it's better than the last iteration but still needs work, particularly keybinds and an option to remember your spec. Right now it's cumbersome to open the window then select other style then discipline then equipment then you have to reorganize your toolbar to just how you like it. You spend far too much time behind in game windows.

Ok, I'm messing around with the loadouts and combat styles and to be honest I don't see the real advantage to them at the moment. Yeah, sure, being able to play a scrapper as a bounty hunter sounds cool in theory but in the past ten years I've made so many scrappers as a smuggler that there is no appeal. The shiny wears off quick.

Secondly, unless I missed it entirely in the settings somewhere, I can't switch combat styles with a button's click as advertised. If the intent is to have the 2nd combat style readily available then ease of action should be made apparent. If i have to reselect my spec, reequip my weapon, and redo my toolbar EVERY SINGLE TIME then this system is absolutely pointless. I can log in and out of three alts in the time it takes to change completely from one combat style to another.

Finally, it's been said you can't switch combat styles while in an instance, Well, unless you're out just about exploring the world, fine no problem, however the rest of the game involves instances. I'm still just trying to understand it correctly. What is the point of being able to switch styles when it's so limiting?

For your last point it might actually be due to PVP, I would assume the developers do not want players to be able to switch loadouts mid match easily and PVP is an instanced activity so either it is a bug (as in a potential lockout for switching is only supposed to be for PVP games but is currently affecting PVE content as well) or it is an intended lockout, if it is indeed the latter I STRONGLY suggest that the developers reconsider since the point of loadouts was ease of switching between a combat style and a variety of profiles, this will be WAY more relevant in the future if the intent of separating classes and story is, as was pointed out in a dev interview, in order to offer some more variety and an opportunity to finally create new classes using the origin stories already present in the game.

Thank you for pointing out the droid by the way! I will create another character in order to try out loadouts and endgame more thoroughly within the next few weeks.

Agreed. This would be more sensible to have tested later on character copies, rather than us all having to level up from one to be able to test them.

I'm really a bit suspicious of the "testing from level 1". I hate to be a negative nelly however the feedback/opinions from people that 7.0 focus is primarily on new to swtor players who will all start from scratch seems justified at this point. Maybe an idea to have a sort of PTS road map so we can see what you want to test and when to allay these concerns?

Also, the character sheet (where loadouts etc menus are) characters have an "always on" stance. Can there be a toggle or something so our characters show in this without there weapon constantly in action? The whole character interface has been improved except this which is a shame. Here's a pic of what I mean.

Edited by Sarova

Observations:

*Inconsistency-Ability tree tab reads top of the page down where low lvl abilities are at top of page. Ability list tab reads bottom of the page up where low lvl abilities are at bottom of page.

So far my impressions are that it's better than the last iteration but still needs work...

Yea many won't like Loadout's, if they don't save different ability placement on the powerbar. Different Combat Styles change the order or preferences, and many won't want them in the same place. Also need to ensure the current Loadout is the (default) or selected Loadout; as well as swapping weapon or other gear like Implants, etc...

Agreed. This would be more sensible to have tested later on character copies, rather than us all having to level up from one to be able to test them.

I'm really a bit suspicious of the "testing from level 1"...

Created a Level 1 toon, then when you approach the first TAXI instead of doing your Low Level Missions, abandom them and instead find the DROID next to the Taxi. That's where the DROID offers you a transport to the Fleet!

Once their you can go to the Combat Area, and find another Droid who gives you a million credit, offers a level-up to 80, along with all abilities. There are NPC's beside him that offer 306 GEAR at 306, that except Consular: Sage / Shadow for some reason. Still then go to the Supplies area where you'd get Tactical or Gear, there will be a 318 Vendor to get all Green Gear!

One thing that seemed ODD, was 306 Implants had higher buff's than 318 Green ones. Which is kind of SILLY cause, it's better to wear 306 than some 318, yet you'll want to higher Item Level to earn better gear! :rolleyes::o

Edited by Strathkin

Still for many who have maxed Reputations, all Character's don't require doing all Class Planets, or even later ones like Ilum, Makeb, Rishi, etc...

At the first planet, rather than take Taxi just find the Droid beside him and go to Fleet. Then level up in Combat Area with another Droid to 80, then proceed to Supplies to get 318 Gear! Can then just Start Chapter 1, then go thru Chapter 3. It will result in some default choices, yet if this is just TEST it won't matter...

There is also a transport Droid to Onderon at Fleet. You can then use Fleet Pass to Travel back.

Edited by Strathkin

• Tried to use swapping between Disciplines on a level 1 character and the red text that told me when i could use it popped up once but then it never popped up again so I could not easily re-read it. I went to a cantina /rest area (Nemro's cantina) and still couldn't swap disciplines. I don't know what a sanctuary is. Needs more indicator of when you can start using it and where for new players.
  • I wanted to swap between two Disciplines of the same Combat Styles - Medicine and Concealment. I had read that "ability positions on the quickbar" would be saved. They were not when I switched between Medicine and Concealment. (two different disciplines of the same combat style). I was surprised and confused. The loadouts DID seem to save ability placement between Combat Styles though, ex Operative to Arsenal.
  • I also had a similar problem when I was trying to switch between two loadouts of the exact same discipline, but with different ability placement. they didnt seem to be saved. (see vid below)
  • As other mentioned, dunno if its possible but would love to tie Keybind Profile & UI to Loadout. If it's not possible it's fine cus I know they are saved on my computer.
  • Some funky stuff worked half-way when switching between loadouts with items in my legacy bank while legacy bank was open. I'd read another played tested this and it worked. However I set up one loadout with equipment of only three pieces (chest, legs, boots) and the second loadout with a full set and when swapping between them it only transferred and equipped halfish. It worked great w/ sets in my inventory tho!!!
  • Really like on the loadouts page it shows the icons of the "choices" you have made in your tree. That's very visual and very helpful.
  • I felt a little confused at starting a new loadout versus over-riding an existing one. I didn't realize at first that it just auto-saves whatever you are doing to your current loadout (example, change something on your tree, it auto-saves to your currently selected loadout). It was a nice surprise when I figured it out.

live video of me confused about inter-discipline abilities not saving: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1228621649?t=01h06m09s

recorded video of me looking into the new sheets:

(start 4:00)

If the lil bugs people are pointing out get fixed especially ability positions between disciplines get fixed I'm going to be excited for loadouts. If you can also make gear from legacy bank and saved User Interface/Keybinds working I will be very, very excited.

With PTS now live, you can help test Loadouts!

Please answer the following questions:

• Are you experiencing any difficulties or issues with Loadouts?
  • How is the flow of using Loadouts?
  • Please provide any other general feedback you have in detail.

Please note your feedback accordingly so we can track it. Feel free to answer in as much detail as possible to help us understand your thought process and line of thinking.

Thank you!

I've got two different bits of feedback.

First, on loadout functionality itself: this is NOT functional.

I made an inquisitor-sorcerer, took the droid to fleet, and skipped to 80 specifically to check loadout switching. Gear swapping is mostly okay, with the exception of the 2nd relic and implant as others have noted. What is not switching appropriately are abilities. I made loadouts for Lightning and Corruption.

• For shared abilities located on different binds between the specs (Ex. Resurgence is Q for Corruption and Shift+R if I'm DPS), they did not move appropriately when I changed loadouts. They remained in position for the previous loadout
  • Discipline-unique abilities either duplicated themselves into both the ability they replaced and a second empty slot on my quickbars (lightning bolt), or failed to appear at all (thundering blast)
  • After a few flips back and forth between these two loadouts, my bars were a jumbled combination of abilities

This needs substantial work. If I had to guess, the problem might have something to do with the "live-updating" nature of loadouts, since there's no "confirm changes" button. The system assumes all changes are intended.

Second: from the Level-1 new character, no legacy perspective. Characters are being defaulted into a discipline into which they have no input. For sorcerers, it is Lightning. (Likewise for Sages it's TK). For assassins, it's Deception. The only place it appears this can be changed is fleet, though there's no signposting or tutorial explaining that. There's also no way to inspect the other disciplines unless you switch to them which... again... can only be done from fleet.

Created a Level 1 toon, then when you approach the first TAXI instead of doing your Low Level Missions, abandom them and instead find the DROID next to the Taxi. That's where the DROID offers you a transport to the Fleet!

Once their you can go to the Combat Area, and find another Droid who gives you a million credit, offers a level-up to 80, along with all abilities. There are NPC's beside him that offer 306 GEAR at 306, that except Consular: Sage / Shadow for some reason. Still then go to the Supplies area where you'd get Tactical or Gear, there will be a 318 Vendor to get all Green Gear!

None of us could find the fleet droid on Ord Mantell; we all concluded it had been removed to allow people to test from level 1 as intended or had been missed. The fleet droid is available on Korriban so that's what I used instead on another character. Levelled to 80 on the fleet, then sent that character on one of the Odessen FPs (I chose Umbara) then immediately exited out to Odessan. The credit terminal is right there (the one that gives 10mil, tech frags, etc each click instead of 1mil). Sent them too my tester character along with the high level companion gifts - I really wanted credits to unlock inventory space. I'm too used to my live game perks!!

I created a Warrior-Assassin, went to fleet to boost to 80 and then tested the loadouts.

right now, that feature is not functional at all, some general thoughts:

Loadouts shouldn't be available to level 1 characters (only confusing).

They should unlock when you choose the discipline of your fist combat style for the first time.

Switching/loadouts on Korriban (maybe other planets?) didn't work.

Switching loadouts on fleet kinda worked but the slotted abilities went crazy on the 2 main ability bars, but the equipped/asigned stuff (tacticals, gear..) switched correctly.

The currently active loadout seems to be sensible to change - aka if you switch a piece of gear, that loadout will automatically change without asking something like: hey you are about to change that loadout, continue?

From what I could tell, you CAN save ability placements when switching disciplines. However, this must be done by making a loadout for discipline #1, e.g. Concealment Operative, and another loadout for discipline #2, e.g. Medicine Operative. Switching between loadouts properly saves the positions of abilities, but switching between disciplines within a single loadout does not save the positions. This makes sense, but a brief tutorial/explanation will save players a lot of frustration when encountering loadout/discipline swaps for the first time in this update.

To further prevent players from losing the position of their abilities, perhaps the game could ask players to confirm changing disciplines when the player already has multiple loadouts. If I want my character to change from Concealment to Medicine, and I have one loadout for each, then this confirmation window would stop me from switching my Concealment loadout into a second Medicine loadout.

From what I could tell, you CAN save ability placements when switching disciplines. However, this must be done by making a loadout for discipline #1, e.g. Concealment Operative, and another loadout for discipline #2, e.g. Medicine Operative. Switching between loadouts properly saves the positions of abilities, but switching between disciplines within a single loadout does not save the positions. This makes sense, but a brief tutorial/explanation will save players a lot of frustration when encountering loadout/discipline swaps for the first time in this update.

To further prevent players from losing the position of their abilities, perhaps the game could ask players to confirm changing disciplines when the player already has multiple loadouts. If I want my character to change from Concealment to Medicine, and I have one loadout for each, then this confirmation window would stop me from switching my Concealment loadout into a second Medicine loadout.

Right, I've discovered the same things. I agree this stumbling around until you figure it out mess we have could be rectified by a tutorial. However, in keeping with the theme of ease of access of switching loadouts I'd opt out of having a confirmation window because it's another step in the already too long of a process of switching loadouts. Instead, I'd go for a more advanced save option where you select which ui and keybind layouts you want for each loadout. A toggle option or a dropdown list could work. I rather have the loadouts be more detailed and take longer to set up but easier and faster to execute.

Edited by TonyTricicolo

So I like the idea of Loadouts. On the surface the idea that I can PUG or group up, switch my loadout to compliment the team, and go into the operation is a great idea.

Except the whole idea that to do it, I need to run back to a cantina or my sanctuary to do it. If I'm on a planet doing conquests, and pug up with someone else doing conquest, I'd be holding up the team to transfer to my sanctuary. Switch loadouts, transfer back to the planet, run back to the team. It defeats the whole purpose of loadouts.

It kind of also defeats the purpose of loadouts is I'm soloing an Operation, get to a spot where a different loadout would work better. Say an epic boss where I'm went in as DPS to get rid of all the trash mobs quickly, but now that I'm at the boss, a tank load out would be better to fight them. Or went in as melee, and now ranged would work better against that boss.

That's the purpose behind loadouts, and currently being so restricted, they're useless. I mean that, useless. Right now they are a great Roleplaying tool, and that's about it. Since you killed RP in SWTOR during the server merge on most servers, there isn't much use then for loadouts.

As to how to use them... it took me forever to figure it out. It looks like a computer developer made them, and said "they're figure it out.". It's hard enough to test with the focus on character creation and early leveling, but once you can... they're not the most intuitive system out there.

At the very least a tutorial mission. For the love of Valkorian, you made a tutorial for housing... housing... and that's so much easier then this.

Edit: As others have mentioned, PvP is probably the restriction for swapping loadouts on the fly. Understandable. So here's a simple way to fix it. The moment you are flagged for PvP you can't swap loadouts. Once the PvP flag goes away, you can swap again.

Edited by Lady_Myajha

help! could someone enlighten me how to make and switch loadouts "properly"?

for me it only works if shared abilities are on the same spot otherwise my ability bars are cluttered with duplicated abilities while others are missing...

tbh it shouldn't be hard, so yeah, make a tutorial please.

another thing:

Right now it seems you can rename and duplicate loadouts... but not delete a loadout- please add that option

yet another thing:

has anyone tested (and successfully) switched loadouts where one is say telekinetic sage and the other serenity shadow? is that even possible?

Great system, definitely see the potential for it to be a great user experience. I've been able to successfully set up loadouts, swap between different loadouts both on the same spec and different spec and update, copy, rename loadouts.

Saving loadouts:

-It works, the auto save is not bad but sometimes it can be confusing or cause you to save things you didn't mean to (i.e. playing around with things)

-the copy feature seems to be working well

-To update an existing loadout with new gear (higher irating) you need to make sure the old gear of that loadout isn't in your inventory, swap to that loadout, remove and equip a piece of gear (i.e. change one) and then the auto save will update the gear. It's not a bad system but does take a bit to learn that's how it works.

-Selling gear to a vendor (I assume also destroying it) will remove the gear from the loadout profile, meaning it will unequip those slots of any gear when swapping, this can be really annoying... but if you buy the gear back from the vendor the slot will repopulate with that gear. I'd much prefer if selling gear didn't make that slot empty on your loadouts (as nothing happens if you swap loadouts without having the gear).

-I dislike that we can't assign keybindings or UI profiles to loadouts

Swapping loadouts:

-I can freely swap loadouts of the same discipline when inside a flashpoint, this is good

-I cannot swap loadouts to different discipline when in a flashpoint, this is intended

-There are multiple duplicate abilities (due to the ability tree I think???) that create errors when swapping between loadouts if the ability overlaps with a specific ability in a different loadout that "shares" with it.... I had to rearrange multiple abilitie positions on my bar so that swapping loadouts didn't cause it to give me the wrong ability

-Sometimes I get a random/extra ability added when swapping loadouts

-2nd relic and implant doesn't swap with loadouts, this can really screw up relics and implants on multiple loadouts as a result

-UI doesn't update on the "combat style" page when swapping loadouts, the ability tree only updates after closing the window completely, but the discipline doesn't ever change

-If I swap loadouts without having the gear in my inventory, it simply doesn't change the gear, this is good

-If I swap loadouts where it has slots without gear, it unequips that gear, this is fine but I don't like where it puts it in the inventory by default.

-I don't know how to recreate it but there is a bug where you can sometimes have your legacy bay open and put gear in there and swap loadouts to have it pull gear from your legacy... it's not common though.

-Seems quite a few players are upset that you cant save each loadout on your quickbars or a hotkey.

-I haven't been able to test a 2nd combat style yet, the "glitch" didn't work for me (I got the mission and the cutscene but it didn't actually give me a 2nd combat style)

-Kind of a minor point, but annoying you can't delete loadouts if you just like to keep a minimalist list

Edited by klizilii

I made an inquisitor-sorcerer, took the droid to fleet, and skipped to 80 specifically to check loadout switching. Gear swapping is mostly okay, with the exception of the 2nd relic and implant as others have noted. What is not switching appropriately are abilities. I made loadouts for Lightning and Corruption.

• For shared abilities located on different binds between the specs (Ex. Resurgence is Q for Corruption and Shift+R if I'm DPS), they did not move appropriately when I changed loadouts. They remained in position for the previous loadout (or duplicated themselves into both quickbar slots)
  • Discipline-unique abilities either duplicated themselves into both the ability they replaced and a second empty slot on my quickbars (ex. lightning bolt), or failed to appear at all (thundering blast)

After a few flips back and forth between these two loadouts, my bars were a jumbled combination of abilities

Update: All of this is still true, but I have found a workaround after copying my sorc from live yesterday. I can use a saved loadout in my second combat style as a "transition" loadout. Instead of switching directly between loadouts for corruption and lightning (or madness) sorcerer, I can start in Corruption Sorc, switch to the saved loadout for Darkness Assassin, and then switch to the loadout for Lightning Sorc. Since the entire ability set is cleared completely between combat styles, I don't experience the duplication events mentioned in my previous post.

The second relic and implant still don't swap appropriately, however.

Edited by Crystal_Mind
missing information

Now that I've had the chance to test a 2nd combat style with loadouts, you really need to fix how weapons are swapped. I don't know why my weapons/offhand are being put in such a bizarre place in my inventory instead of swapping location with the items replacing them.

Without having done any extensive test, I didn't notice any real problems I haven't mentioned before about loadouts.

The other thought that came to mind with how easily you could make a mistake with gear is there should be a setting that "locks" all the gear in your inventory that is part of a loadout so you don't accidentally sell it, trash it, etc. Just a simple toggle that every time you open your inventory window you have to uncheck before that gear can have anything happen to it.

Edited by klizilii

some more things I noticed when switching loadouts:

(I was able to finally make working loadouts: 1. infiltration shadow, 2. serenity shadow, 3. telekinetic sage)

• when switching from 1 or 2 to 3 or back from 3 to 1 or 2 I lose at least half my heatlh if not more (switching between 1 and 2 doesn't change my health)
  • when switching to serenity shadow (no matter if from 1 or 3) the ability force in balance is on cooldown as if just used

Edited by Dekibra