[Suggestion] Add another Blaster Pistol with the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" model

ZeroPlus

EDIT - 17 December 2013

IT LIVES!

The "R-30017 Aikion Blaster" is now available on the Cartel Market as of today (17/12/2013). The cost is 400 Cartel Coins.

It uses the exact same model as the "A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler" but with a darker colour scheme. In terms of sound, it uses the same sound as the Black Nebula Heavy Blaster. (Go

for a look and sound video published by Dulfy.)

My Gunslinger is dual-wielding the R-30017 as I type :).

Guess I can finally remove the link from my signature (after a year and 8 months (I started this thread on March 24th, 2012) it can finally be retired :)).

Thank you again Bioware.

(I'll leave the below post as is... for posterity :).)

PREAMBLE

The A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler is an iconic looking Blaster Pistol that is very reminiscent of the Colt 1851 Navy Revolver.

The model used by the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler is used for only 2 moddable pistols, and only one of those can be used by players.

The only way to acquire the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler is as a Smuggler quest reward for completing Chapter 1 of the Smuggler class story, and even then only if certain choices were made during the final dialog options of Chapter 1.

PROBLEM

The way the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler is acquired raises some problems:

1) Since there is no way to currently preview weapons in-game, many Smugglers did not choose the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler as the quest reward (even when it was presented to them) because they had no way of knowing what the weapon looked like.([EDIT] Weapons preview was added in Game Update 1.5: HK-51 Activated.)

2) Many Smugglers were not even offered the choice of the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler as a quest reward if they were role-playing their Smuggler as Dark Side. (As an aside, the completion of Chapter 1 always offers a class specific weapon as a quest reward however, (and I may be wrong), I believe the Smuggler is the only class that is subject to this possibility of loosing out on a specific weapon model based on dialog choices.)

3) Smuggler Gunslingers who did choose the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler as the quest reward are unable to acquire a second pistol that uses the same model so that they can dual-wield pistols with the same look. (As an aside: Smuggler Gunslingers that role play Dark Side, are offered a different pistol, that uses a completely different model. That model is not unique in the game, so it is possible for those Smuggler Gunslingers to acquire another pistol with the same model in case they wish to dual-wield the pistol they received for completing Chapter 1.)

SUGGESTIONS FOR SOLUTION

I respecfully request that Bioware add another Blaster Pistol that uses the same model as the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler to the game.

If I may, I would like to suggest some ways in how this could be done.

1. As a [Heroic 4] Quest Reward

For example, there is a [Heroic 4] quest on Balmorra called "Hit 'em Where They Live". On completion, this quest offers class specific weapons as a quest reward choice. The A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler could be added to the list of quest rewards for Smugglers. (NOTE: The quest in question is offered as a suggestion. There may be better options available.)

In my opinion, this would be the ideal solution because:

a) It would involve minimal development time. No new assets would have to be created/added to the game. The A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler would just need to be added to the quest reward list as an option for Smugglers. (I am aware that the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler would have a lower rating than the other quest rewards, but I doubt that any player would mind that fact considering that this would be the only other way to acquire it.)

b) It would allow Smugglers who did not acquire the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler at the end of Chapter 1 (see above for possible reasons) another chance at acquiring it.

c) It would allow Smuggler Gunslingers to finally acquire a second A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler that they could then pair with the one they already own. (Or, if they did not have one already, it would allow them to acquire a pair over a 2 day period.)

2. As an additional reward for completing Chapter 1

On completion of Chapter 1, if the player made the right choices to be awarded the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler *and* if the character was a Gunslinger, the player would be offered the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler twice: one as a "Provided Reward" (for being a Gunslinger) and one as an "Optional Reward".

In my opinion this option, while interesting, is not as ideal as the 1st suggestion because:

a) There is still the possibility of loosing out on the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler for the reasons stated above.

b) It would potentially involve more development time. The game would have to check the character's Advanced Class to ensure it was a Gunslinger. Code would have to be put in place to grant eligible players a second A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler in case they had already completed Chapter 1.

3. As an Armstech schematic

A new Armstech schematic for the creation of a "Ranged Main Hand, Ranged Off Hand" Blaster Pistol that uses the model of the A-300 Heavy Sonic Needler would be added to the game.

In my opinion, while this option would be interesting in terms of adding something that crafters could look forward to making and selling, it would not be ideal because:

a) There would have to be additional development time involved. The asset would have to be created and added to the game. A name would have to be decided for the item. The mode of acquisition of the schematic would have to be decided and implemented. Etc...

b) The resulting item would no longer be specific to Smugglers. I would imagine that many players would view this possibility in a less than pleasant light.

Thank you for taking the time to read this suggestion.

Edited by ZeroPlus

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do love the A-300 heavy Sonic Needler, the model is unique and brings character to the blaster, I'd love to see it as an Armsmech schematic so that it could be used by other classes. The first time I held the weapon my jaw dropped that I was holding a revolver... until I deleted my Scoundrel due to a few reasons (including the lie that Scoundrel Heals are similar to WoW Druid Heals) I never discarded, nor ever even THOUGHT of replacing that blaster for the entire time I had it.

I don't mind if they make it a republic only weapon... but please, don't let the model go to waste... /sign

I do love the A-300 heavy Sonic Needler, the model is unique and brings character to the blaster, I'd love to see it as an Armsmech schematic so that it could be used by other classes. The first time I held the weapon my jaw dropped that I was holding a revolver... until I deleted my Scoundrel due to a few reasons (including the lie that Scoundrel Heals are similar to WoW Druid Heals) I never discarded, nor ever even THOUGHT of replacing that blaster for the entire time I had it.

I don't mind if they make it a republic only weapon... but please, don't let the model go to waste... /sign

Yep. Having the weapon model be available as a Armstech schematic would have its advantages. I just think that it would involve too much work and the idea would fall by the way side in favor of other priorities. Which I tried to come up with suggestion that would be easier to implement (hopefully :)).

Thinking about the Armstech schematic possibility and the way they can be acquired now in 1.2 from Reverse Engineering "orange" items, it actually would be best if there was a repeatable quest that awarded the A-300 (one of my suggestions above).

Not only would it allow any Smuggler to acquire the A-300, but it would also allow Smugglers with Armstech a way to acquire the A-300 and RE it repeatedly until they got the schematic (naturally, the A-300 would have to be RE'able). That would not only allow them to make it but if they crit it to sell it with an Augment slot.

The best of both worlds! :)

Now if only this becomes a reality. :)

Having the availability of the A300 limited to 1 per customer, really favors the Scoundrels classes. If anything it should be the other way around - as in, make it available as dual wield with option to only use 1.

It is by far the coolest Smuggler gun in the game.

my gunslinger is called jon shannow, and i would love for another one of these babys, fits so well into his lore and i have looked high and low and the sonic is the only gun close to what he uses.

You're right! The dual A-300s would fit his lore perfectly.

Mine too! I'm a leather jacket wearing bad-*** smuggler who needs to protect himself in this lawless universe where Republic and Empire are at each others throat. What better way to do it than using 2 big bad-*** revolver-like blasters? :)

Good Suggestion. I love my A-300, but it's currently not in my main hand because I can't get an augment into it.

Apparently Bioware is going to implement a way for players to add an augment slot to any piece of equipment (no idea on the ETA). We might finally have a use for all those Modifications Stations. :)

bump! amazing pistol model.....must have on my powertech =(

Well, if Bioware ever decides to add another pistol that uses the A-300 model and decides to do it by implementing a new schematic that uses this model you will have your wish! :)

Ask your friends to add their voice to the suggestion. Who knows, it might make a difference... ;)

Very good suggestion, as a sharpshooter I also want the option to get a second A-300 cause it looks great to have matching blasters. I would go for [Heroic 4] Quest Reward option :D

To the OP, out of curiosity, did you read any of the rest of the TORhead page you linked?

According to that, the weapon (which I've been meaning to look for too) is a possible reward from the Heroic 4 daily "The Mandalorian Terror" on Republic Balmorra.

Mind you, that still doesn't answer the problem of getting a schematic for it so we can get an augment slot. :(

To the OP, out of curiosity, did you read any of the rest of the TORhead page you linked?

According to that, the weapon (which I've been meaning to look for too) is a possible reward from the Heroic 4 daily "The Mandalorian Terror" on Republic Balmorra.

Mind you, that still doesn't answer the problem of getting a schematic for it so we can get an augment slot. :(

Believe me, I've researched this extensively. :)

To answer your question, not only did I read them, but I've done "The Mandalorian Terror" and it only rewards a class-specific moddable helmet.

As stated the A-300 is, at this time, only available to Smugglers when they complete Chapter 1 and even then only if they make the right choices to get it.

The "only if they make the right choices" part above is also part of the problem of this model being so rare even among Smugglers.

At the end of Chapter 1, all classes are given a weapon as a possible quest reward (Bounty Hunters=S-110 Particle Beam Interceptor, Vanguards=A-11 Scout Disruptor, Commandos=R-110 Pulse-Wave Saboteur, Operatives=Renegade Interceptor, Snipers=R-55 Searing Disruptor, etc, etc, etc...).

However, the Smuggler is the only class (as far as I know) that can actually lose out on having the A-300 presented as a reward depending on the conversation choices they make during the final stages of Chapter 1. There are Smugglers out there that don't have the A-300, not because they didn't choose it but because they were never even given the choice of having it. (Note: If Smugglers made the wrong choices they get the choice of the Torchy DL-2 Modified Blaster instead. The Torchy DL-2 is not a unique model and Smugglers that got it instead can acquire a similar pistol from a flash point.)

I admit that I have a vested interest in acquiring another pistol that uses the same model because a) I love the look and b) I have a Gunslinger and would love to dual-wield the A-300.

On the other hand, this suggestion also stems from the fact that:

a) many Smugglers would love to have this pistol but never had the chance to have it and they would also benefit from having the pistol model available in some other way.

b) this model is just too great to be so limited in availability.

c) browsing the forums, many Bounty Hunters would also love to use Blaster Pistols with this model (so having this model added as a new schematic would benefit both factions).

Sorry for the long post.

(Can you tell I'm passionate about this? ;))

Fair enough, and I realize TORhead is still working on catching up and being accurate with it's info. I do wonder if that page says that because someone got it out of the blue box or off the end boss in the heroic, but that's purely up to chance and in no way currently verifiable *sigh*

Wow.

3 pages worth of replies, and not a single naysayer :).

Keep the support coming guys!

Who knows, this suggestion might get noticed and our dream of dual-wielding A-300s may become a reality. :)