Galactic Seasons - S1 Check In

DavidStaats

Hi all,

We wanted to take this opportunity to discuss some of the feedback we have received regarding Galactic Seasons and provide some answers and clarification, insight into our goals and how we addressed some of the issues which have popped up early this Season. This is going to be a large delve, so let’s dive right in!

Season 1 End Date

Our current plan has always been for Season 1 to last 5 months. Given the Season 1 start date of April 27th, that would put the end date for Season 1 in the September time frame, however we acknowledge we never stated the official end point.

Season 1 will end on Tuesday, September 28 at 12:00PM GMT. This information will be available on the Galactic Season screen in an upcoming update.

Galactic Seasons Tokens

We have seen a lot of questions regarding Galactic Seasons Tokens and if they will or will not expire at the end of a Season.

We do not intend to reset these Tokens at the end of any Season. Galactic Season Tokens are meant to be collected and shared from Season to Season. They are a permanent currency for any and all Galactic Seasons now and in the foreseeable future.

Priority Objectives

We have seen a lot of feedback in regards to the Priority Objectives, both in the types and variety of activities they include, the reroll feature, and the potential for sharing them with your friends to make it easier to tackle them together.

More Variety/Refreshes:

While Galactic Seasons will never have the same level of variety as the Conquest system, it is our intention to add more variety into later Seasons, which we believe should address both the desire for more variety as well as more refreshes.

When we looked at Season 1, we considered a few key elements; activity patterns we saw in player week to week Conquest participation, where there was opportunity to increase engagement, ensuring that Daily and Weekly Priority Objectives fell into a certain time-to-complete range, and ensuring that no matter which objective you had it was relevant to what you are able to actually participate in.

By keeping this initial list of Priority Objectives a little more trimmed down and focused, we could ensure that players met all of these key elements. As we move into future Seasons we will be building further upon this foundation.

Linking or Sharing Priority Objectives:

Similar to refreshes, we are looking into how we can solve the core desire in this request. Priority Objectives are built using the same tech we use for Achievements and Conquest Objectives. Unlike Missions, this tech does not inherently contain capabilities for sharing, so there would be a lot to consider in supporting this type of feature. While we will continue to explore what this could look like, we know that it is important for players to be able to participate in Galactic Season Priority Objectives with friends, and that is an aspect we are and will be more deeply exploring solutions for while building out future Seasons.

Jaleit Nall Rotational Vendor

Our Galactic Seasons vendor, Jaleit Nall, is intended to be a rotating vendor similar to Kai Zykken, however with a longer rotating cadence. We have seen the feedback that players had saved up for a very specific item on her inventory which then became unavailable without notice.

To help make this a more predictable schedule, we will be simplifying and unifying the rotating cadence with Game Update 6.3.1 such that all rotations will occur once every week at 12:00AM GMT. This will line up more appropriately with Kai’s current rotation cadence, and we hope will help make her inventory more predictable.

Group A will remain active for 1 week, and then cycle out for 3 weeks. Group A will consist of the following rewards:

• HK-55 Jetpack
  • Lucky 77 Swoop
  • Makrin Creeper Seedling
  • Model Gravestone
  • Nico Okarr
  • Nico Okarr's Duster
  • Nico's Blaster
  • Propaganda: Fight For The Meatbags Replica
  • Tauntaun Ram
  • Title: The Illustrious

Group B will begin a week after Group A, remain active for 1 week, and then cycle out for 3 weeks. Group B will consist of the following rewards:

• Eternal Empire Patroller
  • Galactic Alliance Statue Replica
  • Gannifari
  • HK-55's Blaster Pistol
  • Kakkran Daggerstar
  • Model Zakuul Battlecruiser
  • Rapid Recon Walker
  • Shae Vizla
  • Title: Test Pilot
  • Title: The Intrepid

Group C will begin a week after Group B, remain active for 1 week, and then cycle out for 3 weeks. Group C will consist of the following rewards:

• Grand Statue of Revan Replica
  • HK-55 Helmet
  • HK-55's Sniper Rifle
  • JA-3 Subversive Battle Droid
  • Mini-Mogul NM-1
  • Model Mach 2
  • Paxton Rall
  • Title: Scourge of the Hutts
  • Umbaran Patrol Tauntaun

Group D will begin a week after Group C, remain active for 1 week, and then cycle out for 3 weeks. Group D will consist of the following rewards:

• Chiss Talon Interceptor
  • Dazh Ranos
  • Heliotropic Subteroth
  • HK-55's Vibrosword
  • JA-3 Speeder
  • K1-W4 Astromech Droid
  • Makeb Gazebo Replica
  • RE-1 Scout Droid
  • Title: The Risen

Important notes:

Jaleit Nall will always be available regardless of the season being active or not. Her inventory will continually cycle through the same rotation as noted in the David's post. Once Group D is done, the rotation will cycle back to Group A.

Ki'at Thavo will have Season 1 items until Season 2 starts, then his Season 1 items will be removed and replaced with Season 2 items.

State of Priority Objectives

We understand and acknowledge that there were initial issues with Priority Objectives, and would like to give some insight into why these issues occurred, and what we have done to address them.

Priority Objectives not tracking:

Players had reported that certain Priority Objectives stopped tracking either under certain conditions, such as the Daily PO: Defeat Capital Enemies, or had been tracking and then suddenly stopped. This was complicated because it was not tied to any one specific process.

Instances where players had Priority Objectives which were tracking and then suddenly stopped tracking was a result of an error in the schedule between Galactic Seasons Weekly schedule and the Conquest Schedule. In this instance, the Galactic Seasons schedule switched over to the next week indicating that new Priority Objectives were available prior to the Conquest schedule switching over. Because Priority Objectives are built using the same tech as our Conquest Objectives, if a player happened to log in during this window of time there was a potential to obtain new Priority Objectives as the system intended. However when the Conquest schedule flipped over 12 hours later, the newly acquired Priority Objectives of those players had then become invalid, thus preventing them from further tracking and advancing.

We have brought these two schedules back in line with each other as we intended, and have made additional development and internal testing improvements to prevent this in the future. Further, we are exploring additional ways to further separate the two systems from each other to help prevent this in future Seasons.

In instances where players had Priority Objectives which were tracking and then seemed to not track or update under other conditions was due to the complexities of our Priority Objectives multiple conditional passes. In these cases, a condition check was preventing characters above certain Levels from progressing Priority Objectives which were already provided as a player’s assigned Priority Objectives. We have resolved this condition check and have made notes for future internal development and testing to ensure that this does not occur moving forward.

Refreshing into completed Priority Objectives:

Refreshing into Objectives which were already completed was due to one of the Priority Objective’s final condition checks failing, allowing progress on Objectives which were not visible or assigned to the player. This is the same tech which allows hidden Achievements to progress and to then display themselves when completed, so we needed to ensure that our fix for this was methodical to prevent a more widespread issue. We have identified the fix and rolled it out to all Priority Objectives, and will continue to cross check this while developing and internally testing all Priority Objectives. In addition, we are looking into ways to further prevent this as we move into Season 2.

Only having one Priority Objective:

This was due to a timing issue with a safeguard we had placed in to prevent players from being assigned previously completed Priority Objectives. In this instance the system was assigning Priority Objectives to the player, however the Conquest system was then resetting those same Priority Objectives leaving players in a bad state and potentially with only 1 Weekly Priority Objective if they had already done that Weekly during the week prior.

We corrected this behavior, and in addition created a form of self-repair in the event this occurs again. This checks if a Legacy has the correct number of Priority Objectives, and if not the system will recognize this and assign the Legacy another valid Priority Objective.

We are examining all of the issues we have had with Priority Objectives with Season 1 and applying that knowledge moving forward. We are seeing where there are additional opportunities to separate out some of the systems, and ways to simplify.

We want to thank you for your continued feedback. We are very actively gathering and using it to refine what Season 2 may look and feel like.

EDIT: Added clarification on vendor availability post Season 1.

Edited by JackieKo

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. Appreciate the honesty, and comprehensiveness of the post. Glad to hear that you're fixing the issues soon and - in the case of QoL improvements - considering them for Season 2.

This is an example of several good things: listening to the players, reviewing the concerns internally, and communicating the results of such review at length.

Glad to see this.

And the posting web page tools have started working again as well.

Thank you for this. Not sure if you can, or will answer this, But when it comes to the rewards from the vendor, will you be taking ideas/requests from players, as to what previous rewards we'd like to see? There are some rewards I don't have, and aren't in the list for season 1, so I'm curious if we can suggest or ask for certain ones to be added to the next season.

Please correct me: so once 6.3.1 is released, Group A items will be available for one week, then Group B for one week, etc.

When is 6.3.1 expected to be released (no release date mentioned), although the updated rotation for the classic item vendor eases any further delays.

Thank you for the lenghty gold post - a rarity to see and most welcome.

Can I ask, as a subscriber since launch...aside from the new fleet strongholds and the cartel coins on offer is there anything NEW to be made available through Galactic Seasons or is it really intended for new people who missed out on all or part of the last ten years?

...genuine question, as I am asking myself why I'm taking part in it or do I need to take part in it once the strongholds have been acquired.

Thanks again for your post.

"where there was opportunity to increase engagement"

Well if that wasn't clear as day lol. Well at least everyone knows they are not going to change anything until at least Season 2. So PVP and GSF for all those who are still grinding. No acknowledgement of difficulty getting OPS groups or people misbehaving in PVP, or spawn rates changes. No adjustments to credits for Premium players, and no date when next update that will fix companions purchased from event vendor. But at least someone finally posted something.

The only thing good is they will be improving vendor rewards to a more predictable pattern.

I had a lot more typed up here, but honestly it's just reiterating the point that I'm disappointed in how you guys are handling this system. I'm dismayed to see you kick the can for improvements down the road to the next season considering PTS feedback on this season was completely blown off. This system can and should be much better than it is right now, but I fear with that attitude towards improvements to it, we could be waiting a long time for it to actually get there.

"where there was opportunity to increase engagement"

Well if that wasn't clear as day lol. Well at least everyone knows they are not going to change anything until at least Season 2. So PVP and GSF for all those who are still grinding. No acknowledgement of difficulty getting OPS groups or people misbehaving in PVP, or spawn rates changes. No adjustments to credits for Premium players, and no date when next update that will fix companions purchased from event vendor. But at least someone finally posted something.

The only thing good is they will be improving vendor rewards to a more predictable pattern.

It is disappointing that they cannot give an estimate for implementation of 6.3.1 (even if the estimate changes drastically I actually prefer some for of timeline), but the more predictable pattern for vendor items is much better. It means that once the update takes place, we will know when to log back in (for those who can't participate everyday).

I would like companions based on the other class stories as items on vendor.

Maybe every season we get a "default" Sith Warrior, etc. Gender and appearance does not matter. I just like the idea that all the other great heroes that could be frozen somewhere in carbonite like the player ("Outlander") gets freed.

Adding interactions with the default hero's old crewmates is probably too much, but great for roleplaying purposes.

I'm honestly rather concerned by this.

It addresses some of the problems being reported but the vast majority continue to be around the blatant push to force people into content they don't want to do.

Adding more options just mitigates the problem, it doesn't fix it.

You've been told many, many times that RNG is not fun

Give options for all forms of game content, and let people pick from that pool to complete 2 Daily and 2 Weekly POs

You can't revive PVP by forcing people to experience the *******ery for themselves.

Since it seems like this will be relevant, if we're not going to get any improvements for the objectives of this season, will there be any likelihood of the various rewards in this season that aren't on the current vendor (such as the "Exquisite" weapons) being offered for tokens in future seasons or are those permanently gone unless this season comes back again?

No guarantee the current classic items will return, although would be smart to bring them back at least one more season, if there is a season two. Several weeks have already passed without the ability to purchase the companions and there are those who already obtained the new fleet stronghold of their choice or only wanted the companions.

Already switching out the vendor items once a week and notifying us of the actual groupings is a step in the right direction.

No guarantee the current classic items will return, although would be smart to bring them back at least one more season, if there is a season two. Several weeks have already passed without the ability to purchase the companions and there are those who already obtained the new fleet stronghold of their choice or only wanted the companions.

Already switching out the vendor items once a week and notifying us of the actual groupings is a step in the right direction.

To be clear, I'm meaning more the items that are on the track itself, so the GS-specific items. The weapons themed after the new companion are the ones I'm most interested in. There's a vendor where you can buy the "Ornate" weapons, but the "Exquisite" weapons are exclusive to the reward track as far as I can tell, and deep into it at that. With the current attitude of "We'll look into it for the next season", if I want something that's at, say, tier 85 (which I do, that Lightsaber was the best looking reward to me out of this whole season and had me excited prior to actually experiencing the system), I'm probably not gonna even come close to that with the current objective setup and my time constraints. I'd like to know if these items will be coming back on a vendor for tokens at some point or if we'll have to wait for the next time this season rolls around and just hope the system is actually improved by then?

so what loot Group are we in this week.. A, B, C, or D?... maybe a chart showing what the dates are for each Loot Group.. instead of requiring us to do date-math... for example.. what is the current Loot Group A, B, C, or D?

Can I ask, as a subscriber since launch...aside from the new fleet strongholds and the cartel coins on offer is there anything NEW to be made available through Galactic Seasons or is it really intended for new people who missed out on all or part of the last ten years?

The new stuff in Seasons is the stuff awarded directly from levelling up. The vendors are strictly a catch-up mechanism intended to finally put an end to the otherwise endless complaints about being unable to get Master Ranos (and other things).

Galactic Seasons Tokens

We have seen a lot of questions regarding Galactic Seasons Tokens and if they will or will not expire at the end of a Season.

We do not intend to reset these Tokens at the end of any Season. Galactic Season Tokens are meant to be collected and shared from Season to Season. They are a permanent currency for any and all Galactic Seasons now and in the foreseeable future.

"We do not intend to reset these Tokens" implies that there is scope for y'all changing your minds and resetting them. If you are definitely not going to reset them, say so. (The "permanent currency" thing suggests that you are, indeed, not going to change your minds, but "in the foreseeable future" is more vague than I'd like to see in a "definitely not resetting" statement.)

Priority Objectives

When we looked at Season 1, we considered a few key elements; activity patterns we saw in player week to week Conquest participation, where there was opportunity to increase engagement,

This tells me you don't understand why people don't play each type of content. There are three main reasons for non-play:

* Lack of knowledge that the feature exists. This is handled best by making it more visible. Have some new missions (GSF hangar training, Warzone intros, that sort of thing) that pop *automatically* when a character first arrives on Fleet.

* Lack of rewards (definitive example: Star Fortress missions). More on this in a moment.

* Active dislike of the feature in question. Nothing could make me play GSF (I *have* tried it. I hated it with a fire that burned like carbon subnitride.), and if all the POs were GSF, I'd just stuck some rude number of fingers up at Seasons, ignoring it completely.

So, lack of rewards. Well, the Star Fortress missions are totally unrewarding. They are classed as flashpoints, but they don't give flashpoint rewards. No boss loot, no gear boxes, no ... welll, no nothing, really. When I ran through one a few months back (ref: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=972081 ) my first attempt (a re-run) netted me about eight hundred credits as the ultimate reward. Absolutely totally not worth my time.

The way to fix this is to add rewards to the fortresses themselves, just the sort of rewards that FPs have (they are classed as FPs, ffs, so they should give FP rewards).

ensuring that Daily and Weekly Priority Objectives fell into a certain time-to-complete range, and ensuring that no matter which objective you had it was relevant to what you are able to actually participate in.

As noted above, you have to take into account that if someone doesn't want to play feature X, using feature Y to push them to play feature X will make them dislike feature Y as well.

By keeping this initial list of Priority Objectives a little more trimmed down and focused, we could ensure that players met all of these key elements. As we move into future Seasons we will be building further upon this foundation.

This smells very strongly of what y'all did when you released 6.0 crafting. Launching a feature in a "to see whether it works" mode (as you did with 6.0 crafting), especially if PTS testing shows that it *doesn't* work, is never a good plan.

Linking or Sharing Priority Objectives:

Similar to refreshes, we are looking into how we can solve the core desire in this request. Priority Objectives are built using the same tech we use for Achievements and Conquest Objectives. Unlike Missions, this tech does not inherently contain capabilities for sharing, so there would be a lot to consider in supporting this type of feature. While we will continue to explore what this could look like, we know that it is important for players to be able to participate in Galactic Season Priority Objectives with friends, and that is an aspect we are and will be more deeply exploring solutions for while building out future Seasons.

The above should act as a lesson for all those who suggest borrowing feature X as a shortcut to implementing feature Y. It will *never* work out the way those people think. (And that includes folks at BioWare, as shown above.)

Jaleit Nall Rotational Vendor

Our Galactic Seasons vendor, Jaleit Nall, is intended to be a rotating vendor similar to Kai Zykken, however with a longer rotating cadence. We have seen the feedback that players had saved up for a very specific item on her inventory which then became unavailable without notice.

Yeah, that was a fairly ... suboptimal (I'm feeling generous here) way of doing it.

To help make this a more predictable schedule, we will be simplifying and unifying the rotating cadence with Game Update 6.3.1 such that all rotations will occur once every week at 12:00AM GMT. This will line up more appropriately with Kai’s current rotation cadence, and we hope will help make her inventory more predictable.

Stupid question: what was wrong with just throwing all the possible items on the vendor and leaving them there?

For the reroll objective thing and sharing - now I do not know the implementation in code, but instead of rewriting it completely to be able to "share" with group, how about introducing specific activity tokens?

It would work like this - if player has no token in inventory, then reroll is random exactly as it is now. It would be good for people that hate one specific activity, but do not care what will they get instead.

If player has a token in inventory, the objective will reroll to a specific activity (or if player has two or more tokens, it would either show a message to prompt player to stash/sell/destroy some of them, or reroll randomly between the two or more he has tokens for).

The tokens for basic 4 weekly activities (GSF, WZ, OPS and FPs) should be sold for some cheap price like 100 credits at a Galactic Season vendor - so instead of "sharing" the weekly PO activity, people would go to vendor on fleet, buy a token, reroll an objective to be guaranteed to have for example weekly PO for ops or fp objective same as their friends (or, in case of PvP players, change FPs or OPS to one of PvP objectives). Also it would bring players to the vendor to check the items there more often.

You could also add some daily activities that you want to promote to the vendor - for example you can have a token to reroll daily objective to a GSF or Warzone, as those are group objectives and people playing those activities often do not like PvE content. For people that do not like PvP content, you can have a token that would reroll to an objective to do X daily quests on Black Hole, Oricon, CZ-198, Iokath.. However, daily objectives are not as much of an issue, so if it would be too much work (because there are so many different weeks with different dailies) it could be skipped in favor of faster delivery of weekly PO objective changes.

For adding a new PO (weekly or daily), you can use the token system for example to create a weekly / daily objective for a very specific activity that should not be part of a "random roll" or initial assignment during weekly/daily objective reset.

For example, you could add a token for Space Combat (on rails) weekly to finish 4 Operations (which is a name for mission that tells you to complete 1-2 specific Space Combat missions).

Or a Weekly PO to finish a GSI weekly mission (which would take probably a lot more than an hour, but it is a solo activity - I think any solo activity weekly PO should be a bit longer than group ones).

You could have a weekly to dig up 2 "big" treasures with seeker droid (now sure how they are called, but when you dig that treasure, the dig area disappears for some time and an achievement to dig 100 of these treasures increases).

For a specific activity group content, perhaps there can be a weekly objective to finish the mission to kill 3 world bosses (the WBs die fast, but the effort to make a group and travel to different planets/instances will take a lot of time).

Maybe a token Weekly PO to finish Weekly Story: Uprisings mission - now this would be also soloable for some players, but it is definitely faster with 2 players and 2 companions, fitting the "play same PO content with your friend".

Similar to the above, a token for Weekly: Star Fortess mission, which allows either solo story mode fast and easy mission (but you need to run it 6 times), or longer and harder heroic version which is best to be done with a friend, but you only need to do it 3 times.

Access to these weekly tokens can optionally be gated by completing an achievement or having enough reputation (for example having certain amount of reputation with GSI to be able to buy their token, or having an Imperial/Republic Aviator achievement that you finished all space missions for given side to buy the Space Combat weekly mission token)

What I would not like to see is a weekly like "Do 10 heroic missions" or "Kill 250 npcs" that would be too easy and too obvious choice that would not make players do anything new that they are already not doing. I know they would be popular. I would probably use them myself. But what I like about GS is that pushed me into one last activity I avoided for years - the dreaded GSF. I like to get achievements and would do all weird and hidden stuff to get them (sitting over 54k points now), but GSF I avoided all the time, and while I am still very bad at it, it is not really worse than a warzone match. I do not care how the match ends and will try my best to help, it is over soon enough so time spent is similar to a rampage and for whatever reason I find less frustrating getting shot down 10 times that competing for bugs with several players at the same area.

What I like is that GS pushed me to an activity that I do not usually do, so I am now progressing some achievements I did not have (similar to warzones that I also do not play unless I have to for some specific achievement/quest). So I would love any new weekly / daily PO objectives to keep that pattern and point players to activities that are not "mainstream", but also I think it is important that these specific side activities are not forced on players - so an opt-in token would be best.

Since seasons started I gotten more involved in warzones and starfighter cough I do suck cough I enjoyed them win or lose

If anyone have suggestions on how to improve in starfighter I'd be happy to hear. Flashpoints I been avoiding like a plague cause I done them multiple times

Really could do with more weekly and daily pos there like do story fps or star fortresses hell even a kofte or kotet chapter a day

Can't wait to get ranos soon and can't wait to see what comes next in season 2

"We do not intend to reset these Tokens" implies that there is scope for y'all changing your minds and resetting them. If you are definitely not going to reset them, say so. (The "permanent currency" thing suggests that you are, indeed, not going to change your minds, but "in the foreseeable future" is more vague than I'd like to see in a "definitely not resetting" statement.)

This tells me you don't understand why people don't play each type of content. There are three main reasons for non-play:

* Lack of knowledge that the feature exists. This is handled best by making it more visible. Have some new missions (GSF hangar training, Warzone intros, that sort of thing) that pop *automatically* when a character first arrives on Fleet.

* Lack of rewards (definitive example: Star Fortress missions). More on this in a moment.

* Active dislike of the feature in question. Nothing could make me play GSF (I *have* tried it. I hated it with a fire that burned like carbon subnitride.), and if all the POs were GSF, I'd just stuck some rude number of fingers up at Seasons, ignoring it completely.

So, lack of rewards. Well, the Star Fortress missions are totally unrewarding. They are classed as flashpoints, but they don't give flashpoint rewards. No boss loot, no gear boxes, no ... welll, no nothing, really. When I ran through one a few months back (ref: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=972081 ) my first attempt (a re-run) netted me about eight hundred credits as the ultimate reward. Absolutely totally not worth my time.

The way to fix this is to add rewards to the fortresses themselves, just the sort of rewards that FPs have (they are classed as FPs, ffs, so they should give FP rewards).

As noted above, you have to take into account that if someone doesn't want to play feature X, using feature Y to push them to play feature X will make them dislike feature Y as well.

This smells very strongly of what y'all did when you released 6.0 crafting. Launching a feature in a "to see whether it works" mode (as you did with 6.0 crafting), especially if PTS testing shows that it *doesn't* work, is never a good plan.

The above should act as a lesson for all those who suggest borrowing feature X as a shortcut to implementing feature Y. It will *never* work out the way those people think. (And that includes folks at BioWare, as shown above.)

Yeah, that was a fairly ... suboptimal (I'm feeling generous here) way of doing it.

Stupid question: what was wrong with just throwing all the possible items on the vendor and leaving them there?

Interesting analysis ... Though parts of it may seem harsh .. for the most part accurate (from a certain stand point of view).

IMO that is why there are pages of complaints about the new GS system.

I also find it interesting how one individual can raise total XXXX (complaints) about one aspect of the game and manages to reshape the entire future of SWTOR including how that same part said game translates into a new release(s) such as Galactic Seasons.

Interesting !!

For the most part since GS is "optional" and does not directly affect me personally (aside from not finding too much I'm interested in at the vendor ) I will play what I want.

ALSO: I personally believe that the team knows EXACTLY what their intent and design of GS is and it's future implications. (They're actually quite intelligent when it gets right down to it) Hence .. my conclusion: It should be interesting to see how OP translates into the future of SWTOR.

Please note: this is not a rant. It is simply my own observations. I will continue to play the game as previously planned .

Edited by OlBuzzard