Jedi Guardian on the PTS!

JackieKo

• Dev Post

Hello everyone!

Welcome to our first phase of PTS featuring the Jedi Guardian Combat Style. In case you missed it, we go through a bit of the philosophy behind the updates we’re making to Combat Styles in this article.

There are two main goals we are aiming to achieve: Streamlining ability sets in order to enable more player choice and maintaining the unique identity of the class. We know players will be thinking about the reduced quantity of abilities and what that looks like, so here is an in-depth look into how the Jedi Guardian Combat Style is impacted by player choices.

The way combat styles will work is that every few levels, players will have one of the following occur:

• Receive a new ability
  • Choose from 1 of 3 abilities
  • Choose from 1 of 3 passives
  • Choose from 1 of 3 passives or abilities

This allows us to streamline each class while ultimately retaining its original identity. Even though streamlining each combat style ultimately means paring down the overall quantity of abilities that every playstyle shares, our goal is that players will still be able to choose their favorite abilities and make more meaningful decisions around how they want to play and fulfill their gameplay fantasy.

Let’s walk through what the Focus Jedi Guardian’s paths and choices look like today. Remember that this is all very initial and we expect this will change a lot between now and launch based on your feedback (so please share your thoughts). When choosing your Discipline you will get the option to select one of two defaulted sets of choices. "A" focuses on more offensive abilities while "B" will lean more on defense. Review the info below to see exactly which skills and passives you will receive based on your selection.

*Levels tied to ability grants in PTS are not set in stone and subject to change*

*The A and B markers indicate the two ability path options that are chosen for this phase of PTS. *

~Levels 1-5 - These are not Discipline specific

• Strike (1)
  • Slash (1)
  • Force Leap (1)
  • Blade Storm (4)
  • Blade Barrage (5)

~Level 10 - Gain Ability

• Focused Burst - Single target burst damage ability.

~Level 15 - Choose one ability or passive

• Blade Burst - Blade Storm becomes AoE and slows.
  • Saber Throw - Gain the Saber Throw Ability.
  • [A] Energy Barrage - Adds Energy Damage to Blade Barrage and it now immobilizes the target.

~Level 20 - Choose one passive (applies to Focused Burst)

• [A] Zenith - Increases critical chance after using Focused Burst
  • Focusing Strike - Focused Burst deals 15% more damage.
  • Unstable Focus - Focused Burst now hits in AoE.

~Level 25 - Gain Ability

• Zealous Leap - A short ranged leap with high damage.

~Level 30 - Choose one passive (applies to Zealous Leap)

• [A] Zealous Discovery - Reduce the CD of Combat Focus every time you activate Zealous Leap.
  • Zealous Defense - Receive a small shield every time Zealous Leap hits a target.
  • Zealous Annihilation - Zealous Leap now also hits in AoE.

~Level 35 - Choose one ability or passive

• [A] Focused Mediation - Dealing damage with Force Energy generates AP.
  • Awe - Gain the Awe Ability.
  • Critical Conditions - Critical hits with Force Energy reduce the Cooldown of Combat Focus.

~Level 40 - Gain Ability

• Force Exhaustion - Slow the target and apply a high damage DoT.

~Level 45

• New ability granted but there is no choice to be made and it is not discipline specific

~Level 50 - Choose one passive

• [A] Battlefield Command - Taking damage reduces the Cooldown of Force Leap.
  • Path Carver- Increases AoE damage done.
  • Defiance - Build AP whenever you are stunned.

~Level 55 - Gain Ability

• Concentrated Slice - A strong single-target weapon attack.

~Level 60 - Choose one passive

• Second Wind - Lowers the cooldown of Unleash. Unleash now also heals you.
  • [A] Preparation - Leaving combat now reduces the remaining cooldown on some skills.
  • Narrowed Focus - Taking AoE damage now generates AP.

~Level 65

• New ability granted but there is no choice to be made and it is not discipline specific

~Level 70 - Choose one Ability

• Saber Reflect
  • [A] Blade Blitz
  • Enure

~Level 75

~Level 80 - Choose a passive

• [A/B] War Master - Force Leap grants immunity to movement impairing effects and grants Dispatch.
  • Purifying Sweep - Sweep now applies debuffs.
  • Through Peace - Reduces Enure’s Cooldown.

Should you choose the Defense or Vigilance Guardian, the ability paths are as follows:

Defense A

• Antagonizing Assault - Increases damage and critical hit chance of Aegis Assault and increases threat generated.
  • Critical Slash - Guardian Slash’s critical hit chance is increased and its cooldown is reduced for each enemy you critically hit.
  • Critical Defense - Critically hitting with an attack reduces the cooldown of your Combat Focus by 1 second. Combat Focus purges incapacitating and movement impairing effects.
  • Defiance - Builds focus whenever you are stunned.
  • Narrowed Focus - Taking AOE damage generates focus
  • Saber Reflect
  • Through Peace - Reduces Focused Defense’s Cooldown.

Defense B

• Kinetic Barrage - Blade Barrage deals additional kinetic force damage on each hit.
  • Marked Assault - Warding Strike deals more damage to taunted targets.
  • Guardian Focus - Guardian Slash grants protection to all allies in range for 10 seconds
  • Marked Focus - Dealing damage to taunteds target generates 1 focus
  • Trailblazer - Cyclone Slash deals 25% more damage.
  • Preparation - Leaving combat now reduces the active cooldowns of Force Leap, Combat Focus and Saber Throw by 100%.Enure
  • War Master - Force Leap grants immunity to movement impairing effects and grants Dispatch.

Vigilance A

• Burning Barrage - Blade Barrage deals additional burning damage on each hit.
  • Cauterizing Brand - Increases initial damage of Plasma Brand and reduces its cooldown by 2 seconds.
  • Burning Offense - Overhead Slash does additional direct burn damage on hit and its critical chance is increased
  • Searing Meditation - Each time you deal damage with a direct burn attack, you generate 1 focus. Activating Combat Focus resets the cooldown of Blade Storm.
  • Battlefield Command - Taking damage reduces the cooldown of Force Leap.
  • Preparation - he active cooldowns of Force Leap, Combat Focus and Saber Throw by 100%
  • Enure
  • Through Peace - Reduces Focused Defense’s Cooldown.

Vigilance B

• Branding Burst - Killing a target with direct burn damage while affected by Plasma Brand causes it to explode, hitting nearby targets
  • Force Skewer - Increases the leap range of Overhead Slash and immobilizes target
  • Critical Conditions - Critical hits with Force Energy attacks reduce the Cooldown of Combat Focus.
  • Trailblazer - Cyclone Slash deals 25% more damage.
  • Narrowed Focus - Taking AOE damage generates focus
  • Blade Blitz
  • Purifying Sweep - Force Sweep now sunders the targets they damage for 45 seconds.

This is where PTS comes in. As we announced on our livestream last week, what is available now on PTS is a first look into the upcoming changes of this class. We want to give you all first impressions into what customization will look like, but please keep in mind the following to set expectations for this round of PTS:

• This is super high level and not a deep dive (that will come later!).
  • All three Disciplines will be available; however flexibility in ability choices will be heavily restricted for this first phase of testing.
  • Each Discipline has two ability paths available and you can select one of the two options to get a taste for different playstyles
  • Your character will be capped at level 75

There is a lot of info to read and process, so please take your time in familiarizing yourself with all the data provided and let us know your thoughts!

For Steam players, there will be a new prompt on our storefront page when PTS is available. Clicking the link there will start the process to getting the PTS installed!

For details on how to access PTS, please go here.

Jedi Guardian feedback can be provided here.

Edited by JackieKo

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post
Hello, how can i make copy-transfer of my current characters in my account to PTS server? I see only NA, not Europe servers for PTS?

Hello Nether_Pantera,

Please read this thread on how to access this phase of PTS. Additionally, PTS is only available for the NA servers.

I'm sorry, am I reading this right? Defense Guardians are supposed to choose ONE ability between Saber Reflect, Blade Blitz, and Enure? 3 of our pretty important DCDs? That's actually ridiculous if I'm reading this correctly. Edited by HamadKyron

I'm sorry, am I reading this right? Defense Guardians are supposed to choose ONE ability between Saber Reflect, Blade Blitz, and Enure? 3 of our pretty important DCDs? That's actually ridiculous if I'm reading this correctly.

I bet this dumbing down will be across classes so while it is bad, it may still be balanced. however, please change this, we aren't playing a mobile game we don't need this dumbed down.

I'm sorry, am I reading this right? Defense Guardians are supposed to choose ONE ability between Saber Reflect, Blade Blitz, and Enure? 3 of our pretty important DCDs? That's actually ridiculous if I'm reading this correctly.

his round of PTS is a high-level first look at the Jedi Guardian, so it’s not a super deep dive, and there is a limitation on what will be available to play and customize at this time. While you will be able to see the full scope of customization of the Jedi Guardian in a later PTS, you will only be offered default choices for this initial phase.

https://www.swtor.com/info/news/article/20210708

So from my understanding this is only for this test. Later on it could be later. They seem to be slowly testing the changes which is probably the best idea.

Edited by casirabit

his round of PTS is a high-level first look at the Jedi Guardian, so it’s not a super deep dive, and there is a limitation on what will be available to play and customize at this time. While you will be able to see the full scope of customization of the Jedi Guardian in a later PTS, you will only be offered default choices for this initial phase.

So from my understanding this is only for this test. Later on it could be later. They seem to be slowly testing the changes which is probably the best idea.

Well, yes but I'm specifically looking at this

Saber Reflect

[A] Blade Blitz

Enure

That seems to indicate that even when we get our own choice, we're losing 2 really important tanking abilities.

Saber Reflect

[A] Blade Blitz

Enure

That seems to indicate that even when we get our own choice, we're losing 2 really important tanking abilities.

I can't yet see the PTS on Steam to check these changes myself, but as you describe them, I think this is already a bad idea. I'll never understand the constant drive towards over simplification and mindlessness in gaming - it never works, it never produces a better or more engaging product, but it just keeps happening, for decades. Was there a real person who was just becoming overwhelmed by having access to saber reflect and enure, at the same time? It feels more like somebody's imagination.

Saber Reflect

[A] Blade Blitz

Enure

Wasn't this example specifically for the Focus Guardian and not for the tanking spec? I'd assume the tree looks different on that end, though I may be wrong.

Lets agree that it can change, but lets also agree that if it does not, that sucks, so lets make some noise so the devs know what to not do...

Saber Reflect

[A] Blade Blitz

Enure

So the post makes very little sense even once you are on pts. So they are only going over FOCUS, vigilance and defense they didn't go through the choices. So it will be different choices on pts.

So the post makes very little sense even once you are on pts. So they are only going over FOCUS, vigilance and defense they didn't go through the choices. So it will be different choices on pts.

Yes, that's for the Focus Guardian, but that choice is CLEARLY the same on every Discipline. Look at the Loadout presets for Defense Guardian. One has Saber Reflect, and the other has Enure, and neither have Blade Blitz. I looked at everything specifically to make sure I read it right.

Edited by HamadKyron

Not sure about this, but when I was on the PTS someone was letting people know that you need to talk to the droid that gives you your pre-selected leveling options TWICE in order to actually have all of the intended abilities.

This indicates you get ennure no matter what, you choose between blitz and reflect

This indicates you get ennure no matter what, you choose between blitz and reflect

No, the A and B are indicating path A of Focus has Blade Blitz, while path B has Saber Reflect. You can only pick one of these three abilities, you cannot have more than one at once. I have just checked every path that is on pts, they all only have one of these three abilities. Same with the rest of the choices outlined in this thread.

Saber Reflect

[A] Blade Blitz

Enure

I believe their reasoning for putting that is for the PTS pre-set discipline stuff.

A few folks are on PTS, but we don't see the droid anywhere?

The droid to get to fleet is by the speeder to the Gnarls on Tython. Once you're on fleet go to the combat training area where the knight trainer would be and you'll see a whole mess of guardians. That's where the next stop is.

Saber Reflect

[A] Blade Blitz

Enure

It looks to me like you choose between A and B and get Enure regardless.

It looks to me like you choose between A and B and get Enure regardless.

Based on this from their post:

The way combat styles will work is that every few levels, players will have one of the following occur:

Receive a new ability

Choose from 1 of 3 abilities

Choose from 1 of 3 passives

Choose from 1 of 3 passives or abilities

It doesn't seem that way. You just get to select 1.

I am not a fan of this streamlining whatsoever. One of the main reasons I've stuck with SWTOR over other MMO's is due to the wide variety of abilities every class has and all of their uses. Cutting the amount of abilities you can have down will make everything less fun and interesting to play in my opinion. Not to mention the balancing that would need to be done to every operation boss to account for the fact that a Guardian tank will now be losing two of their main DCD's (Blade Blitz a little more situational than the others, but still). We haven't even seen what sacrifices the other tanks will have to make.

I thought combat styles meant a straight up swap for what we have already. So my Knight could say, swap to Telekinetic Sage and use all its abilities as is not... pick and choose from this weird streamlining. That sounds awful, and confusing, and feels like it would be difficult to 'learn' a rotation for it. :(

Everything about this sounds awful....Are you seriously breaking up Guardians defense skills?

First impression is that you took away too many abilities.

please don't do what SWG did with their NGE. They dumbed it down so much that the COMBAT game just wasn't fun anymore.

QFE ^

BioWare Dev Team: when i first read your recent announcement , i & many others became very excited at the possibility of a return to more like pre-4.0 'skill trees' type dynamic horizontal progression.

If that's not the case, i & many others are going to be extremely disappointed (and thereby dissuaded from maintaining consistant login & play) . Please please i would urge you to make this 'Legacy of the Sith' expansion to create MORE variety and MORE complexity to the combat Classes.

Yes, that might make things harder to code and therefore harder to "balance" (balance in MMO's is an on-going unattainable false utopia regardless) , but it will make for a better more enjoyable *10th Anniversary* year of SWTOR.

Catering to the lowest common denominator (player) is always a development mistake, imho. :ph_danger:

It's only Day 1 of PTS for this, i understand....but still.... so far, i'm a bit concerned. I'll hope for the best though. :cool: