The Spirit of Vengeance Flashpoint in 6.2 (Veteran Mode) - Feedback

CommunityTeam

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

The Spirit of Vengeance Flashpoint gameplay is now available for testing on PTS! To start this Flashpoint, head on over to Odessen. When on Odessen, use the elevator in the West hallway to the “Alliance Operations” room. Upstairs, you will see a marker on the Map to pick-up this Flashpoint. Below you can find the type of feedback that the team is looking for.

• Do you find the fights themselves too challenging?
  • Are mechanics clearly indicated?
  • Is the jumping puzzle too hard?
  • Were the mechanics of the sniper trap clear enough--was the encounter too easy or was it annoying?

Let us know your thoughts.

Entered Master Mode before reading so I guess I did veteran.

Flashpoint looks good and feels good for veteran mode. Will be much better with cutscenes, story and voicelines.

Just one remark on all the mobs around the flashpoints:

Getting permanently slowed and rooted all the time is not fun when you're killing trash.

If its a boss mechanic, fine, everyone understands and its part of it but these trivial dumbos shouldnt be that annoying. Just like copero and other annoying thrash where there are roots slows and stuns in play this triggered me so hard I almost broke my keyboard.

Jumping puzzle is easy but I'm a platforming expert I one shot Makeb datacron 25 times in a row.

Anyways, looking good, like the theme and surrounding. Can't wait for master mode and the actual story.

Getting permanently slowed and rooted all the time is not fun when you're killing trash.

I second this, I would also like to complain about a lot of enemies having stealth detection. I understand its a shorter flashpoint but adding a lot of stealth detection NPCs is just not fun for me, one or two per area is fine but the current amount is just annoying.

I was doing it on story mode, and I had no issues with it until the last boss who seemingly nearly hit kills my companion with his bomb, his flamethrower's damage is also ludicrous. Though I understand the latter seems to be a bug.

So far, to me they were, avoid AOEs, interrupt things, cleanse. Pretty straight forward.

I found it annoying, died around 3 times. While I don't mind jumping puzzles on datacrons I find the prospect of doing one to progress a flashpoint less than ideal.

• Were the mechanics of the sniper trap clear enough--was the encounter too easy or was it annoying?

I honestly didn't noticed it was a trap until it was too late so I'll have to update my thoughts once I run it again.

Just did a quick solo run through on SM to get a feel for it. A few things:

- Almost every mob unstealths you, I guess this is intended?

- First couple bosses didn't seem to have many/any mechanics, not sure if they're still working on it or that's just story mode. 2nd boss just did a basic attack the whole time and sometimes the screen would fill with error messages which continued on every couple minutes for most of the flashpoint.

- Heta Kol is way overtuned for SM. I went in with a level 50 Theron on heal and he would throw a sticky grenade on Theron at the start of the fight and kill him instantly, obviously I'd die soon after. Even if I taunted boss he would still eventually throw a grenade on Theron and he'd die from it. The grenade is cleansable so I guess this mechanic would be ok on a harder mode where you had a 4 man group w healer who could cleanse, but for sm this is ridiculous. Damage should be significantly lowered.

Not sure if there is anything after that as I couldn't get past Heta

I played through Story mode (via solo Activity Finder) and the fights were very challenging, even with 306 gear and a level 50 companion. Both the elite enemies and the bosses should be scaled down prior to release.

I got stuck at the second boss, probably because I went to the bridge before clicking the tether. The quest then remained at "Reach the Fortune's Folly Bridge" even when I entered the bridge and killed the boss. Please ensure that players cannot enter the bridge before clicking the tether, or fix the quest so it cannot get stuck.

In general, the flashpoint up to the 2nd boss felt too long. I expect players will go through it for story/achievements and then never do it again. This will be another flashpoint that if it comes up in group finder, the group will instantly disband and requeue hoping for a shorter flashpoint.

Please remove at least half the trash groups, reduce the map size and allow many more trash groups to be skipped. I understand you want to offer a great experience for first-time story players, but flashpoints are repeatable group content and should be completable in under 30 minutes by a PuG.

On a positive note, I like that the medics in this map have normal toughness; this encourages DPS' weak-to-strong target order as is optimal for SWTOR. Flashpoints like Legacy of Rakata on the other hand, where healers are elites, are harmful in teaching the target order to new players.

Most of the standard and weak mobs were not level 75 but anywhere from level 7 to 73; please ensure all enemies are level 75.

The dogs break stealth but have no visible buff that indicates it; please add a buff "Can detect stealth".

Edited by Jerba

In story mode, at boss Bask Sunn, kept getting

[sov_bas: Dash Prep: effect 3] [caster=158000167045] [target=158000158533] [prim=caster]

[sov_bas: Dash Prep: effect 4] [caster=4611689377726270171] [target=158000167045] [prim=caster]

[sov_bas: Dash Prep: effect 5] [caster=158000167045] [target=158000158533] [prim=caster]

At boss knock back.

Troya Ajak "Songbirds Volley" did not do anything. Generally damage done by boss low.

Heta Kol, bit too tough to do as RDPS and melee heal, worked as ranged dps and ranged heal. Not sure this will be possible without a cure for the grenade, going to be difficult for the pure DwT and tank class.

Otherwise good battles. More flanking mobs would be good.

Side room side quest/ bonus and mobs flanking when leaving may add something to the FP

Edited by ElanSolUgad

There are way too many trash mobs.

[*]Is the jumping puzzle too hard?

It's pretty easy but it will still be annoying in vet/master mode because in every group there's always that one player who just can't manage to do it.

It would probably be best to keep it as it is in story mode but remove it in vet/master.

EDIT: We didn't realize Master Mode was not ready yet until after we played it and I wrote this post sorry.

Do you find the fights themselves too challenging?

No, they were too easy we just rolled through in both vet and master. There seemed to be no mechanics or at least the mechanics didn't do anything that could hurt us much except for the fire on the last boss.

Are mechanics clearly indicated?

Lol no.

We couldn't figure out at all what the tether did in master mode or veteran mode. We could see the tether, but we didn't know what to do with it at all. The songbirds we saw a lot of abilities go off for, but also never knew what to do with them. Also saw the orange triangle symbol on my character but didn't figure out what it meant.

Is the jumping puzzle too hard?

No, we liked that only one person had to succeed. It was a nice surprise to have a jumping puzzle with fire.

Were the mechanics of the sniper trap clear enough--was the encounter too easy or was it annoying?

This was a great surprise. My group saw the sniper sniping at us so I charged forward so they would hurt us less and I charged down the center because I saw the traps on the left and right. This led me to fall to my doom. I was looking at the snipers so I didn't even see the floor open up until the second round. Our group was frantically communicating it was great I was yellow I fell down and I'm being attacked by squirmy worms. Eventually my team mates must have run forward and jumped down with me. The second time we ran it I tried to see if I could jump around the open pit to get to the snipers but there was an invisible wall.

Feedback

This felt really easy and mechanic light. The environment is very cool we liked the design a lot, looking forward to seeing the cutscenes as we ere guessing what they might show and it sounded fun, but the actual fights were... eh. On veteran I don't expect it to be hard, but maybe have 1 fun mechanic. Or master I expect it to have mechanics and be hard. Neither were true for this fp.

PS we went with a group of 4 through the groupfinder and it worked fine.

Bug

These weird error messages popped up fairly often.

https://imgur.com/a/tW88UER

If you need to see exactly when and where check my stream videos at twitch.tv/sworista the one labelled as testing the flashpoint.

Edited by LadyAdmiral

Not - at - all.

We've ran both veteran and MM (we didn't knew that MM was still in WIP) but it was way too easy. Just clear mobs and tank-spank.

And.. Way too many mobs to my liking. I'd rather have a -few- challenging ones than an army of npc's to just slash through.

Some yes, but most not really. As swtorista said. We saw the tether but had no clue really what to do. Most of the mechanics felt: tank and spank. And interupt when needed. It's.... a bit easy when you look at that and didn't felt challenging. And more confusing (to me) with: ''is this it?''

No, Maybe? Jumping with +200ms lag is always a challenge. However, if you have 1 person in your team who can do the puzzle it's all fine. I've seen harder jumping puzzles in the game. So no. I don't think it's too hard. Just.. unnessicary.

Were the mechanics of the sniper trap clear enough--was the encounter too easy or was it annoying?

At first it was a little confusing. Is there a button that we should click when the 1st player fell? Should you hide and wait for the doors to close and run over the panel when it closed? (it didn't).

I guess I'd go with annoying. It's easy once you know that you need to jump. But for new players who do it the 1st time it can be a bit of a : eh.. whats going on moment.

As for the bugs:

What swtorista posted with that one chat announcement that kept coming up (both announcement and in the chat)

Troya Ajak:

We killed it, however it respawned. (we had to sneak over to the terminal to click. but the npc was back at full health)

Heta Kol: When she jumped up the 1st time she was at at a certain health percentage. However, when she came down she was full health again. Idk if this was intended or a bug when we did the vet mode.

Other thing of notice. It feels that there is a lot of unused area within the flashpoint. Sometimes we just explored it where I thought; oh it would be cool if you could do X there, or that. For example right after the 1st boss with the (escape?) pods. The area is called; The Champions Glory - Boarding Room. . there is this area behind it with just... nothing? Maybe a bonus mission will be added or something else when the fp goes live.

Maybe put down a bonus boss there to fight when you've cut down on the many npc's before in the room?

Get rid of the jumping puzzle

If only one player needs to do the jumping in vet/master then it might be alright to leave it in for those modes. I still don't see the need to add a platforming section when it has never been part of the main storyline before.

It is not difficult in terms of knowing what I should do, but for the platforming challenged like I am actually DOING the jumps is the problem. There is nothing the player can do to make the jumps easier. If you cannot do the jumps, you cannot finish the story.

This is NOT a platforming game. Datacron platforming puzzles are fine since they're both optional and legacy wide so you can do them on classes that have abilities make the jumps easier. For the main storyline, however, I want ALL my classes to be able to do it. Solo. I shouldn't have to group up to finish a story-mode flashpoint.

Well me and my mate tried Flashpoint: story mode The Spirit of Vengeance on the PTS server,

We are in 306 gear with companions at level 50 we got to the boss Heta Kol if i spell it correctly and we were getting blasted like anything took 3/4 of our health in a single shot companions on heal could not heal us up they died almost instantly, we died not long after.

I was on madness damage and the sith socerer was like hardly doing any damage to the boss the damage abilities were totally useless and my mate who was on a sniper was hardly doing any damage too the encounter with Heta Kol was over in less than minute we tried 3 times then gave up in the end very disappointed.

I found the flashpoint appearance and layout good.

But very glitchy in places unable to join chats with my mate who was the group leader.

Most of the bosses we encounters before Heta Kol was not too bad and the enemies overall were ok to handle.

Sith Socerer madness damage need to have its damage restored back the nerfing has destory the socerer a hell of alot over the past years its now useless in most Veteran flashpoints too and extremely weak in warzones.:(

I picked [sTORY] mode, but i guess it was [VETERAN] anyway.

I reached the final boss (with my level 75 character, gear 306, without set bonus and augments, with level 50 companion), but couldn't kill it by myself (guess it's beacuse of the bugs).

Love the design of the flashpoint. Great atmosphere and decor. But I agree there are too many trash mobs with too much hp. Because of thah the flashpoint lasts too long.

I don't mind the jumping puzzle. It's quite easy (especially with rocket boots).

As for the snipers, it's clear where to hide, but I totally missed the trap. At the end I get too confident and ran using Force Speed. Second later I was falling down, not knowing what happened. But it was a pleasent (and funny) surprise. ;P

I think that a lot of the trash mobs could be reduced in quantity, or in health. The flashpoints is really wonderful (I've enjoyed all of the 'new' flashpoints, from Copero to Meridian) but feels a little bit too long with a lot of time just spent running through corridors. It's not a huge problem the first couple of times, but I worry about running this on Master Mode with PUGs.

I would also like to see the bosses have a little bit more 'flair,' but I'll wait to comment on that until I've seen the Master mode properly.

Edited by jedimasterjac

The jumping puzzle is fine. I do however think it is not clear enough. When I first went through the FP I thought it was a bit of scenery as it blended in so well with the rest of the level.

Perhaps you could put some indicators that it is the correct way to go.

I think there is also a bit too much trash. The FP feels very repetitive since it is made of up a lot of similar looking hallways with very little interesting scenery or mechanics to break up the monotony.

Edited by micnevv

I went in on story mode with 306 gear and a 50 comp. I was on a vengeance juggernaut.

--- I thought the fights were fine until Heta Kol. The grenade whooped me LOL. I switched to immortal and tank gear and still couldn't make any headway. Other than Heta the fights were fun, I really enjoy being able to reflect boss' abilities so this was great.

--- There were pretty clear audio cues I thought. I think some of the effects are missing on certain bosses, so I don't feel like this was a problem for me.

--- It was the hardest jumping puzzle I've seen in a flashpoint that's for sure. I got through it without much trouble, but I was chatting with a player who was stuck on it for minutes. I would probably make the jumps a little closer together, so that it still feels thrilling but doesn't have as much potential to make players ragequit. I liked the idea though, it was very cool.

--- I was totally fooled LOL. I had reflect on and was running towards the snipers and got dunked. I liked it a lot. Difficulty felt about right for a class that has good defensive cooldowns.

Swtorista and me just ran the flashpoint in vet mode (2nd time) and it appears that the boss at: The Seeker's Vigil - Harpoon Staging didn't spawned at all.

We tried leaving the phase to a stronghold and even dying inside the phase by fire at the side of the room, but we were not able to get past this point in the flashpoint.

Overall they were acceptable. Companions with "ranged" attacks seem to work better than melee (just my opinion)

Umm ... not really. Then again .. I do things differently than the average person out there... And manage to get by some how !!

I hate jumping puzzles .. that was the ONLY reason I hated the way that KotET ended !! I REALLY hated that slow very meticulous ... tedious walk down memory lane !! The fight with Vaylin was easy... I just hated the puzzle getting there !! I think someone else said it right ... It's one thing to do that looking for a datacron and quite another to have this stuck in the middle of an otherwise excellent "fight".

Did I mention that I REALLY didn't like jumping puzzles !!!

:D:D:D

Can we say OOPS !! Man did I ever get sucker punched !! Nice move !! It was a tad frustrating at first .. But not impossible to over come (swallow pride and tell the truth ! )

Overall the idea is good. Just do away with the "tedious". Wave after wave of stuff to fight is not so bad. Solving puzzles is a good thing. Above all ... it's about having fun !

[*]Do you find the fights themselves too challenging?

Got killed by the grenade attack in one hit on the final boss, this was on story mode. I have 306 gear none augmented. As with all PTS play in the past and this is no exception it will need to be toned down a little just for story mode. Not done Vet or Master as these are not things I do normally. Not every play will have 306 gear nor a level 50 comp. Story mode should be for the casual player. However as with previous updates I am sure it be ok when on the live servers. The other boss fights were just slow but manageable. The FP itself was OK and be more interesting with full story. So yes final boss was to challenging.

[*]Are mechanics clearly indicated?

No, got killed on final bosses on first attack, so had no opportunity to do any mechanics, but none were indicated that I could see before I got killed.

Loot drops, well was not getting any so assume this was not done for PTS.

Trash mobs really slowed the pace of the FP, this is neither good or bad and will greatly depend on the individual player for being good or bad. I did not have an issue with it but it seems many of the above posts did.

[*]Is the jumping puzzle too hard?

The jumping needed for that one part, It was easily done but not keen on these being part of any story content, not everyone is OK with it and will put some off, plus once it's in one story we all know this will be a continuing trend going forward in frequency and difficulty.

[*]Were the mechanics of the sniper trap clear enough--was the encounter too easy or was it annoying?

Ok fell for the trap, after falling into the pit my companion did not fall with me so.... However it was OK and not annoying and I guess after doing the FP a few times players can do the extra or leave it.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

I thought the flashpoint details were AMAZING. The armor on these Mandalorians was fantastic. The decorations combining Zakuul / Mando decorations were perfect.

A couple of things:

1. Being pulled out of stealth is the most annoying thing in the world, especially when my starter is spike. At least let us cloak a bit longer so we can do our rotation is you want us to kill that much trash

2. First boss, Golga Brak, spawns on the other side of the room which I did not expect. There was a lot of trash around there I did not kill and died so fast. Could you move the adds around the boss to prevent that from happening?

3. The jumping puzzle wasn't that bad, maybe reduce the fog a little bit

4. The Last boss for story mode I would remove the grenades. 306 fully augmented sin DPS, with 50 Arcan. I died way too fast and it's hard to cleanse that often with a comp. Not sure about the rest of the Boss given by myself I wasn't able to complete without dying

Overall super excited for the storyline, and for SWTOR

• 2 weeks later...

The jumping puzzle on Fortune's Folly was infuriating, since I'm pretty bad at jumping challenges. I died a bunch of times, but turns it out it's fairly trivial if you use rocket boots. And it seems that only one person in the group needs to make it past the puzzle, then the others can just die and respawn past it, so it won't be that bad.

It can be avoided by jumping through the burning wreckage in the main hallway, not sure if that's intended. Also, if the jumping puzzle is skipped in that way, you can progress up until the second boss without completing objectives, which then seems to bug out the objectives, making it impossible to "Escape the Engine Leak," so the flashpoint cannot be finished.

At 306 gear rating I get a number of gear drops as low as 290.

On veteran mode, Golgo Brak is easily solo-able with a healing companion, the kolto stations aren't even necessary. Also, when he uses his jetpack to jump to me (melee), he moves super slowly through the air and it looks weird.

Goldie aggros if you stand too close, even though the boss is unable to be fought.

Bask Sunn should just give up, it's embarrassing how weak he is. Easily solo-able on veteran with a healing comp and no kolto stations. Only one ability does any real damage, but a companion can easily heal through it.

I have one thing to say to Troya Ajak: "You are weak." Again, easily solo-able. Is she supposed to deal damage? Because she barely does. Only her "Pick Off" ability does a real amount of damage, and that can easily be taken with a defensive cooldown or healed.

Heta Kol is a respectable boss on veteran mode. However, I did take her down on my first try while soloing the flashpoint (on veteran mode), and with a companion for most of the fight, since they died to the grenade. So I can imagine she would be fairly easy with 4 players. Heta Kol is the only boss where I felt like I needed the kolto stations.

All in all, it's not a bad flashpoint, but the first 3 bosses at least need a buff, they're pushovers.

So i just did vet mode.

Pyro PT in Meteor Brawler set with ir 276 augs.

Companion of choice. - Gamorrean lvl 50 on heals.

So i have mixed feelings.

Runs from boss to boss take eternity. Alot of trash mob groups, that's not fun. You can remove 2/3 of them and it still will be alot.

Bosses are quite boring and easy. You guys really need to add some special mechanics to every boss, especially first and second ones.

Jumping puzzle is too easy (even i figured out what to do in like 45 seconds, and im not very smart), sniper trap is ok i guess.

This FP can become something that i would love, something like Nathema. Which is, after we got Meridian that is basically Hammer Station 2.0, would be a nice thing. But each and every boss fight needs so little effort. That's not good.

Edited by Kraysk

Jumping puzzle is too easy (even i figured out what to do in like 45 seconds, and im not very smart), sniper trap is ok i guess.

That's because it isn't really a puzzle, just a jump. It is the platforming itself that is the problem, not any 'puzzle'.

It's the physical part of doing the jumps, something which has never been needed in the previous storyline, that will be an issue.

Testers can dismiss the jumps as 'easy' all they want, but if bioware leaves it in the story mode then you will have players who cannot physically do it (due to actual physical problems, or internet issues) even though they have been able to finish the storyline.

Story mode is supposed to be easy to do. Leave the platforming in the vet/master modes, but find some way to let solo players avoid it.

• 4 weeks later...