Suggestion: dealing with damage farmers

OpenSorce

Damage farmers (or "Damage Griefers" as I call them) are a menace. They destroy morale and reduce participation in warzones by ignoring objectives and just trying to pad their own damage numbers. If you call them out they reply with some ridiculous information about their damage and yours. It's a form of low grade trolling that does nothing but harm Warzone participation and the game overall.

Here's one way to fix it: Remove the penalty for leaving a match early. Or... make the penalty only occur if you've left more than x matches in x minutes. Then whenever people wanting to actually play the warzone get grouped with these bottom feeders they can simply leave and re-queue.

Another way: Remove the damage numbers from the end-match window. Don't show them how much damage they did. That information is only vaguely relevant to the outcome of the match anyway. They'll go troll somewhere else. Hopefully, back to WoW.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removing the penalty for leaving warzones early is not a good idea. Removing the damage numbers after a match could be good, it does promote damage farming as it is. Perhaps having the final window only show your own stats, or just your own medals, would be a viable alternative. Not sure damage farming is the most impactful thing on the quality of warzone matches though compared to not understanding the objectives, class balance issues, rewarding only wins, etc.

Removing the penalty for leaving warzones early is not a good idea. Removing the damage numbers after a match could be good, it does promote damage farming as it is. Perhaps having the final window only show your own stats, or just your own medals, would be a viable alternative. Not sure damage farming is the most impactful thing on the quality of warzone matches though compared to not understanding the objectives, class balance issues, rewarding only wins, etc.

Agreed. On all points.

this has less to do with the death matchers or damage farmers than it does that I despise certain maps (vandin HB and Odessan); but I would like to see the deserter debuff be eliminate for those that leave before the actual match starts.

you get 90 seconds to 2 minutes from queue pop to the actual match starting to allow everyone to zone in. Players leaving before the actual game starts should be spared from the deserter debuff

People always act like you don't need people to do damage to win the game. When you really do.

In my experience in regs, half the people screaming in ops chat that no one is playing the objective is a stealth class doing 800 dps and trying to spam plant a door/spam cap a node. Anti-damage-farmers seem to forget that you actually need to kill the enemy to plant a door in voidstar, or clear the enemy out to cap mid in civil war/yavin ruins. People also seem to forget that having damage farmers running around in a hypergate match killing the entire enemy team basically gives you a free win due to the sheer amount of points your team get's granted.

People who complain about damage farmers always act like it's not easier to win when you get them on your team. Fighting with any good damage farming premade on your team is a practically a free win in several cases. The other team is simply locked down to the point that they cannot do anything.

I do think there needs to be a distinction between 'number farmers' and 'kill farmers' because you can win plenty of unranked warzones with the latter. There are a lot of warzones that award points based on kills such as Hypergate, Yavin 4, Voidstar to an extent. Not to mention it's easier to play objectives on most maps when the other team is in their spawn.

IMO, number farmers are different, they usually play AOE/DoT specs and their whole goal is to find where the other team is clumped up, kamikaze themselves while spamming AOEs (vengance jugg cut-to-pieces good example). Often times their damage gets healed by the other team's healers so nothing gets accomplished. They don't help in objs and don't really contribute to killing anything, in fact, they'll try not to kill anyone because the more targets that are alive = more targets to spread dots etc. Depending on the map, they can even hurt your team's chances of winning.

Teams that rack up the kills, I do think you can work with on most maps, but AOE number farmers are much more difficult to win with.

Edited by Csjbo

When I pvp I want to fight other players not guard a capture point for 15 minutes twiddling my thumbs or carry an orb back and forth while all the fun is elsewhere. If only we had some proper brawler maps.

IMO, number farmers are different, they usually play AOE/DoT specs and their whole goal is to find where the other team is clumped up, kamikaze themselves while spamming AOEs (vengance jugg cut-to-pieces good example). Often times their damage gets healed by the other team's healers so nothing gets accomplished. They don't help in objs and don't really contribute to killing anything, in fact, they'll try not to kill anyone because the more targets that are alive = more targets to spread dots etc. Depending on the map, they can even hurt your team's chances of winning.

People must be absolutely braindead to play like that...

Edited by TheRealExozone

People always act like you don't need people to do damage to win the game. When you really do.

In my experience in regs, half the people screaming in ops chat that no one is playing the objective is a stealth class doing 800 dps and trying to spam plant a door/spam cap a node. Anti-damage-farmers seem to forget that you actually need to kill the enemy to plant a door in voidstar, or clear the enemy out to cap mid in civil war/yavin ruins. People also seem to forget that having damage farmers running around in a hypergate match killing the entire enemy team basically gives you a free win due to the sheer amount of points your team get's granted.

People who complain about damage farmers always act like it's not easier to win when you get them on your team. Fighting with any good damage farming premade on your team is a practically a free win in several cases. The other team is simply locked down to the point that they cannot do anything.

Do you have any idea how many timers i've planted ninja caps with a stealth class, resulting in a win? More times then I can count. Dps to me is completely irrelevant. Objectives is my only concern. I will dps when I need to, to complete an objective. Other then that, couldn't care less. I care much more about winning then a silly thing like dps. If I need to dps like crazy to defend an objective, I will do so happily. But you won't see me do dps on a player where it's not helping along the objective. That's being' a bad player.

Do you have any idea how many timers i've planted ninja caps with a stealth class, resulting in a win? More times then I can count. Dps to me is completely irrelevant.

Do you guys realize how dumb this is? **** like this never works against good teams. If you actually want to play skilled 8v8s, then you HAVE to number farm. In fact, ranked 8v8s back in the day, was ALL ABOUT number farming.

Do you guys realize how dumb this is? **** like this never works against good teams. If you actually want to play skilled 8v8s, then you HAVE to number farm. In fact, ranked 8v8s back in the day, was ALL ABOUT number farming.

Speak for yourself. I've accomplished it against good teams. I just might be better at it then you are.

I read the room. See when the best time to plant. I also stun when needed. I also communicate to my team if i need a distraction.

Mind you, i've done ninja plants on teams with various degrees of awareness. Some have been incredibly easy (less skilled in awareness and guarding), other times i've really had to be calculating in my efforts. Also, not 100 percent success rate. But I woudl say at least 85 percent.

Mind you, i've done ninja plants on teams with various degrees of awareness. Some have been incredibly easy (less skilled in awareness and guarding), other times i've really had to be calculating in my efforts. Also, not 100 percent success rate. But I woudl say at least 85 percent.

If you have an 85% cap rate, you are the single greatest player in the history of this game.

These comments are so absurd it's fun to read :D

I read the room. See when the best time to plant. I also stun when needed. I also communicate to my team if i need a distraction.

What does this even mean. Also why am I reminded of the double rainbow meme when reading this.

Like you going outside someone's window with a boom box over your head.

What does this even mean. Also why am I reminded of the double rainbow meme when reading this.

Like you going outside someone's window with a boom box over your head.

Sounds like you don't understand my tactics. No worries. You don't need to. It will make it easier to ninja cap against you.

Sounds like you don't understand my tactics. No worries. You don't need to. It will make it easier to ninja cap against you.

For real though reading this is the first time I actually laughed while reading a post.

Please enlightenment me o great one with how you have such tactics, that no one in ten years of this game knows. Please teach all of us plebs.

For real though reading this is the first time I actually laughed while reading a post.

Please enlightenment me o great one with how you have such tactics, that no one in ten years of this game knows. Please teach all of us plebs.

I legit wonder if you are trolling.

I also wonder what server you play pvp on? Could very well be the pvp culture is different where you play.

And I'm not the only stealther who plays like I mentioned above. Any stealther worth their salt does the same as I do.

To be fair, I've also seen a lot of stealther who don't take full advantage of their class. To each their own. Play how you want to play as long as it helps the objective.

I learned the tactics I use through the 8 years of playing pvp.

I legit wonder if you are trolling.

I also wonder what server you play pvp on? Could very well be the pvp culture is different where you play.

And I'm not the only stealther who plays like I mentioned above. Any stealther worth their salt does the same as I do.

To be fair, I've also seen a lot of stealther who don't take full advantage of their class. To each their own. Play how you want to play as long as it helps the objective.

I learned the tactics I use through the 8 years of playing pvp.

I would genuinely love to know what tactics you use to result with an 85% successful cap rate. I'd love it even more to see you play a series of games and maintain that %.

why do they farm damage numbers anyway?

It's been years, have these fools not gotten all the damage based medals achievements yet?

Because that's how you win pvp. DPS pressure is the number one reason you win or loose most matches. If you don't think that's a fact you have not played ranked 8s.

Because that's how you win pvp. DPS pressure is the number one reason you win or loose most matches. If you don't think that's a fact you have not played ranked 8s.

I'm glad you specified pressure rather than just DPS. DPS creates pressure, pressure creates kills and opportunities to cap. It's one of the main reasons stalling multiple players outside the main fights on the off nodes is such a valid tactic of creating pressure elsewhere.

The better your DPS is compared to the enemy, the more pressure you create. This doesn't have to be via individual skill or class difference, if you can tie up players and give your team a numerical player advantage in the main skirmish, then you can create more pressure.

Still a relevant video on this -

Here's a suggestion make a new map first team to 30 kills win (if no one gets there then most kills, if kills are equal then damage) and then let players select the maps they want to play. This is called catering to your player base, the dps/kill farmers get the game mode they want and those that want to play objectives can play their preferred mode.