Scoundrel vs Operative animations

Exitusx

Hey all,

I've recently come back to TOR and I am really conflicted on maining my Operative or Scoundrel. I really like them both but I can't decide. Keep in mind I primarily use Concealment/Scrapper.

Operative:

I love knife animations a lot. I know to some people it seems repetitive but that isn't really my issue. The issue I have is that they carry around a Rifle and literally never use it except for maybe Overload Shot if I decide to use Mobile Strategies. Otherwise in a normal rotation it's just... there. I don't hate it, but it does kinda make me scratch my head sometimes. However, I really hate the Kolto Probe animation. I will just have 2 of them floating around me all of the time, and they don't even follow me correctly. If my movement speed is anywhere above 100% they just fall behind and it just looks janky. However, everything beyond that, I really like their animations for basically everything.

Scoundrel

I like the fact that they have pretty varied use of most of their kit. They actively use their Blaster, Scattergun and Fists throughout their rotations. I don't really love the punching animations, but I don't hate them either. I definitely prefer the stabbing to the punching. Same with the Scattergun. It does seem silly sometimes that I will just punch Sith in the face, and it's just plain odd-looking against bigger enemies like Mechs. This is sorta mitigated by the potential for brass-knuckle looking skins, but I seriously can't find many skins like that. If anyone has any ideas for skins that make it look like my Scoundrel has Armblades or spiked-knuckles (or something of the like), let me know! Beyond that, I just really hate the Surrender skill in general compared to the Operative's Countermeasures skill.

What's everyone else's opinion on the subject? :D

I personally love both Scoundrel / Op animations... Concealment is very stabby and Scrapper is very punchy; but the other DPS specs (Lethality and Ruffian) use their main-hand weapon much more often; although both still have the core stab/punch in the rotation. I'd definitely lean more toward Op for 'cool' factor; despite me playing mostly Pub these days cuz friends. Slapping a giant mech or a sith can feel a bit silly sometimes, which is why i prefer Ruffian spec. More pew-pew, less fisticuffs. I still have to live with the awkward Surrender animation, though...

The magically appearing Shotgun can indeed be hard to swallow; but i personally justify it with some of the baggy-western-duster type costumes, and imagine that its inconspicuously kept in a convenient pocket or latch somewhere near the left hand, etc. etc. I know, its a stretch; but it works for me. Along these same lines, i tend to gravitate toward belts that have grenades (or at least pockets) to make sense of most grenade-like abilities; and chest pieces with some kind of backpack to justify the infinite supply...

And, for the medical droids; i honestly prefer the HoT animation on Op more than the Scoundrel; because its a decent visual indicator for when its worn off. I mean, scoundrel has some subtle visual indicators as well; but in the heat of things; i find the animation easier to register than glancing down at the buff bar. Thats pretty minimal, though; and if you hate it, you hate it; and shouldn't play it.

All that said; ive struggled to stay invested in any lightsaber melee char that ive ever tried.... my brain allows pew-pew animations to be repetitive without issue; because i cant really imagine any other way to, well, pew-pew... but with the pure melee characters, i find the repetition of the animations unbearable... I wish each move had a few variants to play through, similar to the basic 'strike'... or at least mirror the other way once in awhile... I acknowledge that a 10y old game this far into its life cycle will likely never see any additional QoL animation put in..

Though i think one achievable band-aid to this would be to allow jedi/sith to train the abilities from both sides; and have them share a cooldown with their mirrors... given that they each function identically and the only difference is the animation, i don't think it would really have any negative implications. One example, for guard/jugg, i much prefer the animation to force scream, vs. blade storm... would be really cool if i could use scream on a jedi, instead of storm.... doing the EXACT same flip/flourish every 9 seconds gets boring to me....

I'd also love to see some flexibility with lightsaber or weapon choice; a guardian with two sabers, a shadow with a single saber, a smuggler with a rifle, a trooper with a pistol.... BUT, i know that will never happen....

Edited by leftharted

• 3 weeks later...

I feel like the reason it ended up like this was because in the original class design, they could still shoot from cover. Then all of a sudden they moved them to be more melee-centric and suddenly their main weapons saw far less use.

I've gotten used to Mobile Strategies on my Operative so it isn't as big of deal anymore. However, I still have some gripes/approvals:

Scoundrel:

- The Bludgeon animation sometimes bugs out and uses the Pistol Whip animation, BUT I'm actually okay with this because I use the Zakuul Pistol with the Bayonet on it. So when it does bug and use the Pistol Whip animation, it actually just looks like I'm slashing them with the Bayonet. I actually prefer it bug out more because of it (lol). It seems to only bug out against non-humanoid enemies, which is ironic.

- I still hate the surrender animation. There's nothing buggy about it. I just don't like it.

- My choice of pistol matters in cutscenes, and it also helps that the voice for the Smuggler is pretty nice.

Operative:

- Knife animations are pretty neat.

- The lack of use on the rifle is somewhat countered by Mobile Strategies so that helps.

- I still hate the Kolto Droid animation because it doesn't follow the Operative (or anyone) right. If I use Exfiltrate or any sort of mobility, I end up far ahead of the healing droids and they are just floating around nowhere near me. It really wigs me out. I much prefer the animation of Slow-Release Medpac.

- In cutscenes, it's odd that he will whip out the "cutscene pistol" and personally, I don't like the voice on the Agent anywhere near as much as I like the voice on the Smuggler.

I still can't pick who I will main for the life of me.

• 4 months later...
I feel like the reason it ended up like this was because in the original class design, they could still shoot from cover. Then all of a sudden they moved them to be more melee-centric and suddenly their main weapons saw far less use.

I've gotten used to Mobile Strategies on my Operative so it isn't as big of deal anymore. However, I still have some gripes/approvals:

Scoundrel:

- The Bludgeon animation sometimes bugs out and uses the Pistol Whip animation, BUT I'm actually okay with this because I use the Zakuul Pistol with the Bayonet on it. So when it does bug and use the Pistol Whip animation, it actually just looks like I'm slashing them with the Bayonet. I actually prefer it bug out more because of it (lol). It seems to only bug out against non-humanoid enemies, which is ironic.

- I still hate the surrender animation. There's nothing buggy about it. I just don't like it.

- My choice of pistol matters in cutscenes, and it also helps that the voice for the Smuggler is pretty nice.

Operative:

- Knife animations are pretty neat.

- The lack of use on the rifle is somewhat countered by Mobile Strategies so that helps.

- I still hate the Kolto Droid animation because it doesn't follow the Operative (or anyone) right. If I use Exfiltrate or any sort of mobility, I end up far ahead of the healing droids and they are just floating around nowhere near me. It really wigs me out. I much prefer the animation of Slow-Release Medpac.

- In cutscenes, it's odd that he will whip out the "cutscene pistol" and personally, I don't like the voice on the Agent anywhere near as much as I like the voice on the Smuggler.

I still can't pick who I will main for the life of me.

last one really pisses me off. Like why the F am i using a pistol in cutscenes? I dont use a damn pistol. I want to see my gear in cutscenes that is part of the fun with my sith or any other class -- is that you can see their gear in animations--

• 4 weeks later...
last one really pisses me off. Like why the F am i using a pistol in cutscenes? I dont use a damn pistol. I want to see my gear in cutscenes that is part of the fun with my sith or any other class -- is that you can see their gear in animations--

I can understand why. It would look awkward for a Sniper or a Commando to pull out a giant sniper rifle/assault cannon just to shoot one person, especially when they have to do it quickly. I just wish it didn’t then suddenly disappear when the cutscene was over.

I would to change The Scoundrel remote control-style animations with the "Defense Screen" wrist-operated probe animations

The current Scoundrel remote control-style animations are the following:

• Diagnostic Scan

• Kolto Pack

• Slow-Release Med-Pack

• Blood Boiler

Please consider swapping with animations with wrist mounted "Defense Screen" style probe and sound effects.

Or the Operative variants.

In regards to the "Surrender" animation - of which should absolutely be changed - consider using a "throw down" or "break table" style movement over the "hands up" movement.

Or reuse the skedaddle animation the Gunslinger has.

Edited by jimmorrisson

I love both classes a lot but Scoundrel is just a little more enjoyable in terms of animations, personally (Big fan of the gun slinging, bare-knucle boxing, cowboy class fantasy they're going for).

The biggest things that put me off the operative are shooting a rifle in close range (and the fact that u use a pistol throughout the story but can never use or customize it), and the healing probes having a very questionable animation where they constantly float around u and vomit green healing stuff on u, as opposed to the scoundrel version where a probe appears, injects some healing stuff, and quickly goes away (much easier on the eyes).

That being said they are both awesome classes and you really can't go wrong with either.