Predictions regarding the most popular crafting skill?

Ashnazg

Great, I realized that the reusables were BOP and would require me to keep the craft, I was really curious if some of the other items also required Biochem as, if they did, it really seemed like a dead end craft. While the stims look really nice, a craft that can't net you any money and eventually produces items you never have to replace seemed silly.

While the heals will certainly help if OOM, I don't plan to go OOM except if a pull goes really bad, but yes, the med packs can certainly help in that regard, just not nearly as much as they would help a non-healer.

Since it sounds like the consumables are sellable, I'll probably wind up going Biochem.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to twink items between your toons, like sending items through mail system or similar between characters?

Also, shouldn't player economy self-nerf biochem? I mean, if /everyone/ does it, then noone will be interested in buying them, which means market prices will be lower than production costs, which means people will stop making them and go another craft instead, balancing it out over time.

Biochem is about utility and convenience not just money. As a raider it's nice to be able to minimize the amount of time you spend grinding up consumables or farming the AH/GTN. As a healer I like being able to hand out medkits to people as well. Not having to worry about supply is wonderful. You don't have to hesitate to pop a medkit or adrenal, you can just pop them whenever you feel like it.

Twinking is possible except on some high end recipe's that are BoP or require the trade skill to use.

ETA: It's not about going OOM. As a bodyguard, trooper, smuggler, agent you want to stay in your peak regeneration zone eg, 0-40 heat. Because your energy regenerates at 5/tick in the first bracket, 3/tic second bracket and 2/tick final bracket. That's only a couple heals if somebody takes some burst damage. The medkit allows you to stay within this zone in some situations :)

Edited by Darinford

I was 400 synth in beta, and with the latest change to UT in december build, I decided I'll drop it (it decoupled silk from metal missions and seemed to remove rich yield missions from the list of available ones. E.g. pre-patch I had 3 to 4 missions for grade 6 silks I could send my companions to at any given time (rich, abundant, mediocre, etc), after patch it was only one mediocre one).

Pre-change I accumulated enough purple silks to craft one purple item (its 8 purple silks, at 1 hour per mission, it took a while to get 8 silks with 3-4 available missions, it'll take eternity with only 1) and it was basically worse than what you could get from a hardmode flashpoint. I suppose if you end up critically crafting one with an extra slot it'll be better, but I don t have the patience for that.

Biochem consumables (5.5k instant heal + residual heal HOT) or Cybertech grenades (additional CC) seem to be infinitely more useful for PvP purposes, which I'll be doing a lot of, so I think I'll stick with that.

And here I thought I was being clever about going Biochem.

I was operating under the assumption that the average player would choose a craft skill that carried implied boosts to that player's role.

Is the main impetus for choosing Bio credits, or BoPs? The tilt of this thread is that this skill will be a money maker, so then are the other skills money sinks? I say no.

Here's some comments posted on Torhead regarding Slicing:

"Slicing is one of the crew skills, you level it up mostly be opening lock boxes on the ground and most of the rewards are credits. This profession generates a lot of credits. "

"It also yields one kind of item modification called augments. I have only seen tank stats on augments so far."

"Slicing, like some of the other "gathering" Crew Skills, can be used in Flashpoints to hack a door or turn on a deactivated lift in order to create a shortcut. These aren't necessary to the completion of the Flashpoint but allow you to skip a couple groups of mobs."

Slicing also discovers Cybertech schematics. That sounds like a useful and most definitely profitable skill.

BW has put some thought into their crafting skills and to assume one skill can be generalized as better than the other is a bit shortsighted.

/e raises guilty hand

Well, as for me I plan on playing Commando DPS and like to fancy myself as a smart player. I don't like taking damage, I don't like sticky spots. I just like blowing stuff up.

So I think I'll go Cybertech for extra nades or Armstech for more pewpew.

during beta i didnt get time to mess with the crew skills much.. but after checking out http://www.torhead.com

I figured out what i wanted to do

im thinking Artifice .. Jedi/Sith Light sabers might be in high demand toward end game. and theirs always a profit to be made from low lvl rares for Twinks or just plan new players .. Ill assume that there will be a influx of accounts after Christmas so what ever crew skills ppl chose im betting the money making time will be around then . =)

But i say Biochem will be popular ... Stims will be weres its at

Pretty sure once people realize how cheap high level stims and adrenals are then bio-chem will be less attractive. Seriously the mats to make one requires like 4 things, 4 things that are very easy to come by. We are talking pocket changes, specially with the amount of people going bio-chem and the market being flooded with needed but abundant amount of stims and adrenals. So bio-chem wont be of any use to make a profit, and the amount of money you will save from having reusables is far less then the amount of money you would make selling mods or different items from other professions. Bio-chem isn't bad, but it is by far the worst choice you could make in a game that just started out.

Pretty sure once people realize how cheap high level stims and adrenals are then bio-chem will be less attractive. Seriously the mats to make one requires like 4 things, 4 things that are very easy to come by. We are talking pocket changes, specially with the amount of people going bio-chem and the market being flooded with needed but abundant amount of stims and adrenals. So bio-chem wont be of any use to make a profit, and the amount of money you will save from having reusables is far less then the amount of money you would make selling mods or different items from other professions. Bio-chem isn't bad, but it is by far the worst choice you could make in a game that just started out.

I bet you're going biochem :p