Is the weekly currency cap designed to limit players from playing the game?

Banthabreeder

On Friday, I noticed that after playing 4 days I had hit my weekly currency cap for 3 of my currencies, Medal of Commendation, Decurion Isotope Stabilizer and Underworld Syndicate Plans.

I realized that there was absolutely no reason to keep playing since I couldn't obtain any more currencies to upgrade my gear. I play mostly Flashpoints and some Dailies, but with Flashpoints no longer awarding gear, or should I say useful gear, I couldn't see any reason to keep playing. All that drops is duplicate versions of the same gear I'm wearing, ie: Elite Decuring robe 322, cuffs 322, lightsaber 322, etc. Only when you complete 10 Flashpoints, are you guaranteed an upgraded piece of gear.

Was this intended by Bioware to reduce the time players are on the servers?

I find it bewildering that in 10 years of playing this game, this is the first time I'm hit with a roadblock to playing 7 days a week. If your level 80, and you no longer earn currencies due to a weekly cap, what's the point of playing anymore?

If we're stuck with this gearing system, I can only suggest raising the weekly caps or getting rid of it completely.

Other players asked that very same question in another larger thread here: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=1002782 , as well as in this related thread here: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=1003675 ....but unfortunately no one (from BioWare) has really answered it yet.

./shrug

Edited by Nee-Elder
please remember the original 'pillar' of SWTOR: *STORY* (aka content)

Normally yes, but if the intent was to actually slow players down, it obviously failed. You had tons of ways to gear up with several repeatable weeklies, on multiple chars who you can send your currently highest gear.

I'm really tired of all you guys playing this game wrong. You're supposed to play MM and NiM content. Could you please stop doing all that other stuff? It's tiring!

Regards, Keith

/s

Look at all the NiM Nefra farm, it's FUN!

/s

Arent weekly caps pretty much a standard in all mmos?

They exist for a multiple reasons like saving people from themselves for health reasons, to prevent gear level disparity between nolifers and people with less time, to prevent to get to BiS gear too fast and get bored and unsub etc etc

Same thing with reputation caps, rng boxes and ops lockouts.

Edited by Ghostius

I almost wish I cared about this at this point. My only gripe, which I've posted about elsewhere, is not being able to gain more currency from GS because the currency cap has been reached.

I've collected 739/999 Aquatic Resource Matrix this week & I'm bored shedless with repetitive dailies/weeklies so I have no desire to even try to hit the cap. Was this part of the dev team's "vision", I wonder?

But if the OP and others are still movitated for their preferred content and keen for higher currency caps, I wish them luck!

Arent weekly caps pretty much a standard in all mmos?

They exist for a multiple reasons like saving people from themselves for health reasons, to prevent gear level disparity between nolifers and people with less time, to prevent to get to BiS gear too fast and get bored and unsub etc etc

Same thing with reputation caps, rng boxes and ops lockouts.

Yeah but... it doesn't stop people from running Ops or FPs or GSF after the cap to get gear. All it does is preventing people from using the parts to get the gear they actually want. So much for the whole "RNG is bad" thing - we have to rely on RNG after the cap... and get way too many belts, arms, and crit set pieces. Which makes it even more frustrating.

Sometimes their reasoning baffles me.

On Friday, I noticed that after playing 4 days I had hit my weekly currency cap for 3 of my currencies, Medal of Commendation, Decurion Isotope Stabilizer and Underworld Syndicate Plans.

I realized that there was absolutely no reason to keep playing since I couldn't obtain any more currencies to upgrade my gear. I play mostly Flashpoints and some Dailies, but with Flashpoints no longer awarding gear, or should I say useful gear, I couldn't see any reason to keep playing. All that drops is duplicate versions of the same gear I'm wearing, ie: Elite Decuring robe 322, cuffs 322, lightsaber 322, etc. Only when you complete 10 Flashpoints, are you guaranteed an upgraded piece of gear.

I find it bewildering that in 10 years of playing this game, this is the first time I'm hit with a roadblock to playing 7 days a week. If your level 80, and you no longer earn currencies due to a weekly cap, what's the point of playing anymore?

If we're stuck with this gearing system, I can only suggest raising the weekly caps or getting rid of it completely.

Look at the max cap notice most are the same as the weekly cap? That tells you whoever is designing the currency cap is a complete idiot who is trolling the players.

Yeah but... it doesn't stop people from running Ops or FPs or GSF after the cap to get gear. All it does is preventing people from using the parts to get the gear they actually want. So much for the whole "RNG is bad" thing - we have to rely on RNG after the cap... and get way too many belts, arms, and crit set pieces. Which makes it even more frustrating.

Sometimes their reasoning baffles me.

Thats exactly the point of duplicates and rng, it is designed to slow player progress for as long as possible to keep them subscribed as long as possible.

In their shoes you would do the same, but players are often unable to see things from the other side.

Yes it is frustrating for players who want to “finish” the game faster and move to another.

Personally, I like it slow paced, with caps and rng, I dont see it as something I need to “finish” fast. There is no reward getting to “finish” line, only boredom and consequential unsub, only for the reason I was impatient and was rushing to consume the game too fast.

Thats exactly the point of duplicates and rng, it is designed to slow player progress for as long as possible to keep them subscribed as long as possible.

In their shoes you would do the same, but players are often unable to see things from the other side.

Yes it is frustrating for players who want to “finish” the game faster and move to another.

Personally, I like it slow paced, with caps and rng, I dont see it as something I need to “finish” fast. There is no reward getting to “finish” line, only boredom and consequential unsub, only for the reason I was impatient and was rushing to consume the game too fast.

Right, but they're the ones who said they implemented the new system BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T LIKE RNG.

If they want to keep people occupied, by all means slow them down. But at least as much as possible should be available (people like different things) and it should be fun. Then most people won't mind overmuch.

Arbitrarily limiting the selection of viable activities and using various other means to suck out the fun completely shoves a firecracker up the game's backside.

Edited by JojoKasei

Right, but they're the ones who said they implemented the new system BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T LIKE RNG.

Yes, that is true. To me, it seems like they lowered rng, but increased the need for currencies which makes the game more grindy.

Devs mostly try to find the balance between interests of many different kinds of players and interest of EA as profit company itself which is not east task.

Each kind of player is trying to pull things to their side and that is why we have threads like “too much buttons” , “pruning gone too far”, “too much gring”, “too much rng” etc and Devs try to please them all ofcourse. Trouble is that is very hard to do right.

• 2 months later...

Weekly limit is the worst of all means to gag your PAYING players.

It is no respect for the time they invest nor accepts that I do have a LIFE.

Some weeks I have more time some weeks less.

So a total cap that has some buffer - OK.

But having me restricted with a WEEKLY limit that even if I put in some NORMAL weekly activity gags me and makes my time invest non-rewarding is ANTI-Player and no respect for times and timetables of your working customers.

Damn if I decide to have some "long" day when I got vaccation I almost reach the limit on a DAY with all my alts.

And face it:

I am a founder since 2011 of course I have alts!

19 in total.

And I want to play them from time to time.

And playing without any feel your time is honored with the reward the activity grants is non-acceptable.

Reading "your (currency) earning have been set from X to ZERO" when you gain your mission reward just is a slap into your face for the time you invested into it.