Game Manager

Truckershawnee

I'm interpreting that the OP truly does mean game manager, as in in-game moderator, and not just guild leader.

Working under that interpretation, I'm not accusing the OP of anything, nothing at all, just spouting off my own general opinion about the idea of players wanting to become game managers, especially to whatever extent those players then have moderator powers to "manage" the game.

We don't know if such a player:

1. Carries a vendetta against a player, guild, or group of players

Does such a player-game manager have the ability to ban a player? A guild? Disband a guild? Cancel an account? Remove credits or gear? Stifle them in gen chat? In guild chat? Yank them out of a guild? What would be the extent of such a game manager's powers? Imagine a vindictive player gunning to become a game manager for the sole purpose of banning another player because that player ticked him or her off in a round of PvP.

2. Would impose his or her religious, political, or sexual philosophies and opinions on other players

An ultra-conservative player who absolutely despises gays and lesbians becomes a game manager and suddenly writes up a bunch of "infractions" for gay or lesbian players because this game manager doesn't like a reference in gen chat, a character name, or guild name (my own gay-themed private guild included) not adhering to heteronormative conventions and their own personal opinion about which player behaviors most appropriately align with their own worldview.

3. Is somehow hoping to materially benefit his or own characters by "managing" them (and their friends) to an unfair advantage

What internal checks in the game code would prevent a player-game manager from abusing moderator abilities to give themselves and their friends credits and gear? Reset a stuck mob in an op? Relocate a player's character to a place they otherwise can't get to (because they lack a starship) to get a datacron? How long would it take before an audit would catch 2+3 < > 4 and the player-game manager is caught?

Edited by xordevoreaux