GSF Forums Shorthand/Abbreviation Guide

Drakkolich

I know some of the new players have mentioned they struggle with all the terms and shorthand some players on these forums use so I thought I'd write a quick guide on some of the more popular ones. If people find this useful we can add to it as we go along.

Primary Weapons

BLC = Burst Laser Cannon

RFL or Rapids = Rapid Fire Laser

LLC or Lights = Light Laser Cannon

LC or Medium Lasers = Laser Cannon

Quads = Quad Laser Cannon

HLC or Heavys = Heavy Laser Cannon

Secondaries

Clusters = Cluster Missile

Pods or Rockets = Rocket Pods

Sabo or Troll Probe = Sabotage Probe

Conc = Concussion Missile

Protorp or Proton = Proton Torpedo

Thermite or Termites = Thermite Torpedo

Slug = Slug Railgun

Plasma = Plasma Railgun

Ion = Ion Railgun (This is often the case however as there are other Ion weapons it isn't always so this is just the most common one)

Seis or Seismic = Seismic Mine

Seekers = Seeker Mine

Systems

TT = Targeting Telemetry

BO = Blaster Overcharge

Booster = Booster Recharge

EMP = EMP Field

Tensor = Tensor Field

CC = Combat Command

Repairs or Probes or Heals (when talking about an Imperium or Clarion) = Repair Probes

Shields

Disto or DF = Distortion Field

QC = Quick Charge Shields

Directionals = Directional Shields

Feedback = Feedback Shields

Fortress = Fortress Shields

Overcharges = Overcharge Shields

R drone = Repair Drone

CP = Charged Plating

S2E = Engine Power Converter

Engines

BR or Barrel = Barrel Roll

Retros = Retro Thrusters

K-Turn or Koio = Koiogran Turn

PD or Power Die = Power Dive

Beacon or Bacon or Hyper Beacon or Hyper Bacon = Hyperspace Beacon

InterDrive or Interdiction = Interdiction Drive

Minors

Lightweight = Lightweight Armor

Deflection = Deflection Armor

DmgCap or Damage Cap = Damage Capacitor

RngCap or Range Cap = Range Capacitor

Frequency Cap = Frequency Capacitor

Regen Thrusters = Regeneration Thrusters

Regen Extender = Regeneration Extender

Crew

Extra Ammo = Spare Ammo Passive

Extra Arc = Improved Kill Zone Passive

Extra Accuracy = Pinpointing Passive

Extra Shields = Power to Shields Passive

Evasion Passive = Response Turning Passive

Engine Efficiency Passive = Efficient Maneuvers Passive

Blaster Efficiency Passive = Efficient Fire Passive

Engine Pool Passive = Power to Engines Passive

Weapon Pool Passive = Powet to Weapons Passive

Copilot Actives

WM = Wingman

RI or Running = Running Interference

Hydro = Hydrospanner

CF or Conc Fire = Concentrated Fire

Common Upgrades mentioned

Armor Pen = Ignore Armor, an upgrade found on Burst Laser Cannon, Heavy Laser Cannon, Rocket Pods and Slug Railgun

Disto break or Disto Missile break = Disable Enemy Missile Lock, and upgrade found on Distortion Field

Ion AOE = Hits do Area Damage, an upgrade found on Ion Railgun

Ion Snare = Engine Disruption, an upgrade found on Ion Railgun

Ion no regen = Reactor Disruption, an upgrade found on Ion Railgun

Sabotage Probe's snare talent breaks it = Speed Reduced, an upgrade found on Sabotage Probe. Currently this talent is bugged and when chosen makes Sabotage Probe stop working properly.

Team Deathmatch Powerups

DO or Red = Damage Overcharge

EO or Purple = Engine Overcharge

Ammo Refill or Yellow = Weapon Overcharge

Blue or "aww why isn't it one of the other ones" = Shield Overcharge

Ships by Type

Using ships by Type has been a quick way identifying what ship you are talking about without having to type every variation of that model for both factions.

T1 or Type 1 Scout = S-12 Blackbolt and Novadive

T2 or Type 2 Scout = S-13 Sting, IL-5 Ocula, Flashfire and IL-5 Skybolt

T3 or Type 3 Scout = S-SC4 Bloodmark and Spearpoint

T1 or Type 1 Strikefighter = F=T6 Rycer, TZ-24 Gladiator, F-T8 Starguard and TZ-24 Enforcer

T2 or Type 2 Strikefighter = F-T2 Quell and F-T6 Pike

T3 or Type 3 Strikefighter = FT-3C Imperium and FT-7B Clarion

T1 or Type 1 Gunship = GSS-3 Mangler, VX-9 Mailoc, SGS-45 Quarrel and VX-9 Redeemer

T2 or Type 2 Gunship = GSS-5C Dustmaker, K-52 Demolisher, SGS-41B Comet Breaker, K-52 Strongarm

T3 or Type 3 Gunship = GSS-4Y Jurgoran and SGS-S1 Condor

T1 or Type 1 Bomber = M-7 Razorwire and Rampart Mark Four

T2 or Type 2 Bomber = B-4D Legion, G-X1 Onslaught, Warcarrier and G-X1 Firehauler

T3 or Type 3 Bomber = B-5 Decimus and Sledgehammer

General Forum Slang or Expressions

Food Ship = A player so new or awful that is really only in the game to be shot out of the sky.

2 Shipper = A new player or character to GSF because they haven't bought any ships other then the starter ones yet.

35ing = Someone using the Hydrospanner copilot active. The name came about because when you use this small heal, it heals you for 35 health every second for a total of 7 ticks.

Beacon hopping = One or more players choose to not spawn at the start of a match, another player a Razorwire/Rampart with Hyperspace Beacon selected boosts out and drops a beacon for them. Once the Beacon is down they choose it as their spawn point and come in closer to the opposition with a full Engine bar.

Beacon Cycling = When 2 or More Razorwire/Ramparts all with Hyperspace Beacon wait until one of the others die to drop their Beacons. Once one does die he tells them when to drop the Beacon so he gets a perfect window to respawn back on the Satellite.

Peeling = The act of putting pressure on a player that is threatening a teammate.

Boy Bomber = T1 Bomber (Razorwire or Rampart)

Girl Bomber = T2 Bomber (Legion or Warcarrier)

BattleScout or CattleScout= T2 Scout (Sting, Flashfire, Occula or Skybolt)

Gunsheep = Gunship

MobilityScout = Usually a Shield power Converter T1 Scout (Blackbolt or Novadive)

Clown Car = The Sledgehammer

Tensor Crash or Tensor Suicide = The of using the Tensor Field system to give your team a huge speed boost at the start of match and then crashing intentionally to swap to another ship.

BomberBall or Bomber Stacking = Having many players play Bomber in a tight formation as to have many drones and/or mines all covering each other making it very difficult for any enemy to approach.

Gunship/Bomber Ball = Having many plays play Bombers and Gunships in a tight formation giving the Gunships a lot of cover via drones and/or mines making it very difficult for any enemy to approach.

Premade = A group of 2 or more players playing together.

LoS or Losing = Breaking Line of Sight with another player, usually to avoid them locking a missile or shooting at you.

Point or Node = A satellite in a Domination game.

TIcking or Tick Bomber = A Bomber that tucks himself into the smallest corner possible under a satellite and uses his mines as a shield.

Ace or GSF Ace = No one really knows what these mean.

I'm sure I missed a ton more and you guys will let me know. I hope this helps anyone just starting to read the forums understand a little more whats being said. :)

Edited by Drakkolich

Thanks a lot for this guide, really helpful for people who play swtor in French version and read the guide on this forum :)

*putting this page right away in my bookmarks*

So, this is a lot to ask, but would you mind posting each of Drako's lines, and then add (in italics or bold) the French version of each of those things, as it is in-game? That would probably help French readers relying more on google translate, with less second language skills.

This is a great guide. May I suggest adding:

Troll probe

Battle scout, Mobility scout

Tensor crash, Tensor suicide

Bomber ball, Gunship/Bomber ball

Bomber stacking

Just a suggestion. The guide is very good and even the few things I could come up with are minor additions.

This is a great guide. May I suggest adding:

Troll probe

Battle scout, Mobility scout

Tensor crash, Tensor suicide

Bomber ball, Gunship/Bomber ball

Bomber stacking

Just a suggestion. The guide is very good and even the few things I could come up with are minor additions.

Added those thanks for the suggestions.

If you guys see anything wrong with the descriptions please let me know as well, I typed this all up pretty fast and might have miss read or identified something.

So, this is a lot to ask, but would you mind posting each of Drako's lines, and then add (in italics or bold) the French version of each of those things, as it is in-game? That would probably help French readers relying more on google translate, with less second language skills.

No I don't mind doing it.

I'll do my best but it will take time as my second language skills are not so good, and my konwledge of ships a little bit limitated as I play S-13 Sting most of the time ;)

(However - looking at the rain pouring down - if the weather doesn't change during the next days, it might be done rather quickly :rolleyes:)

Edited by Sylvidre

No I don't mind doing it.

I'll do my best but it will take time as my second language skills are not so good, and my konwledge of ships a little bit limitated as I play S-13 Sting most of the time ;)

(However - looking at the rain pouring down - if the weather doesn't change during the next days, it might be done rather quickly :rolleyes:)

I've been meaning to make a character on the french servers is there any way you could post the equivalent abbreviations as well as the french names? French abbreviations have always confused me.

Edited by tommmsunb

I've been meaning to make a character on the french servers is there any way you could post the equivalent abbreviations as well as the french names? French abbreviations have always confused me.

There are not always equivalent abbreviations, but if there are (and if i'm aware of their existence) i'll add them. After doing this, I think I'll propose those translation or a direct link here to a French community site (swtor-guide) in order to give the possibility to other GSF players to give their comments/corrections/additionnal translations and abbreviations.

Generally speaking, French are rather confusing :D

Edited by Sylvidre

• 2 weeks later...

That's done, I hope there are not to many mistakes. Sorry I don't know a lot of French abbreviations, those I know I put in brackets (most of the time we use english when it's shorter, but sometimes we give it a "french touch")

One we use a lot, however, is for Gunship >> VA (for "vaisseau armé")

Primary Weapons/ Armes principales

BLC = Burst Laser Cannon /Canon laser rafale (canon rafale)

RFL or Rapids = Rapid Fire Laser / Canon laser à tir rapide (canon tir rapide)

LLC or Lights = Light Laser Cannon / Canon laser rapide

LC or Medium Lasers = Laser Cannon / Canon laser

Quads = Quad Laser Cannon / Quadricanon laser (Quadri ou Quadricanon)

HLC or Heavys = Heavy Laser Cannon / Canon laser lourd (Canon lourd)

Secondaries weapons / Armes secondaires

Clusters = Cluster Missile / Missiles à fragmentation (Missiles frag)

Pods or Rockets = Rocket Pods / Modules de roquette (roquette)

Sabo or Troll Probe = Sabotage Probe / Sonde de sabotage

Conc = Concussion Missile / Missiles assomants

Protorp or Proton = Proton Torpedo / Torpilles à protons

Thermite or Termites = Thermite Torpedo / Torpille Thermite

(for the raiguns below, we often remove"électromagétique")

Slug = Slug Railgun / Canon élecromagnétique à balles perforantes

Plasma = Plasma Railgun / Canon électromagnétique à plasma

Ion = Ion Railgun (This is often the case however as there are other Ion weapons it isn't always so this is just the most common one) / Canon électromagnétique ionique, le plus souvent

Seis or Seismic = Seismic Mine / Mines sismiques

Seekers = Seeker Mine / Mines chercheuses

Systems / Systèmes

TT = Targeting Telemetry / Télémétrie de visée (télémétrie ou TT)

BO = Blaster Overcharge / Surcharge de blaster (surcharge)

Booster = Booster Recharge / Recharge postcombustion

EMP = EMP Field / Champ électromagnétique

Tensor = Tensor Field / Champ tensoriel

CC = Combat Command / Commande de combat (CC I think)

Repairs or Probes or Heals (when talking about an Imperium or Clarion) = Repair Probes / Sondes et drônes de réparation

Shields / Boucliers

Disto or DF = Distortion Field / Champ de distortion

QC = Quick Charge Shields / Charge rapide de bouclier

Directionals = Directional Shields / Bouclier directionnel

Feedback = Feedback Shields / Bouclier rétroactif

Fortress = Fortress Shields / Bouclier forteresse

Overcharges = Overcharge Shields / Bouclier surchargé

R drone = Repair Drone / Drône de réparartion (Drône de répa ou répa)

CP = Charged Plating / Blindage chargé

S2E = Engine Power Converter / Convertisseur de puissance moteur

Engines / Moteurs

BR or Barrel = Barrel Roll / Tonneau

Retros = Retro Thrusters / Retropropulseurs

K-Turn or Koio = Koiogran Turn / Volte-face kioiograne (Volte-face)

PD or Power Die = Power Dive / Grand plongeon

Beacon or Bacon or Hyper Beacon or Hyper Bacon = Hyperspace Beacon / Balise d'hyperespace (Balise)

InterDrive or Interdiction = Interdiction Drive / Propulseur d'interdiction

Minors / Composants secondaires

Lightweight = Lightweight Armor / Blindage poids-plume

Deflection = Deflection Armor / Blindage de déflexion

DmgCap or Damage Cap = Damage Capacitor / Condensateur de dégâts

RngCap or Range Cap = Range Capacitor / Condensateur de portée

Frequency Cap = Frequency Capacitor / Condensateur de cadence

Regen Thrusters = Regeneration Thrusters / Propulseurs de régénération

Regen Extender = Regeneration Extender / Extension de régénration

Crew / Equipage

Extra Ammo = Spare Ammo Passive / Munitions de secours

Extra Arc = Improved Kill Zone Passive / Zone meutrière améliorée

Extra Accuracy = Pinpointing Passive / Localisation

Extra Shields = Power to Shields Passive / Puissance aux boucliers

Evasion Passive = Response Turning Passive / Réglages réactifs

Engine Efficiency Passive = Efficient Maneuvers Passive / Manoeuvres efficaces

Blaster Efficiency Passive = Efficient Fire Passive / Tirs efficaces

Engine Pool Passive = Power to Engines Passive / Puissance aux moteurs

Weapon Pool Passive = Power to Blasters Passive / Puissance aux blasters

Copilot Actives / Compétences actives de copilote

WM = Wingman / Ailier

RI or Running = Running Interference / Interférences

Hydro = Hydrospanner / Hydroclé

CF or Conc Fire = Concentrated Fire / Tir Canalisé

Common Upgrades mentioned / Améliorations (amélio) souvent mentionnées

Armor Pen = Ignore Armor, an upgrade found on Burst Laser Cannon, Heavy Laser Cannon, Rocket Pods and Slug Railgun /// Ignorer le blindage << amélioration de canon rafale et canon lourd

Disto break or Disto Missile break = Disable Enemy Missile Lock, and upgrade found on Distortion Field /// Désactivation de verrouillage de missile ennemi (Délockage / Déverouillage) << amélioration du champ de distortion

Ion AOE = Hits do Area Damage, an upgrade found on Ion Railgun / Dégâts de zone à chaque impact << amélioraion du canon électromagnétique ionique

Ion Snare = Engine Disruption, an upgrade found on Ion Railgun / Disruption de moteur << amélioraion du canon électromagnétique ionique

Ion no regen = Reactor Disruption, an upgrade found on Ion Railgun / Disruption de réacteur << amélioraion du canon électromagnétique ionique

Sabotage Probe's snare talent breaks it = Speed Reduced, an upgrade found on Sabotage Probe. Currently this talent is bugged and when chosen makes Sabotage Probe stop working properly. / Visse réduite / << amélioraion de la sonde de sabotage actuellement buggée

Team Deathmatch Powerups / Bonus en match à mort (DM)

DO or Red = Damage Overcharge / Surcharge de dégâts (Surcharge)/I]

EO or Purple = Engine Overcharge / Surcharge de moteur

Ammo Refill or Yellow = Weapon Overcharge / Surcharge d'arme

Blue or Useless = Shield Overcharge / Surcharge de bouclier

Ships by Type / Vaisseaux par type

Using ships by Type has been a quick way identifying what ship you are talking about without having to type every variation of that model for both factions. / Permet d'identifier rapidement le type de vaisseau dont on parle

T1 or Type 1 Scout = S-12 Blackbolt and Novadive / Eclair noir S-12 et Novadive

T2 or Type 2 Scout = S-13 Sting, IL-5 Ocula, Flashfire and IL-5 Skybolt / Bourdon, Ocula IL-5, Flash, Foudre IL-5

T3 or Type 3 Scout = S-SC4 Bloodmark and Spearpoint / Marque de sang, Fer-de-Lance

T1 or Type 1 Strikefighter = F=T6 Rycer, TZ-24 Gladiator, F-T8 Starguard and TZ-24 Enforcer / Rycer FT-6, Gladiateur TZ-24, Gardien Stellaire FT-8, Justicier TZ-24

T2 or Type 2 Strikefighter = F-T2 Quell and F-T6 Pike / Quell FT-2, Oiseau-de-proie FT-6

T3 or Type 3 Strikefighter = FT-3C Imperium and FT-7B Clarion / Imperium FT-3C, Héraut FT-7B

T1 or Type 1 Gunship = GSS-3 Mangler, VX-9 Mailoc, SGS-45 Quarrel and VX-9 Redeemer / Mutilateur GSS-3, Mailoc VX-9

T2 or Type 2 Gunship = GSS-5C Dustmaker, K-52 Demolisher, SGS-41B Comet Breaker, K-52 Strongarm / Annihilateur GSS-5C, Démolisseur K-52, Brise-Comète SGS-41B, Bélier K-52

T3 or Type 3 Gunship = GSS-4Y Jurgoran and SGS-S1 Condor / Jurgoran GSS-4Y, Condor SGS-S1

T1 or Type 1 Bomber = M-7 Razorwire and Rampart Mark Four / Couperet M-7 et Rempart Type 4

T2 or Type 2 Bomber = B-4D Legion, G-X1 Onslaught, Warcarrier and G-X1 Firehauler / Légion B-4D, Assaillant G-X1, Porte-guerre, Pyro G-X1

T3 or Type 3 Bomber = B-5 Decimus and Sledgehammer / Decimus B-5 et Massue

General Forum Slang or Expressions / Argot/jargon et expressions classiques sur les forums

Food Ship = A player so new or awful that is really only in the game to be shot out of the sky. Chair à canon

2 Shipper = A new player or character to GSF because they haven't bought any ships other then the starter ones yet. / "2 Vaisseaux"

35ing = Someone using the Hydrospanner copilot active. The name came about because when you use this small heal, it heals you for 35 health every second for a total of 7 ticks. / Joueur utilisant l'Hydroclé << 35 de santé par tick

Beacon hopping = One or more players choose to not spawn at the start of a match, another player a Razorwire/Rampart with Hyperspace Beacon selected boosts out and drops a beacon for them. Once the Beacon is down they choose it as their spawn point and come in closer to the opposition with a full Engine bar. / Joueur(s) attendant qu'une balise d'hyperespace soit posée pour entrer en jeu (no equivalent in French as far as I know)

Beacon Cycling = When 2 or More Razorwire/Ramparts all with Hyperspace Beacon wait until one of the others die to drop their Beacons. Once one does die he tells them when to drop the Beacon so he gets a perfect window to respawn back on the Satellite. / Attendre la mort d'un joueur pour placer une balise d'hyperespace pour qu'il puisse respawn sur le satellite (no equivalent in French as far as I know)

Peeling = The act of putting pressure on a player that is threatening a teammate. / Focus d'un joueur qui attaque un membre de la team (no equivalent in French as far as I know)

Boy Bomber = T1 Bomber (Razorwire or Rampart) / Couperet M-7 et Rempart Type 4 (no equivalent in French as far as I know)

Girl Bomber = T2 Bomber (Legion or Warcarrier) / Légion B-4D et Porte-guerre (no equivalent in French as far as I know, could be Bomber Barbie ^^)

BattleScout or CattleScout= T2 Scout (Sting, Flashfire, Occula or Skybolt) / Bourdon, Flash, Ocula et Foudre (no equivalent in French as far as I know)

Gunsheep = Gunship / Vaisseau Armé (VA) (no equivalent in French as far as I know)

MobilityScout = Usually a Shield power Converter T1 Scout (Blackbolt or Novadive) / le plus souvent un éclaireur utilisant le convertisseur de puissance moteur (Eclair noir ou Novadive) (no equivalent in French as far as I know)

Tensor Crash or Tensor Suicide = The of using the Tensor Field system to give your team a huge speed boost at the start of match and then crashing intentionally to swap to another ship. / Utilisation du champ tenseur en début de partie pour donner un boost de vitesse à la team, puis crasher son viasseau intentionnellement pour changer de vaisseau (no equivalent in French as far as I know)

BomberBall or Bomber Stacking = Having many players play Bomber in a tight formation as to have many drones and/or mines all covering each other making it very difficult for any enemy to approach. / Avoir de nombreux bombardiers packés avec un champ de mines/drones se couvrant les uns les autres, rendant l'approche des ennemis très difficile (no equivalent in French as far as I know)

Gunship/Bomber Ball = Having many plays play Bombers and Gunships in a tight formation giving the Gunships a lot of cover via drones and/or mines making it very difficult for any enemy to approach. / Avoir de nombreux bombardiers et vaisseaux armés en formation serrée, rendant l'approche des ennemis très difficile (no equivalent in French as far as I know)

Premade = A group of 2 or more players playing together. / Joueurs groupés "taggant" ensemble (premade)

LoS or Losing = Breaking Line of Sight with another player, usually to avoid them locking a missile or shooting at you. Sortir du champ de vision d'un ennemi pour éviter d'être locké par un missile ou de se faire tirer dessus. (no equivalent in French as far as I know ... maybe "se planquer")

Point or Node = A satellite in a Domination game. / Satellite en partie de domination (Point)

TIcking or Tick Bomber = A Bomber that tucks himself into the smallest corner possible under a satellite and uses his mines as a shield. / Un bomber se planquant dans un recoin sous un satellite utilisant ses mines et drônes comme rempart. (no equivalent in French as far as I know... maybe "campeur" ou "campouse")

Edited by Sylvidre

I'm not sure about calling the Blue Powerup "Useless". That's a bit hyperbolic, and you don't want newbies thinking they actually shouldn't pick it up if it comes across their path.

It reduces shield regen delay to 0 and doubles base regen rate. This means that every instant you are not being hit, Scouts regen 130/second, Bombers regen 150/second, Gunships regen 170/second, and Strikes regen 180/second. On Distortion Field, it's not amazing since your capacity is capped at 1430, but on shields with larger capacity (like S2E, Feedback, Directional, Overcharged and Charged Plating), it actually increases your effective hit points considerably, allowing you to eat many consecutive Seeker Mines and Cluster Missiles (though the latter will have a little piercing).

And while this is probably only relevant for me, Blue Powerup is actually super useful on a S2E Scout--since it makes the regen delay zero, it means you can use S2E "for free" without any cumulative loss of shield. Flying around with nigh-unlimited boost and 1755 shield on each arc makes for a pretty difficult target for anyone but a Gunship to hurt. It allows me to dive into Warcarrier nests, get kills, and come out the other side.

Edited by Nemarus

This is an awesome list.

I've been flying since the beginning and, admittedly, I didin't what some of those were. Figured out most, forgot some (happens in old age).

Again, kudos for putting it together.

I'm not sure about calling the Blue Powerup "Useless". That's a bit hyperbolic, and you don't want newbies thinking they actually shouldn't pick it up if it comes across their path.

It reduces shield regen delay to 0 and doubles base regen rate. This means that every instant you are not being hit, Scouts regen 130/second, Bombers regen 150/second, Gunships regen 170/second, and Strikes regen 180/second. On Distortion Field, it's not amazing since your capacity is capped at 1430, but on shields with larger capacity (like S2E, Feedback, Directional, Overcharged and Charged Plating), it actually increases your effective hit points considerably, allowing you to eat many consecutive Seeker Mines and Cluster Missiles (though the latter will have a little piercing).

And while this is probably only relevant for me, Blue Powerup is actually super useful on a S2E Scout--since it makes the regen delay zero, it means you can use S2E "for free" without any cumulative loss of shield. Flying around with nigh-unlimited boost and 1755 shield on each arc makes for a pretty difficult target for anyone but a Gunship to hurt. It allows me to dive into Warcarrier nests, get kills, and come out the other side.

Ya you're right I guess i should change it. :p

You should add that ticking is a no-no and will incur the wrath of everyone who sees it.

I mean as an all purpose strat it's definitely awful, however if 3 gunships are looking at you and the only way to live is to hide in the smallest space possible and not move then it's fine. But yes if all you do as a Bomber is run to a node and hide under there and rinse and repeat you are playing Bomber very poorly.