Gear help needed, brain is smooth...

Uuno

Ive watched about 17 billion gearing video guides and read tons of posts, "buy this pop gear" "don't buy gear" "open boxes when you get 324 gear" etc etc etc. So I ask for opinions here.

I almost exclusively PVP, in regs, to blow off steam. Im a returning player from year and years ago, so I didn't have older gear or even really know the game. How should I gear?

Should I use my conquest comms to buy 320 PVE gear? If so then what?

Should I buy PVP gear and slowly upgrade it?

Im not trying to race to get geared up in a week or anything, its just so damn convoluted that Im confused as hell.

Many thanks in advance,

Uuno

Yes, doesn't really matter when you open the boxes. It's a small difference anyway.

It’s actually a HUGE difference.

Do you prefer:

1. Upgrade pieces individually from 316 to 318 to 320 to 322 to 324 to 326

-OR-

2. Buy 320 conquest gear (practically free), do some PVE to get 322 or 324, then open crates and have at most one upgrade step from 324 to 326?

Gearing is a pain and you will need to sometimes use a 306 piece instead of a 322/324/326 if you want to optimize your tertiary stats, then not forget to equip the 32x pieces when you open the crate. Your inventory will be messy. Also you will have to grind for other spec pieces in order to get the tertiary stats you want. For example, I had to grind a force healer 326 head, chest, and boots to get more crit (off the top of my head…could be a little off) for my dps sets. It’s dumb that we don’t have moddable gear.

But now I have a full 326 set with zero alacrity, close to 105% accuracy (with stim), and I can share the set between all my dps characters.

Oh and P.S. augments and crystals are currently disabled for warzones. They do nothing. Level sync bugs and BW is taking forever to fix. We have no ETA on a fix.

P.P.S. No, warzones are the only way to get WZ-1 comms

Edited by teclado

First things first, buy a full set of 320 conquest gear which u can get with credits. From there u can pvp all the way to 326 purple but it will be slow. If you want 326 purple gear asap, I'd recommend doing dailies, heroics, and world bosses groups for the conquest currency and upgrading ur green gear to 324. Then open ur pvp crates, the pvp crates will give u automatic upgrades, so ur 324 greens will turn to 326 purples.

Really just depends on how badly u want the top pvp gear. If u do a bit of pve grinding and GSF u can get full 326 purples in a couple weeks.

The other bit to know that's useful is there is a way to take the rng factor out of gearing. For example let's say you want a 326 purple main hand dps weapon. Set ur loot prioroty to whichever dps spec u have, equip all 326 items, except a 324 weapon. When u open a pvp crate a 326 purple main hand will drop. You can have all 326 conquest greens and a 326 purple will still drop. I've seen ppl complain about opening crates and getting the same piece over and over again, but this technique will prevent that fyi.

Edited by Samcuu

So if I have all 326 except my helm is 324, can I change my loot priority and get an upgrade that is for a different spec? Or does changing loot prio not work that way?

Also, I have my epic tactical, do you recommend buying the other epic accessories or buying 320s and upgrading also?

Edited by Uuno

So I might have confused u a bit with the loot priority. As an example I was leveling scoundrel dps, but I didn't want the gloves for dps because they had accuracy on them. So when I would visit the vendor I would swap spec to heals to get the crit/power healing gloves from the vendor. Then when I went to loot a pvp crate, I would make sure my priority was changed to heals and my spec was heals so I'd loot the right gloves. I'm not entirely sure it was necessary to do it that way, I just didn't want to take any chances.

The other legendary items use tech frags as their currency, so u can buy those separately. I'd go tactical first and then get ur set bonus after.

Edited by Samcuu

Ive watched about 17 billion gearing video guides and read tons of posts, "buy this pop gear" "don't buy gear" "open boxes when you get 324 gear" etc etc etc. So I ask for opinions here.

I almost exclusively PVP, in regs, to blow off steam. Im a returning player from year and years ago, so I didn't have older gear or even really know the game. How should I gear?

Should I use my conquest comms to buy 320 PVE gear? If so then what?

Should I buy PVP gear and slowly upgrade it?

Im not trying to race to get geared up in a week or anything, its just so damn convoluted that Im confused as hell.

Many thanks in advance,

Uuno

I play PVP only and when 7.0 became live i started some PVE for getting the habit with the new combat style system ecc, so i farmed some pve gear. Bad mistake. It's very annoying to grind for PVP Thyrsian gear when already equipping PVE gear because you have to spend a lot of commendations for 316 and 318 gear before replacing pieces in your gear tab.

Better to start from the begginning, 306 gear equipped and then weekly after weekly buy and upgrade Thyrsian gear.

Honestly is from 2013 that i was waiting for a non moddable gera system for pvp and now i have what i was looking for. Stats are locked so it takes a few to min max for alacrity and accuracy, rest in critical is how i'm building atm.

Tomorrow i should be able to have my full 326 Thyrsian gear and i will start to farm Tech Frags like hell for augments (right now i'm using purple ones), so it might require a week or two of full pve contents play, at least for me considering how much time i spend online.

So I might have confused u a bit with the loot priority. As an example I was leveling scoundrel dps, but I didn't want the gloves for dps because they had accuracy on them. So when I would visit the vendor I would swap spec to heals to get the crit/power healing gloves from the vendor. Then when I went to loot a pvp crate, I would make sure my priority was changed to heals and my spec was heals so I'd loot the right gloves. I'm not entirely sure it was necessary to do it that way, I just didn't want to take any chances.

The other legendary items use tech frags as their currency, so u can buy those separately. I'd go tactical first and then get ur set bonus after.

I think we are saying the same thing Im jut not wording it correctly.

If I am looking to upgrade a piece opening boxes, and its the lowest item level, but Im playing sniper and I don't want accuracy I want say crit instead, I can switch class/spec before opening box to get stats Im wanting. Correct?

Edited by Uuno

I think we are saying the same thing Im jut not wording it correctly.

If I am looking to upgrade a piece opening boxes, and its the lowest item level, but Im playing sniper and I don't want accuracy I want say crit instead, I can switch class/spec before opening box to get stats Im wanting. Correct?

Yes that's correct. The one clarification I will make, is that you need to have the 324 green gear piece u want to loot, equipped. If you have that crit 324 green gear equipped and u loot a pvp box it will automatically upgrade u to the same piece but 326 purple. (Once again equip all 326 gear except the 324 gloves and u can force the drop)

I wasnt careful when 7.0 dropped and i only learned this trhough trial and error, so I wasted a ton of currency and boxes before figuring it out. The gearing process is a bit complicated, but if you go to the vendor and look and see what different pieces each spec has, you can map it out to the point u could get full 326 purple in two weeks if you really grinded hard.

Buy whichever base level 320 gear u need from the vendor and then upgrade it with the daily resource matrix that u get from doing heroics/dailies or whatever u do. The advantage u have is that now u can make a secondary combat style. So if you want sniper gear but it has alacrity or accuracy on it, just make ur second combat style into operative for example, so u can mix and match the pieces u want from the two different combat styles.

This process doesn't work for everyone because some ppl want their second combat style for rp purposes or something. I didn't care because I have so many alts, I used the combat style to make gearing as easy as possible. I was gearing a scoundrel so I turned most of my tech classes into scoundrel as their secondary combat style so I could gear as fast as possible.