Companion aggro in heals

shakytremors

Not sure what's going on but recently all enemies including lower leveled ones immediately go and attack my companion even though I am beating on them to begin with. I always keep my companion in heals and just dps everything myself. Did something change in the last patch in regards to companions now pulling aggro even when not tank spec'd or did something change in regards to character solo aggro? More aggravating then anything else especially when your companion gets burned down by enemies concentrating on it in a fp.

Healing companions (well, all companions, in fact) have *always* used the same aggro mechanics that players use:

* DPSers accumulate aggro on any enemy that they damage.

* Tanks accumulate aggro on any enemy that they damage (but more per point of damage than DPSers do), and *also* on any enemy that they taunt (the details aren't quite right, but the basic scheme is).

* Healers (player or companion) accumulate aggro on all enemies in the fight.

Note that in the above, the distinction between Healers and DPSers is based on the individual ability being used, rather than the overall role. A Gunnery Commando will accumulate aggro like a DPSer when shooting enemies, or like a healer when healing friends.

Heals generate aggro on everything, even if it's like 25 per cent of a dmg attack if the mobs aren't being hit they will go for the healer guaranteed.

That's why in fp's you'll see terrible tanks that hold only the gold star mob and if the dps are tunneling that mob too all the other mobs will gang up on the healer. If you jumping in first be sure to do a couple aoe attacks to keep the mobs on you, or use a melee healer comp.

This is a good example of abilities labeled "useless" lately being useful!

It can be helpful to put guard on your companion, or to taunt enemies off him/her, leap to them (if a Guardian/Jugg). If a non-tank class, you can do more AOE damage for regular mobs, or make sure you're doing enough damage on a boss in a FP setting so your companion doesn't end up with aggro.

If you're doing enough damage, this shouldn't happen generally, even with a level 50 companion. The exception is MM KotFE/ET chapters, where keeping your companion alive is an important part of most of the boss fights and even a lot of the trash pulls.

Edited by arunav

This is a good example of abilities labeled "useless" lately being useful!

It can be helpful to put guard on your companion.

Just a reminder: a couple of updates ago they made a change to guard used by dps that halves your base dps. So, keep that in mind if you use guard if you are a dps spec. (Taunts still work normally)

... which is a good example of a change made for PvP that did nothing for PvP while harming PvE. Yay team.

Just a reminder: a couple of updates ago they made a change to guard used by dps that halves your base dps. So, keep that in mind if you use guard if you are a dps spec. (Taunts still work normally)

... which is a good example of a change made for PvP that did nothing for PvP while harming PvE. Yay team.

Guard is a PvP tank ability. Not a PvP DPS ability and not a PvE ability. You're not supposed to be using Guard as a DPS at all. The change to Guard accomplished exactly what it was meant to accomplish.

Guard is a PvP tank ability. Not a PvP DPS ability and not a PvE ability. You're not supposed to be using Guard as a DPS at all. The change to Guard accomplished exactly what it was meant to accomplish.

That would be incorrect. It's also for PvE group content where you have a tank like in Ops and HM FPs. As far as I remember, DwT's didn't used to have guard in the first place and it was added to them in a later patch, which seemed to coincide with the VM FPs or Tactical ones and SM Ops only requiring one Tank since 4.0.

You are aware that VM/HM FP's really differ a LOT in difficulty and until they do something about that, groups benefit from having a guardian/juggernaut with their tanky abilities. They aren't gonna be as tanky as they were in 7.0 so I hope they will take that into account.

So he has a point in saying that changes made for PvP (because that's where it became a problem) affect the PvE experience negatively as well. Maybe not to the point where it becomes problematic but it does take something away from PvE. My personal opinion is that DwT's should've never gotten guard in the first place, but for you to claim that it's an ability for tanks in PvP and not for PvE is simply not correct.

And to say you're not supposed to use guard as a DPS in PvP also is a hollow statement, because they have the skill, if they weren't supposed to use it then why did they get it? Right now it makes em more like a tank in DPS output. So if your group doesn't have a tank in PvP but you do have a healer then this would be the situation where a DwT would put a guard on their healer at a cost in DPS. That seems fair.

That would be incorrect. It's also for PvE group content where you have a tank like in Ops and HM FPs. As far as I remember, DwT's didn't used to have guard in the first place and it was added to them in a later patch, which seemed to coincide with the VM FPs or Tactical ones and SM Ops only requiring one Tank since 4.0.

You are aware that VM/HM FP's really differ a LOT in difficulty and until they do something about that, groups benefit from having a guardian/juggernaut with their tanky abilities. They aren't gonna be as tanky as they were in 7.0 so I hope they will take that into account.

So he has a point in saying that changes made for PvP (because that's where it became a problem) affect the PvE experience negatively as well. Maybe not to the point where it becomes problematic but it does take something away from PvE. My personal opinion is that DwT's should've never gotten guard in the first place, but for you to claim that it's an ability for tanks in PvP and not for PvE is simply not correct.

And to say you're not supposed to use guard as a DPS in PvP also is a hollow statement, because they have the skill, if they weren't supposed to use it then why did they get it? Right now it makes em more like a tank in DPS output. So if your group doesn't have a tank in PvP but you do have a healer then this would be the situation where a DwT would put a guard on their healer at a cost in DPS. That seems fair.

This is nothing but a strawman.

Not sure what's going on but recently all enemies including lower leveled ones immediately go and attack my companion even though I am beating on them to begin with. I always keep my companion in heals and just dps everything myself. Did something change in the last patch in regards to companions now pulling aggro even when not tank spec'd or did something change in regards to character solo aggro? More aggravating then anything else especially when your companion gets burned down by enemies concentrating on it in a fp.

Hmmm. Interesting. I often use a melee companion such as Bowdaar, Lana, etc, as a healer because they will gather up the mobs and keep themselves healed while I AoE the enemies.

Is your companion level 50?

This is nothing but a strawman.

You complained in another thread that you should stop coming to these forums, but here you prove you're just as bad as anybody else.

How is it a strawman when you say it's not a PvE ability at all? I mean you did state that it's "not a PvE ability"...or did you express yourself poorly there?

And who are you to decide that "you're not supposed to use it as a DPS at all"? What gives you the right to decide which skills a DPS should use?

Does it make my point any clearer like this or are you going to use the "strawman defense" again?

Edited by Tsillah

In the past you only had access to guard if you were in tank stance, that carried with it a dps nerf. But for some reason Bioware when they decided to remove stances gave guard to everyone that can tank no matter of spec.

Given that up until 4.0? I believe it was dps had no access to guard unless they wanted to gimp their dps (you couldnt use some of your specs abilities either) its uses were kinda niche in pve anyways. 50 per cent dmg nerf was necessary for pvp and it reverts it to the old useless for dps state in pve.

You complained in another thread that you should stop coming to these forums, but here you prove you're just as bad as anybody else.

How is it a strawman when you say it's not a PvE ability at all? I mean you did state that it's "not a PvE ability"...or did you express yourself poorly there?

And who are you to decide that "you're not supposed to use it as a DPS at all"? What gives you the right to decide which skills a DPS should use?

Does it make my point any clearer like this or are you going to use the "strawman defense" again?

Now you're gaslighting.

Now you're gaslighting.

You said, and I quote:

Guard is a PvP tank ability

Not a PvP DPS ability and not a PvE ability.

You're not supposed to be using Guard as a DPS at all.

The change to Guard accomplished exactly what it was meant to accomplish.

My counter arguments are:

It's not a PvP exclusive ability nor a Tank exclusive ability and that's a fact. You cannot say otherwise without lying.

You're not supposed to use it as a DPS WITHOUT A DRAWBACK.

And that's what the change accomplished.

They didn't take it away. It was too powerful for a DPS without a fair drawback. Quid pro quo.

Now if you're going to just one line it again with you throwing terms at me that are highly inappropriate I'll dub you a troll and will act accordingly. None of this was either a strawman or gaslighting and you would do well not to throw these statements around so carelessly.

You said, and I quote:

Guard is a PvP tank ability

Not a PvP DPS ability and not a PvE ability.

You're not supposed to be using Guard as a DPS at all.

The change to Guard accomplished exactly what it was meant to accomplish.

My counter arguments are:

It's not a PvP exclusive ability nor a Tank exclusive ability and that's a fact. You cannot say otherwise without lying.

You're not supposed to use it as a DPS WITHOUT A DRAWBACK.

And that's what the change accomplished.

They didn't take it away. It was too powerful for a DPS without a fair drawback. Quid pro quo.

Now if you're going to just one line it again with you throwing terms at me that are highly inappropriate I'll dub you a troll and will act accordingly. None of this was either a strawman or gaslighting and you would do well not to throw these statements around so carelessly.

And now you're doubling down on your strawman.