Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What GSF REALLY needs

Ramalina
07.03.2021 , 09:26 AM | #31
As far as matches going into averages 20 was basically the smallest number I figured might give a decent answer. Data storage is cheap so there wouldn't really be a problem with going up to 50 or 100 matches. There's sort of a tradeoff between accuracy of the long term average and the speed with which the average updates for recent changes in skill. A smaller pool of matches makes the rating more responsive to changes in player performance, a bigger pool is less sensitive to variation due to randomness or due to "going to fly this lame build for the lulz," that might not represent true skill. I tend slightly to the quicker change side of things in preference.

I'm also somewhat influenced by having seen a fair bit of team vs team play back in the day. If you have a couple of SRW groups going up against Drakolich and friends, you get extremely high skill, but the kill numbers tend to be not that impressive. With enough good players on each side kills per player go down steeply. For one thing people are much more likely to take survivable damage to shields more often because they go evasive before a kill is landed, and there are also enough skilled players around that instead of one ace picking up all the kills whoever happens to be close and more or less pointed at the target gets the kill, because basically everyone is skilled enough to get the kill. High kill counts are just as much a symptom of poor matchmaking and an abundance of low skill players in a match as they are an indication of the skill of the player getting the kills.

In a best case scenario, where GSF population and average skill go up, maybe even to the point where team vs team matches become somewhat common again, ideally the matchmaker doesn't start getting thrown off by solo vs team fliers or by time of day someone typically is flying. Basically if I have an option to make the matchmaker blind to things that are less reliable indicators of skill then I'm happy to do that.

Personally, at the end of a match if I'm looking for whether or not there are names that I should look for in the future my ranking of stats goes: accuracy, medals, damage, combined kills and assists. Any stat can be cheesed of course, but accuracy gets at fundamental flying and shooting skills and medals gets at playing objectives (which includes kills and assists). Damage gets at how actively engaged the player is in combat. I tend to regard the kills and assists as byproducts of those factors, byproducts that are more vulnerable to variation in conditions than the underlying factors that produce them. I don't think I've ever seen someone with over 20 kills do poorly on accuracy, medals and damage, but there are plenty of times when I've seen someone that I know is very good get 6-12 kills, but still have have excellent accuracy, medals, and damage. That's sort of typical for a strong player in a well used support ship.

I do also have in the back of my mind the scenario, what if Drako decided to do a hard support "no kills challenge." What sort of win rate would that produce if solo queuing for a bunch of games? I'm wagering well over 50%. There would still be accidental kills I'm sure, but a scoreline like: 2 22 0 108570 52% 278 17, would be perfectly reasonable. Likely game-winning as well.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Ttoilleekul
07.04.2021 , 02:51 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Ramalina View Post
I tend slightly to the quicker change side of things in preference.
I lean to ward the slower rate of change, if only because no one suddenly steps up their level of play in 20 matches. That's very quick. Someone doesn't go from strong vet to Ace, or from Ace to Elite Ace in 20 matches. So by having a slower rate we do at least cover off other factors that effect their damage.

Quote:
I do also have in the back of my mind the scenario, what if Drako decided to do a hard support "no kills challenge." What sort of win rate would that produce if solo queuing for a bunch of games? I'm wagering well over 50%. There would still be accidental kills I'm sure, but a scoreline like: 2 22 0 108570 52% 278 17, would be perfectly reasonable. Likely game-winning as well.
I have kind of done this. I don't think there's any scenario where you are a "no kills" player with that skill level. Because an Ace in a support role can still make kills, and should. But I have a toon that is exclusively support. T3F repairs, beacon and repairs bombers, Tensor. Win ratio currently stands at 65%.
-Luc Nodaro
Link to My Youtube channel for GSF
Always happy to offer coaching / training for GSF.