Announcing Legacy of the Sith, the next expansion for Star Wars: The Old Republic!

DanielSteed

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like the devs are effectively removing Advanced Classes, no?

I'd say the opposite, they're just being rebranded as Combat Styles. All skills/passives currently on the Base Class (e.g. Force Leap) would have to move to the Advanced Classes. So the Advanced Class is all that matters in terms of gameplay.

I wrote this in another thread, re--posting here:

Here's my understanding:

Your character has a Base Class and an Advanced Class.

Base Class: (e.g. Jedi Knight / Jedi Consular / Bounty Hunter / Agent)

This determines your story, your companions, your ship, and other narrative-driven factors about your character. You select this at character creation and this does not change.

You have no abilities tied to the Base Class.

Advanced Class: (e.g. Juggernaut / Sorceror / Mercenary)

This determines your abilities, weapons, disciplines, and other gameplay factors. If you have a Tech-based Base Class, you can switch between any of the Tech-based Advanced Classes. If you have a Force-based Base Class, you can switch between any of the Force-based Advanced Classes (but alignment matters).

All of your abilities are tied to the Advanced Class.

Example:

You create a Bounty Hunter (Operative) - Base Class (Advanced Class). You are now playing the Bounty Hunter story, starting on Hutta. All of your gameplay is as an Operative, using a rifle, Shiv, etc.

You respec your Advanced Class. You are now a Bounty Hunter (Mercenary). You are still playing the Bounty Hunter story, but are now using the Mercenary gameplay.

You don't get to keep the Operative roll, you won't be mixing Operative shivs and PT flamethrowers, etc. It's just a decoupling of Advanced Classes from Base Classes.

I'd say the opposite, they're just being rebranded as Combat Styles. All skills/passives currently on the Base Class (e.g. Force Leap) would have to move to the Advanced Classes. So the Advanced Class is all that matters in terms of gameplay.

I wrote this in another thread, re--posting here:

This was also my expectation, based on what they said in the livestream. The only thing that bothers me is the alignment limitiation on force users. I have a LS lightning sorc, and I do not want to have to be forced into the mirror Jedi class skills and animations.

This was also my expectation, based on what they said in the livestream. The only thing that bothers me is the alignment limitiation on force users. I have a LS lightning sorc, and I do not want to have to be forced into the mirror Jedi class skills and animations.

I don't think you will be, you'll just need to meet the alignment requirement if you want to.

I think the emphasis for a player is more on the spec rather than the actual advanced class.

But that's my perspective -- yours could very well be more accurate. I look forward to the July 5th PTS to check it out in practice.

So how is the new combat style system gonna work?

Here is what I am hoping for! Base class abilities will continue to still be a thing, with the combat style abilities in addition such as..

Warrior with force leap chooses hatred so gains stealth etc and can leap out of stealth to an enemy.

Or

Merc with hydraulic overrides chooses concealment and can use hydraulic override instead of exfiltrate for mobility.

Plus keeping their armour level as is, so heavy, medium and light. so warrior is heavy armour wearer combined with hatred, making it more durable.

Or

Merc is now concealment with heavy armour, no exfiltrate, but more durable so kind of doesn't need to have roll etc.

If base class abilities are removed and all the armour proficiencies and abilities are contained in the individual combat style I think the customisation will be limited and not fun.

When you say 'a full year of galactic intrigue, conflict, and mystery' does that mean a year of constant updates with what has been mentioned just being the start or the updates you have mentioned being dragged out over a year?

Cause optimistically hoping its going to be like when Elder Scrolls Online say a year long story arc it includes 40 hours or so of story, 2 new zones, multiple new dungeons etc etc. So is that what we can look forward to, with the announced content being the start of 30 hours of new story, large zones to explore etc. Or will we get a few hours of story, then 3 months later get an operation and 3 months later get the master mode?

With the removal of classes from the story, I must admit little surprised as much of the story is tied to the class and makes the class/story feel like they build onto the players experience and make it their story. Also this only really impacts the vanila content class story had very very little to do come Knights of ..... it was one story for all. But with that decision, is this to also introduce new classes?

I never though new classes were ever going to happen with them tied to the vanilla story so much, but now class doesn't impact the story will we see new classes to encourage people to replay the vanilla content?

So how is the new combat style system gonna work?

Here is what I am hoping for! Base class abilities will continue to still be a thing, with the combat style abilities in addition such as..

Warrior with force leap chooses hatred so gains stealth etc and can leap out of stealth to an enemy.

Or

Merc with hydraulic overrides chooses concealment and can use hydraulic override instead of exfiltrate for mobility.

Plus keeping their armour level as is, so heavy, medium and light. so warrior is heavy armour wearer combined with hatred, making it more durable.

Or

Merc is now concealment with heavy armour, no exfiltrate, but more durable so kind of doesn't need to have roll etc.

If base class abilities are removed and all the armour proficiencies and abilities are contained in the individual combat style I think the customisation will be limited and not fun.

No, just no. This would be a broken mess and would ruin the game.

When you say 'a full year of galactic intrigue, conflict, and mystery' does that mean a year of constant updates with what has been mentioned just being the start or the updates you have mentioned being dragged out over a year?

Cause optimistically hoping its going to be like when Elder Scrolls Online say a year long story arc it includes 40 hours or so of story, 2 new zones, multiple new dungeons etc etc. So is that what we can look forward to, with the announced content being the start of 30 hours of new story, large zones to explore etc. Or will we get a few hours of story, then 3 months later get an operation and 3 months later get the master mode?

Lets be real here. Its going to be like 2 hours worth of story content, if that.

Another question for when the devs start replying.

When the change was made to the equipment system it was said this was so they could stop with vertical progression and move to horizontal progression. Great, no more gear grinds tied behind one new flashpoint and an operation.

But then I see comments that there are going to be 5 new levels and new gear grind. Is that so, will we all be expected to regrind the gear again and with those amplifiers all over again? Cause that seems to be the opposite of what was suggested when amplifiers were introduced that we would stop with every small new area being accompanied by a new gear grind only for 98% of the content to then delevel us to the planets level cap.

I just cant think of any game that increases the level and gear cap with so little new content at the cap or to grind to get to the cap. It used to take a 100 hours to max out at 50 and play through the class story now it seems to take 2 hours to increase in 5 levels and complete the new story.

While I'm at it the latest important update from alliance command was we have no knew news and Shae is being given the run around. As updates go what is with the wasted story opportunity and the possibility to advance the narrative. There is little enough story these days and to have update of no news after a flashpoint which didn't advance the story at all. What is happening in the writing team?

No, just no. This would be a broken mess and would ruin the game.

It would not ruin the game, the customisation would be amazing. Some online games offer many classes to choose from, so why would you not do it if you could. If they just opened up the advanced classes and therefore specs to all force/tech users, it would have very little impact.. Why not just roll a gunslinger if you wanted to play as a gunslinger and be done with it.

Edited by Darthanimus

This expansion looks promising.

One question: How will these changes affect our existing characters?

- Is there an option to change or keep their combat styles?

- Or will it only apply to new characters you create post expansion release?

It would not ruin the game, the customisation would be amazing. Some online games offer many classes to choose from, so why would you not do it if you could. If they just opened up the advanced classes and therefore specs to all force/tech users, it would have very little impact.. Why not just roll a gunslinger if you wanted to play as a gunslinger and be done with it.

Because this game is an mmo first and as an mmo it has these things called group content like operations and pvp that require class balance. What you want would completely break the game.

Edited by Raansu

Because this game is an mmo first and as an mmo it has these things called group content like operations and pvp that require class balance. What you want would completely break the game.

When this game first came I out, I still remember one of my first impressions "tanks with stealth and burst and heavy cc, what is BW doing?!?"... ;>

Edited by Savej

When this game first came I out, I still remember one of my first impressions "tanks with stealth and burst and heavy cc, what is BW doing?!?"... ;>

Sin tanks didn't have burst.....and the stealth is mostly meaningless for them outside of sap which the dps could do as well so whatever.

The other guy is wanting to mix and match classes. Do you have any idea how broken certain combinations would be? Imagine AP PT with the ability to have enraged defense and grit teeth. A class cannon just turned into an unkillable cannon.

Sin tanks didn't have burst.....and the stealth is mostly meaningless for them outside of sap which the dps could do as well so whatever.

The other guy is wanting to mix and match classes. Do you have any idea how broken certain combinations would be? Imagine AP PT with the ability to have enraged defense and grit teeth. A class cannon just turned into an unkillable cannon.

Stealth is not meaningless, it's super helpful for defending and in duels and for attacking nodes guarded by "not too good" solo visible dps and for setting up or avoiding traps on bridges or next to fire pits. But yes, Sin tanks weren't the most broken class (nerf operatives and anni maras and sorcs and tracer round and...) - I was referring to my first impressions. As for the post you were responding to "it's not going to happen" was as far as I got thinking about it, I wasn't really agreeing/disagreeing.

Along with a few other ppl posting here I'm wondering if the combat/advanced choices will be for new toons or will there be an option for existing toons to change? (A Dev response would be nice plz)

Re loadout swapping I don't think they meant the advanced combat style as swappable, just utilities/gear/etc. EDIT: watching the stream again Charles mentions swapping combat style as part of the loadout discussion - see minute 17:45apx.

I also don't think anything will be released until at most within a week before the 12/20/21 anniversary date at the earliest, if history tells us anything. On the stream it seemed pretty clear to me that it was going to be the tenth anniversary YEAR for 7.0, right in time for Christmas/New Years/WinterBreak vacay and that's fine. :)

Edited by Everrgreen
correcting info

Well it really shouldn't be an issue. They already stated that you'll be able to make multiple loadouts. So you can stamp all your gear, your bars, and utilities and then just switch with a click of a button. And locking people out from doing this in a FP is an insane idea (or in any content besides maybe pvp once the match has started). But thankfully you wouldn't be forced to switch specs if you truly didn't wnt to

There are ways around that you can exit area from FPs/Ops to switch specs and what not then comeback into the FPs/Ops. There is actually no way they can eliminate that aspect of switching it is not something they can actually prevent. you may not be able to switch advanced classes inside a FP/Ops but exiting out of the place to change is something that would be entirely a thing to do. which means cheating que system will be higher than it has ever been. Eliminating people exiting from them maybe something that is considered down the road but there is ways around the preventing of players from switching when in groups.

Something I havnt seen asked. Is the Reknown level being reset? When Command Level got reset and moved to level 999, it was said "It will only get reset with a major update, like an expansion." Well......here comes an expansion. Will the get level 100 Reknown with each class and level 999 achievements be reset/closed off? (Like the Command Rank ones) Will there be new ones? And if this will be the case, this is something that needs to be announced and make clear to everyone ASAP on the time limit, just in case people dont have them yet.

(Also still looking for confirmation for when Season 1 of Galactic Seasons will end. Is it still ending on September 28th and then nothing for 3 months till 7.0 and the start of Season 2? or will season 1 get extended till 7.0? Thanks in advance :D )

I am... kind of excited. Because those bits of dialogue like on Balmorra where the NPC startles and says "oh, I though you were an imperial" or when Zenith the Consular that he'll work with ex-Imperials because the Consular is who is asking (the consular who is the only truly reformed Imperial he has ever known) they mean more on a cross-faction toon.

If this change also comes with tweaks to the dialogue where characters are from time to time reacting to you as a Jedi who turned Sith and vice-versa, or an imperial agent who is Republic leaning (WHICH IS IN YOUR CLASS STORY) wor whatever -- this could be AMAZING. Those little bits of flavor-changing dialogue for story choices are literally keeping me subscribed and this could be that but MORE.

So hopeful.

Edited by DragonLadyK

Hey everyone!

We are thrilled to announce the next era for Star Wars: The Old Republic! The year-long celebration of our 10th anniversary kicks off with Legacy of the Sith, a new expansion that marks the starting point to a full year of galactic intrigue, conflict, and mystery. Legacy of the Sith will send players to the darkest depths and farthest reaches of the galaxy and unlock the ability to choose your personal combat style, allowing for more options than ever before when it comes to living and breathing your own Star Wars fantasy. To read more, you can check out the article we published here.

If you would like to watch a recording of the livestream, along with a pre-show hosted by members of the team, you can find links below.

Twitch - Livestream VoD

YouTube -

The YouTube video also has timestamps in the description for each section!

I don't like the idea of your combat styles. This game has not enough content, there should be content update at least every 2 month with quests and story and not wasting ressources for combat styles no one has asked for.

But may be after 10 years it's time to move on to an other game.

Addionally: Please dear devs, think about your priorities and make a plan for a turn around. Star Wars is something many of us enjoy, we want a living game with many happy players, with a incredible story, with quest, FPs and mystierous planets and places to explore. So look at other games, give us great open areas, questlines, new crafting (or make that we have interesting and not only for our pets).

Star Wars has a great fan base, Star Wars is a great oppertunity - you don't use it.

Edited by Master_Morak

Please DO NOT make power usage based on alignment. So for example if I play a LS sith lightning sorcerer do not make him/her unable to use all the lightning powers and have to use sage powers just because they are LS.

I think this will ruin the game. What do you guys think?