Just to be clear: in 7.0 I still can't actually play a Powertech with a Rifle?

BaronBS

The powertech advanced class's republic equivalent, the vanguard, has a rifle. As a bounty hunter, you would be able to select this option.

In such a case, the character would be using a rifle - like a Vanguard - and would be using the Vanguard abilities while still playing through the Bounty Hunter story.

smh missed opportunity

In the Christ Schmidt interview, he implied that combat styles is a step in the direction of breaking down the barriers between all origin stories and combat styles, but this is currently unfeasible due to the amount of animation work needed (he gave an example of how if you gave a tech character a lightsaber, they'd shoot them like a gun because animations aren't tied to weapons).

So, there's hope that in the near to not so distant future (still talking a year plus most likely) we will be able to have powertechs with rifles, sniper rifles, pistols etc - especially if players continue to be vocal about wanting it on the forums.

Dev's reasons sound pretty unconvincing tbh. Pretty sure ppl would be glad if they utilized the existing animations. Rifles from Vang/Oper, Pistols from Smug/BH etc. Like replace Merc's Mag Shot (dual wield) with Plasmatech's Plasma Flare (rifle), Unload (dual wield) with removed Full Auto (rifle). No need to reinvent a bicycle here ffs. None asks for new animations, which are also meh compared to the vanila ones most of the time anyway (Deadly Onslaught for instance). It's as easy as letting us pick a pistol for cutscenes. There is a mechanic for BH/Smuggler which replaces a default model with a picked one. I doubt it would take more than a month for a single skilled person to make it work. Replacing animations is even easier. I mean the game is not as old as Diablo or WoW to blame the bad original coding.

Dev's reasons sound pretty unconvincing tbh. Pretty sure ppl would be glad if they utilized the existing animations. Rifles from Vang/Oper, Pistols from Smug/BH etc. Like replace Merc's Mag Shot (dual wield) with Plasmatech's Plasma Flare (rifle), Unload (dual wield) with removed Full Auto (rifle). No need to reinvent a bicycle here ffs. None asks for new animations, which are also meh compared to the vanila ones most of the time anyway (Deadly Onslaught for instance). It's as easy as letting us pick a pistol for cutscenes. There is a mechanic for BH/Smuggler which replaces a default model with a picked one. I doubt it would take more than a month for a single skilled person to make it work. Replacing animations is even easier. I mean the game is not as old as Diablo or WoW to blame the bad original coding.

since the changes you want are so easy, perhaps you need to submit your resume and work on the dev team. I am sure they are just waiting for you to show them just how easy it really is to do this.

since the changes you want are so easy, perhaps you need to submit your resume and work on the dev team. I am sure they are just waiting for you to show them just how easy it really is to do this.

Hmm, mb bc I would be working on what they want instead of what I want? So what is that childish insult for?

Edited by Nortumberland

• 1 month later...

The example of a shooting lightsaber doesn't even make sense, because that's not what they even promised.

What they announced was the ability for tech users to use any weapon, sentinels to dual wield, and jedi to use dark powers in secret. There were even SCREENSHOTS of a trooper with a sniper. At no point did anyone ask for or promise a blaster using Jedi, so that excuse is just bull*** because most of the animations are using a pistol in cutscenes anyway. The Sniper uses a pistol in cutscenes....

The example of a shooting lightsaber doesn't even make sense, because that's not what they even promised.

What they announced was the ability for tech users to use any weapon, sentinels to dual wield, and jedi to use dark powers in secret. There were even SCREENSHOTS of a trooper with a sniper. At no point did anyone ask for or promise a blaster using Jedi, so that excuse is just bull*** because most of the animations are using a pistol in cutscenes anyway. The Sniper uses a pistol in cutscenes....

But Troopers CAN use a Sniper Rifle in 7.0; by selecting the Sniper Combat Style. This is exactly what they promised, to ability to for any tech class, to be able to play any advanced class. (Though the limitation to two Combat Styles per character was only told about later). At no point did they claim you would be able to play a Powertech with a rifle or a Sentinel with a double-bladed lightsaber.

Edit: About the Trooper with a Sniper Rifle picture, it is accompannied by this text:

Introducing Combat Styles! Players will be able to separate Class Story choice from gameplay for even greater customization over their experience. For example, you could choose the Trooper story and then the Sniper, Powertech, or even Gunslinger Combat Style!

They outline it pretty clearly, you can choose the Trooper story and then select any tech combat style you want. What you cannot do, nor was it ever promised, is use a Sniper Rifle and Vanguard abilities. It is about the separation of story and abilites (with tech and force still separate for obvious reasons), not of weapons and abilities.

Edited by AdjeYo

• 3 weeks later...
It is my understanding that the simple answer is yes, you can.

BUT...you would do so by choosing the Vanguard combat style and using Vanguard graphics and animations.

In a nutshell.

And its permanent. So be careful what you pick, you can't switch it later if you don't like it. You can only switch between your original and the 2nd one you picked. That's it.