Issue with the Launcher and Intel i7-12700k

digitalfreak

I'm having an issue where launcher.exe will cause a flash on the taskbar for a second and then quit. There in no error in the log file. This is on the Steam version. I've tried all the troubleshooting steps, including doing a verify of the files in Steam, uninstall / reinstall, compatibility settings, run as administrator, etc.

Core i7-12700k (Alder Lake)

Asus Z690 motherboard

32GB RAM DDR4

RTX 3080Ti

4TB SSD

Windows 11

I installed the game from Steam on my laptop running Windows 11 but with a Tiger Lake processor and it launches fine. I thought it might have been an issue with the P-core / E-core thing in Alder Lake that's been causing issues with DRM, but even after totally disabling the E-cores in the BIOS (So the OS only saw the 8 P-cores), I still had the same issue.

All drivers for everything are the latest versions as of today.

Edited by digitalfreak

I have the same issue and am running a i5-12600k. I have tried everything the OP did and tried reinstalling the game from Steam and Origin.

Sorry to hear you're having the same issue, but at least I know I'm not alone. I've attached a debugger to the launcher.exe process and can see where the process terminates, but I have no idea how to read it beyond that.

This is the link to the debug output if it helps the devs resolve the issue. https://textbin.net/tzvlrszmdz

Edited by digitalfreak

I have a friend @Reetous who has the same problem.

He has a 12700K and can't run the game launcher. Same problem as you.

Link to the forum:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Launcher-crashes-with-exit-code-2-after-2-seconds/m-p/10945906/highlight/false#M81739

https://answers.ea.com/t5/STAR-WARS-The-Old-Republic/Le-Launcher-crash-directement-a-son-lancement-2021/td-p/10939536

Apparently, the DXDIAG indicates a problem with the windows file dataexchange.dll located in the windows / system32 Do you have the same / something else?

I have a friend @Reetous who has the same problem.

He has a 12700K and can't run the game launcher. Same problem as you.

Apparently, the DXDIAG indicates a problem with the windows file dataexchange.dll located in the windows / system32 Do you have the same / something else?

I don't have anything related to dataexchange.dll in my DXDIAG log, so it's probably related to a different issue. The other thing is I'm on Win 11 and they appear to be on Win 10. Either way, the problem looks like it's specifically related to the Intel 12th gen processors.

Hi there,

probably the problem is when starting via Steam.

Steam apparently has a problem with it when programs (launcher) are run with administrator. However, my experience comes from NW (New World). :)

After I had assigned administrator mode there, the program could no longer be started. I had disabling administrator mode and delete the steam_appid.txt file in order for it to be recreated. Only then could the game be started again.

Probably similar with SWTOR. Maybe this experience will help someone.

P.S.: There are different methods to repair the launcher, here >>> https://help.ea.com/en/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-launcher-troubleshooting-guide/

Edited by Redsonia

Unfortunately, I don't think it is just steam. I tried downloading the client outside of steam with the same result. The app starts, and then dies within a few seconds with the launcher window never actually being visible. The big difference here is that I just switched to Alder Lake, but I am still on Win10. I tried your solution above with no effect :/

Hi there,

probably the problem is when starting via Steam.

Steam apparently has a problem with it when programs (launcher) are run with administrator. However, my experience comes from NW (New World). :)

After I had assigned administrator mode there, the program could no longer be started. I had disabling administrator mode and delete the steam_appid.txt file in order for it to be recreated. Only then could the game be started again.

Probably similar with SWTOR. Maybe this experience will help someone.

P.S.: There are different methods to repair the launcher, here >>> https://help.ea.com/en/help/star-wars/star-wars-the-old-republic/swtor-launcher-troubleshooting-guide/

The SWTOR launcher.exe Steam uses doesn't require admin rights. At least it's never prompted me for admin rights like the Bitraider infested one did.

Making sure this does not get buried, because in no form can I access the game.

Windows 11

Asus Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4

32GB DDR4 4000

2080 Super

Can we at least get someone from support to reply so we know it is being looked at.:(

Have anyone of the ones having the problem trying to install Process Lasso and "force" the launcher and game to only run using the Pcores?

I went into the bios and disabled all of the Ecores so processes can only run on Pcores and there is no change to the issue. SWTOR launcher starts for a second and then stops.

I am also experiencing this issue with the launcher and a 12900K. I am using the standalone launcher, not the Steam version.

System:

CPU: Intel Core i9 12900K

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 4000

GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 (Driver 496.61)

The issue occurs with the default 8+8 core configuration and with the E cores disabled. Disabling the E cores has solved issues for me in other games, but it doesn't have any impact here.

I looked at the launcher logs and compared them with another PC that works normally. On the 12900K system, the last line in the log before it crashes is:

2021-11-16 08:28:36 INFO Timezone: 420

For the working PC, that line is followed by one like this:

2021-11-16 08:28:36 INFO SpecsHash=xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx

I have replaced the numbers in the SpecsHash with Xs because I don't know if this value is sensitive or not. I can provide the output of the launcherDiag.exe tool in a private message if requested.

I was still not able to launch my game after the maintenance this tues morning, so I called the support line and I was told that this issue was being currently looked into and to wait one hr and then retry logging in. I waited a couple of hrs and tried to launch the game but was unsuccessful. I was discouraged and rly did not want to download the game again from the discs.

I then thought to unplug my second monitor and try to launch the game. I did so and was successful.. I attached the hdmi cable for the second monitor back in and played for about an hour. Took a break for a couple of hours and then retried the launcher and was successful. I am so happy this works for me now.

I then thought to unplug my second monitor and try to launch the game. I did so and was successful.. I attached the hdmi cable for the second monitor back in and played for about an hour. Took a break for a couple of hours and then retried the launcher and was successful. I am so happy this works for me now.

I tried this and it did not work. Are you using an Alder Lake CPU?

Got the same issue with the new Alder Lake i5. Be nice if we could have an update on this from Bioware with an estimated fix, no point paying sub for a completely unplayable game particularly if the fix will be weeks/months away. Fair enough if we can expect a fix by the end of this week.

Got the same issue with the new Alder Lake i5. Be nice if we could have an update on this from Bioware with an estimated fix, no point paying sub for a completely unplayable game particularly if the fix will be weeks/months away. Fair enough if we can expect a fix by the end of this week.

Yeah, I am kind if irritated with the lack of updates on this. If anyone with an Alder Lake CPU can't launch the game, that is quite a bit of people. Can we get an update on where this is from you Bioware? Thanks!