Story and Lore Immersion: Best Way to Complete

karimthejedi

Hey Guys,

So upon finishing my first Jedi Knight run, I decided to simultaneously run all toons through their different stories at an equal pace if possible. This was after I became aware that all 8 class stories relate to one another and is part of the SWTOR lore; previously I thought each was a different story with an alternate-ending scenario.

Being aware of basic stuff like Swtorista's Solo Story Order Guide, are there any tips on completing 8 class stories to get a complete immersion into the story's chronological order? For example, when Republic hits Balmorra, you'd notice the Jedi Consular class story might be more fitting to complete last, given the quest.

But yeah, any tips with that would be great! Please.

And once all 8 are done, do the expansions have a single story order for all 8 classes? (As in pick one toon and do the expansions). Or is it different stories per faction (Light vs Dark)?

Thanks!!

Edited by karimthejedi

Hey there, mate. To answer your last question, with chapter 3 comes the end of the class stories. As such, the remaining Operations, Flashpoints, daily areas up until Rise of the Hutt Cartel are going to be pretty much the same per your faction. Ilum as well, which serves as an epilogue for the original story of the game. There will still be some different dialogue depending on your class, but the story will have no significant changes. Afterwards, the expansion Rise of the Hutt Cartel has 2 separate storylines, depending on your faction, Empire or Republic. I think in terms of time, I think doing the Republic story on Makeb first is the way to go, and then finishing it off with the Empire story. The rest of the content in the expansion makes no difference because even though you talk to different NPCs and stuff, the challenges you face will be the same so you can just proceed in any way you like. After that, Shadow of Revan, Knights of the Fallen Empire and Knights of the Eternal Throne follow the same storyline, no matter your faction. At this point you can just do the story with one character because it's the same(maybe your favorite). However, it is true that you will still have different dialogue depending on your class, and obviously, your faction. Furthermore, especially during Shadow of Revan, you will have more interactions with the NPCs from your faction, even though you still have the same story. This is very different from the planet Makeb from Rise of the Hutt Cartel, which has a very different story depending on your faction. The last part of the KotET expansion is basically the planet Ossus which serves as a Prelude to Onslaught a.k.a. the Jedi Under Siege storyline. Starting on Ossus, your stories will once again separate depending on your faction and it will be the same for the Onslaught expansion.

One last thing I forgot to mention is that in the Shadow of Revan expansion, on the first planet, Rishi, there is actually a quest that is a class mission. So every class has a different interaction which is related to their original class story in the base game.

As to the first part of your question, it is not very easy to determine. The class stories basically take place at the same time so the temporal difference is very small. The only thing that you can say are different are the exact moment at which the chapters end or begin. I think for the Empire the safest order is Bounty Hunter>Sith Warrior>Sith Inquisitor>Imperial Agent. For the Republic I think the Jed Knight is the one you should end it with, but I can't really say for the order of the other 3.

Aside from your Class Story quests, you need to decide if you will do the Planet quests. They're different depending on your faction, Republic or Empire, but they will always be the exact same thing within the faction. The Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular, Smuggler, and Trooper get the exact same story when doing the Planet Quests. Similar for the Empire classes. You do not need to do the Planet Quests to complete your Class stories, but if you don't do them you fall behind in XP and perhaps more important you don't get all your gear. In general, Class Story requests reward you with the armor/weapon/clothing gear. Planet Story quests reward you with the Relics and Implants..

Doing the same Planet quests over and over and over might get boring especially if you play one Planet at a time for each class. For example, you're on Taris. First you play it as a Consular, then Smuggler, then Trooper, then Sith Warrior, then Sorcerer, then Bounty Hunter, then Agent. The Class Stories are all different, but you can get sick of the repetitive Planet quests. If you'll skip them, that's up to you. If you want to do them and play the classes relatively simultaneously, then I suggest do it by year and alternate factions. Play Year One of Consular. Then play Year One of Sith Warrior. Then Year One of Smuggler. Then Year One of Sorcerer, etc. Break the monotony so you can get through the repeats. It can also help to choose different dialogue options among the characters just to see something different.

Great point actually, I missed that. I've also noticed that some Planet quests are relatively the same for either faction (e.g. the "ancient machine" quest on Tatooine can be done by both factions with similar story progression). So I wonder in true lore, whether it's the Republic or Imperials that complete said quests?

Anyway, it's also good to explore on one's own but yeah, thought I'd reach out from others' experiences in the game.

Thanks!!

Great point actually, I missed that. I've also noticed that some Planet quests are relatively the same for either faction (e.g. the "ancient machine" quest on Tatooine can be done by both factions with similar story progression). So I wonder in true lore, whether it's the Republic or Imperials that complete said quests?

Tatooine's <Story Arc> sequences are more similar to each other than on the other "shared" planets (I'm excluding Taris and Balmorra here, as well as Coruscant and Dromund Kaas), and in any event, there is no "true" lore about SWTOR. That's not because it is outside the "official" canon, whether you're talking about Lucascanon or Disneycanon, but because (a) there are multiple outcomes in any one story depending on player choices, and (b) there are two stories (Imp and Pub) that are occasionally contradictory. There's no reason to assume that the designers intended any one of those story chains to be the One True Story.

The class stories, on the other hand, are more independent of each other in terms of contradictions, but their effects are sometimes visible from other class stories. Example: Watch the background action from the wrecked walker as you begin a new Trooper, and you'll see the Smuggler's ship arrive to deliver stuff to Skavak and Corso, while if you play the Smuggler's opening, Corso will tell you about the Trooper's walker getting munched. There's also a big thing in the Bounty Hunter's Chapter 3 that is visible in all the Pubside class stories.

Tatooine's <Story Arc> sequences are more similar to each other than on the other "shared" planets (I'm excluding Taris and Balmorra here, as well as Coruscant and Dromund Kaas), and in any event, there is no "true" lore about SWTOR. That's not because it is outside the "official" canon, whether you're talking about Lucascanon or Disneycanon, but because (a) there are multiple outcomes in any one story depending on player choices, and (b) there are two stories (Imp and Pub) that are occasionally contradictory. There's no reason to assume that the designers intended any one of those story chains to be the One True Story.

The class stories, on the other hand, are more independent of each other in terms of contradictions, but their effects are sometimes visible from other class stories. Example: Watch the background action from the wrecked walker as you begin a new Trooper, and you'll see the Smuggler's ship arrive to deliver stuff to Skavak and Corso, while if you play the Smuggler's opening, Corso will tell you about the Trooper's walker getting munched. There's also a big thing in the Bounty Hunter's Chapter 3 that is visible in all the Pubside class stories.

Thanks for the further elaboration Steve; much appreciated!

So for the class stories, I take it you mean there's less contradictions than the planet stories. Also, did you mean Trooper's Chapter 3 or actually Bounty Hunter's? Coz you went to say Pubside afterwards.

Cheers and thanks.

So for the class stories, I take it you mean there's less contradictions than the planet stories. Also, did you mean Trooper's Chapter 3 or actually Bounty Hunter's? Coz you went to say Pubside afterwards.

No, I meant exactly what I said. The Bounty Hunter, during Chapter 3, does something involving a high-ranking Republic official, and the Republic classes all see the results of that action in their interactions with the official.

Yes, I'm being deliberately vague and nebulous, because almost anything more specific would be a serious spoiler for the BH story.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to answer the other point. Yes, I meant exactly that, that the class stories tend to agree with each other, in the few cases where they intersect, while the <Story Arc> stories frequently are contradictory. Example: various NPCs can meet some flavour of nasty end in the respective <Story Arc> missions on Quesh, but on the other faction, that same NPC survives. (There are two in particular, one dies in the Pubside Quesh story, and the other dies in the Impside story.)

Edited by SteveTheCynic

I actually think someone a couple years ago tried to timeline out the various storylines and missions and determined that there were events that kept an 'accurate' timeline from forming because they couldn't match up properly. And that's not counting things that change based on faction or personal choice (like who brings down Ulgo on Alderaan, for example).

Some events happen in the time line regardless of your characters actions: i.e. Revan is reborn regardless if your character participated in his rescue (republic flashpoint) or his later "death" (imperial flashpoint). The Dread Masters are freed regardless if you participated in the Belsavis planet story. Malgus is defeated regardless of whether you participate on Ilum or not.

However, they are now doing something innovative which I hope continues : past Odessan, your faction is either doing well (if you are loyalist) or not doing so well (if you are a saboteur). I hope the duality of your personal influence on the story continues.:rak_03: