The death of the casual crafter

Cats-Eye

TL;DR: I really don't like the 6.0 crew skill changes

<Rant Mode>

The one thing that I really wonder about on the crew skill changes in Onslaught is: Who at Bioware thought that this would be fun?

You know. As in this is a game and I play to have some fun. Before anyone accuses me that I just want things to be easy, I am a WOW veteran and have played for years in a raiding guild. So I know what it takes to keep your gear up to date and that it always includes a certai amount of grinding. I've stopped this and became a casual player because the time drain became too much, and I more and more considered keeping up to be a chore instead of being fun, as it was in the beginning.

I lso accept that with my style of play I cannot get the best gear. Fair enough. But the crafting so far was a nice complement. Up until now you could get decent enough stuff from crafting as soon as you hit the appropriate level. So when I started crafting Onslaught stuff, I was quite surprised. Greens? Slicing compenents for basically everything? And tons of them, too. Ah well, I thought, crafted along and when I hit 75, i proudly put onthat new gear. Only having the first loot drop actually be of highler level than my new shiny crafted gear.

***?

It was the first time I actually looked into the changes to crew skills in onslaught, and the realization was truly disappointing. Bioware had turned crew skills into a grindfest of korean proportions. (Just for reference: korean > epic)

I also saw the anoouncement that there would be changes in 6.02, so I waited patiently. The changes make things a bit better in the same way that a cat 4 hurricane is better to have than a cat 5 one. It is still a grindfest or ... well, you know.

I'm not certain who is actually going to craft the high level gear. One thing is certain: for a casual gamer that is completely unattainable. Especially since you simply cannot level up your crafting recipes fast enough to keep pace with your loot drops. For me this is not only not fun, it feels like a punishment, and an especially hard one.

Can someone enlighten me what Bioware actually wanted to achieve with this? i've seen a few hints toward the broken economy, but if that is the case, the guys need theirr heads examined.

</Rant Mode>

You are not alone in this feeling. Even as a hardcore player, who climbs ranked, does nim raids, and warzones/ master modes everyday this system is extremely brutal and unrewarding. I have gotten my augment crafting up to the purple BIS and now my armorings as well. There is no reason for people to buy items from us when its faster to run hammer station and get drop after drop after drop of gear with armorings etc. As crafters we are back at square one making augments and stims. The other stuff is just fluff dressed up like a nice update but in reality reals its ugly head. But the crafting just like back at launch will not be able to keep up with the rest of the game, this dev team needs to hire someone who has experience building good crafting systems before. It is clear the person in charge of it does not understand the game at all, just like their pvp team feels like it never actually plays the game they are making updates for. But I do have some suggestions.

1. Make the mat count for embers and solid resource matrix start at gold quality armoring of 306 and purple augments.

2. Make all augments a 20% re chance to learn a schem. Some of them are 10% for example alacrity on armormech.

3. Allow armormech and synthweavers to both build dps and tank armorings. It is really annoying that my bounty hunter as to learn synthweaving to make versatile armorings.

4. Allow us to use a certain material to craft the specific amp we want on the armoring we craft and make it a guarantee for its tier. This would be huge for crafters, allowing themselves and players willing to purchase armorings the ability to skip rng process. This would give crafters alot of purpose and people would actually look for it especially those down on their luck.

I doubt any of this would ever happen. They will just make up some update, by saying we looked at some secret metrics that they don't share. And ignore all the pts feedback, ignore the various forum and reddit posts, not play their game, and then come out with the audacity to say that is what we asked for. Typical bioware.

They are only keeping the casual crafters down though. The strong ones are just getting stronger, as casual crafters don't have enough mats/patience/luck to get the BiS schematics.

I was lucky to get some new augment schematics early, but I also want to play the game and not sit at GTN trying to sell them, when the whales are undercutting you with 1 credit x 20 listings the moment you log out to another toon. The GTN is basically controlled by a handful of crafters who are there just to take over the market, so there's not much point crafting anything anymore, even if you're lucky enough to get the schematics.

I've geared my 2 main toons with new shiny augments, those I use for Dxun HM. The rest of my toons can go with the old 228 augments, because old ops are level synced now, and I wouldn't benefit from the better ones anyway. If I need something, I'll just buy from GTN, even if I have to scroll a a few pages and pay a bit more to find a crafter who's been undercut by those whales.

Before 6.0 I liked craftingg. Now it's just annoying.

1. It's too expensive.

2. The new augment schematics have an extremely low chance. (Has anyone ever the yellow Biochem Medpacs seen plans? I haven't even seen a medpac like this. Not even in GTN :confused: )

3. People present their things at such a low price that it's not worth putting something in there yourself. In the beginning there were only a few. Now there are almost 10 pages per char. :rolleyes: It would be good if BW stipulates a fixed amount that cannot be undercut.

In the meantime, I only craft for myself and only sell the mats. Thank for nothing BW. :mad:

[...](Has anyone ever the yellow Biochem Medpacs seen plans? I haven't even seen a medpac like this. Not even in GTN :confused: )[...]:

Advanced Kyrprax Medpac MK-2

5x Legendary Ember

5x Artifact Curious Cell Graft

10x Artifact Intravenous Injector

10x Prototype Intravenous Injector

10x Premium Intravenous Injector

I lucked into that schematic early, and it's ridiculously cheap compared to most things (considering it cost no Solid Resource Matrices)... they sell for under 5mil on Star Forge

Advanced Kyrprax Medpac MK-2

5x Legendary Ember

5x Artifact Curious Cell Graft

10x Artifact Intravenous Injector

10x Prototype Intravenous Injector

10x Premium Intravenous Injector

I lucked into that schematic early, and it's ridiculously cheap compared to most things (considering it cost no Solid Resource Matrices)... they sell for under 5mil on Star Forge

Yes it's ridiculously cheap - which is absurd given it is already absurd that they brought back reusable in the first place, once again making Biochem the only crew skill with an actual benefit just for having it on a character.

IMO reusable items should not even exist, at best Biochem should be able to craft something (or have a static effect) with more charges or a longer duration.

Edited by DawnAskham

Yes it's ridiculously cheap - which is absurd given it is already absurd that they brought back reusable in the first place, once again making Biochem the only crew skill with an actual benefit just for having it on a character.

IMO reusable items should not even exist, at best Biochem should be able to craft something (or have a static effect) with more charges or a longer duration.

You won't hear me arguing.... Some Dev at BW apparently has wood for Biochem.... and it's idiotic

Crafting was the main thing I enjoyed about this game as a casual player. But now there is no point in crafting as a casual. To get the minimum of 270 gear needed to do the occasional MM FP requires mats you can only get from doing FPs!

Previous xpacs I could craft and re basic sets of purple gear to gear up my alts to allow them entry to the occasional MM FPs or just run heroics or other content solo and be fine. Plus I could sell this basic sets of purple armorings, mods and enhancements and pull in 3-5 mil per week.

Now there is literally no point to craft any gear (other than augs/stims/medpacs) because you get better gear from running those FPs.

I only have 1-2 hours a week, tops, to play this game and now I have to do it running ****** PUGs to get basic gear instead of crafting it myself...

I'm a founder, and this will be the first time I unsub until this gets "fixed". Sucks.

BW needs to seriously tweak the crafting system.

I think Elder Scrolls Online has the right idea. Their crafting system allows for the making of end-game gear. Depending on your build, you might want dropped sets for your BiS options, or you might want crafted sets. Each type has its place, but this little detail makes crafting at end-game SUPER relevant.

I don't think a complete overhaul is warranted here. I rather LIKE the layout and how everything works. It's just that a few random things shouldn't be the only BiS endgame items you can craft. Stims, adrenals, armorings, mods, hilts, barrels, enhancements, relics, earpieces, implants - ALL of it should have a place in a finalized endgame build.

Sure, keep set bonus armor shells from PvP, flashpoints, operations, etc. as the best you can get. But the stuff you put INTO them (as well as all of the other accessories you need) should be doable with crafting.

ESPECIALLY if you're going to maintain the same out of control material requirements we're seeing in game right now.

• 4 weeks later...
Couldn't agree more, I've enjoyed the crafting system since beta, but since Onslaught it's neither fun or rewarding anymore. Please, Bioware, give crafting a make-over, or at least change it back to it's previous state.

I agree. They need to do something. Nothing should require 8 Solid Resource Matrix, I used to love crafting and had mastered all skills and schematics. Now it's just not worth it.

I hope someone can anser me the question about amplifier.

I have a char with crafting at 700 and all possible amplifier (9) to + 10 Bio Critcal Chance upgraded for a lot of credits!

But the is no difference if I wear the gear or I store it in the bank.

Seems that it is not working!?

Has some the same experiance?

Support reffers to the developer team, already posted it 4-5 times!

But no answer No solution! Simply Ingnored!

Would be happy about other experiance.

Greetings Bluemythos (IMP)

I agree, I just started playing again, my old toons are level, 55. I leveled one upto 75. I started crafting, and I can not make anything better than I already have. I had several toons with full sets of really cool looking armor, that was moldable, but there is no way to mod it to the level of the mixed bay of junk I have now. I was hoping to update my old armor. I have reaseached one purple item, but none of the vendors sell the crafting materials needed. I am talking crafting materials, not gems or metals or whatever. From what I can tell, I need to run operations, with 7 tools at 55 I believe I have only ran 5 to 10 operations between them all.

Right now I am having problems with heroic 2

And it does not help that my best companions all were removed with kotfe. Who thought up that idea? Add this influence bs, and then after you built up influence, take that companion away and make you start over.

Anyway, I payed for two months with no auto rebut, so I will be out of here. I liked hanging around the station crafting for all my toons, too bad that is gone. BTW, i crafted for all my companions too, they had items equal to, or just below the main, they mostly have no clothes or weapons right now.

Edited by Bloodstonee

I agree, I just started playing again, my old toons are level, 55. I leveled one upto 75. I started crafting, and I can not make anything better than I already have. I had several toons with full sets of really cool looking armor, that was moldable, but there is no way to mod it to the level of the mixed bay of junk I have now. I was hoping to update my old armor. I have reaseached one purple item, but none of the vendors sell the crafting materials needed. I am talking crafting materials, not gems or metals or whatever. From what I can tell, I need to run operations, with 7 tools at 55 I believe I have only ran 5 to 10 operations between them all.

Right now I am having problems with heroic 2

And it does not help that my best companions all were removed with kotfe. Who thought up that idea? Add this influence bs, and then after you built up influence, take that companion away and make you start over.

Anyway, I payed for two months with no auto rebut, so I will be out of here. I liked hanging around the station crafting for all my toons, too bad that is gone. BTW, i crafted for all my companions too, they had items equal to, or just below the main, they mostly have no clothes or weapons right now.

far from me to defend 6.0 crafting (it's annoying, frustrating, needlessly convoluted and unfun. All true).

But you are hurting yourself with some misinformation I fear: the only gear you want (or need) to craft in 6.0 are augments and augmentation kits. The extra blue and purple materials are obtained running flashpoints (the isotopes and they drop in solo mode, too) and reaching your personal conquest target (the matrices). If you are in a guild that reaches the guild conquest targets as well, you get more matrices.

Everything else is not worth it and anyway the game will shower you with it.

To gear at 75 you can mostly run flashpoints (story fp work too, though it'll be slower) vertical progression first aka you equip the highest rated items that you have and bosses will generally drop better stuff until you reach 306 item rating, then it's horizontal progression: tech fragments (earned doing any content) to buy your set bonus and tacticals, drops and rng vendor to fine tune/mix max. Btw none of this really matters much if you don't run group content and/or level 75 pvp btw. Doing story, you get full sets of 232 gear when you start Ossus, and full set of 268 when you do Onslaught for all your characters. Both are plenty for solo stuff.

In addition you can buy full sets on Ossus of the previous top gear (258) with just credits now. It also has a set bonus which however stops functioning at 75. But the stats you keep. I wouldn't advise it because you can really get the best use of it for like 4 levels but it's an option.

Between 55 and 75 you can just mod your gear with the mods sold by vendors on fleet or craft them yourself if you're so inclined. Pre level 75 crafting is fine. Doing flashpoints will also give you random drops of gear, tied to your level. And there's always heroics with their gear crates.

If you're worried about looks, there's outfit designer now. Use your cool looking armor for looks and that will hide whatever gear gives you the best stats.

I already have 268 gear rating, with level 75 mods, and gear I picked up that is not moddable. I will check out the outfit designer.

I still want to craft, I do not always want to be grinding. I had a toon with each crafting skill at max level when I left the game last time. I went to GTN and looked for the crafting material I need for purple hilt I can make. !.8 million credits for 20 pieces of crafting material. This symptom of how bad the crafting is screwed up.

I was an original player, started playing day one. I really do not think I have the energy to spend a huge amount of time grinding. I mostly play the story all the way thru, then start over with the different class. My original toon does most the grinding in flashpoints

Edited by Bloodstonee

I already have 268 gear rating, with level 75 mods, and gear I picked up that is not moddable. What I want is to take the really cool, and mostly distinctive look of the armor I had at level 55, and use mods to keep using it. the best I can do with crafting is 270. So I can not keep a moddable piece I really like, because I will never be able to get it to 306?

since I can not finish the heroic 2 starforge mission, I do not see much hope for getting whatever.

You use outfit designer to keep your looks, equip whatever.

edit: here a guide to outfit designer

also, while star fortresses are completely solable, many players find them challenging and they aren't as easy as the rest of the "heroic 2" missions on planets.

Edited by nyrkverse

I already have 268 gear rating, with level 75 mods, and gear I picked up that is not moddable. What I want is to take the really cool, and mostly distinctive look of the armor I had at level 55, and use mods to keep using it. the best I can do with crafting is 270. So I can not keep a moddable piece I really like, because I will never be able to get it to 306?

since I can not finish the heroic 2 starforge mission, I do not see much hope for getting whatever.

I think someone else answered this in another thread in General. Star fortresses are flashpoints, not heroics. The name is misleading.

You can get mods and new gear by running dailies, heroics, completing chapters, getting conquest, and flashpoints, even story mode.

I'm in support of this message. Founder, most of my toons were at 55. Was a huge fan of crafting prior to my break. got a few toons to 75, started crafting, realized the same thing the OP did. Now most my toons are slicing, investigation and treasure hunting for the cash and materials, I don't really craft any more.

Thanks for killing a major part of the game for me Bio. If you wanted to kill crafting for the average player, you succeeded.

[...] but none of the vendors sell the crafting materials needed. I am talking crafting materials, not gems or metals or whatever. From what I can tell, I need to run operations, with 7 tools at 55 I believe I have only ran 5 to 10 operations between them all.

the vendor fluxes and whatnot are deceptive, they are lower price that you expect on the crafting (and max legacy repair droid) vendors. the other 2 items you need, isotopes, and matrices, are found easiest in flashpoints (veteran, and master) as well as operations, and from completing conquest (the larger the guild the more mats beyond the basic 2), respectively. You can also find them being sold on GTN. This is actually about the same as the previous tier.

Small side note, operations via group finder at lvl 70+ now

you can get them all back at chapter 9.... and I agree it IS annoying for crafters