New playable species 2021?

YVictorII

Hi all. It has been a while since the last playable species (2019?) has been added to the game and I was wondering whether you guys think that a new one would be introduced in 2021? Personally, I would like to see the Devaronians be added and it should be relatively simple since they are quite humanoid and we already have several characters (and a companion) who are of that species. Plus, I think that silver-haired half-dragon ladies (I know, no horns :( ) would make for cool-looking characters.

Do you think we'll get a new species this year? Which one would you like to see added?

My top four, and those that would be easiest to add, which means we could get more than one, are:

1. Echani
  2. Zeltron
  3. Kiffar
  4. Pantoran

Yes, I know that these are just Humans with different skin colours or, in the case of Kiffar, just Humans with face tattoos, but these four would be easy to add so maybe they could be put out as a near-Human species pack. They would also add quite a lot to RP.

My "these need more work but would be cool" list is:

1. Tholothian
  2. Cerean
  3. Falleen
  4. Nikto
  5. Weequay
  6. Duros

I would love to have them all as an option. My two main characters I already RP are half-Echani (the lightest skin colour is not light enough to make full Echani and the white hair is more grey on most hair styles), and one of my Chiss Jedi I RP is a Pantoran (with an eye condition). I would love to have a Falleen Inquisitor but RP wise they would also make great Agents. Weequay is the obvious choice for Smuggler (for all of us Hondo Ohnaka fans). If Duros were added I am certain we would see a new crop of Bounty Hunters.

This is the list of species I would at least hope for, what's not very likely and what will never happen.

1. Devaronians

2. Anzat (probably my 2nd favorite to devaronians) be cool to have the force vamps

3. Iktotchi (be somewhat cool and possible to get)

4. Arkanian (offshoot would be cooler)

5. Chagarians (only reason not to make them playable is we have togruta but honestly the chargarians are the cooler of the 2 to be honest)

6. Zeltrons

7. Duros

8. Nikto

9. Any other near humans or sub species of humans we dont have yet or that is not listed above.

Not Very likely

1. breakdown cyborgs to every species if you have the unlocks available already for them would be cool to have different species as cyborgs

2. Kaleesh (its on this part instead of not going to happen because this 1 is actually has a chance of happening though not as likely as I would have hoped)

3. Falleen

4. Yoda species (never say it wont happen its just very unlikely it will be cause of the romance situations for and scaling down armor for the species, the models actually exist for this species as there are 2 in the game 1 in the consular storyline and the other being Oteg)

8. Voss (mainly on here because we havent seen anything but body type 2s for the Voss. though if they do it i would hope they combo Gormak as they stim from the same species if not they are missing out if they ever do the Voss)

Never going to happen

1. Wookies (dont speak basic and romance would be weird)

2. Rodians (most dont speak basic and the kissing animations)

3. Kissai (another offshoot of the purebloods)

4. Kel Dor (romance would be the reason we dont get the Kel Dor because of their masks they have to have to breath)

5. Jawa (because of their robes wouldnt change enough to give the devs reason to make them a playable race)

6. Any insectoids

7. Trandoshians

Since we know the 2 criteria for species to be added in the game must be basic and the kissing animations have to line up and 3rd for those with lack of sense must be bipedal. They are much more likely to add near humans because of less customizations they have to come up with they can just add those species with the other customizations already in the game. Alienoids it would have to be close to humanlike but not identical or a subspecies kinda like the Duros are or the Chargarians. Short species would only be added if they feel pressure to market a species maybe like yoda's because of grogu now thats the only reason its not in the never going to happen category.

EA does not lose the licence to develop Star Wars games, they lose the exclusivity agreement.

I expect there may be a few studios out there willing to try a better SW MMO. It certainly puts pressure on EA if they want to keep the money flowing in from SWTOR.

They did such a bad job with Nautolan, I'm afraid of what they would do with any other species I like that isn't just a human re-color.

Still scarred from what could have been a far greater attempt with this one. And still waiting for them to 'fix' male Togruta. I'm tired of supposing reasons on why things aren't as good as they should be, screw new canon, long montrals are in your own game!

But I'd like Kiffar if it came with new GOOD hairstyles that aren't mostly... uh, 'Caucasian'? Don't get me wrong, they did a decent job with some of the added hairstyles, but the lack of attempts to fix ridiculous clipping, poor style option for some (that afro is disrespectful to this day) and no adjustment to make hoods work with at the very least some got me feeling hopeless with their efforts.

Voss would be another, even if body types were restricted and you only could access them at later story points to not clash with the game's lore. Kel-Dor, Rodians and Daveronians get my next votes after that.

Since we know the 2 criteria for species to be added in the game must be basic and the kissing animations have to line up and 3rd for those with lack of sense must be bipedal. They are much more likely to add near humans because of less customizations they have to come up with they can just add those species with the other customizations already in the game. Alienoids it would have to be close to humanlike but not identical or a subspecies kinda like the Duros are or the Chargarians. Short species would only be added if they feel pressure to market a species maybe like yoda's because of grogu now thats the only reason its not in the never going to happen category.

The actual requirements are more along the lines of:

1. Must 'fit' the existing voice tracks: They aren't going to record 16 new voice tracks for each new species (one for each class/gender combination). Any species added will have to use the 'standard' voice tracks, so any with 'unusual' speaking patterns or distinctive voices are not going to work.
  2. Must fit the existing 8 body models (4 male, 4 female): Using a different body model will mess with armor and cut scenes, both of which are build around the current models (note how neither Treek nor Blizz show the armor they are wearing, so it's fairly safe to assume there are no armor models for the 'small' species).
  3. Must fit into the 'romance' scenes, so no weird facial structures that turn romantic kiss scenes into either comedy or horror.

The first two are easy enough to follow since any aliens that are actually alien (by Earthly standards) are only that way from the neck up.

For the romance bit to be any kind of obstacle is almost pitiful. It's an old reason that EA uses to not exercise it's imagination.

The first two are easy enough to follow since any aliens that are actually alien (by Earthly standards) are only that way from the neck up.

For the romance bit to be any kind of obstacle is almost pitiful. It's an old reason that EA uses to not exercise it's imagination.

It's not a question of imagination: It's a question of paying people to go back and edit each cut scene so you are actually kissing and not pushing your snout though your romantic partner's skull...

They aren't going to record 16 new voice tracks for each new species (one for each class/gender combination).

Especially since it would be 48 new voice tracks, because each track comes in three different Earth languages: English, French, and German.

I expect there may be a few studios out there willing to try a better SW MMO.

Not that difficult to do one would asume, and yet...

There are not many studios in general who are giving a real mmorpg a try these days.

And we can see what happens at Amazon, when you got an almost unlimited amount of money behind you, but no one who got any experience in making an mmorpg.

The same what happened with this game basically.

The best you can expect is a good start (if you release the game finished, not like they did with SWTOR).

But when you don't got a concept for the future after release you lose your players and your game either dies or becomes a vessel for your cash shop (what happened to SWTOR).

Sad thing is even the ressurection/remake of Star Wars Galaxies wouldn't work, because Sony is now Daybreak Game Company and thats a turd as worse as EAoware and Zenimax together.

Long story short:

I would love to see a new SW mmo, but who should make it?

Best thing we can hope for is the Ubisoft SW game thats in the making i am afraid.

Edited by NexDark

It's not a question of imagination: It's a question of paying people to go back and edit each cut scene so you are actually kissing and not pushing your snout though your romantic partner's skull...

Except that there wouldn't be a need to go back to anything; don't forget that the romance option is just that, an option.

Except that there wouldn't be a need to go back to anything; don't forget that the romance option is just that, an option.

Except that people do want to have the option to romance and, as such, every single playable species must work with the existing romance animations and cutscenes so as to not deny someone the option to romance without pushing their snout though their romantic partner's skull. The player initiating a romance is optional. It is not optional that all species must be compatible with the existing romance options so that players can choose that option if they so desire.

In which case BioWare would simply remove the flirt mechanic from a Bothan (example species) Player's choice wheel.

Which in turn would set the forums on fire because players playing Bothans would not be able to flirt and romance their chosen companions.

Not working DS corruption on Nautolans upsets people, and it's "just" visuals (which can be still very important to many people for all kinds of reasons). I am certain restricting story elements would not go any better.