When will someone address the lag switching exploits?

BeoAzazel

I've been a long term subscriber and never before have I seen such blaintan exploitation of lag switches. At first I thought it was my computer. A hard reboot and restore of the computer and its running smoothly. I create a new character, level that character to 70 the whole time doing pop matches of every kind...no major issues with lag. Turn 70 and bam out of nowhere whenever I engage or am engaged by certain players I get crazy fps issues and before I know it I am dead. Some of the other players have noticed it too. So I started to pay attention to who is in active combat while I am getting lag spikes like I am using dial up again. It was consistent. One player (Toxin Germ -The Ebon Hawk) consistently lagged out just until your character is dead the. Everything goes back to normal. This is too coincidental and too inconsistent for it to be gpu issues. Like I said I have spent well over 70 levels without issue. Every lvl 70 ex it's lag heaven only during certain engagements. When will bioware start researching upload download drops and sudden increases?

I'll update this if I magically have this issue also, otherwise my tinfoil hat will protect me.

So, if it's just that player, or the class that the player is using. Then you could simply be missing some files (Typically if you're using non SSD, reboot.), however if it's just the player, then it must be aliens.

I really doubt there's anyway to manipulate lag for someone by just being around them.

I noticed this tonight too, was really strange lag. I didn't even think to attribute it to any one player though. I'm also on Ebon Hawk and know which player you're talking about. I'll keep my eyes open for him and see what happens if I'm playing against him tomorrow. I hope you're wrong, but I experienced the same thing you described tonight =\ Edited by Cerbs

I'll update this if I magically have this issue also, otherwise my tinfoil hat will protect me.

So, if it's just that player, or the class that the player is using. Then you could simply be missing some files (Typically if you're using non SSD, reboot.), however if it's just the player, then it must be aliens.

I really doubt there's anyway to manipulate lag for someone by just being around them.

According to YouTube and various google results lag switching (which apparently is incredibly easy to make) has been an issue since 2012. Perhaps leave your sarcasm and your tin hat aliens theory at home. Believe me there are people who live to cheat in games. Not the first time it's happened and certainly won't be the last.

I noticed this tonight too, was really strange lag. I didn't even think to attribute it to any one player though. I'm also on Ebon Hawk and know which player you're talking about. I'll keep my eyes open for him and see what happens if I'm playing against him tomorrow. I hope you're wrong, but I experienced the same thing you described tonight =\

Also noticed it from spaghetti-tan and wowee but they were in the same match and stuck next to each other the whole game.

I noticed this tonight too, was really strange lag. I didn't even think to attribute it to any one player though. I'm also on Ebon Hawk and know which player you're talking about. I'll keep my eyes open for him and see what happens if I'm playing against him tomorrow. I hope you're wrong, but I experienced the same thing you described tonight =\

Also noticed it from spaghetti-tan and wowee but they were in the same match and stuck next to each other the whole game.

If you werent running the game on a 1999 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles wristwatch, i suspect you wouldnt have this issue. I've never seen a legit lag switch in ToR. I have seen some basic speed hacks, but thats it, and thats been really rare. (3 times total)

I've been a long term subscriber and never before have I seen such blaintan exploitation of lag switches. At first I thought it was my computer. A hard reboot and restore of the computer and its running smoothly. I create a new character, level that character to 70 the whole time doing pop matches of every kind...no major issues with lag. Turn 70 and bam out of nowhere whenever I engage or am engaged by certain players I get crazy fps issues and before I know it I am dead. Some of the other players have noticed it too. So I started to pay attention to who is in active combat while I am getting lag spikes like I am using dial up again. It was consistent. One player (Toxin Germ -The Ebon Hawk) consistently lagged out just until your character is dead the. Everything goes back to normal. This is too coincidental and too inconsistent for it to be gpu issues. Like I said I have spent well over 70 levels without issue. Every lvl 70 ex it's lag heaven only during certain engagements. When will bioware start researching upload download drops and sudden increases?

Don't listen to the people saying it doesn't thappen, it does. Usually they are the ones who are doing it and want to discredit you or they just can't tell the difference. It's been happening since launch, but it stands out more against some people because the community is so small. So if you are stuck in a rotation against certain people, you can see this every other match. It makes it looks like there are a lot more than there used to be.

What I've noticed is that most of them are pretty crap at it. You can sort of notice that they've tried to do it, but are concentrating to much on the switching and not enough on their game play. So you see it pause, have time to roll your eyes and hit a few combos, the switch stops and it backfires on them and you kill them.

Sure there are some highly skilled switchers out there and they are a major issue. But most are scrubs who firstly can't play which is why they try to cheat, but they are also bad at the switching, so they are even worse.

You can blame Bio for the increase in these cheats because everyone knows they don't do anything to hackers or its takes them months to ban the most blatant hackers. Lag switching can be much harder to prove and Bio have no systems that can detect it. It's for these reasons there has been a rise in the percentage vs population that are using them. Not because heaps more people started doing it, but because the population is decreasing in size. Not only that, there are lots of new pve/pvp people who have little skill yet and they get sick of better players beating them. But instead of learning how to get better, they resort to cheating.

If you see cheaters, report them. Have a look at the link in my signature for the best way to report them and the way Eric Musco said is the most likely to get noticed.

1: Naming and shaming people you "think" might be hacking is against the TOS nerd. Go report them if you are that concerned about it.

2: Lag switch exploits....lol. This game is running an outdated engine that is so poorly optimized that you are lucky fleet doesn't crash into the black screen abyss. There are a dozen different reason somebody could be "Lag switching" including yourself. Depending on your connection to the various server Bioware operates it could be nothing more than a bad connection. On your end, or theirs. To say someone is lag switching without any factual evidence just makes you look like a cry baby. And it's going to get you mocked by the other nerds that read these forums. Don't be one of the crybabies mate.

3: All that being said.99% of the "HACKS!!!!!!!!" threads on these forums are entirely people that don't understand things about this game. And they can come in here and roar at me all they want.Yes hacks do exist in this game. There are ways to augment things you do in it. Trust me that is a fact. There was even somebody using no clip on Harb and TRE recently in ranked like a no skill dbag. But people don't need to jump to conclusions because this game has so many problems atm that some random person in regs on the freakin EH using a "Lag switch" is the least of anyone's concern. You should be thankful there is even PvP in this game at this point. And next time consider it might be more productive to spend your time convincing your team to tunnel said hacker into the ground instead of making a forum post that is only going to cause people to ridicule you and laugh at you the next time you are in a WZ and yell "Oh no dem haxors dun gitted meh."

^ What Lennik said.

I'm Wowee, and people told me about this thread. First question: are you mentally deficient?

You'd have to be deaf, blind, and dumb not to realise that this game has had lag issues for years, probably even since it launched. Do I cry and whine every time I rubber band insanely across the map every time a jugg leaps to me? Do I start whimpering every time a operative glitches all the way to the top of the map while carrying the ball in Queshball? Well yeah, sorta, but I do it in Discord and bug reports, and after that I put on my big girl panties and try to improve the performance of this chunk of metal I play on. I don't start bathing Slalkota with my salty tears and accusing people on the forums, because I know it's not their fault and they're just trying to play their class, and that I willingly devote my time to a bug-ridden game.

You can name and shame about imaginary 'lag switching' all you want, but really, everybody knows that large swathes of the EH PvP population doesn't need to lag out to be beat, they're mediocre enough. I have little doubt this includes you.

(yes, I do take offence when some random starts accusing me of exploiting for the most inane reasons.)

Edited by groovyphilia

Been playing for a couple of months in TEH

and been doing PvP for 5 years

Never saw anyone in TEH doing those things (wich i certainly saw in other servers)

And for the players u are "calling", I faced them and even be with them in some Wz's, they are not cheating and they are not super stars tbh, so maybe u will need to practice a bit in ur toons and try to kill em faster

I think u need to experience real hackers/exploiters (like ppl flying out of map bounds or speed hacking) to understand that

Been playing for a couple of months in TEH

and been doing PvP for 5 years

Never saw anyone in TEH doing those things (wich i certainly saw in other servers)

And for the players u are "calling", I faced them and even be with them in some Wz's, they are not cheating and they are not super stars tbh, so maybe u will need to practice a bit in ur toons and try to kill em faster

I think u need to experience real hackers/exploiters (like ppl flying out of map bounds or speed hacking) to understand that

You must have a good community on TEH to not see any nefarious cheating. That must be good.

I've played since launch and have seen it all. From people not understanding abilities and mechanics to the extreme speed hackers.

Over the years both myself and my partner Icykill have done a heap of research on what is possible in this game and what's not. We belong to a lot of the underground hack sites where people actually develop the hacks and discuss things to do with exploiting or lag switching as well as real life hacks, malware, DDoS. etc.

Knowing what is possible and how it's done makes it much easier to identify if someone is cheating or not.

Knowing all the class abilities, map mechanics and also your own net lag are essential to even start to identify cheating.

To many cheat calls are mistakes. Most of us long term players have been called a hacker at some point or other.

But that doesn't mean there aren't chesters in the game. There are and a lot more than people think or are able to identify.

There are 3 types of cheaters in this game

1. Blatant troll cheaters like we've seen on and off in Ranked over the last 12 months. These guys are there to grief people and stick it to Bioware because Bioware do "F" all to stop them

2. People learning to cheat because they are sick of losing to better players and think it will help them. These guys are the ones people can usually identify because they havent learnt what setting to use or aren't skilled enough to lag switch properly. Those lag switchers really stand out as you can basically watch them stop for a few seconds to activate it before trying to continue the fight.

3. People who know how to set up or use the cheats in a way that is very subtle and undectable to most players. They are also usually competent players, not good players, just competent and the cheats they use can make them look better than they are. It's these guys that you have to worry about, not the first two.

Edit: personally censored : a large chunk of this tread was removed by me

############################################################################################################################################################################################

There are lots of other things people use besides the speed hack, but I'm not going to go into those as I try not to advertise what and how to do it. I only want people to understand that everything isn't hunky dory and just because they haven't seen it, doesn't mean it's not happening, it just means they can't always identify it.

I'd say about 90-95% of people who call people out for cheating are false accusations. But I would also say 95-99% of people can't identify the subtle cheaters. This is why we have so much contention on this subject. The people who falsely accuse players drown out ledgitmate calls and those who can't identify them and tell people they don't know what they are talking about are just as bad because they provide cover for those subtle cheaters.

The whole argument is Biowares fault. They know it happens, but don't do anything to discourage it. There is no easy way to report cheaters, they have no deterrent and the penalties for cheating are laughable. They also don't act in a timely manner to stop the blatant cheaters, so that just promotes cheating because people know they can get away with it. I think it's one of the main reasons we see those troll cheaters to start with. They just want to show everyone how pathetic Biowares actions and policies on the issue are.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

not a lag switch it is them using prnt screen on a loop macro with razor hardware a lag switch will only make a person lag them self out as they can cut network connection for a few seconds which makes them disappear. prnt screen lag the client out in your area... we complained about it nothing been done since launch

Edited by Neoforcer

That doesn't work. It was addressed early on after the game was released.

lag switch don't work here either. an ex guild of mine tried them this why i say ex guild since i found out they did this i wont play with cheater

Edited by Neoforcer

lag switch don't work here either. an ex guild of mine tried them this why i say ex guild since i found out they did this i wont play with cheater

Edit: personally censored : a large chunk of this tread was removed by me

############################################################################################################################################################################################

But I'm not going to get into slinging match of what does and doesn't work.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Like I said before. Cheating does exist. There are exploits, speed hacks, no-clipping and yes even lag switching. What I was trying to get at was this.

Don't sit here and name a shame when you have no evidence to back up your cry of wolf. Let give you the benefit of the doubt and say somebody in that match was using a lag switch. Big whoopty do. Crying about it isn't going to solve anything. Take a page out of Trixxies book and report then move on with your life. Because there is not a single thing going to be done about it. You are better off improving your skills to the point that you can global some non factor using cheats to win. Because obviously they can't hold their own without outside help. Adapt and overcome. But don't cry about it. Also I apologize for venting on this particular thread but the amount of crying that has inundated this game drives me up a wall. If you are dissatisfied with the game then uninstall and go do something productive. But making complaints to the general populace only serves to distance new players from the game when all they read about are cheaters and unfair this and unfair that.

Also in regards to Trixxie,

TEH does indeed have a great community. We have our share of trash, myself included. But as far as cheating goes, there isn't any point and the vast majority of people on TEH realize that our PvP most times is mediocre enough to not need to worry about getting outside help. :p