Can you travel to later planets without breaking the story?

Adam_Taylor

I know that if you start the expansion storyline stuff, it cuts off the original content, so you can't do the early story missions and such anymore.

Does it happen if you just go to the expansion planets? Or only if you actually start the story missions?

Yes, you can travel pretty much anywhere. As said, there may not be much for you to do on that planet, but for the most part you can freely travel there so long as it is on the galaxy map. One thing that I have taken to doing since 6.0 is as soon as a character hits level 70 I travel to Ossus and purchase a set of 252 gear. Ossus is where Jedi Under Siege occurs, so very late game, and not once has traveling there early impacted the story when I do eventually get there. Edited by ceryxp

I should also say that there's some locations that won't appear until you have a mission for it, like Dromund Kaas for the Jedi Knight at the end of Chapter 3.

That's true, but for the JK going to DK, it's worth noting that it isn't the same DK that Impside characters go to. It's two small subsets of it, and appears when you get to that part of the story, just like Port Raga and Port Nowhere and the Gauntlet and such only appear when you're ready to go to them. "Standard" planets are reachable as soon as you have a ship, with one exception.

The Quesh orbital station is available for anyone with a ship, but if you are below level 31 or so(1), you cannot use the shuttle to go to the surface because you *must* have an open or completed version of the <Story Arc> mission in your log in order to be allowed onto the shuttle, and the medical NPC who gives that mission won't give it to you unless you are high-enough level to survive combat with enemies.

Er, and yes, I know this by experience. I was tooling around the surface, and someone asked in general chat how to get to the surface. I ended up going up to the station (this was on Impside, where getting back to the surface is really annoying) to show him that it was ==> this NPC here, and the NPC wouldn't talk to him. The character was only level 30...

(1) All I know for sure is that level 30 isn't high enough.

That's true, but for the JK going to DK, it's worth noting that it isn't the same DK that Impside characters go to. It's two small subsets of it, and appears when you get to that part of the story, just like Port Raga and Port Nowhere and the Gauntlet and such only appear when you're ready to go to them. "Standard" planets are reachable as soon as you have a ship, with one exception.

Zakuul, Iokath, and Darvannis are not added to the map until they appear in the story (or are skipped). But, they may not fall into the category of "standard" planets.

Zakuul, Iokath, and Darvannis are not added to the map until they appear in the story (or are skipped). But, they may not fall into the category of "standard" planets.

That would be my analysis. I was thinking of "standard" meaning "class story" and other "earlier in the story than KotFE" stuff.

Er, and yes, I know this by experience. I was tooling around the surface, and someone asked in general chat how to get to the surface. I ended up going up to the station (this was on Impside, where getting back to the surface is really annoying) to show him that it was ==> this NPC here, and the NPC wouldn't talk to him. The character was only level 30...

(1) All I know for sure is that level 30 isn't high enough..

It's level 32(?)-34 for Quesh. I couldn't land on the surface of Quesh at level 31.

It's level 32(?)-34 for Quesh. I couldn't land on the surface of Quesh at level 31.

Well, you know how it is. You are X many years old and everyone freaks out if you inhale toxic chemicals, but as soon as you are X+1 years it suddenly becomes okay.

Thanks all. Yeah, I was told in game that it was safe to travel to later worlds without breaking story as long as you don't actually take any quests (likely just the "story" quests, but they said not to do any to be safe).

I was actually doing the Paxton Rall thing, where you have to meet him in every cantina. So I wanted to jump ahead planets.

Problem is, the last location I need is Zakuul. And it's not on the galaxy map.

Is it possible to get summoned there if you have a guildmate who is able to go there? And would THAT affect the story in any way? Or would it still be safe?

Basically, I was hoping to try and unlock an extra companion, as it would be a great boon to all my low level toons who just have one at the moment.

Problem is, the last location I need is Zakuul. And it's not on the galaxy map.

Is it possible to get summoned there if you have a guildmate who is able to go there? And would THAT affect the story in any way? Or would it still be safe?

Basically, I was hoping to try and unlock an extra companion, as it would be a great boon to all my low level toons who just have one at the moment.

I can not say definitively, but it should be possible. It is possible to be summoned to pre-cataclysm Ziost if you are on post-cataclysm Ziost, so I assume Zakuul would be the same.

With regard to getting Paxton as a companion, unless something has changed, of which I am not aware that anything has, the cantina crawl achievement is separate from and does not grant Paxton as a companion. Paxton was offered as a sub reward companion in December 2018.

With regard to getting Paxton as a companion, unless something has changed, of which I am not aware that anything has, the cantina crawl achievement is separate from and does not grant Paxton as a companion. Paxton was offered as a sub reward companion in December 2018.

Oh, that sucks. I was going off what people had told me in game. I got the achievement started and had asked about it, and people were saying it was tied to unlocking the guy.

Oh, that sucks. I was going off what people had told me in game. I got the achievement started and had asked about it, and people were saying it was tied to unlocking the guy.

The good news is that with Galactic Seasons it is highly likely that Paxton will show up on one of the vendors eventually.