Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

EDIT: I realize that my original post is unnecessarily confrontational, and has ignited a pointless debate, so I will re-state the original (which follows below).

Dear People who are New to Need/Greed:

IF you roll "Need" on a drop that your character can't use, but other people in the group can, you run the risk of being booted from the group, being /ignored, and generally, lessening your chances of finding a decent group going forward. That is the sizable risk you take by rolling "Need" on gear your character can't equip, when there is another character in the group who CAN equip it.

IF you do this, some people will perceive you to be: a) a ninja, b) a selfish person, and/or c)

a person to avoid in the future.

Just a friendly word to people who are new to the Need/Greed system.

Original post follows:

Period.

It's bad enough that some people think it is ok to roll Need on gear for their companions while other people who can use the gear are in your group.

What's worse is that the game allows this.

If you EVER roll Need on gear for your comp when someone of that class is in your group, you are a greedy, selfish person who is ruining someone else's experience.

Need for companions = Need for alts

Don't look down

I would modify your post to reccomend people agree on loot-rules pre-mission. I've been doing that and sometimes we agree to loot for companions and sometimes not. Not had an issue yet.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not unless every drop has aim on it....
No, under the system that I was responding to, troopers can need for aim gear, so they can indeed need for gear for their companions under that system.

and their companion uses aim as well...
Yes, all of them use aim.

I can only guess you are arguing for the sake of arguing.
Why would you guess that?

NBG loot systems have been around long enough that you should know why they exist, whether you agree with the concept or not.
Certainly I know why they exist. People feel entitled to gear and like to feel like they can control how other people play the game.

I can't believe you don't see how switching from a tiered rolling system to a straight roll/pass would alter many players' rolling habits.
Did I say that it won't have an affect on some player's rolling habits? OR did I perhaps say that it's still a choice, that you're not being forced to roll a particular way.

hint: it's the latter...

Why would you ever need on stuff from flashpoints for companions, its a fact that the best companion gear is crafted.

I'm guessing you did not think to much about this.

If someone has not focused on crafting and would still like to upgrade companion gear....that is why they would want to need on eq for companions.......

it seems self-evident that would be why.

If the gear's better and they dont yet have access to the better crafting gear.

I don't see a problem if its agreed to beforehand.

3 of the 5 companions a trooper get wear the same armor as troopers, of the other 2, one is a droid that has aim as a primary stat, the other wears medium armor.

The same goes for Bounty Hunters. Most of their companions use the same armor as them.

So a Trooper or Bounty Hunter can select need on an item they won't wear and give it to their companion because most of their companions wear the same stuff as them.

4 of 6 actually.

Aric, Elara, Tanno, Yuun wear heavy armor and use aim

M1 4X and c2n2 also use aim, but wear droid armor. C2 and M1 both have ear and implant slots iirc (doesn't make any sense but iiwii).

so 4/6 for non-droid slots and 6/6 companions for ear/implant slots.

I'm guessing you did not think to much about this.

If someone has not focused on crafting and would still like to upgrade companion gear....that is why they would want to need on eq for companions.......

it seems self-evident that would be why.

If the gear's better and they dont yet have access to the better crafting gear.

I don't see a problem if its agreed to beforehand.

Actualy i know exactly what i was saying, obviously you dont as if you did you would understand what a a game economy is and how it works. If its agreed to allow people to roll for companions its ok but still negates the fact that crafted gear is still the best.

The reason is presence, when gear with it is worn by companions it stacks to the companion meaning you dont have to wear it and making it the second most important if not the most important stat to a companion with there base stat.

As it is crafted gear and weapons that have the best presence stat on them then it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that if you gear your companion in gear that has there major primary stat and huge amounts of presence that when equiped to a companion is infact stronger the op lvl gear when worn by a companion.

And this stat is found on crafter gear from the very 1st tier of crafted gear.

Edited by Shingara

I'll check when I'm home, but as far as I'm aware, I don't have a single schematic that has presence; not only do I have every pattern that I can buy (including the BoP ones that I'll never wear or equip to companions because they're medium/heavy strength), I've bought most of the schematics that are available in the gtn.

even if it is, there is dropped gear that is several tiers higher than the best stuff I can make... so it's clearly going to be better for the companion.

Edited by ferroz

You assume I'm am setting up the ideal group for each run I go on. What if I utilize the upcomming put me in a group tool and have no choice on who I run an instance with?

And when did I say I had no plans on talking to any group I'm in with? If I had a particular companion I was running an instance to gear up instead of my main character I would definitely speak up at the party formation. But the sheer number of people on these threads who act like I'm the second coming of the Anti-Christ because I dare want to gear up a companion leads me to believe that theres a good chance one of them will end up in group with me.

Bottom line is I'm there helping them defeat the instance I shouldn't have to beg for an equal chance at the gear I'm there for.

You said that you go into a run specifically to gear certain companions. Well, since drops are based off of the PCs in the group, what you're doing is almost impossible unless you're specifically setting up runs with certain classes that also use your companion's primary stat. In other words, you're contradicting yourself. If you need AIM, you HAVE to have a trooper or BH in the group or the possibility of any AIM dropping is next to none. You can't have it both ways. Either you're searching out a trooper/BH to have a chance at the AIM gear that drops because they're in the group (this alone is even more proof as to where that loot should go) or you're not in there specifically trying to gear a certain companion. If you go in with all STR and Willpower users, you're only going to see STR and Willpower items drop 99% of the time.

Actualy i know exactly what i was saying, obviously you dont as if you did you would understand what a a game economy is and how it works. If its agreed to allow people to roll for companions is ok but still negates the fact that crafted gear is still the best.

The reason is presence, when gear with it is worn by companions it stacks to the companion meaning you dont have to wear it and making it the second most important if not the most important stat to a companion with there base stat.

As it is crafted gear and weapons that have the best presence stat on them then it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that if you gear your companion in gear that has there major primary stat and huge amounts of presence that when equiped to a companion is infact stronger the op lvl gear when worn by a companion.

I did not disagree with your premise - that crafted gear is better - I disagreed with your question as to why anyone would roll on gear since everyone knows crafted gear is better.

Like I said - it seems pretty obvious why someone would roll on gear for their companion if it has better stats than what the companion currently has something not as good as the gear that dropped.

You seem to agree with this but apparently wanted to put me in my place.

well done sir - you changed the subject to something I did not comment on and won the argument.

Well, since drops are based off of the PCs in the group,
That's not correct, unless it's been changed in the last few days. The last flashpoint I ran, the only non-str based drop that we saw was a relic. We didn't have a Jedi Knight in the group (trooper, consular, scoundrel, gunslinger). The same was true when we did the level 50 heroics before the flashpoint.

I've often seen aim and str items drop when I (shadow) am teamed with a scoundrel.

So your premise here is totally incorrect.

I'll check when I'm home, but as far as I'm aware, I don't have a single schematic that has presence; not only do I have every pattern that I can buy (including the BoP ones that I'll never wear or equip to companions because they're medium/heavy strength), I've bought most of the schematics that are available in the gtn.

even if it is, there is dropped gear that is several tiers higher than the best stuff I can make... so it's clearly going to be better for the companion.

They come from re'ing other stuff, think its 5 lines that re can go down, defense, crit, overkill and then presence is one of the 5

That's not correct, unless it's been changed in the last few days. The last flashpoint I ran, the only non-str based drop that we saw was a relic. We didn't have a Jedi Knight in the group (trooper, consular, scoundrel, gunslinger). The same was true when we did the level 50 heroics before the flashpoint.

I've often seen aim and str items drop when I (shadow) am teamed with a scoundrel.

So your premise here is totally incorrect.

I call BS on you. I've ran tons of flashpoints and the complete opposite of what you claim is always the case. If I'm running with STR users and AIM users only, I almost NEVER see any other stat drop from a boss. I have seen it, but it's only been a few times out of 30 or 40 runs. I'm not talking random green gear. I'm talking boss loot.

I did not disagree with your premise - that crafted gear is better - I disagreed with your question as to why anyone would roll on gear since everyone knows crafted gear is better.

Like I said - it seems pretty obvious why someone would roll on gear for their companion if it has better stats than what the companion currently has something not as good as the gear that dropped.

You seem to agree with this but apparently wanted to put me in my place.

well done sir - you changed the subject to something I did not comment on and won the argument.

Its not a fact of arguing or proving a point against you, purple master crafted lvl to lvl against quest rewards or flashpoint whilst leveling simply kicks the stuffing out of most orange gear drops from flashpoints and is noramly equal to world boss drops.

it just the case that at this moment in time people are focusing to much on pure lvl 50 gear and not really exploring the lower stuff bar a few people but the people doing the low lvl stuff are realising the potential of crafted gear on a leveling perspective.

Edited by Shingara

As biochem I have learned some purple implant recipes that have presence, so maybe its reverse engineering he's speaking of.

Does +presence work when worn by the companion? I thought it only worked when you were wearing it.

Period.

Here is a very simple point. Anyone who thinks that companions are not part of your characters spec are idiots.

Have you tried playing through the game without a companion? It's like doing things with one-hand tied behind your back.

Your play style and your combat potential are influenced, quite heavily, by your companion. Therefore your companions gear is as critical as gear for your actual character. Therefore I roll for gear that my main companions can use.

Does +presence work when worn by the companion? I thought it only worked when you were wearing it.

Ya thats what hes saying, and it was news to me as well. I thought as you did, but he sounds pretty smart to me so I'll make Doctor Lokin some of those purple implants I learned. :D

Make it so companions can only ware crafted gear, quest rewards, and hand-me-downs (already bound to player). This might have been suggested already and discussed, to be honest I didn't read all the posts so sorry if I'm just re-saying something. :)

I call BS on you. I've ran tons of flashpoints and the complete opposite of what you claim is always the case. If I'm running with STR users and AIM users only, I almost NEVER see any other stat drop from a boss. I have seen it, but it's only been a few times out of 30 or 40 runs. I'm not talking random green gear. I'm talking boss loot.
I've often seen str items drop without a knight. And yes, I'm talking boss loot, in both flash points and 4 man heroics. The fact that you've gotten lucky and haven't doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

I've also been in a flashpoint where where we had a jedi knight, but the only STR items that dropped were 3 piece of heavy armor, which the sentinel couldn't wear (I actually gabbed one, for the enhancement, since it was a good tank enhancement that was a minor upgrade)

Interesting to see how you've gone from "it can't happen" to "it almost never happens"

All this back and forth over nothing. It's all subjective opinion on both sides of the fence really. Love how gear always turns into a whizzing contest no matter what game it is. Makes me think of a song oh yeah... "Don't whiz on the electric fence."

That's all threads like this are. People whizzing on electric fences trying to see who is the most stubborn and can keep whizzing the longest.

People are going to play how they want to play. And yes that might mean that some people do not get groups because of how they roll on phat lewt and it caused someone to get butt hurt. That was their decision. Then they will start a thread about how they never get groups on their server and need a free server transfer complaining of lack of population. Rinse, repeat etc...

I miss the days of EQ1 when there was no need/greed loot system. The item dropped and the group leader could loot it and then pass it to whoever won the roll.

3 of the 5 companions a trooper get wear the same armor as troopers, of the other 2, one is a droid that has aim as a primary stat, the other wears medium armor.

The same goes for Bounty Hunters. Most of their companions use the same armor as them.

So a Trooper or Bounty Hunter can select need on an item they won't wear and give it to their companion because most of their companions wear the same stuff as them.

Excellent so not much change for them. So now the whiners will need to whine for even more restrictive choices.

sounds like a bug if it's true.

Its not a bug, its an intentional design of the game, why would bioware force you to have 2 armour sets for pve, one when your with comps and one for pve when you are not.

Edited by Shingara