EA's Stance On Microtransactions

Cavell

All the Extra Credits episodes are worth it, but I sugguest that BioWare is whatching this one on microtransactions now: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/microtransactions

That actually gave me a little more insight into the benefits of the system, but reduced my hope that EA/BW can follow those practices.

Glaring out is the idea that in order for the system to work properly, it's almost a requirement that it be designed for it from day one, as opposed to tacked on later as EA is about to do.

Time will tell I guess.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is some of the things people for f2p are failing to take into consideration.. this is EA doing free to play. If their original ideas don't produce the desired revenue, this game will turn into a pay to win game guaranteed.

its their first time doing this, they better becareful it isnt their last time. i only got away from STO because it was going P2W and if SWTOR is going to be like this, then i will have to find another game. but that is just scaremongering at this moment. the last thing i want to see is lockboxes put in this game and all items put on a cash store, even the typical rubbish loot drops ending up there and in order to use them, so you must buy a scroll off the cash shop to imbue it to use it or some such nonsense. time will tell if they start going for the low blows to get cash. but i never had any faith in EA before, so i wouldnt discount the possiblity they would stoop so low.

Will have to find out what fluff content they put in this shop and how much stuff they keep adding and their pricing, then find out if it is used after a few months, assuming they release the figures.

Edited by Celise

Anyone who doesn't think this will happen is kidding themselves. You can bet your bottom dollar that EA will be making this P2W. This is a dream come true for them. Star Wars fans are going to be nickeled and dimed to death until they leave.

Exactly.

Star Wars fans have at least one thing in common with Star Trek fans. Both fan sets are RABID in their passion for their respective IPs. That's why these two IPs, which were created in the 1960s and 1970s, are still around and going strong today.

And when EA, or Cryptic or others look at fans like Trekkies and Star Wars fans, you know what their reaction is?

Big fat dollars signs roll up in their eyes, just like Uncle Scrooge from Ducktales. Seriously.

Anything and everything that was ever a Star Wars fan's wet dream will be on the table for RMTs.

- Luke Skywalker's outfit from ROTJ? Buy it in the Cash Shop.

- Want to fly the Millennium Falcon in your Space Missions? Buy it in the Cash Shop.

- Want Boba Fett's armor? Cash Shop buddy!

And don't think for a second that timeline or canon or any of that nonsense will keep the merchandise out. When RMTs are involved, it's all about making fan dreams come true...for a price. And it will be available, no matter how out of sync with the timeline it is, or how canon-breaking, immersion-breaking or generally distasteful to the IP it is.

STO is set in the year 2409, a whole 40 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis. People can fly the Constitution Class from TOS.

It will happen here as well.

Exactly.

Star Wars fans have at least one thing in common with Star Trek fans. Both fan sets are RABID in their passion for their respective IPs. That's why these two IPs, which were created in the 1960s and 1970s, are still around and going strong today.

And when EA, or Cryptic or others look at fans like Trekkies and Star Wars fans, you know what their reaction is?

Big fat dollars signs roll up in their eyes, just like Uncle Scrooge from Ducktales. Seriously.

Anything and everything that was ever a Star Wars fan's wet dream will be on the table for RMTs.

- Want to fly the Millennium Falcon in your Space Missions? Buy it in the Cash Shop.

And don't think for a second that timeline or canon or any of that nonsense will keep the merchandise out. When RMTs are involved, it's all about making fan dreams come true...for a price. And it will be available, no matter how out of sync with the timeline it is, or how canon-breaking, immersion-breaking or generally distasteful to the IP it is.

STO is set in the year 2409, a whole 40 years after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis. People can fly the Constitution Class from TOS.

^This

Don't think for a second that they won't destroy canon to make this happen. Sad but true.

^This

Don't think for a second that they won't destroy canon to make this happen. Sad but true.

I am on the fence, I know that EA would destroy the canon for a quick buck if the could, but can they? Wouldn't LucasArts step in and put a stop to it? Although I suppose the lost helm of Nihilus is a pretty freaking huge stretch of the lore.

Edited by Tuscad

I am on the fence, I know that EA would destroy the canon for a quick buck if the could, but can they? Wouldn't LucasArts step in and put a stop to it? Although I suppose the lost helm of Nihilus is a pretty freaking huge stretch of the lore.

Well, they allowed the Force Unleashed games to be made, which imho was one of the stupidest things they've ever added to the canon, so I'm not so sure they'd stop EA/Bioware from breaking the canon completely.

Remember that survey that went around? The one everyone (including myself, I'll admit) dismissed as "obviously fake" because of items included like "the new planet of Makeb," Cathar as the first Legacy species," Ewok companion," and "Luke Skywalker's speeder from the classic movie?"

Yeah, don't kid yourself. EA is already in the process of destroying any and all canon when it comes to this game. They are purely on a cash grab, now.

Well, they allowed the Force Unleashed games to be made, which imho was one of the stupidest things they've ever added to the canon, so I'm not so sure they'd stop EA/Bioware from breaking the canon completely.

Not to mention the old Jerry Riley "Rescue Me" approved adage...

"Money talks, bulls@#$ walks."

If EA and Bioware have something to put in the game that will make LucasArts a ton of money in royalties, you think they will turn that down?

Hell no.

Money money money money money money money money - Dont forget....money.

Its all about the greenbacks now, and whatever brings the greenbacks through the door in large quantities and on a frequent basis, will make it into the game.

Consider all the movie and Clone Wars armor they can put into the game. It'll look out of place, and it will look tacky, but it will make them a ton of money for very little effort, and people will buy it up by the truckload, even though they will be destroying the immersion of their own game.

Stop fearmongering - thats not the F2P model they are using.

Mate, can you say, with hand on heart, based on the trend and precedence set thus far by games that have gone f2p in one form or another, most, if not all, have not descended into nickle and diming their players if those players wanted to acquire some in-game advantage?

I suspect they will start with fluff just to test the reception and temperature from the player base and slowly and ever so subtly start to introduce p2w items along with some marketing spin and spiel to justify such a development. Because of my long standing love for the IP i will stay subbed for now however I will remain ever alert to the above taking place and with the first sign of something like this taking place they will be down by one more subscriber - I can say this with hand on heart.

I am still dumbfounded they have resorted to this with the game less than a year into its life span. So much potential so frikken wasted in the hands of those without the talent or the foresight to take this to the next level - what a waste!

I am also confused with LA permitting such a precious IP to be tarnished in this fashion. Is this the long feared death-knell for this game? I dont know. The months that will follow this unfortunate change will speak for themselves.

As one of the earlier subscribers to this game, I will remain ever alert to how this evolves. In the mean time, I know 5 friends who have decided (within 24 hours of the news release) to allow their sub to expire. *sigh

as a post-script:

I am genuinely curious to know where they are going to get the funding and resources necessary to keep investing in meaningful and interesting development (mid game AND end game, if I dare to be that hopeful) with this new hybrid "pricing" model and is it truly sustainable - unless unbeknown to the playerbase they quietly expect it to slowly wither and die away over the next 12 or more months (if not less). These new developments they have promoted as part of this new chapter for the game may be nothing more than a bait n hook to tease back players who have left and retain subs that have one foot out of the door. Is this sustainable and will there be meaningful development of end game activities since most f2p type players tend not to linger around for too long because if they did they'd pick up a subscription and hope for the best. Too many questions and all I have is dashed expectations given what this game was promised and developed to be. :(

as a post-script:

I am genuinely curious to know where they are going to get the funding and resources necessary to keep investing in meaningful and interesting development (mid game AND end game, if I dare to be that hopeful) with this new hybrid "pricing" model and is it truly sustainable - unless unbeknown to the playerbase they quietly expect it to slowly wither and die away over the next 12 or more months (if not less). These new developments they have promoted as part of this new chapter for the game may be nothing more than a bait n hook to tease back players who have left and retain subs that have one foot out of the door. Is this sustainable and will there be meaningful development of end game activities since most f2p type players tend not to linger around for too long because if they did they'd pick up a subscription and hope for the best. Too many questions and all I have is dashed expectations given what this game was promised and developed to be. :(

They didn't give sub players free coins for nothing.

Not only are they hoping that a good portion of the remaining player base continues to pay $15 a month. They're hoping that base also spends money in the cash shop as well. So 5+ months down the sub players won't just be spending $15 a month, we will be spending $20+ on anverage per month. That is their wish.

Edited by Overtone

Just for folks wondering what's potentially in store for TOR's F2P model, I thought I'd offer EA CEO John Riccitiello's musings on microtransactions:

The highlight for me?

Something to think about.

That is how F2P makes money.

Anyone that things F2P won't end up like this in SWTOR is deluding themselves, it's the ONLY way F2P works - making sales, and doing anything to make those sales. :(

Exactly.

Yep. LA had no problems tying in the prequels to SWG to make money. They will do it here. Not to mention all the money they made with the TCG. LA won't pass up another deal like that. The fanboys in SWG were giving SOE/LA money by the truckloads for CHANCE to loot those vanity items. With how the cash shop is going to be set up that you can buy that specific item straight out without the RNG involved? Lol. It's a wrap.

Yep. LA had no problems tying in the prequels to SWG to make money. They will do it here. Not to mention all the money they made with the TCG. LA won't pass up another deal like that. The fanboys in SWG were giving SOE/LA money by the truckloads for CHANCE to loot those vanity items. With how the cash shop is going to be set up that you can buy that specific item straight out without the RNG involved? Lol. It's a wrap.

Yup, the cash shop model is exactly like a real life shop model.

They have to sell stuff to make money, and to sell stuff they have to sell stuff people want (not matter what that may be).

The game itself is almost meaningless in that context, so long as the cashshop makes sale. :(

I think the plan of all the big companies are to have microtransactions in all products, Warner Bros, has stated that they are going in that direction, in fact thats is one of the tasks assigned to Turbine.

More than a year ago I read that TOR would have MT's according to EA but at that time they were unclear on what they would be selling, and the goal is to have all products with some form of MT.

It's another way for profit companies are making more profit, I have mixed feelings about it, not a big fan of them, but on the other hand if it is a game I like I am going to play it, because I know in the future, if I want to continue to play any style of game single player of mmo, I am going to have to deal with some form of MT.:(

People like to point the finger at companies like EA and Activision and say "yeah they are the bad guys" which I would agree, but I also hold all the self entitled, ADHD f2p drones equally responsible for creating dirt bag monsters like Riccitiello. Edited by Hardwear

I think the plan of all the big companies are to have microtransactions in all products, Warner Bros, has stated that they are going in that direction, in fact thats is one of the tasks assigned to Turbine.

More than a year ago I read that TOR would have MT's according to EA but at that time they were unclear on what they would be selling, and the goal is to have all products with some form of MT.

It's another way for profit companies are making more profit, I have mixed feelings about it, not a big fan of them, but on the other hand if it is a game I like I am going to play it, because I know in the future, if I want to continue to play any style of game single player of mmo, I am going to have to deal with some form of MT.:(

They tried it in WAR (which still had a sub), first they churned out vanity pets, then vanity pets with non-combat boosts, then inevitably came the first vanity pet that boosted your combat stats.

P2W in a subscription game. Those that thing P2W won't creep into any F2P games simply aren't understand how the cashshop model makes money. :(

It absolutely boggles my mind that you can have audio of the CEO in charge of the game we're playing and discussing (if you can call majority of what happens on these forums "discussion"), and you can claim it has no relevance to the situation and laugh it off.

I'm not positive where all this will end up, but to act as if there's no valid reason for concern is astounding.

"Honey, HONEY WAKE UP! There's a man outside our bedroom window with a hockey mask an a knife!"

"Go back to bed woman, there's no evidence he's going to come in here..."

I laughed so hard I couldn't breath! :D

Not to mention the old Jerry Riley "Rescue Me" approved adage...

"Money talks, bulls@#$ walks."

If EA and Bioware have something to put in the game that will make LucasArts a ton of money in royalties, you think they will turn that down?

Hell no.

Money money money money money money money money - Dont forget....money.

Its all about the greenbacks now, and whatever brings the greenbacks through the door in large quantities and on a frequent basis, will make it into the game.

Consider all the movie and Clone Wars armor they can put into the game. It'll look out of place, and it will look tacky, but it will make them a ton of money for very little effort, and people will buy it up by the truckload, even though they will be destroying the immersion of their own game.

That reminds me of an old O'Jays song.

Edited by Hardwear

I remember all the platitudes that Cryptic Studios gave about how their Cash Store was going to be "nothing but cosmetics and fluff"...

Then, they did a test. They took one of the ultimate fan favorite ships (Excelsior) and put it into the shop. And they made it better (tactically) than the in-game Sovereign class.

People were hooked, and in-general they overlooked the P2W aspect, because they loved the Excelsior.

It went downhill from there, and when the F2P finally hit, every ship going into the store, was better than same-tier in-game ships.

The same will happen here. We'll start of with cosmetics and fluff, then they will test us, and see how we react. If the results are favorable, they will open the floodgates, and it'll be all downhill from there.

My fear exactly!!!!

Greed is powerful, and despite what CCP thinks, it is NOT good (for the gamers).

My fear exactly!!!!

Greed is powerful, and despite what CCP thinks, it is NOT good (for the gamers).

It's simple commerce really sell what people will buy........ unfortunately that effectively ruins the game.

And it's the exact opposite of what subscription MMORPGs have always gone for, a level playing field.