Changing Factions

Pathera

I have a questions for you guys.

I tend to play my Imperial characters as light-side characters. As such, I like the idea of having the option of going to the Republic. Also, it might be nice to have my characters remain neutral and not got to either the or the Sith Empire (and I am sure that some people would like the option of having their dark-side Republic Characters going to the Sith Empire).

That said, I was a little disappointed with how they handled that choice in the Jedi Under Siege and I am hoping that we will get a more definitive option later.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? How likely do you think it is? How it should be handled? Etc?

Well you arent fully going to be changed over from a republic or imperial side player to the other faction it will only be in the storyline.

But i would love to see the Jedi's who turned to the empire actually fight for respect and their place in the empire even taking things by force and titles (by npcs and actual titles like lord and darth) from sith as your power is rising even though right now you are probably stronger than majority of the dark council other than acina, xarion. So it would be cool to see how a Jedi fully becomes a sith from that standpoint.

troopers would be a rather interesting thing establishing your own battalion under the empire would be a bit weird as you would probably have the least amount of control over your character's progression of any of the classes.

Smugs not sure if they would ever actually be accepted into the empire may just make the player somewhat of their own pirate breaking blockades and smuggling troops behind lines that kind of stuff.

sith would have a bit to earn the jedi council's trust but the jedi i feel would be interested in the intelligence of the sith order big players, their strats all that so the sith could prove useful from that standpoint. also rebuilding the order would be really interesting going forward as a sith becoming a jedi.

agent probably would not be trusted at all because of being thought of as a double agent or something so earning their trust will probably never happen even though you may rise through the ranks.

bounty hunters would not be accepted into the republic like the sith and eventual agents may they would be kept for hunting purposes of hunting down targets and bringing them in to face justice or questioning.

i think i am most interested in the jedi and sith storylines of theirs changing factions.

• 2 weeks later...
Well you arent fully going to be changed over from a republic or imperial side player to the other faction it will only be in the storyline.

But i would love to see the Jedi's who turned to the empire actually fight for respect and their place in the empire even taking things by force and titles (by npcs and actual titles like lord and darth) from sith as your power is rising even though right now you are probably stronger than majority of the dark council other than acina, xarion. So it would be cool to see how a Jedi fully becomes a sith from that standpoint.

troopers would be a rather interesting thing establishing your own battalion under the empire would be a bit weird as you would probably have the least amount of control over your character's progression of any of the classes.

Smugs not sure if they would ever actually be accepted into the empire may just make the player somewhat of their own pirate breaking blockades and smuggling troops behind lines that kind of stuff.

sith would have a bit to earn the jedi council's trust but the jedi i feel would be interested in the intelligence of the sith order big players, their strats all that so the sith could prove useful from that standpoint. also rebuilding the order would be really interesting going forward as a sith becoming a jedi.

agent probably would not be trusted at all because of being thought of as a double agent or something so earning their trust will probably never happen even though you may rise through the ranks.

bounty hunters would not be accepted into the republic like the sith and eventual agents may they would be kept for hunting purposes of hunting down targets and bringing them in to face justice or questioning.

i think i am most interested in the jedi and sith storylines of theirs changing factions.

I agree that it would be difficult to do and I think that for some characters it would be nearly impossible. However, having the option for some characters and, maybe, having the option of walking away from both the Empire and the Republic at the end of the story would be nice.

I think between the resource crises and the saboteurs, this storyline will screw up the factions so badly that their supposed defection will be replaced by a one or two branching storyline as they try to dig themselves out of this mess. idk what the storyline will be [well, i have some crackpot theories] but i'm 99% certain there will be no JK getting called Darth, not in the near future or ever. At best they are dark Jedi anyway.

However, having the option for some characters and, maybe, having the option of walking away from both the Empire and the Republic at the end of the story would be nice.

One theory I have that seems like a high contender is that you walk away from your faction, but not by choice, but because your faction ceases to exist. for awhile, and the opposing faction isn't all that better off. It wouldn't be like kotfe, it's more like "ok, everybody gets consigned to the fringes", with MAYYYBE the big bad being whoever is behind Acina/Vowrawn. Lord of the Dumpster Fire.

Edited by Ardrossan

City of Heroes had legit faction change and even 2 in between factions.

Star Wars big theme has always been with falling to the dark side and redemption to the light.

the most iconic sith lord in the original trilogy was a fallen Jedi. Why are people not talking about the fact that there is NO excuse why SWTOR didnt have this from day 1?

It doesn't take a genius to see the huge number of super low hanging fruit features which were utterly ignored in favor of creating a WoW clone in space.

Edited by DaZeeZee

City of Heroes had legit faction change and even 2 in between factions.

Star Wars big theme has always been with falling to the dark side and redemption to the light.

the most iconic sith lord in the original trilogy was a fallen Jedi. Why are people not talking about the fact that there is NO excuse why SWTOR didnt have this from day 1?

It doesn't take a genius to see the huge number of super low hanging fruit features which were utterly ignored in favor of creating a WoW clone in space.

I agree that these are big themes that the game should capitalize on. However, to be fair, I doubt it is easy to add all of the options that we want within budget ant time constraints. Still, they can always add in content.

• 10 months later...

It seems to me that EA/Bioware is doing a Walmart thing...make it cheaper and sell it faster to make more money. There doesn't seem to be any time for developers to really dig deeper into the "low hanging fruit". The potential story about a LIVING Arcann and his adjustment to not being treated like a war toy for instance. Isn't that worth more development? Or would it take too much time or money? The faction change would take TIME and deeper development, but it could be done. I have two Imps that are currently double agents for the Republic; but to be honest they are (I am) both tired of killing Jedis and soldiers; kids' father and mothers, peoples' sisters and brothers, sons and daughters.

I guess I am too old to play anymore.

I guess I am too old to play anymore.

Depends how old you are, and how good you are at separating *your* motivations from your *character's* motivations.

For the first part, I'm 55 and I don't consider myself remotely "old" (whatever that means), and there are *older* SWTOR players who post here on the forums.

For the second, I know that *I* wouldn't do X or Y or Z thing that Sith do, nor would I do A or B or C thing that Jedi do, but my *characters* do those things because they *are* Sith or Jedi.

Darth Vader was a fallen Jedi.

An agent, if going over to the Republic, would have to be vouched for by Kothe (the agent would have had to choose that option in their original story.) They would become part of the SIS.

Obviously they would not be able to go back to (historic) planets as a repub character, but future planets that open up could be played as Pub faction.

A Dark Jedi could fight for the empire and have a quest to become a Darth.

A Sith going republic could go to the Jedi just as Lord Praven (JK story) did, They would have a quest to become a Jedi or Master.

A trooper would earn the rank of General in either Republic, or if goes over to Empire, in the Imperial Army. After all, an Imperial general attempted to defect to the republic (see Black Talon Flashpoint) near the beginning of the story.

I would like to see a third faction for BHs /Smugglers to join.

BH could go Mando also.

Also, it would be nice if those 2 Strongholds that just opened up could be visited without an extra fee if you "chose" the opposite faction.

Well, my Zabrak grew up a slave, so the Empire's ways of slavery and oppression is an obvious reason why she would defect. It didn't start out that way of course, and she allowed that upbringing to shape her in the Sithy hateful ways, but Jaesa turned that around.

I think that this game has a good system in place that allows for experimentations of headcanon beyond what's acceptable in the "lore" and "canon," which is why I play it in the first place, the roleplay.

An agent, if going over to the Republic, would have to be vouched for by Kothe (the agent would have had to choose that option in their original story.) They would become part of the SIS.

not gonna happen for me -- I killed the ...... and loved it --

Theron will have to vouch for me ..... :p