Jedi Guardian- vigilance or focus?

JSouthyy

Hey guys, I’m a new player, really enjoying my jedi Guardian so far, but I just hit level 10 and I’m wondering what dps spec I should go into. What’s the difference in how they play and perform, and what would be best for leveling? Thanks.

Vigilance damage is based on DoT's, whereas Focus has bursts. Both spec are good and fun. Both are viable. Depends what playstyle you like more.

Thank you, that’s very helpful, I think I’m gonna go focus then!

One thing that turned me off Focus/Rage is the leap in the rotation, as it messes up positioning in certain boss fights. It also has a more difficult rotation.

The advantage of Burst is only really good for PvP, but Jugg/Guardian DPS specs are pretty bad in PvP due to the lack of defensive cooldowns, making you better off going tank spec with DPS gear for PvP.

Edited by Eli_Porter

The advantage of Burst is only really good for PvP, but Jugg/Guardian DPS specs are pretty bad in PvP due to the lack of defensive cooldowns, making you better off going tank spec with DPS gear for PvP.

Again can we please stop recommending people who want to dps run skanks? 2 nights ago I had a match with 3 of my guys. The 4 pugs were 3 skanks and a tank. I was the only person in the match (a full length voidstsr) to break a mill protection.

Just... If you want to dps, do it in a spec that can kill things. If you insist on skanking learn to tank.

I prefer Vigilance. Because my favorite form is form 5. Plus with vigilance, don't have to leap around. Just stay right there and wail away.

Though I'm totally weird cause I'll go full tank equipment but use Vig in solo stuff but I have no problem respeccing for full tank mode.

I prefer Vigilance. Because my favorite form is form 5. Plus with vigilance, don't have to leap around. Just stay right there and wail away.

Though I'm totally weird cause I'll go full tank equipment but use Vig in solo stuff but I have no problem respeccing for full tank mode.

There is literally zero point in using tank gear in vigi because, since the stances are now tied to your discipline, the ability to shield attacks (which is tied to soresu) is only avaliable to tanks.

Also, vigi lacks many important passive defensives that the tank tree has; so all this would do even if it worked (like pre 5.0) would be to tax healers. You also do not have the aggro generation of a tank and no aoe taunt since that is tied to discipline.

There is literally zero point in using tank gear in vigi because, since the stances are now tied to your discipline, the ability to shield attacks (which is tied to soresu) is only avaliable to tanks.

Also, vigi lacks many important passive defensives that the tank tree has; so all this would do even if it worked (like pre 5.0) would be to tax healers. You also do not have the aggro generation of a tank and no aoe taunt since that is tied to discipline.

He did say "solo stuff", so healers and aggro generation aren't really an issue. But yeah, either way, tank stats in dps spec are worse than worthless: they don't add much if anything to survivability and take the place of more useful dps gear.

Ok get off the high horse. If you'd of bothered reading instead of venting your spleen, in any kind of group play I switch to full on tank mode so that's where I use the mods. I just prefer having Vig because it fits the way I RP my character and I am a big fan of form V.

So please, do me a favor. Take that kriffing attitude that you're the end all be all for Guardians, amd shove it where the sun don't shine.

Ok get off the high horse. If you'd of bothered reading instead of venting your spleen, in any kind of group play I switch to full on tank mode so that's where I use the mods. I just prefer having Vig because it fits the way I RP my character and I am a big fan of form V.

So please, do me a favor. Take that kriffing attitude that you're the end all be all for Guardians, amd shove it where the sun don't shine.

I'm merely pointing out game mechanics, geez man. Who's on the high horse?

He did say "solo stuff", so healers and aggro generation aren't really an issue. But yeah, either way, tank stats in dps spec are worse than worthless: they don't add much if anything to survivability and take the place of more useful dps gear.

With regard to "soloing stuff" there is no point in even commenting on heals, agroo, gear, survivability or damage. None of those things should make "soloing stuff" noticably more difficult or easy. It should always be easy if the player is even moderately competant.

The only thing you need to solo stuff is to have a weapon equipped. heh

You said soloing stuff, which is what he responded to, now your counter-arguing with "group play and RP". Rping needs nothing, it has no mechanics, making that a moot point. Who cares what you are technically speced as if your RPing you can say you are whatever the F you want. You can be tank speced and say you are DPS anyways.

He was offering you advice in good faith and to be helpful to a fellow class member. He gave no cause for that kind of a response. You don't have to take his advice, but, you'd be a fool to think you know better. People who know better, don't need to ask questions like "Vigilance or Focus?" That's the kinda question people who don't even have the most basic understanding of a class ask.

We all started at sometime, we all asked questions, there is nothing wrong with being a new player or one with little experience. That said, someone who knows virtually nothing about a class as apparently is the case with you, shouldn't be taking that kind of an attitude with someone who knows better than you a 1000 times over, which he does.

Have fun erping in vigilance spec. I'm sure the maidens of Star Wars Land will be water-falling at your very approach in Form V.

With regard to "soloing stuff" there is no point in even commenting on heals, agroo, gear, survivability or damage. None of those things should make "soloing stuff" noticably more difficult or easy. It should always be easy if the player is even moderately competant.

The only thing you need to solo stuff is to have a weapon equipped. heh

I mean, you can do whatever you want solo certainly. All tank gear in vigi spec is doing is gimping damage and making it go slower though :cool:

I mean, you can do whatever you want solo certainly. All tank gear in vigi spec is doing is gimping damage and making it go slower though :cool:

Though if you go the other way around by using tank spec with DPS (skank) gear, you get more stuns and defensive cooldowns which are great for difficult solo content like master chapters and FP soloing.

Edited by Eli_Porter

Though if you go the other way around by using tank spec with DPS (skank) gear, you get more stuns and defensive cooldowns which are great for difficult solo content like master chapters and FP soloing.

I mean, I've done this before myself and it makes far more sense than vigi with tank gear. just don't try to pvp this way if you don't want to tank please.

I'm merely pointing out game mechanics, geez man. Who's on the high horse?

Yeah I got on a high horse because I said when I solo I run vig. But when it comes to group play I switch over to full tank when using a Guardian. Which means I do not need you to explain that had you bothered to read.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah I got on a high horse because I said when I solo I run vig. But when it comes to group play I switch over to full tank when using a Guardian. Which means I do not need you to explain that had you bothered to read.

The recommendation is that you use DPS gear, as this is the most versatile gear, on a Guardian, regardless of your advanced class.

There is no point in using tank gear on any of the Guardian DPS classes, since you do not benefit from the tank stats. For solo content, gear is irrelevant, so , there is no need to ask for advice; the only exception to that is master mode chapters, and any person of reasonable intelligence would know you have to be appropriately geared.

The gag is you can do whatever you want but when you ask for advice, you should have the courtesy to listen.

Tank gear as vigi...

This is the point where i had a good chuckle and moved on to a different thread.

Again. It's so when I do group work I can shift to tank and not have to worry about mods.

Do people not understand how to READ?

People can read fine, just wondering why you choose to kill things slower even if solo.

By the way, as a tank I have 3 entirely different gear sets. So I understand it can be a pain. It's worth it because then I can perform either role well, group or solo.

But as I said before, fundamentally, solo, you do you man.

People can read fine, just wondering why you choose to kill things slower even if solo.

By the way, as a tank I have 3 entirely different gear sets. So I understand it can be a pain. It's worth it because then I can perform either role well, group or solo.

But as I said before, fundamentally, solo, you do you man.

Cause like ya said, it would require 3 sets of equipment and I don't want to do that. I mean I could completely shift to a skank tank, but everyone frowns upon them so I don't. And it's not much of an inconvenience to me.

Cause like ya said, it would require 3 sets of equipment and I don't want to do that. I mean I could completely shift to a skank tank, but everyone frowns upon them so I don't. And it's not much of an inconvenience to me.

Well if you don't PvP it's 2, and it gives you the ability to perform either role at its best for a group.

But again solo, really isn't by business. Just i personally, and most likely most people here, prefer killing stuff faster if we're going to take the time to respec anyway.

Again. It's so when I do group work I can shift to tank and not have to worry about mods.

Do people not understand how to READ?

I completely forgot you're limited to one set of gear in your inventory. Apologies.

Can i ask you a serious question? Do you use tank armorings too? That Guardian Slash buff in vigi is OP AF.