Make Open World PvP great again.

leonlotus

There were a heck of a lot more players back in the day. These days the engine might be able to handle Ilum :confused:

Yeah good point. Ppl commenting in this thread clearly never played at launch or even ventured to ilum back in the owpvp days..hundreds of pvpers attempting to battle it out. Unfortunately engine ruined it but its wild to say nobody likes pvp 🥴🥴

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with open world PvP is the same problem as with most every other aspect of the game... there simply aren’t enough active players to make things work like a healthy MMO. Most of the tougher operations are inaccessible unless you belong to one of a handful of guilds on each server that actually run them regularly, can run them at the peak times when all those raids get scheduled and if a spot on a progressive raid team is open, etc., etc. When you were playing at launch, the player base was exponentially larger. Now the business model of the game relies on the Cartel Market, not subscriptions. Which means more work goes into making new cosmetic stuff than designing content that might actually make people want to subscribe. When we get expansions like 7.0 with like 90 minutes of fighting trash mobs, a few cutscenes and a broken flashpoint, that simply isn’t good enough to attract new players. It may not even be good enough to retain the ones they have. Unless BioWare puts more resources back into the game and develops some ambitious expansions that actually attract new players, none of this is going to be fixed. Open world PvP requires a healthy player base. This game just doesn’t have one.

Completely agree with you. World pvp is such an important aspect of a healthy mmo. If you guys remember a game called dark ages of Camelot, their open world pvp system kept the pvp community engaged for years, and here's a secret for the devs...it's very easy to maintain.

Here's the problem with ur idea tho. Game engine is sus and has been sus since launch. It can't support large scale battles on open world planets...hero engine was outdated 10 years ago.

What you might be able to do tho is make instances inside the world's and only allow a certain amount of players in at a time, could be a fix for it idk.

Of course my friend. Many adjustments to the idea would be necessary, such as reviewing the number of instances. But the two main points remain: A) iit has been implemented before, B) would not be difficult to implement and maintain if done right.

In spite of what some "PvP'ers" think, open world PvP in SWTOR is definitely not a desired feature. When the game first started you had some 'pvp' servers, and they were among the first to become 'empty'.

Even now there are some 'pvp' areas, such as on Tatooine, that nobody uses except for Seeker Droid quests.

Also, every planet has a 'pvp' instance, which is also mostly empty.

The bottom line is that the vast majority of SWTOR players don't want open world PvP. There's little point to suggesting it. 🙂

In the early years the game was fabulous because it delivered diversity of content. Complaints aside. IT WORKED (Realism). However, when the balanced aspects of PvP vs. PvE were taken away, and storytelling emerged, of course, pvpers left in droves. The rest is history (bad reviews, accusations to the devs, nostalgia in the chats.... and 1 server).

Edited by leonlotus

Yeah good point. Ppl commenting in this thread clearly never played at launch or even ventured to ilum back in the owpvp days..hundreds of pvpers attempting to battle it out. Unfortunately engine ruined it but its wild to say nobody likes pvp 🥴🥴

Every time I start a conversation about having come back to see the state of the game, and that I was a PvPer from the first year of the game, someone comes up describing how fun those planets were! Ilum, Oricon, Tatooine..planets designed for PvP !

Edited by leonlotus

The "open world" PvP was most of the time that some high level players hide in some areas where they know single low level players would show up, so they could kill them in 2 seconds. :o

Yeah, that was included.

It's inconvenient. Not fair. Uncertain. insecure:

These are characteristics of most MMO's that were successful at one time.

And SWTOR, at its best, included.

1) The same reasons that made some players angry and anxious, also forced them to team up for their defense, and to improve in PvP, ending up integrating the community.

2) On the side of the republic, there were constant calls to defend outposts; and on the Empire side, spontaneously formed raids to invade.

An immersion system that fed itself back.

But it added a sense of genuine danger that the game does not have on PVE.

In other words, I am not some veteran griefer reminiscing about the good old days killing players far below my level, it was the other way around and I still had a good time.

Precisely my friend.

Ppl call the memory of noob-killers, and forget the much bigger reality back at the time.

The truth is that as a PvPer gets better, with training, with sweat, most go look for bigger and bigger challenges. As in every game. Just like Pvers also become profficient in PvP out of necessity, but then they start having fun!!

The time for open world pvp passed long time ago. The engine killed it, just accept it finally. The people who left don't want to touch ow pvp, otherwise the PvP instance wouldn't be a ghosttown.

If so much faith in this you have, why need to reinforce it? :cool:

Things do not happen naturally, they are the result of decision-making paths.

The very amount of negative reviews of the game and general complaints that generate engagement, show the potential to meet demands.

Whether any of them will be met, God knows. But it is possible, as long as there is profit.

Edited by leonlotus

There is open world PvP - the person needs to enable it and then be prepared to vanish to a map instance in which they are more often than not all alone.

Those who wish PvP can by using the existing toggle. Those who whish to avoid it can also.

You will find that EVERY PvP instance and open PvP areas on any map will ALLAYS be EMPTY except for YOU.

PvP in a PvE game played by mostly PvE players will NEVER be popular except to a select few.

Edited by denavin

Griefers will always kill off Open World PVP, and having it doesn't make someone else a better PVPer. It simply creates frustration, usually among new players.

And as it's been pointed out already: there's still options for it. However, as so few people seem to engage in it; that says volumes about the interest for it.

Griefers will always kill off Open World PVP, and having it doesn't make someone else a better PVPer. It simply creates frustration, usually among new players.

And as it's been pointed out already: there's still options for it. However, as so few people seem to engage in it; that says volumes about the interest for it.

The thing is: in SWTOR's golden age, there was content balance. Simple fact. It is from there that I start any analysis about what would be possible, or good to do.. Not from decisions that led the game to have 1 server.

You will find that EVERY PvP instance and open PvP areas on any map will ALLAYS be EMPTY except for YOU.

PvP in a PvE game played by mostly PvE players will NEVER be popular except to a select few.

1. Content for OWPVP has stopped in time. Years without developing.

2. The mechanisms that came later did not provide a beneficial effect. On the contrary.

The result is obvious: instances hollowed out and many stopped playing at all.

> The point of the post: having ideas for incentives, that would bring back ppl for the content and the game.

Edited by leonlotus

If you think OWPVP is viable, prove it to the Devs. They are not going to waste the few resources they have to create content that people won't play. They've been burned twice already trying to create OWPVP opportunities (and other content people have said would "revive" the game and hasn't). Get a regular event going on the PVP instances and show them there is interest.

This sounds like your ignorant of the large pvp community this game had once upon a time. Deletion of 8 v 8 ranked wzs and an open world pvp mode that's been largely ignored for 8 year is sure to make the pvp community die off. Having a healthy population of ppl who enjoy different content is only good for the game. I don't rp but I'd love for the devs to improve the rp aspects of the game because it attracts new rpers and keeps the game population up. Same reason ya need to have a strong pve and pvp community.

Edited by Samcuu

They tried with Iokath.

Like when you kill someone in pvp zone you can loot them.

Problem is you don't get anything worthwile, just a bit of the Iokath currency that you can get from just doing the dailies and weekly. But if the rewards were too good people would complain anyway, that they're being forced to pvp. lol

So no point really other than achievement hunting.

I do a lot of questing in pvp instance cause it's nice and empty. :)

Fun fact new ops entrance is on a walkway, so if you're in pvp instance you can just push ppl off there.

Already got a couple of kills just going in and out of R4.

Edited by Stellalunacat

This sounds like your ignorant of the large pvp community this game had once upon a time. Deletion of 8 v 8 ranked wzs and an open world pvp mode that's been largely ignored for 8 year is sure to make the pvp community die off. Having a healthy population of ppl who enjoy different content is only good for the game. I don't rp but I'd love for the devs to improve the rp aspects of the game because it attracts new rpers and keeps the game population up. Same reason ya need to have a strong pve and pvp community.

Arrina style PvP is NOT Open World PvP... Matches do not equate to having to constantly look over your shoulder while in combat to make sure that some Ganker is not sneaking up on you to kill you when your health is low....

No I Understand PvP and the PvP player all too well.

My first experience with Open World PvP was in a game where you lost 10% of your experience every time you died. I was level 9 eight times. I was followed by a player 30 levels over me, and every time my character leveled, he would one shot kill me and de-level me back to level 8 over and over again... Why..... Because they were a True PvPer... Easy Kills for the Win...

So NO I do not like PvP, I do not participate in PvP, I do not go into to PvP areas and do not want Open World PvP. Like may SWToR players I play the story and am not interested in killing other players.

What once was is no longer... That "Large" community is gone, off to other games and only a small few remain that dream of the few short years of the "Old Days"

The game came out in 2012 by RoH in 2015 PvP was dying.

They have all become ghost lands anyways, but it is a sad comment on the state of pvp in this game that it can't inspire and support a pvp only server.

The only players that will choose the new pvp instances are stealth most likely. Should be exciting. Bunch of players running around invisible to each other.

Thus was the Death of PvP in SWToR... Not with a roar but with a Ganker...

World pvp is such an important aspect of a healthy mmo.

^ -1 That's utter horsepucky; Nope, not buying that one in a thousand years, along with the lame MAGA derivative that is this thread topic. Plenty of other MMO's have done more than fine without open world pvp to such an extent that instead it's easier to list MMO's that actually need open world pvp (which isn't this one.) If pvp was so great, more players would choose to play on pvp instances, [which they've clearly already chosen not to, not to mention opted out of pvp's notorious toxicity & hassle]], rather than coercing players to do open world pvp when the vast majority flat out adamantly doesn't want open world pvp and won't do it. Wasting resources on open world pvp is just going to make it an egregious fail yet again and a disaster even greater than getting more players in/ tiering the hopelessly lopsided ranked pvp -1

Edited by Willjb

^ -1 That's utter horsepucky; Nope, not buying that one in a thousand years, along with the lame MAGA derivative that is this thread topic. Plenty of other MMO's have done more than fine without open world pvp to such an extent that instead it's easier to list MMO's that actually need open world pvp (which isn't this one.) If pvp was so great, more players would choose to play on pvp instances, [which they've clearly already chosen not to, [not to mention opted out of pvp's notorious toxicity & hassle], rather than coercing players to do open world pvp when the vast majority flat out adamantly doesn't want open world pvp and won't do it. Wasting resources on open world pvp is just going to make it an egregious fail yet again and a disaster even greater than getting more players in/ tiering the hopelessly lopsided ranked pvp -1

I feel like most complaints people have about pvp are based on one of three things:

1) OWPVP griefers, or at least the perception that there's a lot of them. I have rarely found that perception to be accurate, but sure, the dude who gets tagged 17 times by a camper is never going to be supportive of that style of gameplay.

2) PVP players screwing up skill balance because of a vocal minority (and BW) petty min maxing and FotM. PVPers also hate this, btw.

3) Conflating behavior in ranked pvp with regs. Regular pvp is pretty chill, imo. If you spend any amount of time on either fleet or DK, and you're tolerant of the conduct there, you ought to be tolerant of this. GSF is almost polite. Ranked is a different story, and imo many of the people you meet on this forum who identify as pvpers are probably ranked players, although I'm not and very happy not to be.

Edited by Ardrossan

So NO I do not like PvP, I do not participate in PvP, I do not go into to PvP areas and do not want Open World PvP. Like may SWToR players I play the story and am not interested in killing other players.

Everything you said could be reduced in this comment, my friend. Plus the fear to be killed in game.

And your reasons are understandable. You don't like it, okay. Normal.

But understand that it's because you don't like it, that you say things like "PvP was already dying at the time of launch". Completely outside the universe of experiences of those who played both aspects.

Edited by leonlotus