Combat Styles Were Not What People Wanted! (And Everything Else Wrong With Them)

Korithras

How far from the mark could you have been, Bioware? Did you read a single post from people all these years? We weren't asking you to pigeon-hole us into changing up what made our favorite class our favorite class all we wanted was for you to loosen your sphincters when it came to weapon restrictions for classes.

I'm not necessarily saying combat styles were a bad idea but forcing a player to choose between the weapon(s) they want to use and the combat style they know, love, and are used to, and probably favor is just idiotic, it has to be said.

I play my mercenary as my my main because I love the mercenary's skill set. I love the mobility, I love the look and feel of it, I love being able to heal myself in a pinch, it's me. It's what I like.

What I don't like is having to dual wield pistols. All I and again, many other players were asking for, were more weapon options. I would have loved to play a merc wielding a rifle or an assault cannon, I don't want to have to adopt an entirely different set of skills, one I may not even like mind you, to do so!

Then there's the whole "you can only choose one secondary combat style on your existing character and then you're locked into that forever" decision.

First of all, why can't we choose to modify both the primary *and* the secondary styles on existing characters? We can only do this for new ones? What the hell?

And second of all, why is it a permanent, "you can never change it once it's locked in" choice? What the hell? What if right now I want to play say a merc and a sniper but then down the line I'm not feeling the sniper and wanted to switch to something else? Why is this such a bad thing in your heads?

Get yourselves together Bioware! This "expansion" was nothing more than an over-glorified patch! Combat styles are a letdown! And the only MMO looking worse than yours right now is World of Warcraft.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows what people wanted exactly? Every single one of us wiould want something different, we are not Borg to want the same thing

This is not crowdfunding game where we have a vote, they do it according to their vision, we are free to like it or leave it.

About existing characters, they said they had technical limitations, so they couldnt do it or it takes too much resources to do it.

How far from the mark could you have been, Bioware? Did you read a single post from people all these years? We weren't asking you to pigeon-hole us into changing up what made our favorite class our favorite class all we wanted was for you to loosen your sphincters when it came to weapon restrictions for classes.

I'm not necessarily saying combat styles were a bad idea but forcing a player to choose between the weapon(s) they want to use and the combat style they know, love, and are used to, and probably favor is just idiotic, it has to be said.

I play my mercenary as my my main because I love the mercenary's skill set. I love the mobility, I love the look and feel of it, I love being able to heal myself in a pinch, it's me. It's what I like.

What I don't like is having to dual wield pistols. All I and again, many other players were asking for, were more weapon options. I would have loved to play a merc wielding a rifle or an assault cannon, I don't want to have to adopt an entirely different set of skills, one I may not even like mind you, to do so!

Then there's the whole "you can only choose one secondary combat style on your existing character and then you're locked into that forever" decision.

First of all, why can't we choose to modify both the primary *and* the secondary styles on existing characters? We can only do this for new ones? What the hell?

And second of all, why is it a permanent, "you can never change it once it's locked in" choice? What the hell? What if right now I want to play say a merc and a sniper but then down the line I'm not feeling the sniper and wanted to switch to something else? Why is this such a bad thing in your heads?

Get yourselves together Bioware! This "expansion" was nothing more than an over-glorified patch! Combat styles are a letdown! And the only MMO looking worse than yours right now is World of Warcraft.

I think the combat styles and loadouts were probably two of the only positive things implemented in 7.0. I understand your argument, but think about how little the devs have done with this update and think about what your asking. They couldn't get what little they did right so imagine messing with the classes even more.

Combat styles work exactly how I need and want them to work, I love the Juggernaut Vengence/Guardian Vigilance playstyle but also love the inquisitor and consular stories but not their playstyles now I get to play the style that I love with stories that I love without the style being a huge negative to my enjoyment of a given story.

I'm find it a neat addition. I still have a bunch of characters with no secondary combat style, because nothing else really fits them, but other do and it's a nice addition. It makes sense to not switch the primary style of existing characters: They already have a class. Whereas a new character doesn't have a class yet, therefore you get to pick.

As for the permanent choice: It's because Bioware doesn't want you to have two characters that can do everything, to keep alts relevant.

Combat styles work exactly how I need and want them to work, I love the Juggernaut Vengence/Guardian Vigilance playstyle but also love the inquisitor and consular stories but not their playstyles now I get to play the style that I love with stories that I love without the style being a huge negative to my enjoyment of a given story.

Very much this. People want different things and mix-match combat styles is a great compromise and truly the best part of 7.0 . Quite appreciated by many.

I agree with the OP. This was not at all what I wanted but when BW announced this I knew this was a waste of the resources and a waste of time. I truly enjoy all my different alts and crafting. I was planning on leveling a new alt but I cannot handle the grind now and this expansion effectively killed alts. Crafters are useless now. I'm sure this was all part of the grand scheme to try and fix the in game economy. Where's the mods? Oh that's right there are none. The worst is not being able to use my custom weapons that I paid actual money for via buying cartel coins.

I am glad that this expansion worked for some.

100% agree. I don't know anyone that ever wanted combat styles. I know a lot that wanted to be able to use different weapons in their chose spec.

I am happy for those people that did want it and got it though, no hate here.

Edited by YTTHYTTH

100% agree here as well. I want to play the game the way I WANT to play it. There should not be any weapon restrictions. Get it through your head, Bioware! (and sidenote:More options to what weapons we can use would also most likely increase cartel market sales)

Yea when I first heard the change in Combat styles I assumed that it was a loosing of restrictions, disappointed that it was just a hard change between two pre-existing classes, considering the state of 7.0 doesn't seem it was worth the effort.

Since I only play Story I don't need to be able to switch combat styles on the whim. However, upon playing the game I find a few I wasn't enjoying. Now that I'm no longer stuck with them for that character I can enjoy the game more by switching to a style I like and never look back. For characters I was already enjoying I don't need to switch.

I assumed

Yeah, don't do that. Really. Ever.

You should have read what they said. There was *no* mention of loosening weapon restrictions. None. What they described about Combat Styles was (with the exception of being able to change our existing characters away from the "style" that they ended up having to inherit from their Advanced Class) what they delivered.

I don't get it. I'm not interested in combat "styles" either ... so I just don't have one. No one is forced to have one.

My Gunslinger's combat style is - drum roll - Gunslinger. 🙂

You do, indeed, have to have one, but you don't have to have two, and you aren't obliged to, on a new character, use one that wasn't one of the origin's original advanced classes.

100% agree. I don't know anyone that ever wanted combat styles.

The ability to play class stories with an off-origin combat style (expressed in terms of classes at the time, naturally) was a recurring request over the years. Often, people mentioned the Warrior story played as an Assassin for some reason. (Observation: doing that is spectacularly absurd in at least one place, during the Grathan estate section of the Warrior's DK story, when you go to see Darth Blobular's spy in the estate, and the said spy is disappointed that Blobular didn't send a stealthy assassin...)

I'm quite sure that combat styles are a vast improvement over just being able to use a different weapon. If you don't like a play style, changing the weapon isn't really going to do much of a difference, is it?

Plus it opens the door to NEW combat styles in the future.

I'm quite sure that combat styles are a vast improvement over just being able to use a different weapon. If you don't like a play style, changing the weapon isn't really going to do much of a difference, is it?

I don't think the point here is that the combat styles are bad (at least not in my opinion), it's more that the weapon restrictions etc. are still present. Also, changing weapons make a huge difference in terms of how you want your character to be wether that is aestheticly or other things. Personally I have wanted to use melee weapons on pts/vanguards since 2012 (it technically would just be a basic melee attack, since they barely use their weps in abilities, but that's the point.. I wanna play it my way).

In many ways SWTOR was doomed from the day it launched, and that's because they went with the hero engine which was originally developed for first generation smart phones iirc. To drag the game out this long has been an actual miracle. The devs understand what they can do with this engine and they stay in their lane. It's a 10 year old game running on an engine that's been bad for all 10 years. It's like giving u a prius and telling u to race against a Ferrari.

Really love all the ideas and I would love what the OP is calling for here, but can it physically be done? Probably not. Swtor is what it is at this point and unless a totally different game is developed, we won't have all the cool toys we want.

Edited by Samcuu

I am more hopeful that the creation of the Origin styles and Combat Styles open up the possibility of new Origin styles and non-humanoid races. it has been said that of the reason that races such as Wookie for players haven't happened due to story restrictions.

Now we can get a new level 1 - 50 (or even to 80) story for a Wookie race/origin or Talz or several others that are not current an option.

Giving us more weapon choices and more animation/visual options with those weapons would take a lot more work (and $) than giving us class switching. Especially when we're being given the most minimalistic possible version of class switching. So class switching it is. At the same time we're getting a shell game in the marketing that can look like they're pretending we're really getting the thing that takes a lot more work to do. I think that was an honest mistake on their parts but I wouldn't give them a pass - they oversell their expacs/additions to this game way too much and too often. Edited by Savej

Giving us more weapon choices and more animation/visual options with those weapons would take a lot more work (and $) than giving us class switching. Especially when we're being given the most minimalistic possible version of class switching. So class switching it is. At the same time we're getting a shell game in the marketing that can look like they're pretending we're really getting the thing that takes a lot more work to do. I think that was an honest mistake on their parts but I wouldn't give them a pass - they oversell their expacs/additions to this game way too much and too often.

Guessing

Your character, like all characters in the game, is programmed as a Class Object. The Combat Style subroutine is a feature of that Object. Each Combat Style is its own subroutine, among which is an animation sequence for each ability that's applied to your Class Object Appearance feature. However, the Combat Style subroutine isn't a Class Object or at least the animation sequences aren't. The weapon used in the animation subroutine is ingrained into the subroutine. To change the weapon appearance in the subroutine requires major rewrites of programming. This could also explain why they haven't been able to apply weapon appearance to the Outfitter which accesses your Appearance feature of your Character Class Object. A weapon appearance in Outfitter isn't the same instance as the weapon appearance in the animations.

I don't get it. I'm not interested in combat "styles" either ... so I just don't have one. No one is forced to have one.

Yeah i still haven't chosen a 'secondary' combat style on ANY of my existing Level 75+ characters. And, tbqh, i really don't see any need nor purpose at all to ever choosing one. (except maybe for *stealth* ? )

Often, people mentioned the Warrior story played as an Assassin for some reason. (Observation: doing that is spectacularly absurd in at least one place, during the Grathan estate section of the Warrior's DK story, when you go to see Darth Blobular's spy in the estate, and the said spy is disappointed that Blobular didn't send a stealthy assassin...)

Yep, see this ^ is one of the many unforeseen (from Devs) problems with tinkering around with the 10 years established fabric of SWTOR , both in code and in practice. Inevitably, some detail (which is potentially gamebreaking or immersion-breaking) is gonna slip thru the QA cracks. :(

Um...I've actually been wanting to be able to use dark side abilities on my dark Jedi for some time now.

I agree, that is theoretically a super awesome (and logical , canon-wise) concept. But imho , instead of created such a convoluted (and borderline mis-leading) combat-style mess with 7.0 , why couldn't BioWare just have utilized already existing systems like the *Dark vs. Light* event to allow players some super cool QUESTS to unlock a new darkside 'combat style' ? (or to unlock new weapon certifications, for non-force-users )

Would've been much better and far more STAR WARSy . :ph_win:

But oh well, here we are, so yeah adapt or un-$ub. :cool:

Edited by Nee-Elder
please please BIOWARE see my forum sig with ideas & suggestions that are more STAR WARSy