Can we *please* get a change to the GSF AFK timer, devs?

DakhathKilrathi

Please? This is the single biggest quality of life change we could get right now. As it stands, conquest/seasons farmers who self destruct on purpose or AFK until the other team kills them don't have to worry about getting kicked, because they are flagged as contributing on every single respawn.

And worse, nothing happens if we report them. There's someone on Starforge we've been reporting for nearly three months at this point. Not only are they still at it, but they've been at it for eight hours tonight. Let me repeat that:

EIGHT HOURS

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to have to see this person AFKing every single game they're in, knowing that nothing will be done and we probably can't kick them either? Or worse, watch them self destruct once or twice a minute and have to fight to stay ahead of that?

If you're not going to action the people who do this, please change it so that you actually have to actively participate to avoid getting flagged AFK. Letting yourself get killed or running into a wall every time you spawn is not, in fact, actively participating. Having your drones or mines do damage is not actively participating. Shoot someone. At least once every two minutes. Failing that, be near an objective. That's a very, very low bar.

I can carry most of the games this jerk is in, but not all of them. And your average player simply cannot make up for a 10 - 20 point deficit they have just by having this person on their team. Please do something because this is beyond excessive.

Edited by DakhathKilrathi

Seconded. Spawning in and just afking is essentially the same thing as waiting in the protected area of a warzone, which is, in contrast to the GSF situation, actually penalized. Not entirely sure if you get flagged as contributing just for contesting a node, but if not, such a change may also need to be made if not contributing is more strictly penalized.

Think I know who you're talking about, does his toon name start with P?

If so, I've started avoiding playing on Star Forge entirely because of him.

Doesn't matter so much in Dom, but his constant SD'ing just ruins TDM's, he seems to rack up 20+ every game.

I was in a match with him a couple of days ago, which wasn't helped by the fact the matchmaker had done it's usual trick of putting most of the inexperienced players on one team, and between the lopsided teams and his self-destructing we were losing 30-something to about 5 or 6 within a few minutes, at which point I left the match. That was the last straw for me, I'm sticking to Satele Shan for a while.

I don't particularly care for the idea of shortening the AFK timer. Too harsh on new players, and every once in a while I run into it in abnormal games where I spend a little too much time kiting a T2F or two that are really determined to land a P-torp on me.

Actually making it a bit longer to reduce the incentive to self destruct to refresh it might not be a bad idea. Functionally the difference between an AFK player parked in a hidey hole and a new player isn't all that great.

The trick here is that you have only fairly simple test conditions to screen for this sort of thing, and as a designer you don't want to punish people who are just new to the game, even if they haven't bothered to read the range numbers on the RFL tooltip.

I supposed I could get behind something like needing to land a laser shot or missile or mine or a tick of in range at a satellite at least once every 5 min in order to get Conquest rewards from a GSF match. That's a bar a total newb should be able to pass most of the time. Aiming at Conquest rewards is also key I think. Seasons objectives don't go beyond a few games before you exhaust them, and GSF missions are also limited in number of matches, but Conquest will let you get infinitely repeatable gains from flying GSF.

This mostly sounds like customer service not knowing enough about the game to be able to tell that this is basically trolling, and the sanctions are just as called for as they would be in ground PvP.

Think I know who you're talking about, does his toon name start with P?

If so, I've started avoiding playing on Star Forge entirely because of him.

Doesn't matter so much in Dom, but his constant SD'ing just ruins TDM's, he seems to rack up 20+ every game.

I was in a match with him a couple of days ago, which wasn't helped by the fact the matchmaker had done it's usual trick of putting most of the inexperienced players on one team, and between the lopsided teams and his self-destructing we were losing 30-something to about 5 or 6 within a few minutes, at which point I left the match. That was the last straw for me, I'm sticking to Satele Shan for a while.

You know exactly who I mean, yes. I just had to carry a 17 point deficit because he was on my team running into walls the whole game. Again.

This has been going on for months now. I'd link a screenshot here, but that's naming and shaming or something. It's in the GSF Discord, though.

I'm all for a system which penalizes abusers but not rookies.

Any change is going to hit the rookies. What we need is for community managers to do their jobs and act on all the reports sent in. We've seen the post in the bug section, I've personally seen that person sitting around doing nothing, or just pointing his ship at a rock and afk'ing, etc. So many matches they have had 0 across the board, apart from dying. If the CM's acted on the reports, and stopped them, we wouldn't need to punish rookies (or tbh, those of us not as good as , etc)

EDIT: Just to add, that same person, who we can't name........was in 2 matches today, doing the same thing, but thankfully the team pulled together and kicked them before they could ruin it. How long will it take for the community managers to act on the reports sent in :/

Edited by DarkTergon

I have to say as a former bomber pilot, when your drones and mines didnt indicate your activity, I dont mind it the way it is.

When bombers first came out, you went non contributing, even if your drones and mines were doing heavy damage.

You had to actively shoot someone with your laser.

It would be cool if the bombers actually did use their lasers and such.

But, I see too many bombers acting like strikes, flying out into the open and trying to down the enemy.

All they are, at that point is easy prey.

Mostly, its their limited engine pool.

But, i dont mind if their stuff is doing damage.

And yes, it would be helpful to have them shoot lasers once in awhile, while near or under cover, lol

Any change is going to hit the rookies. What we need is for community managers to do their jobs and act on all the reports sent in. We've seen the post in the bug section, I've personally seen that person sitting around doing nothing, or just pointing his ship at a rock and afk'ing, etc. So many matches they have had 0 across the board, apart from dying. If the CM's acted on the reports, and stopped them, we wouldn't need to punish rookies (or tbh, those of us not as good as , etc)

EDIT: Just to add, that same person, who we can't name........was in 2 matches today, doing the same thing, but thankfully the team pulled together and kicked them before they could ruin it. How long will it take for the community managers to act on the reports sent in :/

And yet another day, and he is still there, still afk'ing, still with 0 across the board, except deaths, and the people who are supposed to police the game do ZERO .....

really need to resolve this problem, was just in a match 3 were afk doing nothing, so who suffers the players that are actually doing something, while the afkers do nothing and reap in the free rewards.

so if we decide to leave the match, we get punished with a timed penalty , while the afk'ers get to just keep doing what they're doing with no penalty at all.

something is not right, resolve it please

Who does the botting and why? For conq? I would assume somebody who "plays for reals" in a hardcore conq guild would consider it too risky to bot the day away so openly in pvp. I'd assume same goes for some lone wolf building their own one person guild. So much to lose once they ienvitably ban you.

Many, many players have reported the most infamous bot by now. Nothing is done. Crazy,

Edited by Stradlin

In terms of reporting, have people been just using the in game dialog, or have you gone beyond that?

There is a pvpReports@swtor.com email listed in the PvP forums, and in the past PMing Musco when he was the community rep, now I guess it would be Jackie Ko, got some action on bad actors in the past.

Might be worth a try if you haven't already.

In terms of reporting, have people been just using the in game dialog, or have you gone beyond that?

There is a pvpReports@swtor.com email listed in the PvP forums, and in the past PMing Musco when he was the community rep, now I guess it would be Jackie Ko, got some action on bad actors in the past.

Might be worth a try if you haven't already.

I've not used that one (but will try it in future) , but I have reported them to CS, through thier email.... As for reaching out to CM's, I've tried that, but they don't respond.... :rolleyes:

Who does the botting and why? For conq? I would assume somebody who "plays for reals" in a hardcore conq guild would consider it too risky to bot the day away so openly in pvp. I'd assume same goes for some lone wolf building their own one person guild. So much to lose once they ienvitably ban you.

Many, many players have reported the most infamous bot by now. Nothing is done. Crazy,

The people doing the afk'ing aren't hardcore starfighters, just people doing it for the easy CQ/GS points. It's what happened when people campaigned to increase GSF points while nerfing others. You get more people playing the mode, but less people that care. And unless the community managers step up, and deal with these people, they won't go away.