Chiss agent and light side or dark side

ARavingLooony

so wanna create a lightside Chiss agent but am curious 1: would a Chiss even b possible/acceptable suring the age of SWTOR? yes mechanically they can but I mean lore-wise and 2: would a Chiss light side be an unacceptable thing as I'm basing my knowledge off Thrawn who was undeniably dark side

Based on the in-game lore, yes, of course Chiss are accceptable, subject to a caveat that I'll explain in a moment. Basically, the "Chiss Ascendency" (?sp), i.e. their somewhat isolationist government, is a close ally of the Empire, but definitely not a puppet state.

As for light/dark, base it on how you see *your* character deciding things. Spoilers:

If you play a male Agent and want to romance Raina Temple, it seems more logical to play a light-leaning Agent than a dark-leaning one, because of Raina's personality.

Anyway, that caveat... In my opinion, the initial scenario on the starter world is somewhat incompatible with playing a Chiss agent. The place you go is a nominally neutral (in the Imp vs Pub thing) world that's mostly controlled by the Hutts. Spoilers:

You're there to subvert one of the local Hutt leaders so he supplies stuff to the Empire. The notional scenario calls on you to hide your Imperial links, and doing that while being of a visually-distinctive species that's well-known for being an Imperial ally seems ... odd.

Based on the in-game lore, yes, of course Chiss are accceptable, subject to a caveat that I'll explain in a moment. Basically, the "Chiss Ascendency" (?sp), i.e. their somewhat isolationist government, is a close ally of the Empire, but definitely not a puppet state.

As for light/dark, base it on how you see *your* character deciding things. Spoilers:

If you play a male Agent and want to romance Raina Temple, it seems more logical to play a light-leaning Agent than a dark-leaning one, because of Raina's personality.

Anyway, that caveat... In my opinion, the initial scenario on the starter world is somewhat incompatible with playing a Chiss agent. The place you go is a nominally neutral (in the Imp vs Pub thing) world that's mostly controlled by the Hutts. Spoilers:

You're there to subvert one of the local Hutt leaders so he supplies stuff to the Empire. The notional scenario calls on you to hide your Imperial links, and doing that while being of a visually-distinctive species that's well-known for being an Imperial ally seems ... odd.

SWTOR seems to say Chiss aren't that widely known. Even had Imperials who didn't even know exactly what a Chiss is at first, in the smuggler storyline "Wait...aren't they blue?"

There's also that they're impersonating someone called "Red Blade" so it can be about the red eyes, or they can just wear a helmet to hide features.

SWTOR seems to say Chiss aren't that widely known. Even had Imperials who didn't even know exactly what a Chiss is at first, in the smuggler storyline "Wait...aren't they blue?"

There's also that they're impersonating someone called "Red Blade" so it can be about the red eyes, or they can just wear a helmet to hide features.

Indeed, which is why I described it as "somewhat incompatible" rather than "a dead-loss total incompatibility":

Imperial Intelligence would be relying on that lack of widespread knowledge of the nature of a whole species to protect the Agent, who arrives initially in "plain clothes" before adopting the Red Blade identity on-site. I'm not sure that an intelligence organisation would take either of those risks, especially with top-ranking Sith nosing around.

Risks? Plural? Sure. The risk of the Chiss being subject to immediate suspicion for being one of an Imperial ally species, and the risk associated with the agent arriving "out of character".

I think the fact that you show up on Hutta where many bounty hunters are employed of whatever species makes you not be suspicious as an imp agent.

The hutt cartel shows up on both sides of the rep/imp war.

Tatooine the cartel NPCs are allied with the imps, at least Attis station.

Quesh they are allied with the Pubs, at least the 3 "families" are.

I've played all sorts of agents. LS, DS, Male, Female, Chiss, human. Chiss female is extra special when you get to hoth :-)

:cool:

Blue James bond.

• Like 1

thnx for all the clarification, its just I already have a bunch of human and cyborg characters and Chiss is the only species I was curious as to how to play for this class, any alien species as an Imp agent just feels weird and the voice actor/actress fits the human/cyborg and Chiss the best I feel. Way too snobby an accent to be playing as any other alien lol :-) a ratatakki or zabrak with that accent......

Guess its time to choose. Find a way to make a Chiss background fit or just play the Imp agent story as yet ANOTHER human/cyborg character I have tonnes of already

thnx for all the clarification, its just I already have a bunch of human and cyborg characters and Chiss is the only species I was curious as to how to play for this class, any alien species as an Imp agent just feels weird and the voice actor/actress fits the human/cyborg and Chiss the best I feel. Way too snobby an accent to be playing as any other alien lol :-) a ratatakki or zabrak with that accent......

Guess its time to choose. Find a way to make a Chiss background fit or just play the Imp agent story as yet ANOTHER human/cyborg character I have tonnes of already

Chiss works well for Agent. I actually wonder if it was setup to be played by a Chiss.

Bounty Hunter would be another good one.

Both my Jedi and my Agent are Chiss and it's been fine. :)

Way too snobby an accent to be playing as any other alien lol :-) a ratatakki or zabrak with that accent......

The headcanon for a Rattataki Agent isn't as hard as you make it sound, and even better, it fits with the conversations you have with Kaliyo.

Basically, you HC it as your character having been raised, possibly even born, on a "respectable" Imperial world, and having acquired the accent from there. This allows the accent to fit, but also meshes with Kaliyo's companion conversation where she talks about what being raised on Rattatak was like - your character wouldn't know, since you weren't raised there. (It's a pity she doesn't say something like, "Look, your accent says you've never been on Rattatak, but it was like this..." before her existing description (but just for Rattataki agents).)

The headcanon for a Rattataki Agent isn't as hard as you make it sound, and even better, it fits with the conversations you have with Kaliyo.

Basically, you HC it as your character having been raised, possibly even born, on a "respectable" Imperial world, and having acquired the accent from there. This allows the accent to fit, but also meshes with Kaliyo's companion conversation where she talks about what being raised on Rattatak was like - your character wouldn't know, since you weren't raised there. (It's a pity she doesn't say something like, "Look, your accent says you've never been on Rattatak, but it was like this..." before her existing description (but just for Rattataki agents).)

Back in the back-in-the-day of pre-release media, each Base Class (Origin now) had a lore-based non-human race associated with them. Nothing canon-wise, mostly flavor (can an mmo actually have canon if we're being honest?)

Chiss was the species associated with Agent

If I recall it went:

Knight: Mirialan

Bounty Hunter: ??

Smuggler: Twi-lek

Inquisitor: Red Zabrak

Consular: Miraluka

Agent: Chiss

Trooper: ??

Warrior: Sith pureblood

Back in the back-in-the-day of pre-release media, each Base Class (Origin now) had a lore-based non-human race associated with them. Nothing canon-wise, mostly flavor (can an mmo actually have canon if we're being honest?)

Chiss was the species associated with Agent

If I recall it went:

Knight: Mirialan

Bounty Hunter: ??

Smuggler: Twi-lek

Inquisitor: Red Zabrak

Consular: Miraluka

Agent: Chiss

Trooper: ??

Warrior: Sith pureblood

I'd wager Cyborg for Hunter and Brown Zabrak for Trooper.

If you go lightside chiss, definitely go for operative you may end up with the third easter egg story line

>:) I did at launch not knowing what i was doing, ask lots of questions, never say you are imperial or loyal to the empire and you WILL get there. its a really cool story line. Fyi , it only works as light side and be smart.

If you go lightside chiss, definitely go for operative you may end up with the third easter egg story line

Lightside and Operative are incompatible, given the amount of time your Operative spends cackling like a madman as (s)he stabs enemies in the gut with an eighteen-inch knife.

And nothing in the storylines is influenced by your chosen Advanced Class / Combat Style.

My Agent is light side, SIS (disillusioned with the Empire and Sith for obvious reasons). Which is sorta nice, as then I can take some Dark Side options as the LS option is more helping to the Empire.

Which is made more fun, when you realize that the story assumes all DS choices for how the Empire storyline goes. :p