Please increase the GTN credit cap and player credit cap

illgot

With the lack of proper credit sinks and the removal of two credit sinks in 7.0 (amplifiers and modded gear costing 77,000 credits to remove mods), I propose a few changes to how the GTN works.

1) Increase the GTN limit to 50 billion credits so any item can be sold on the GTN and everything can be taxed. This is not so players can immediately start selling items for 50 billion credits. This is account for a few years of inflation and give the developers enough time to create effective credit sinks. Once credit sinks balance the economy the GTN credit limit can be brought back down if necessary.

2) Get rid of the Tax Evasion perk. I love this perk. It is my priority perk when available but our economy can not afford it right now. Bring it back later once the economy is healthier, but GTN taxes should always be 8%.

3) Increase the player credit cap to the new GTN limit.

4) Allow excess credits beyond the player limit to automatically be deposited in the Legacy Bank instead of being deleted. If players do not have a legacy bank or the legacy bank has hit the credit limit, mail the excess credits back to the character.

Right now inflation may have a positive effect on Cartel Market sales because new and returning players come back and would rather spend real money on an item than save up billions of credits, but inflation is reaching a point where even 4,294,967,295 is not enough credits and it takes multiple trades to sell an item. Once higher priced items commonly go for more than the 4,294,967,295 player credit limit, Cartel Market sales will be negatively impacted as players who rightfully should not trust each other refuse to hand over billions of credits or an item worth billions of credits without the full trade present in a single transaction.

Increase the credit cap on the GTN and player so any item can be sold on the GTN and taxed.

Get rid of the Tax Evasion perk.

Figure out a way so credits above the 4,294,967,295 player credit cap is sent back to the player instead of deleted.

Edited by illgot

Whoa whoa whoa. Stop right there. DO NOT increase any cap beyond 1 billion. That is INSANE.

Disagreed. All it's doing right now is preventing high value items from being sold on the GTN, which means no money lost to GTN tax.

Also people who don't enjoy standing in the fleet for hours trying to sell something are less likely to buy those high value items for resale - which means that they are rarer than they could be too (I'm talking about myself here. I stopped buying hypercrates because I have no desire to stand in the fleet to buy/sell things).

I highly doubt that things will suddenly double in price if the cap is raised. If it doesn't sell... it doesn't sell.

But 50b is ridiculous. 2b is plenty enough. And IMO f2p/preferred cap should be increased to 50 millions.

People that have more then 50 billion to spend , are very few and far Far FAr FAR between, and I agree with the other posters, nothing would ever be worth that much, low lvl players, new players and even regular players would be completely left out of the gtn. With the new xpac coming out, we Know things will be expensive for the maxed lvl players, which will be fine =), its expected. but that is insanity to boost the cap.

Disagreed. All it's doing right now is preventing high value items from being sold on the GTN, which means no money lost to GTN tax.

Eliminating the GTN cap means eliminating the buyer pool. Only the absolute richest would be able to afford anything on the GTN because nothing would stop people from charging even more insane rates. If you want to make inflation run away on a six-horse carriage, get rid of (or raise) the GTN cap.

Edited by xordevoreaux

Eliminating the GTN cap means eliminating the buyer pool. Only the absolute richest would be able to afford anything on the GTN because nothing would stop people from charging even more insane rates. If you want to make inflation run away on a six-horse carriage, get rid of (or raise) the GTN cap.

Caps are irrelevant to inflation.

People do things in the game. The game rewards credits. The game has some costs. Those costs remove credits from the game. As long as the number of credits entering the game is higher than those leaving the game, there will be inflation. It's that simple.

While I don't necessarily side with the OP's idea, at least it addresses the credits leaving the game in the form of GTN tax. The only thing that drives prices higher are credits remaining in the game. People might list things at much higher prices, but that doesn't mean the items will sell. If for some strange reason they do, at least credits will be removed from the game in sizable chunks.

If buyers disappear at a price point, the price of that item will naturally come down till buyers re-enter the market.

Price Elasticity of Demand

• Like 1

There is nothing in this game that should be selling for 100 million+ credits. Nothing.

Why not? If it's rare and people have a lot of credits to spare, of course some things will sell for a lot.

I have 12b currently - that's after spending probably as much on armor, weapons and mounts on the GTN. I've only been playing since June 2020. For the last two months or so I've only played about 8 hours a week too. Imagine how many credits some people who have been playing longer must have...

Edited by Pricia

First, we all have to understand, anything that even REMOTELY affects the CM is a non-starter. Even if we're talking about the GTN, or credit cap, if EA thinks the CM is going to take a hit - we're tilting at windmills here.

Next, IF (and that's a BIG 'if') EA wants to curb inflation, or at least drain credits out of the economy, then they have to institute some form of credit REMOVAL (other than the usual mechanisms). Stifling rewards (CQ) is apparently their response. I think they're answering the wrong question, but, here we are.

Third, new players have to be incentivized to buy from the CM. (See my first paragraph). However, new players also have to understand, that without doing so, it's a long road to trudge to be able to afford {COOL WIDGET}.

My personal solution has always been to institute a rotating, BoL, legacy vendor who accepts credits ONLY. Items that are NOT (currently) on the CM. I may be Don Quixote at this point, but I like my answer better than theirs.

If EA REALLY wants to go 4--D, then remove player trades, remove CoD (Does anyone actually use this?) let GTN have no limit, and make the tax on any item posted, one, be non-refundable, and two, a percentage of the item listing cost.

Want to sell {COOL WIDGET} for 4B? Ok, but there's a 320 million tax (8%) you lose whether said item sells or not.

First, we all have to understand, anything that even REMOTELY affects the CM is a non-starter. Even if we're talking about the GTN, or credit cap, if EA thinks the CM is going to take a hit - we're tilting at windmills here.

Next, IF (and that's a BIG 'if') EA wants to curb inflation, or at least drain credits out of the economy, then they have to institute some form of credit REMOVAL (other than the usual mechanisms). Stifling rewards (CQ) is apparently their response. I think they're answering the wrong question, but, here we are.

Third, new players have to be incentivized to buy from the CM. (See my first paragraph). However, new players also have to understand, that without doing so, it's a long road to trudge to be able to afford {COOL WIDGET}.

My personal solution has always been to institute a rotating, BoL, legacy vendor who accepts credits ONLY. Items that are NOT (currently) on the CM. I may be Don Quixote at this point, but I like my answer better than theirs.

If EA REALLY wants to go 4--D, then remove player trades, remove CoD (Does anyone actually use this?) let GTN have no limit, and make the tax on any item posted, one, be non-refundable, and two, a percentage of the item listing cost.

Want to sell {COOL WIDGET} for 4B? Ok, but there's a 320 million tax (8%) you lose whether said item sells or not.

I agree but gosh I would absolutely hate it.

When game launched, it was a big deal to get the achievement for collecting 10 million credits. Bioware started the outrageous inflation at game launch, like charging one million credits for a VIP band, to access an area that they never developed.

First, bioware credit cost for most stuff is obscene, but unlikely they will ever lower prices.

* 3,000 tech fragments & 1 million credits for one piece of gear

* 1,000 tech fragments & 500,000 credits for an UNIDENTIFIED unique item?!

* TEN THOUSAND Tech frags to trade for a Tier 3 Exotic Crafting Material?!

* 250,000 credits for a single Legendary companion gift, of which a bazillion are needed to max out comp influence

The prices for Cartel Market stuff is beyond obscene, but that is how they get extra revenue if someone is willing to spend real money to get digital trinkets, or stuff like the Commander's Compendium to insta max companion influence. If I was still crafting, I would likely never max out comp influence (original comps only) on six toons using regular companion gifts.

I know the prices mentioned above is like pocket lint to those with billions of credits to waste.

I've never played any other MMO, but it is my understanding other games have an auction house, where peeps actually bid on stuff, like ebay. Converting GTN to an auction house would possibly bring prices more towards people actually being able to obtain stuff.

Reset all credits to ZERO. Slash the cost of vendor stuff by 3/4. Go ahead, throw a fit at this suggestion. At least you can grind for more credits, unlike the countless hours most of us spent grinding for comp gear on Yavin IV, and likely adding augment slots & augments, only to have bioware delete it.

Edited by profhermit

Reset all credits to ZERO.

Should've led with that. So I could've stopped reading right there.

Steve the Cynic said it best, "EA doesn't want to be known as the company that took billion of credits from their playerbase"

I'll add, BECAUSE OF THEIR INABILITY TO REMOVE CREDITS IN A LEGITIMATE WAY.

But I'll enter the asylum and play along. Tomorrow, EA removes ALL credits. CM Sales explode, EA is happy.

{TIME INDETERMINATE} things are selling for 1B again. Is the solution to wipe all credits AGAIN? No. (obviously not). Because you're treating a symptom - not the disease. Whether said disease is dupers, or other, until those issues are addressed, prices will continue to trend upward.

Should've led with that. So I could've stopped reading right there.

Steve the Cynic said it best, "EA doesn't want to be known as the company that took billion of credits from their playerbase"

I'll add, BECAUSE OF THEIR INABILITY TO REMOVE CREDITS IN A LEGITIMATE WAY.

But I'll enter the asylum and play along. Tomorrow, EA removes ALL credits. CM Sales explode, EA is happy.

{TIME INDETERMINATE} things are selling for 1B again. Is the solution to wipe all credits AGAIN? No. (obviously not). Because you're treating a symptom - not the disease. Whether said disease is dupers, or other, until those issues are addressed, prices will continue to trend upward.

Mystyqe is correct on this. Removing credits does not remove the problem of how the credits got there to begin with, and they would eventually re-accumulate.

the issue with that whole statement is before inflation hit as bad as it has been the last few yrs, people that did not have money still could not afford anything because they did not have money when prices were lower. prices can be whatever and people still be left out because they could not afford stuff. not saying its good having the market inflated i am saying your argument right there is a little off base and people where always charging insane amounts for the credit value at the time. guess what even if you reset the currency in game all its going to do is still keep money between the people that already have it because it will be converted to a new currency the rich will have money while the poor do not. there is little actual fix for that in this game bioware let in and couldn't track down on the money through the glitches but other intentional methods also added tons of creds into the game. I would increase actually increase precentages of gtn sales tax based on the actual price of sales where the game takes even more money out if than just the standard precentage for every1. have it completely broke into tiers. But still then you would run into more people just selling things on trade chat than you would on the gtn.

the issue with that whole statement is before inflation hit as bad as it has been the last few yrs, people that did not have money still could not afford anything because they did not have money when prices were lower.

The problem people was prior to 6.0, people were impatient with the gearing-up process for top-level ranked PvP, impatient to getting geared in general, and not willing to spend real money on cartel coins to get items off the cartel market when they can be found on the GTN, so ran to gold sellers to salve that impatience, found any way they could to farm credits themselves, and EA did too little too late to make a dent in the contribution of money gold sellers injected into the economy and to stave off mass accumulation of credits by legitimate means.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I've been playing regularly since the game went F2P and I've rarely had more than 5 million creds per character. I only recently spent all of my CC and sold a black & black dye. After all that plus a few gtn sales of OEM/RPM, they've got about 77 million each, spread across 7 of them (poor Lucian doesn't get anything).

It's not the fault of us normies if you select few exploited the system and got rich. Keeping the prices and caps high only harms most players. On the contrary, I have repeatedly called to LOWER the GTN price caps. I literally CANNOT buy a black & black dye any way anymore other than to shell out yet another 20 bucks on CC.

Edited by BelorfinSiana

I've been playing regularly since the game went F2P and I've rarely had more than 5 million creds per character. I only recently spent all of my CC and sold a black & black dye. After all that plus a few gtn sales of OEM/RPM, they've got about 77 million each, spread across 7 of them (poor Lucian doesn't get anything).

It's not the fault of us normies if you select few exploited the system and got rich. Keeping the prices and caps high only harms most players. On the contrary, I have repeatedly called to LOWER the GTN price caps. I literally CANNOT buy a black & black dye any way anymore other than to shell out yet another 20 bucks on CC.

I never exploited anything. I just sell stuff and have a lot of alts.

Keeping current GTN cap in place is like putting head in the sand to pretend the inflation isn't real.

Current GTN cap helps some traders make money quicker (for example: me), but hurts everyone else. It makes price discovery difficult for all items "worth" more than 1b - even if they are not rare.

I would suggest the cap should be raised to 1T, with similar increases to credit limits in other places.

Every item currently/regularly on the GTN (1b or less) proves you wrong here.

In my experience, items worth more than the GTN cap are seeing the most gouging and inflation because price discovery is difficult and competition limited (only competing with others actively spamming same item instead of all others that WTS within last 3 days or so).

Edited by Ulrah

GTN prices don't "harm" anybody. That's a melodramatic claim.

Once Galactic Season 2 begins, you'll once again be able to earn a lot of CC by playing the game and will have the opportunity to afford several of those "medicinal" black / black dye modules. You can even double the amount you buy if you have the sense to wait for the sale price.

Personally, I find the black / black dyes overpriced (on the Cartel market and the GTN). In other words, they aren't worth the price to me. I have a lot of cartel certificates from the night life event and log in rewards and prefer to just use them to buy the primary or secondary black dye modules.

The bottom line is that if the credit cost of vanity items on the GTN is ruining your gaming experience, then you are wasting your real money with a subscription.