Please increase the GTN credit cap and player credit cap

illgot

Why are you so stuck on using credit caps to attempt to control price?...

Why are you stuck on increasing it when it’s fine as it is?

All BioWare needs to do to cap inflation at a billion credits is curb the outside GTN trades and then add a scaled GTN tax system and a scaled non refundable listing price. That will discourage higher listings, but also tax those heavily who choose to list that high. It would remove a large amount of excess credits from the game.

With a 16% tax on items sold over 900 million and a non refundable list cost of 4%, you’d have a combined sales tax of 20% at the maximum rate.

But for items under 100,000, they could be taxed at 4% on items sold and 1% non refundable list cost. Which would give equate to a 5% GTN sales tax.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I'd prefer the following, if we're going down your route of capping all sales at 1B. (Obviously you'd have to eliminate trading between players. There are second and third order effects to that one)

1) GTN sales are capped at 1B

2) Depost is non-refundable

3) Deposit is a flat percentage. Say 5%. Want to sell that THLS for 1B? Fine. But there is a 20 m non-refundable deposit every time.

The upside is you will stop "inflation". The downside is at a minimum two-fold: One, prices will increase across the board. Two, the GTN will be a: PLayer_A: "I am selling X on the GTN". Player_B: "I will buy it for X". Player A posts, player B (hopefully) buys.

As much as I dislike the current price increases as a buyer, as a seller, this is great. Items I was selling for 6 m two months ago are now going for north of 14m.

I still believe the proper compromise is a vendor selling "old' items for credits ONLY. Items are BoL

Why are you stuck on increasing it when it’s fine as it is?

All BioWare needs to do to cap inflation at a billion credits is curb the outside GTN trades and then add a scaled GTN tax system and a scaled non refundable listing price. That will discourage higher listings, but also tax those heavily who choose to list that high. It would remove a large amount of excess credits from the game.

With a 16% tax on items sold over 900 million and a non refundable list cost of 4%, you’d have a combined sales tax of 20% at the maximum rate.

But for items under 100,000, they could be taxed at 4% on items sold and 1% non refundable list cost. Which would give equate to a 5% GTN sales tax.

You have the most complicated proposal to address gtn cap and inflation I have seen (and that's not a compliment). Blocking player trades for this is like cutting off your arm because you have an itch on your hand.

You have the most complicated proposal to address gtn cap and inflation I have seen (and that's not a compliment). Blocking player trades for this is like cutting off your arm because you have an itch on your hand.

It’s not complicated at all. And if you think only one measure will address the issue, then you are sadly mistaken.

At the moment BioWare’s one announced attempt at fixing it will include removing conquest credits as a reward. But that’s not near enough to address the credits already in the game or put downward pressure on prices. Especially when you consider they will be removing 2 current credit sinks at the same time. I’m obviously referring to Amplifiers and the current gearing system that costs millions to gear.

We don’t know if BioWare have other measures planned or not. But even if they have new credit sinks at vendors, they won’t be enough to remove enough credits from the game in a regular and consistent manner. And wether BioWare will admit it or not, the GTN is by far the best credit sink in the game currently that can do that, so why not utilise it more to combat inflation on it.

Having a scaled sales tax is also more progressive as it targets the super rich, while allowing the smaller (or newer trading guys) a scaled tax to compete on the GTN. The higher something is sold for, the higher the tax.

Adding a non refundable listing cost is also a way to add some risk and control over people just always listing the highest or delisting-relisting to undercut others. I don’t think the listing cost percentage should be excessively high either because you will always have people trying to undercut you. Maybe you could get 50% of the cost back if it doesn’t sell.

And I also think it should be a scaled cost based on what you list your item at. I would start it at 1% and cap it at 4%.

But for the GTN credit sink taxes to work properly, you need to limit and funnel as much of the player to player trades onto the GTN. Which means you need to put a lower credit cap and lower item cap for player to player trades outside of the GTN. Someone else has also suggested limiting the number of times you can trade player to player (per legacy) within a certain time period. While I’m not sure that’s needed straight away, it should be considered if players then use it as a loop hole to bypass the GTN to sell to others via multiple trades.

If BioWare were to implement those measures, it would be a good start to applying downward pressure to the inflation on the GTN and cap inflationary prices at 1 billion credits.

Personally, I still don’t think that’s enough. If they really want to fix inflation and drive prices down they would need to increase supply of cheaper CM items on the GTN and also add some good cosmetic or increased functionality credit sinks. There are currently 2 really good ideas for these floating around the forums. I really hope BioWare sees them and considers those ideas for credit sinks.

• Thanks 1

It’s not complicated at all. And if you think only one measure will address the issue, then you are sadly mistaken.

At the moment BioWare’s one announced attempt at fixing it will include removing conquest credits as a reward. But that’s not near enough to address the credits already in the game or put downward pressure on prices. Especially when you consider they will be removing 2 current credit sinks at the same time. I’m obviously referring to Amplifiers and the current gearing system that costs millions to gear.

We don’t know if BioWare have other measures planned or not. But even if they have new credit sinks at vendors, they won’t be enough to remove enough credits from the game in a regular and consistent manner. And wether BioWare will admit it or not, the GTN is by far the best credit sink in the game currently that can do that, so why not utilise it more to combat inflation on it.

Having a scaled sales tax is also more progressive as it targets the super rich, while allowing the smaller (or newer trading guys) a scaled tax to compete on the GTN. The higher something is sold for, the higher the tax.

Adding a non refundable listing cost is also a way to add some risk and control over people just always listing the highest or delisting-relisting to undercut others. I don’t think the listing cost percentage should be excessively high either because you will always have people trying to undercut you. Maybe you could get 50% of the cost back if it doesn’t sell.

And I also think it should be a scaled cost based on what you list your item at. I would start it at 1% and cap it at 4%.

But for the GTN credit sink taxes to work properly, you need to limit and funnel as much of the player to player trades onto the GTN. Which means you need to put a lower credit cap and lower item cap for player to player trades outside of the GTN. Someone else has also suggested limiting the number of times you can trade player to player (per legacy) within a certain time period. While I’m not sure that’s needed straight away, it should be considered if players then use it as a loop hole to bypass the GTN to sell to others via multiple trades.

If BioWare were to implement those measures, it would be a good start to applying downward pressure to the inflation on the GTN and cap inflationary prices at 1 billion credits.

Personally, I still don’t think that’s enough. If they really want to fix inflation and drive prices down they would need to increase supply of cheaper CM items on the GTN and also add some good cosmetic or increased functionality credit sinks. There are currently 2 really good ideas for these floating around the forums. I really hope BioWare sees them and considers those ideas for credit sinks.

I am totally opposed to listing fees that aren't refunded when the listing expires. Sometimes there's just not a buyer even if the listing is fair and obviously, less rare things see undercutting and a majority of undercutting is 1 credit (like that really helps the buyer or drives down the cost in any way). There are much better credit sinks being proposed.

We also have to understand that you won't turn back time. The prices aren't going to go down until the item is no longer desirable. All the credit sinks in the world won't drop the Crate-O-Matic down to 1M.

Let me bring up another thought that keeps occurring to me. It sure seems to me that quite a few people on here that have already amassed great "game wealth" would like to see prices stabilize. That's curious since the old adage "it takes money to make money" plays a big part in acquiring game wealth. So, why are the whales making these proposals now? Perhaps they want a rest from "doing the work" to keep themselves in a comfortable state. Maybe they want to have the option of leaving the game for an extended time, but should they decide to return, still be in a position of great wealth. Maybe some just want to hold others back from being able to amass the same wealth as them or at the very least make it take longer. As it stands right now a player can make a brand new account and if they are familiar with the market, can easily surpass these whales in credits in one-year's time if they dedicate themselves to acquiring credits. It will take way less time if inflation continues at the current rate. Now, This isn't an AH HA!!" moment. It's just something I can't help wondering about.

Now for a tongue in cheek thought: Maybe Bioware's biggest credit sink plan is to simply drive the whales away. We've seen a lot of drama tied to the upcoming Xpac by long-time players. It wouldn't be right to remove hard-earned credits from players across the board, but maybe if they can just get half of those old whales to stop playing, a lot of credits would be in essence removed from the game.

Now for a tongue in cheek thought: Maybe Bioware's biggest credit sink plan is to simply drive the whales away. We've seen a lot of drama tied to the upcoming Xpac by long-time players. It wouldn't be right to remove hard-earned credits from players across the board, but maybe if they can just get half of those old whales to stop playing, a lot of credits would be in essence removed from the game.

If I intended to leave the game permanently, I would give way ALL of my credits first. And I’m sure some others would too. I would only keep them if I was taking a short break. The scenario you propose wouldn’t work to “credit sink” my accumulated wealth. I’ve already given away 20 billion credits in the last month because I’ve too many and I’ll be taking a break for a while. So if that’s BioWares idea, it will fail.

I am totally opposed to listing fees that aren't refunded when the listing expires. Sometimes there's just not a buyer even if the listing is fair and obviously, less rare things see undercutting and a majority of undercutting is 1 credit (like that really helps the buyer or drives down the cost in any way). There are much better credit sinks being proposed.

We also have to understand that you won't turn back time. The prices aren't going to go down until the item is no longer desirable. All the credit sinks in the world won't drop the Crate-O-Matic down to 1M.

Let me bring up another thought that keeps occurring to me. It sure seems to me that quite a few people on here that have already amassed great "game wealth" would like to see prices stabilize. That's curious since the old adage "it takes money to make money" plays a big part in acquiring game wealth. So, why are the whales making these proposals now? Perhaps they want a rest from "doing the work" to keep themselves in a comfortable state. Maybe they want to have the option of leaving the game for an extended time, but should they decide to return, still be in a position of great wealth. Maybe some just want to hold others back from being able to amass the same wealth as them or at the very least make it take longer. As it stands right now a player can make a brand new account and if they are familiar with the market, can easily surpass these whales in credits in one-year's time if they dedicate themselves to acquiring credits. It will take way less time if inflation continues at the current rate. Now, This isn't an AH HA!!" moment. It's just something I can't help wondering about.

Eight months ago a black dye was 80-100 million credits, now that dye can cost 600-800 million credits. What will prices look like eight months from now? How well will the GTN function as a credit sink if any item that costs more than 1000 CC goes for 1.5-2 billion credits?

The GTN cap needs to increase so our last effective credit sink remains functional. I don't care if some people get wealthier because of they can now use the GTN to sell their 5 billion credit item, the economy as a whole will be better because now that 5 billion credit item will have 8% of the sale permanently removed from the game.

• 11 months later...

It's been a year, maybe players can now accept that the GTN cap needs to be raised, player caps need to be raised, credits need to either be blocked from being accepted or auto-deposited into the legacy bank if the player will go over the 4.29 billion, and credit sinks need to be taken more seriously.

I'm going to add another suggestion. Start taxing all credit transactions between different accounts 8%. This includes mailed credits, credit transfers via guild bank, and traded credits.

Taxing everything will sting but it will also remove a lot of credits in the game, mostly from credit farmers. The way credit farmers work is they have thousands of accounts earning credits with bots. They deposit those credit into multiple primary banks (taxed 8% with this suggestion), then mail those credits out to players once purchase (taxed 8% again with this suggestion). That will at minimum permanently remove 8-16% of the credits illicit third party sellers introduce into the economy before they arrive to players.

Edited by illgot

4 hours ago, illgot said:

It's been a year, maybe players can now accept that the GTN cap needs to be raised, player caps need to be raised, credits need to either be blocked from being accepted or auto-deposited into the legacy bank if the player will go over the 4.29 billion, and credit sinks need to be taken more seriously.

I hope so. The GTN is the best credit sink the game has right now. It's baffling how much resistance this suggestion gets.

12 minutes ago, microstyles said:

I hope so. The GTN is the best credit sink the game has right now. It's baffling how much resistance this suggestion gets.

The resistance to inflation is because the more ultra-rich people you have in the game, the less likely it is for newer players to get some of the items that they want. The reason they have been resisting the cap, is because they want the inflation dealt with.

For example, they could change Cartel Market items so that they are bound to account once purchased on GTN, and add a new tag for [GTN Only] as the only way to trade an item to other players. The highest item would then be 1b, and reselling items that are being underlisted would completely vanish. Items would be sold to players who would use them, and not be constantly traded for higher amounts of credits. Some players would get great deals on items, and inflation as we know it would be way lower. Relisting should not be a SWTOR profession, especially as it contributes to the current situation we find ourselves in.

Anyway, that's one of the reasons, and one possible (but not probable) solution.

There is no reason what so ever to up the credit limit, nor the gtn cap. No, just no. It will be like peeing in the pants on a frosty day. Fun and warm for the first 2-3 minutes, then it sets in with frostbite. And then you lose a lot more than just the "cant write that here because of censor". 

The credit problem in this game, is too far advanced to be dealt with in a reasonable way, but there is no reason at all to make it even worse just because you want your inflated e-"cant write that here because of censor" to be even bigger.

Edited by MortenJessen
censor my ###
  • Like 1

You are all aware that trades happen over the GTN limit all the time right? The cap just forces people to do those trades in a tax free environment where it's harder to compare prices. If those trades get moved to the GTN the tax should help with inflation and the competition should lower prices.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, illgot said:

remove 8-16%

On a side note, I'm not sure why it took me so long to realize this, but it's still 8%. If I charge you 20M for an item, and you turn around and sell it for 1B, and they take 8% from us both, it's still 8% of 8.02B credits. Pulling 8% from all of the transactions for all of the items in the game, it will still be 8% on each transaction, and 8% for all transactions.

This isn't meant to counter your thread, but just a nerd thing I noticed, and then couldn't stop thinking about. lol

25 minutes ago, WHTJunior said:

On a side note, I'm not sure why it took me so long to realize this, but it's still 8%. If I charge you 20M for an item, and you turn around and sell it for 1B, and they take 8% from us both, it's still 8% of 8.02B credits. Pulling 8% from all of the transactions for all of the items in the game, it will still be 8% on each transaction, and 8% for all transactions.

This isn't meant to counter your thread, but just a nerd thing I noticed, and then couldn't stop thinking about. lol

Yes and no. I'm not an accountant but each credit transfer between accounts would be an 8% tax. If credits are transferred multiple times, it will tax those credits 8% each time.

If a player buys credits and the sellers have enough credits on one account and that same account farmed all the credits to cover the purchase it will only be an 8% tax once. If the credit sellers use thousands of FTP accounts to freely earn credits, then they mail those credits to a primary account with a subscription to hold the credits, and then that primary account mails the credits to players those credits would be taxed twice. Taxed 8% to transfer the credits to a primary account, then another 8% to mail the credits to a player.

Edited by illgot

** I do agree that "trades" should be taxed (particularly since so many of the big-ticket items are now being sold that way).  Perhaps a credit limit or threshold should be set in place with that (anything over 100MIL?)  Just a thought!
** Removing credits from completed objectives is not entirely a good idea (particularly given the cost of repairs and how easy it is to die these days (aver cost of repairs is usually well over 25K.)
** Reducing the number of credits from completing objectives might help IF we are able to have access to other items as rewards such as MODS  or other gear items that will directly affect the players ability to have access to said items outside the context of running to the GTN to purchase said items.

CM items:  Usually items that are a part of larger packaging (such as) aquariums, cameras, armor tops / bottoms and weapons are usually the highest priced items.  In short:  armor items (used primarily as appearance items)  deco items and weapons  (whether appearance, sound or lore) provide that in game "feel" or eye appeal for the decerning player.  This has a price tag attached.  The GTN is where we go to find stuff we want for those needs.  If it's a CM item then the CM needs to compete with the GTN????  Yeah ... I'm really asking that as a question.  (more food for thought).

32 minutes ago, illgot said:

If the credit sellers use thousands of FTP accounts to freely earn credits, then they mail those credits to a primary account with a subscription to hold the credits, and then that primary account mails the credits to players those credits would be taxed twice.

I don't think F2P can send mail, or so I've read. They could still do this transfer indirectly by having the F2P account buy random items from the primary account on the GTN in 1m increments. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, microstyles said:

I don't think F2P can send mail, or so I've read. They could still do this transfer indirectly by having the F2P account buy random items from the primary account on the GTN in 1m increments. 

Right, sorry was thinking deposit into the guild bank but I had to double check even that. Looks like FTP are blocked from depositing even in the guild bank so I guess all credit farmers are subscribers/preferred accounts only which would reduce that to one transfer unless for some reason they are pooling credits in a few key accounts (which wouldn't make sense).

Edited by illgot

6 minutes ago, illgot said:

Right, sorry was thinking deposit into the guild bank but I had to double check, looks like FTP are blocked from depositing even in the guild bank so I guess all credit farmers are subscribers/preferred accounts only.

Agreed!  Plus they would have to have the ability to "store" the multi-billions of credits.  I'd guess that only subscriber accounts would probably have access to that part of the game! (Just guessing).

5 hours ago, OlBuzzard said:

Would 10 billion work?  If that does ...  how long before we see 100 billion.

The other side of that is the frustration. 

[/facepalm]

I have to admit ... this is ONE BIG mess!  Going to 10 billion might be a temporary fix at least.

I agree, but only if BioWare also decide to combat inflation in the game & add other measures to put downward pressure on GTN prices. 

Otherwise, it’s just a Band-Aid fix until the 10 billion cap is reached too. But it is something they could do in the short term while they made adjustments & changes to combat inflation.

We all discussed this 12-36 months ago about multiple ways BioWare can do this. I feel like the easiest thing they could do is read through those forum threads for all the ideas the community came up with.

I think every idea, wether good, bad or ugly has already been presented to BioWare over that 24 month period. We just need them to act. 

• Like 1

I think I will quote myself:

On 11/26/2022 at 9:11 PM, MortenJessen said:

There are only so many ways inflation can be dealt with. And contrary to what people are let to believe, rising prices are not inflation. Inflation is the influxes of more money into circulation, meaning they will have less and less value the more money that are being printed and put into circulation. Rising prices are just a result of this inflation. Because the purchasing power is lowered at X rate over Y time, inflation leads to lower demand-pull, leading sellers to demand ever higher prices, making savings even less worth, rinse repeat.

In a game like SWTOR, most real world tools like regulating interests on savings will not work. Making regulations on demand-pull or selling bonds to high-rollers to get them to send much needed money into government pockets that can be used to generate needed boosts in production (public spending, infrastructure, hospitals, you name it) or lowering the taxes on the worst hit segments of the population, giving them more buying power can not be done for obvious reasons. In the real world, that would (ideally) create a state of stagnation in the economy. The first step to get inflation under control.

But those options are not possible in SWTOR, for reasons.

To get a segment economy like this inside SWTOR under control (note that I try to use real world options and ideas) one would need 5 or 6 steps, and most of them would make the players hate BW.

1)      Demand for money sinks. Return costs for training of skills and change of abilities. Make unlocks cost small amounts of credits not cartel coins (and I mean small amounts, to also allow f2p and new players to have those options). And I DON’T mean unlocks of costumes, weapons, pets, mounts or the like from collections, I mean game mechanisms. See 6.

2)      Slow down the leveling rate (e.g. cut exp gains with a factor 10 or 12 (back to the good old 1.0 to 4.0 days)). And return the credit gain from completing missions to same level. Why? To make credits come at a slow natural way through effort. This also happens to give players a reason to play the entire game and all missions, so win/win for BW. Players, who make credits this way, tend to be more selective on how and on what they spend them. That’s actually good for the economy.

3)      Tax. Most of the ideas I have read in this thread is downright useless when it comes to taxing, and just shows that the players are more interested in not cutting into their own income. Really? The tax on GTN needs to be divided into 3 levels, depending on the amount of money an item is put up for. Level 1 = 30 % for less than 100 million. Level 2 = 40% for between 100 million and 500 million. Level 3 = 50% for above 500 million. Those tax levels are about the only way to combat the pricing of valueless pixels so high that even real world central banks would sweat. An added benefit of this is that those who plays the GTN will not be able to do so with out losing money. Thats good for economy, cutting down speculation.

4)      Remove the option to trade player to player, and the option of mailing credits, it has the added benefit of killing off gold sellers. That happens to both benefit BW and the in-game economy. 

5)      Make crafting a thing again. And put real credit value on ALL special crafting mats, and stop gating them behind content. That way, value can be calculated. Good for economy.

6)      And lastly. FIX EXCHANGE RATES. Make fixed values of items, services (like GTN slots) conveniences (like character slots, species, and more)  and cosmetics that can be unlocked, either after being bought directly from CM or GTN, have a related credit value that rises automatically depending on the amount of credits you have in total on your legacy.  

I KNOW much of this will be frowned upon, but that is about what realistically can be done. And I know it will be painful. But the game is running low on options with any lasting effect. And this will have a lasting effect, not just push larger problems ahead into the future.

Especially the problem of cartel coins floating around is a sensitive matter, because most players has developed the idea that free coins are a human right. Fun fact; you dont even have the right to those 600 coins you get each month for subbing. Thats NOT free, it is a token from BW saying thanks for your money. NOT FREE. Aside from those 600 coins each month, the real deal that would help a lot on the economy is to cut the amount of coins players can get with out having to spend real money to the bare minimum. Period. 

Edited by MortenJessen

1 hour ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I agree, but only if BioWare also decide to combat inflation in the game & add other measures to put downward pressure on GTN prices. 

Otherwise, it’s just a Band-Aid fix until the 10 billion cap is reached too. But it is something they could do in the short term while they made adjustments & changes to combat inflation.

We all discussed this 12-36 months ago about multiple ways BioWare can do this. I feel like the easiest thing they could do is read through those forum threads for all the ideas the community came up with.

I think every idea, wether good, bad or ugly has already been presented to BioWare over that 24 month period. We just need them to act. 

this was my thought. Credit sinks are probably the best way to fix this economy. These take time to design, program, and implement. Then it takes additional time for those credit sinks to take an effect on the economy. No credit sink is going to instantly stabilize or fix the economy over night.

If the GTN has room to grow over the next couple of years we can make use with the best credit sink in the game, the 8% GTN tax.

On 1/23/2022 at 10:34 AM, BRKMSN said:

Old WHALES !!  LOL!!  I had to re-read and make sure it wasn't Ol'Buzzards!!!

😉

(Wouldn't be the first time someone wished the old fart would just leave! ...  probably won't be the last either!)

I have waited for twenty thousand years, but I will wait no long- wait wrong quote

I have said it a lot of times, BW should:

1) Raise the GTN cap: now 4B will be the limit because personal inventory cap. But with 64 bits, we *might* be able to have higher cap. 15B should be reasonable since a Hypercrate is 10-12B nowadays.

2) Limit Trade and Mail: 1 item + 10m a time between different players/accounts should be more than enough to do whatever Trade and Mail are supposed to do (give operation drops to the person who wants it. Give free credits to help a newbie etc.)

I mean, details apparently needed to be sorted out and nothing is perfect: people will demand to Trade their Tulak Hord's saber with 1 Hypercrate instead of selling it for the GTN cap, even if we raise it to 15B. But whatever they do, they need to force *most* people back to the GTN and limit other selling/buying methods because the GTN is the most reliable huge credit sink in this game.