How to make the new merged lowbies-mids work (maybe)

HaoZhao

If you are in warzones at level 10, you get a permanent 70% damage reduction until the end of the match. This effect would be 10% weaker for every utility point you have access to. You start super tanky and then gradually go back down the normal. If this ends up being OP, its still good because it would encourage those cowards who just hide in mids for months at level 70+ to actually go fight the 75s

I'm going to join the boat of eliminating all brackets and just letting players select talents during the 1 minute before gates drop. eliminate back fill. ppl leave/dc, you deal with it or not. it's no more cruel than forcing back fills to play in someone else's mess w/o the option to leave. two birds, one stone.

Yep, I think Bioware’s ultimate goal will be getting rid of brackets as population declines more. So the only fair way to balance classes from different Lvls, skills and gear is to boost all players to max lvl and give them a basic set of gear, max abilities and utilities.

There are a few ways to do this. Other games like GW2 send players who queue for pvp into a seperate instance where they have to equip gear and choose their skill tree options and setup before clicking on the real queue mechanism that puts you into fights. They have dueling areas, dummies and vendors in these instances to give people something to do while they wait. It isn’t a perfect system especially when their skill tree options are 100x more convoluted and bigger than swtors. It can be very confusing to new players. I think there is a better option for swtor.

When a player below max level queues for the first time, the system could take them into a tutorial instance that allows them to set up their utilities and abilities bar. This is then set up so everytime they pop into a match, it automatically sets up the player task bar and utilities.

The gear can be handled by allowing players to buy the old generic bonus set shells from a vendor at lvl 10. They can then add mods that suit their character level as they lvl up. The low stats shouldn’t matter too much because booster should work enough to bolster them to max lvl gear with stats that would also account for generic augments.

Bioware would need to work heavily on the match making system to try and not put too many of the generic geared players against the players geared through end game. That doesn’t mean some generic or lower lvl players wouldn’t sometimes be against end game players, they would, but only if they were higher enough skilled to deal with them.

Sadly, this is the part of the system that has me worried the most because Bioware can’t even get regs matchmaking as it is to work properly and they refuse to tell us the hidden ELO theyve for the matchmaking. So we can’t even test to see where the problems are. At least in ranked, players can see their ELO and who they are put with or matched against people well above or below their skill bracket. We need this ability in regs to understand what’s happening and provide feed back about the system. It’s obvious it’s got problems and even ranked matchmaking still has issues, but they can provide feed back and screen shots to show Chris where the problems are. We can’t currently do that for regs.

one of the best mmo's with a pvp balance is guild wars 1 and 2.. bioware can take from them.. once you reach level 10, you que for a warzone.. you get boosted to level 75 with all skills and talent tree.. make it 3 minute wait before warzone so people can choose the talents.. problem solved..

this would make people learn how to play there class properly.. as they be facing veterans at level 75.. also when they get scaled include the augments..at least advance augment 74.. that way all class skills and talents.. it would be a even fight.. then it will come down to skill and who is the better player..

doing it this way.. you can do level 10-75.. also this would solve alot of population problems.. people need to learn there class and best way is to play against veterans..

Edited by Xertasian

one of the best mmo's with a pvp balance is guild wars 1 and 2.. bioware can take from them.. once you reach level 10, you que for a warzone.. you get boosted to level 75 with all skills and talent tree.. make it 3 minute wait before warzone so people can choose the talents.. problem solved..

this would make people learn how to play there class properly.. as they be facing veterans at level 75.. also when they get scaled include the augments..at least advance augment 74.. that way all class skills and talents.. it would be a even fight.. then it will come down to skill and who is the better player..

doing it this way.. you can do level 10-75.. also this would solve alot of population problems.. people need to learn there class and best way is to play against veterans..

GW 1 still has pvp going on, i logged in the other day and saw a match happening.

I approve of the idea to follow GW's lead on pushing everyone to max level/skill tree, but in making the GW comparison, keep in mind that you're asking a casual, RP-heavy MMORPG (SWTOR) for which PVP was created as a side game addon, to a MMORPG that is basically designed around world vs. world pvp (GW2).

it's like asking an 80cc scooter to keep pace with a 600cc crotch rocket. I think this game just needs to focus on bringing class abilities in-line with the (lack of) capabilities with its game engine. then worry about brackets. then worry about potential map selection/opt-outs.

Yep, I think Bioware’s ultimate goal will be getting rid of brackets as population declines more. So the only fair way to balance classes from different Lvls, skills and gear is to boost all players to max lvl and give them a basic set of gear, max abilities and utilities.

Trixxie, I have nothing against you. Please believe me when I say that I mean no disrespect or offence while I explain why another one of your ideas is truly terrible.

You propose that lowbie PVP, which is meant to be introductory PVP for new players, should take those new players from having like 5 moves on Tython to a warzone where they are tasked with:

-Putting 30 abilities to key bindings

-Learning what all of those abilities do to the point of being able to compete with players who have years of experience under their belts

-Assigning 9 utility points

-Choosing from half a dozen tacticals

-Choosing from half a dozen set bonuses.

BioWare COULD do that or they could not do that. Not do it on grounds that it is absolutely insane. If BioWare were to lose their minds and do this, why bother with the levelling process at all? May as well abolish levels, entirely, and start the game with 30 abilities. The entire point of the levelling process is to slowly easy players into their classes. Gaining one or two abilities at a time and slowly adjusting to how each new move fits into a combat rotation.

Simply giving everyone access to complete sets of items is also on the verge of insanity. This is an MMO. Obtaining all of your gear is absolutely supposed to be a project that you accomplish over time by playing the game. If BioWare gave you everything for doing nothing, then the game is over. It would be content without meaningful rewards.

In fact, what you're suggesting raises all kinds of strange questions. If your character in PVP is completely divorced from your character in the rest of the game, why even have it in SWTOR at all? May as well just split it off into its own game.

Edited by HaoZhao

As a new player i dont find level difference much of a problem, and 1 day you get to lv50 or something anyway, the difference in skill is the problem, cause i can't enjoy casual low-medium skill pvp game, and after a while i get tired of being farmed by better players and quit.

The most balanced game in terms of matchmaking that ive played was dota, the game made me feel that I can win

, and bad or good decisions were obvious.

In this game is either my team carries me or i just hit some invincible targets most of the time.

Edited by ALTHEORUS