Regarding the News about Combat Styles

IramUnleashed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it truly is a technical problem I am guessing the cartel token like that would only really let you switch your 2nd combat style

Oh I don't even doubt that it may very well be a technical problem. I just think when they fix it, a price tag will be attached.

Anyway, just another way 9.0 is a let down.

Exactly.

People would be less upset if Bioware list and answer the can and cannot regarding combat styles instead of staying silent until it's less than two weeks before the 7.o launch date. At least they won't feel like they are being fooled.

Oh, and the fact that at least one of the developers is being more active and answers more questions on whatever unofficial discord he's in instead of the official forum here speaks for itself :rolleyes:

Yea, not sure what to make of that. I am not a fan of discord, but do have one for SWG Legends but that is different. The devs of SWTOR should be on this site to answer questions as well. There are two theories I am tossing around about why they discuss it on discord and not here (1) Trying to limit the number of people that know (bad business sense) (2) They really didn't want people to know so thought talking about it on discord would keep it quiet. Either way was wrong but then again what is new. They have done this too many times and this is why a lot of people have very little (if any) trust in them anymore.

Edited by casirabit

What really annoys me is that 1) they knew that weeks ago. Waiting 10 days before release to say it is... not good practice (I'm being nice) ; 2) there's still conflicting info about this regarding force users and chapter 3 requirements. Frankly, important messages should be posted here, not on some unofficial discord.

The worst part really is that now their main hyped change will be locked behind a subscription for old players. Realistically... How many people are going to want to start a new character after 10 years just to enjoy the changes?

Really, if they really cared about their play base, they would remove the subscription requirement for the second combat style - period.

I never planned to have two combat styles, I just wanted to switch my force users to the correct spec that goes with their alignment, but now I won't be able to do it unless I keep subscribing. And none of the other changes make me want to keep being subscribed (at 100k CQ I won't have time to play more than 10 characters anyway, and don't get me started about the weekly upgrade limits).

So yeah. Not a happy customer here.

Edited by Pricia

I thought it was kind of weird that only Force classes were going to be able to swap imp/pub animation specs -- and not tech classes.

But the only thing I'm annoyed with about it all is that I will have to waste a Combat Style slot to throw lightning on my Sage (instead of those awful pebbles).

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I just saw how we aren't able to switch over preexisting characters original advanced class. I made a Dark Knight in full preparation for being able to do, now what is no longer possible. I have gear, now bound, that is pointless for them to have. I spent millions of credits on that gear on the GTN, as well as cartel coins to prepare this character. Now, for nothing. Thanks a lot. I don't have the means to make another with that gear.

you.... YOU BOUGHT GEAR from the GTN ?????????

The game throws loot at you on a very high rate, why are you spending money on GTN?

It's very easy and fast to be full 306 BiS.

I thought it was kind of weird that only Force classes were going to be able to swap imp/pub animation specs -- and not tech classes.

But the only thing I'm annoyed with about it all is that I will have to waste a Combat Style slot to throw lightning on my Sage (instead of those awful pebbles).

With this announcement saying they now can’t do X,Y,Z, they should open up a 3rd combat style as compensation.

We already suspect they had/have plans to offer it as a CM paid item later next year. If that’s the case, then it should be free to subscribers.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I completely agree about the 3rd combat style slot, especially considering that the devs said that they'd be open to having more slots in the future anyway. At the very very least, people who sub should be given a free character token + server slot (though the 3rd combat style slot would be much better).

Current players won't be able to change their combat style, will have abilities removed and won't be able to play the game their way to get the best gear :(

Edited by LordCamTheGreat

So for the 10 year anniversary; those of us with 10 year old characters are chopped liver? Cool, and after they took a chainsaw to class abilities too.

Us old timers that have been here for the past decade can just go back to eating mud I guess lol

There has been no change in the design of the Force Origin Story Considerations, which was first shared in this post. You can listen to me talking about all of these restrictions, and expand on why and the philosophy behind these decisions in the linked podcast in the post.

However, to build upon Jackie’s clarification post here, we wanted to give Force Origin Story players some choice when the 7.0 update releases. So all pre-7.0 Force characters that have opposite alignment to their current class will be given the option to swap their primary combat style to the opposite aligned equivalent upon logging in post-7.0.

Phew -- glad I can still swap my dark side sage to sith animations. Lightning > pebbles

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

From what people are saying that was posted in the sooper seecrit Discord channel by a dev, you do not have the ability to change your Force user's initial combat style unless you haven't unlocked Dark/Light V already.

This is about the first combat style only:

- Force user characters need to have unlocked Dark/Light V achievement on their legacy even if through other characters

- additionally, the Force user characters should have Dark/Light alignment opposite to their faction (Imp character should have Light I or above etc)

- the Force user characters can only switch to their mirror (opposite faction) advanced class only; not to any other advanced class

- non-force user characters cannot change their first combat style; it will be forced to what their current advanced class is

They're removing the Dark and Light point acquisition and the DvL on-screen toggle so you cannot change your alignment from what it is now (except if you farm the Dark or Light points before 12/14/21 on your existing characters)

Can you feel the excitement tonight?

Edited by mike_carton

So all pre-7.0 Force characters that have opposite alignment to their current class will be given the option to swap their primary combat style to the opposite aligned equivalent upon logging in post-7.0.

This means if you are a Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular, and have at least 1 Dark Side point away from 0, you will be given this choice. Likewise, if you are a Sith Warrior or Sith Inquisitor, and have at least 1 Light Side point away from 0, you will be given this choice. This will be regardless of any Legacy unlocks or otherwise. Once that character is in the game, and the swap choice has been made or refused, the rules as described above will still apply.

Based on this, it suggests that for the option to even APPEAR so you can change your force user to mirror playstyle, you ll need to have opposite alignment points.

The light/Dark V achievements dont seem to matter here, they were mentioned for specifically starting new characters or the 2nd combatstyle where new players without them might not have access to opposite alignment classes but if you have those there are no such restrictions.

But for existing characters to change, what seems to matter is their CURRENT ALIGNMENT, something that should have been stated in bold cuz I am expecting people to not have the correct alignment and wonder why they dont have access to the ability to change their initial one to mirror.

Based on this, it suggests that for the option to even APPEAR so you can change your force user to mirror playstyle, you ll need to have opposite alignment points.

The light/Dark V achievements dont seem to matter here, they were mentioned for specifically starting new characters or the 2nd combatstyle where new players without them might not have access to opposite alignment classes but if you have those there are no such restrictions.

But for existing characters to change, what seems to matter is their CURRENT ALIGNMENT, something that should have been stated in bold cuz I am expecting people to not have the correct alignment and wonder why they dont have access to the ability to change their initial one to mirror.

BioWare really do need to make an effort to CLEARLY communicate that to the much wider population before 7.0 releases and with enough time so that people can try and gain 1 lvl of opposite light/dark (depending on their faction).

Otherwise there are going to be many upset and confused players when 7.0 is released. Which will turn some people away from the game. I can already imagine the forum posts and arguments if this information isn’t disseminate properly well before the 14th.

BioWare posting in the general section with its own sticky yellow (instead of into an obscure PTS thread) would be a good start. More exposure and visibility across other media would also prepare the player base.

They have less than a week to do this effectively before it’s too late and it does more damage to their reputation.

No. Its current alignment OR achievement. In other words. If you are playing a DS Sith Warrior and have Light 5 achieve you can select Guardian Abilities even though you are Dark 3 currently on the toon becuase you have the achievement.

This change is more for people who DO NOT have Dark 5 or Light 5 achieve. Since they are playing a LS Sith Warrior and dont have Light 5 achieve they can still pick the Jedi Mirror. However if you have both Light 5 and Dark 5 achieves you can select a Sith Warrior with Guardian abilities from the character select screen or in game regardless of alignment. Basically with the achievement you have no restrictions. You follow?

Also to clarify for the OP you CAN change you primary combat style from say Sith Jugge to Jedi Guardian however you can NOT change your primary to say Sorcerer. You would have to pick that as your secondary combat style. You CAN select your mirror on your primary style

Edited by Zergnaut

No. Its current alignment OR achievement. In other words.

This change is more for people who DO NOT have Dark 5 or Light 5 achieve.

They literally start the statement with "pre-7.0 Force characters" and literally say you need the opposite alignment on those pre existing characters for the option to even APPEAR.

The dark/light 5 achievements were specifically mentioned when it comes to restrictions, restrictions in what combat styles you can have as a 2nd combat style or the restrictions when making a new character, as long as you have those achievements you face no restrictions in these areas while new players will.

Edited by ralphieceaser

I just saw how we aren't able to switch over preexisting characters original advanced class. I made a Dark Knight in full preparation for being able to do, now what is no longer possible.

Yes it is Possible OP. My Quote from the dev below proves it. At the bottom of this post is a quoted dev that explains more

To clear up some confusion we're reading, Force users will be able to change their first Combat Style to its mirror if they meet the Light or Dark-side alignment requirements to do so. That has not changed.

Unless you have Dark 5 and Light 5 achieves then you can select your mirror even if you a Dark 3 on your Sith Warrior. Having said achieves remove all restrictions as chris explains below and as it was on the PTS

They literally start the statement with "pre-7.0 Force characters" and literally say you need the opposite alignment on those pre existing characters for the option to even APPEAR.

The dark/light 5 achievements were specifically mentioned when it comes to restrictions, restrictions in what combat styles you can have as a 2nd combat style or the restrictions when making a new character, as long as you have those achievements you face no restrictions in these areas while new players will.

You are misunderstanding. Im sorry but you are and they didnt explain it very well in the post that was quoted here. They clarified this better on in one of their discords. What I said is how it was on PTS in the last build before it went down. Also its what they said on one of their discord channels I just dont remember which one.

Having Dark 5 and Light 5 achieves removes all restrictions. So if your current Jedi Guardian is Light 2 you can still select the Sith Jugger abilities as you Primary style if you have Dark 5 achievement. If you dont have the achieve its based on your current characters alignment

When they said you cant change your primary style they meant you cant change from a Jugger to a Sorc however you can select your Pub side Mirror as your primary style.

This is how it was on the PTS and they confirmed on one of their discords how it is on the PTS in the latest build is how would be when it went live.

This explains a tad better. Proves you cant change your primary advance class but you can still select the Jedi/Sith mirror to your primary advance class

Hi all,

I wanted to jump in and try and clarify some of the potential confusion in this thread.

There are two different topics here: The ability for existing players to change the Combat Style upon logging in to the 7.0 Game Update, and the rules around characters with Force Origin Stories when they are offered an option to swap Combat Styles with their opposite-aligned mirror.

Existing Characters and Combat Styles

• As Jackie posted, we fully intended for current characters to be able to choose a preferred Combat Style upon logging in for Game Update 7.0. We have worked for some time to try and make this happen, but recently ran into some technical hurdles that unfortunately prevents us from supporting this. So, as a result, when you log into the game after 7.0, your primary Combat Style will be your current Advanced Class. Choosing your Advanced Class was designed to be a permanent choice, and we will continue this with Combat Styles. We have no current plans to introduce a method to change one of your Combat Styles.
  • As we previously stated, the ability to have a second Combat Style and the additional Loadouts that come with it are features for active subscribers. Related to this topic, we did see a question being asked of “what happens to my second Combat Style if my subscription lapses?”. In short, your “second” Combat Style will become unusable including its Loadouts. Note the quotations around the word second. If your subscription lapses, your useable Combat Style will be the one you last logged out on when the cancellation hits your account. This means that if you log out on your primary Combat Style, you will continue to be able to play with that one and its Loadouts. If you log out on your secondary Combat Style, you will continue to be able to play with that one and its Loadouts. Essentially, whichever Combat Style is active when your sub lapses is the one you will continue to use when you log back in.

Force Origin Story Considerations

• Force Origin Stories have some special considerations, since there are some restrictions in Combat Style choice that Tech Origin Stories do not share.
  • To a brand new player, or a player who has not unlocked their Dark V/Light V achievements in their Legacy (Legacy of Sacrifice and Legacy of Unity), they are not presented with the option to choose an opposite-aligned Combat Style at character create nor when they unlock their second Combat Style, with one exception:
    • If a player without these unlocks has been playing their character with opposite aligned morality, such as a Jedi Origin Story as a Dark Side character, or a Sith Origin Story as a Light Side character, they will receive the option to swap their current Combat Style to the opposite alignment equivalent upon completing their Act 3 story. In addition, when they are prompted to select their second Combat Style, they will have all Force Combat Styles available to them.

[*]Force Origin Story players who have already unlocked Light V/Dark V achievements will not see any restrictions, and all Combat Styles are available to them at both character create and when choosing their second Combat Style

There has been no change in the design of the Force Origin Story Considerations, which was first shared in this post. You can listen to me talking about all of these restrictions, and expand on why and the philosophy behind these decisions in the linked podcast in the post.

However, to build upon Jackie’s clarification post here, we wanted to give Force Origin Story players some choice when the 7.0 update releases. So all pre-7.0 Force characters that have opposite alignment to their current class will be given the option to swap their primary combat style to the opposite aligned equivalent upon logging in post-7.0.

This means if you are a Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular, and have at least 1 Dark Side point away from 0, you will be given this choice. Likewise, if you are a Sith Warrior or Sith Inquisitor, and have at least 1 Light Side point away from 0, you will be given this choice. This will be regardless of any Legacy unlocks or otherwise. Once that character is in the game, and the swap choice has been made or refused, the rules as described above will still apply.

Finally, I wanted to address some comments around my clarifications in Discord about the above topic. What I stated in this post is still true. I have recently been trying to clarify confusion around swapping Force Combat Styles by repeating the same information we revealed in the podcast and linked in the official forums. I will typically include a link to the official sources to reinforce where this information originated from. Any new information around Combat Styles or any other topic will be shared through official channels such as our blogs, the forums, our livestreams, etc… and those mediums will be used to reinforce or clarify any questions being answered elsewhere.

Thanks,

-Chris

Edited by Zergnaut

I hope my post above post clears the air for some of you. Seems to be a lot of confusion here

If you check a bit after the area you highlighted you will find this

So all pre-7.0 Force characters that have opposite alignment to their current class will be given the option to swap their primary combat style to the opposite aligned equivalent upon logging in post-7.0.

This means if you are a Jedi Knight or Jedi Consular, and have at least 1 Dark Side point away from 0, you will be given this choice. Likewise, if you are a Sith Warrior or Sith Inquisitor, and have at least 1 Light Side point away from 0, you will be given this choice

Why would they add this specific section if what you highlighted included this?

Edited by ralphieceaser

If you check a bit after the area you highlighted you will find this

Why would they add this specific section if what you highlighted included this?

because ORGINALLY they said it would be based off Achievements for force users you couldn't select your mirror without the achievements. They changed their minds due to feedback on the PTS. So that changed. That passage you quoted is so people on a LS sith warrior could select the jedi mirror WITHOUT needing Light 5 achieve. Now its based of that current characters alignment to give newer players an option; however the caveat to that if you have the Dark 5 and Light 5 achievements that trumps that and removes that restriction along with all others. Thats why they added that in. So newer players did not feel SOL

In one of the discords the devs hang out in it was asked "if my current Sorcerer is Dark 2 and I have the Light 5 and Dark 5 achievement can I still select the Sage Mirror?" The answer was "if you have the Light 5 achievement then yes."

Again this is how it was in the latest build of the PTS also. I personally tested it there. So thats kind of a double confirmation there

Edited by Zergnaut

• 3 months later...
Okay. If I'm understanding this correctly, or actually correct me if I'm wrong. Say for example that I have a LS Sith Assassin on my account, and I'm given the choice to switch to Jedi Shadow as my primary. If I did that, would I be switching factions (from Sith Empire to Galactic Republic)? Or am I missing something? I'm just trying to understand this new aspect to the game.