Saboteur/Loyalist - what is this?

TziganeNZ

So, I've read threads that talk about Saboteur or Loyalist storylines. What exactly are these, and how do you trigger them?

Is it at that point on Iokath...

,,,when you have to choose between the Republic and the Empire (which really annoys me, as I want to stay independent), and either Quinn or Elara does the blowy-up thing?

On all my characters that have gotten that far (which aren't many)...

...they have gone back to their originating faction (somewhat grumpily, I might add). Is there any benefit to going against the grain or is it just a different set of conversations etc without impact on the overall story (which is the main thing for me)?

No, not Iokath.

When the 'Jedi Under Siege'/"Onslaught" expansion starts, your character and Lana Beniko have a couple of conversations about the damage that was done to the Alliance over the last few flashpoints (The 'Traitor' arc) and how it has left the Alliance more or less unable to stand against both Republic and Empire at the same time. The conclusion reached is that the Alliance will have to side with one or the other faction, effectively to cut down the number of possible opponents.

Here's where it gets interesting. Republic characters can side with the Republic and Empire characters can side with the Empire straight up, loyal to the uniform and loyal to the cause, all that rah-rah-rah, 'For the Whatever!' stuff. BUT. You can also choose to side with the opposing faction, Republic with Empire, Empire with Republic. If you do, you have a meeting with a representative of the faction's respective intelligence service who basically says "We don't want you to openly declare for us, we want you to return to your former allies and undermine them from within. There's no better spy than a hero." If you choose to accept this, then throughout the Onslaught expansion (Ossus, Onderon, Mek-Sha and Corellia, plus a few mini-missions in between), you're presented with options to sabotage your old faction - trick Imperial bombers into attacking their own base, transmit Republic agricultural data on reclaiming irradiated soil to the Empire, etc.

This is supposed to have an effect on the war effort - Sith Lords killed for incompetence with Saboteurs undermining them are successful in their missions if a Loyalist aids them, Republic forces that a loyalist would have helped escape are led into traps by saboteurs, and so forth. - but while details of who wins where and who lives or dies change, the overall storyline remains the same. It's something that there are complaints about...

So, in harsh terms, to be a Saboteur is to be a traitor to your own faction. Fun for those who like that, not something I can do. I had thought it meant be a Republic Class, choose the Empire, but then undermine the Empire's efforts while playing the Empire story because you're secretly still a Republic hero. Vice versa playing an Empire Class. That is something I can get behind. Oh well. It's a me thing. Loyalist all the way, either side.

So what happens when as a Republic Class you choose Empire but don't accept being a Saboteur and vice versa as an Empire Class?

From what I've gathered...

If you choose the opposing faction, then don't actually act as a double-agent, after Corellia your intelligence contact demands you meet them and explain your 'shortcomings' in person. At that point, you can either make excuses like 'I was winning their trust' and carry on as a double-agent (at least until next time they want answers), or you can choose to 'end saboteur role permanently'...

As with all good spy stories, that kind of resignation is done by a gunshot to the head. In this case, your gun and your contact is the one who gets it in the head.

Edited by turbomagnus